Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

CME Loses SG license

mklinicmklinic Member RarePosts: 1,981

interesting news:

http://blogs.evtrib.com/nerdvana/2010/11/09/stargate_cheyenne-mountain-entertainment/

There is also some discussion about CME getting assets back, however, I don't fully understand the relationship between the various studios in the ruling so maybe someone else could speak to that piece.

-mklinic

"Do something right, no one remembers.
Do something wrong, no one forgets"
-from No One Remembers by In Strict Confidence

Comments

• TarkaTarka Member Posts: 1,662

Interesting read, thanks.

So basically, CME have gotten their assets back from Dark Comet Games and Fresh Start Studios, but unfortunately MGM have now terminated CME's licence of the Stargate IP which allows them to produce Stargate based games.

You gotta love office politics.

• GamerAeonGamerAeon Member Posts: 567

so SG:W has gone the way of SG:U and is now lost in the universe

MGM are a fickle Mistress indeed

• Daffid011Daffid011 Member UncommonPosts: 7,945

Worst of all they stole Gary Whitings good name! 

• GrayGhost79GrayGhost79 Member UncommonPosts: 4,775

Originally posted by GamerAeon

Pretty much lol. Sad really because a SG based MMO with a new SG series could have done wonders for the IP. It had the potential to be bigger than Star Trek. Wasted potential :*

Originally posted by GrayGhost79

Pretty much lol. Sad really because a SG based MMO with a new SG series could have done wonders for the IP. It had the potential to be bigger than Star Trek. Wasted potential :*

Tell me about it

When I first heard about SG:U I envisioned something akin to SG1s many many adventures to wonderous and far off planets meeting many alien races and Atlantis' many encounters with varieties of familiar races and the whole alternate dimension aliens was cool too

But SG:U is a FRICKEN Soap Opera in Space!!!!!!!!!!!!! *RAGE!!!*

Originally posted by GrayGhost79

Tell me about it

When I first heard about SG:U I envisioned something akin to SG1s many many adventures to wonderous and far off planets meeting many alien races and Atlantis' many encounters with varieties of familiar races and the whole alternate dimension aliens was cool too

But SG:U is a FRICKEN Soap Opera in Space!!!!!!!!!!!!! *RAGE!!!*

Yeah, it's like they were bent on making a Battlestar Galactica 2 but decided to name it SGU instead lol. 

"So this is how Scifi IP's die.... with lame soap opera story lines"  Padme's geeky cousin

• mklinicmklinic Member RarePosts: 1,981

/sheepishly: I sorta like SG:U... :P

-mklinic

Originally posted by mklinic

Blasphemy!! lol

Stargate IP Must stay true to the spirit of the Original Motion Picture to go against that is death

SG:U goes against that and if they don't start Being more Farscape and less Days of our Lives the show will bomb before Season 3

lol no worries, I know there is an audience for this kind of show. It just isn't really a SG show. Would have been better as an original series. Doesn't focus on that us vs. them lets save the universe kind of experience that SG has become known for. If they hadn't named it SGU and named it something like "Destiny: The way home" or w/e and developed their own lore and back ground for it then it would have likely been a lot better received. 

• mklinicmklinic Member RarePosts: 1,981

Blasphemy!! lol

Stargate IP Must stay true to the spirit of the Original Motion Picture to go against that is death

SG:U goes against that and if they don't start Being more Farscape and less Days of our Lives the show will bomb before Season 3

heh, I dunno. What's it cost like $5 to make an episode? The show could last forever :P

Not to derail to much off the original topic, I think SG:U is a neat offshoot within the IP. I do wish there was a bit more of the exploration/planet side action to it as right now they just seem to be drifting about and/or running form aliens (I can't really tell to be honest).

Also, on topic, the article certainly let Whiting paint himself as a victim. This seems to contradict a lot of previous conversation that has taken place on CME's legal issues, but I'll leave that to others to expand on...

edit: GrayGhost79, what about "SG:Destiny"? I mean SG:U doesn't really capture the idea of the show and really "Universe" aside from being where they are, has nothing specific to do with the show.

-mklinic

CME didn't do a bang up Job in the first place of Development

It was slow, clunky, and things blew up constantly

I am inclined to remember the last beta test they ever did of SG:W and it fried one of the Network servers.

SG:W was SUPPOSED to be linked to SG:U but they took forever SG:U hit first and the only relic left of SG:W is the pilot episode of SG:U where the guy is playing the game on his PC.

• fatboy21007fatboy21007 Member Posts: 409

hey SGU is all that's left. so ill gadly keep watching it XD

• TarkaTarka Member Posts: 1,662

I think I read somewhere that they are making a Stargate Atlantis made-for-tv film.

