Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

All Points Bulletin: Officially Going F2P in 2011

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129

The official word has come about the purchase and future publication of All Points Bulletin by Reloaded Productions, Inc., a wholly owned subsidiary of Gamersfirst. Reloaded has purchased the intellectual property rights to APB. The game will be published sometime in the first half of 2011.

"APB was a game that had several exceptional features and some brilliant ideas, even though it was plagued by some initial balance and monetization issues," says Bjorn Book-Larsson, CTO and COO of GamersFirst, and responsible for GamersFirst’s studio and game development efforts. "We want to take all the unique features of this title, such as its unparalleled character, weapon and car customization systems, and convert the game to a true free-to-play game. We are deep into the planning and early execution stages for this next chapter of APB and we will share more details in the near future. In order to put ‘Gamers First’ we will also actively engage the community in many aspects of all the planned changes.

Read more here.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• Mr.AwwsomeMr.Awwsome Member Posts: 48

Awesome, just awesome. I really enjoyed this game and am happy to see that it is coming back. It may not be a real MMORPG, but it is a ton of fun.

[Mod Edit]

Talking bout the issues..and