So all is not lost for the IP.....yet.

yeah they've been at work on it since '09

It's supposedly the closer for SG1/SG:A and rumored to hint at Destiny

• fatboy21007fatboy21007 Member Posts: 409

hate to break it to ya but last i seen all movies SG related as far as i seen were canceled for now. MGM's pocket books arent doin so good.

• HathiHathi Member Posts: 236

I am warming up to SGU. It was a decent series

Finally - Best site for Chuck Norris
    http://www.chucknorrisfacts.com/

• BurntvetBurntvet Member RarePosts: 3,465

About the actual topic, for fans of the SG franchise, this is a very good thing, indeed.

Until MGM reclaimed the IP rights, they could not sell them to anyone else, that is say, not a company run by a polygamous mormon con man running a ponzi scheme / MLM marketing scam company.

Good riddance to bad rubbish.

Hopefully the next company will be better (and not SOE or Cryptic).

• AsheramAsheram Member EpicPosts: 5,071

Blasphemy!! lol

Well SG:U could never live up to the movie,unless they somehow convinced Kurt Russell to continually star in it =p.

• RagemasterRagemaster Member UncommonPosts: 131

Good news, CME was a terrible company that went bankrupt and was unable to deliver.  allegedly ran by a con artist as well, I love stargate, and hope they can deliver a MMO that is fun.

As for all the Universe haters , lol, why is everyone talkign like its dead, its in season 2 and theres no word on whether its going to be renewed or cancelled... .. i bet it will live on  since caprica was just put to the axe... The first half of season 1 was kinda slow but it gets really good season post season 1.5.

• lovecloneloveclone Member Posts: 57

I'm a little happy that the "fresh start studios" or "Dark Comet Games" folks have also been called for their fraud.   Regardless of how screwed up CME was and that the company was going down, they (Dark Comet Games) managed to basically steal all the remaining assets, collect any money coming in from SGR to PAY THEMSELVES  (not the poor folks of CME that went for months and months without pay).    

All this while they were working on other ventures during company hours and trying to get ALL of the SGR money to pay their fat asses each week.    Shameful! 

The greed never stopped .... just went from one company name to another.

• TylantiaTylantia Member UncommonPosts: 69

Originally posted by Daffid011

I hope to god thats sarcasm ;)

# SW:TOR : Tylantia, Sivis, Aeonis, Aehris, Xaehrin, Vhyce, Tehren, Suvis
    # Ryzom : Kasumi / Secor / Anuihlm
    # City of Heroes/Villains : @Tylantia
    # Age of Empires Online : Tylantia (Abydos server)
    # Stargate Worlds : Kadael
    # WoW : Tylantia, Siinaar, Sivis, Moofangles, Aehr, Cehr, Chaizen, Ocep, Tzias

• SemperFiVetSemperFiVet Member Posts: 83

Whiting along with several of his co-conspirators  have taken in over $75Million dollars from investors to launch Stargate. He has imbezzled and squandered, to the best of our knowledge, over $35 MILLION . The shame of it all, is the Stargate Worlds game was so close to completion and production. It would have been a monumental money making venture and place of employment for all for years to come, if it were not for the likes of Gary Whitting, Fred Gagon, Tim Jenson and a tight group of accomplices.

These are not just words of discontent, these are facts backed up by facts.. One day soon, the Arizona Corporate Commission, the Arizona AG and the SEC will catch up with Whitting, and they will hopefully put this crook where he belongs, behind bars.

He especially preyed on the Mormon community. Supposedly a Mormon himself, albeit a practicing polygamist, he took MILLIONS from his own religious brothers. Even his family was duped. Read below just one of thousands of emails and statements I received while fighting this thief. This from a relative!!!

I have never gotten involved with bulletin boards etc. but read with interest your comments on Mr. Whiting. I am ashamed to say that Gary Whiting is a distant relative of mine I had never met him until I was presented a real estate/loan deal over 2 years ago here in Utah involving him. Fred Gagon was also involved. A friend and I were completely de-frauded. Gary comes from good roots. I guess he fell far from the tree. He is a real scumbag. I have tried to reach him for 2 years. He knew the reason I trusted him was due to the relationship. Anyone who invested with him can say goodbye to their investment. They just as well offset their income with their loss.

Curious, is Stargate even still in business?

Michael J. Bodell Sr.

President / CEO

Bodell Construction

586 Fine Drive | Salt Lake City, Utah | 84115

801.261.4343 ext. 318 Tel. | 801.261.1020 Fax

http://www.bodellconstruction.com

By the way, Fred Gagon was, and probably still is, Whitting’s right hand guy. He held almost every investor meeting at CME and his card reads “Co-Founder” . If you were raising millions for a straight “new investment”, would you employ a person who had been permanently banned in Arizona for fraud years earlier. Also, how curious would it be if Whitting were involved in that very fraud?? Simply refer to the Maricopa County records, do a little research on Freg Gagon and a company called Para Mas, from the mid 90s..

You want the truth about this guy, “I’m your Huckleberry”, to coin a phrase from a great old movie.. And Im not a discontented investor who lost my money, I was one of the very few who was to persuade this thief  to give our money back!!

Respectfully,

Robert L Guenther Sr.

Coppell, Texas 75019

Dallas 972.471.4408 Arizona 480.629.4265

Mobile 214.587.3977 [email protected]

• EACableEACable Member Posts: 3

One net search later.... http://www.patrickpretty.com/tag/asdmba/

Originally posted by SemperFiVet

Whiting along with several of his co-conspirators  have taken in over $75Million dollars from investors to launch Stargate. He has imbezzled and squandered, to the best of our knowledge, over $35 MILLION . The shame of it all, is the Stargate Worlds game was so close to completion and production. It would have been a monumental money making venture and place of employment for all for years to come, if it were not for the likes of Gary Whitting, Fred Gagon, Tim Jenson and a tight group of accomplices.

These are not just words of discontent, these are facts backed up by facts.. One day soon, the Arizona Corporate Commission, the Arizona AG and the SEC will catch up with Whitting, and they will hopefully put this crook where he belongs, behind bars.

He especially preyed on the Mormon community. Supposedly a Mormon himself, albeit a practicing polygamist, he took MILLIONS from his own religious brothers. Even his family was duped. Read below just one of thousands of emails and statements I received while fighting this thief. This from a relative!!!

I have never gotten involved with bulletin boards etc. but read with interest your comments on Mr. Whiting. I am ashamed to say that Gary Whiting is a distant relative of mine I had never met him until I was presented a real estate/loan deal over 2 years ago here in Utah involving him. Fred Gagon was also involved. A friend and I were completely de-frauded. Gary comes from good roots. I guess he fell far from the tree. He is a real scumbag. I have tried to reach him for 2 years. He knew the reason I trusted him was due to the relationship. Anyone who invested with him can say goodbye to their investment. They just as well offset their income with their loss.

Curious, is Stargate even still in business?

Michael J. Bodell Sr.

President / CEO

Bodell Construction

586 Fine Drive | Salt Lake City, Utah | 84115

801.261.4343 ext. 318 Tel. | 801.261.1020 Fax

http://www.bodellconstruction.com

By the way, Fred Gagon was, and probably still is, Whitting’s right hand guy. He held almost every investor meeting at CME and his card reads “Co-Founder” . If you were raising millions for a straight “new investment”, would you employ a person who had been permanently banned in Arizona for fraud years earlier. Also, how curious would it be if Whitting were involved in that very fraud?? Simply refer to the Maricopa County records, do a little research on Freg Gagon and a company called Para Mas, from the mid 90s..

You want the truth about this guy, “I’m your Huckleberry”, to coin a phrase from a great old movie.. And Im not a discontented investor who lost my money, I was one of the very few who was to persuade this thief  to give our money back!!

Respectfully,

Robert L Guenther Sr.

Coppell, Texas 75019

Dallas 972.471.4408 Arizona 480.629.4265

Mobile 214.587.3977 [email protected]

• Daffid011Daffid011 Member UncommonPosts: 7,945

Originally posted by Tylantia

“They took everything I owned and they took … besides my personal property they took my good name,” he said. “When I watched Iron Man, that was my life right there on the screen because of what these guys did to me.”

See?  Gary Whiting is like Robert Downey Jr in that super hero movie and we should feel sorry for him that some group of game designers took his money and his good name.  A video game company took his money and left him feeling cheated and violated.  What is the world coming to!

• TylantiaTylantia Member UncommonPosts: 69

Originally posted by Tylantia

“They took everything I owned and they took … besides my personal property they took my good name,” he said. “When I watched Iron Man, that was my life right there on the screen because of what these guys did to me.”

See?  Gary Whiting is like Robert Downey Jr in that super hero movie and we should feel sorry for him that some group of game designers took his money and his good name.  A video game company took his money and left him feeling cheated and violated.  What is the world coming to!

hehe yeah.......when in actual reality he and his rag-tag group of missfits stole it all, filtered it through multiple other companies and eventually moaned becaused he was "ousted".

Luckily Whiting and the known accomplices don't have enough leverage within CME to do anything without the full co-operation of the other investors/named members.

At least now we're finally beginning to see closure; just need to wrap it all up and hopefully get a company going sometime that'll want the IP and assets :)

# SW:TOR : Tylantia, Sivis, Aeonis, Aehris, Xaehrin, Vhyce, Tehren, Suvis
    # Ryzom : Kasumi / Secor / Anuihlm
    # City of Heroes/Villains : @Tylantia
    # Age of Empires Online : Tylantia (Abydos server)
    # Stargate Worlds : Kadael
    # WoW : Tylantia, Siinaar, Sivis, Moofangles, Aehr, Cehr, Chaizen, Ocep, Tzias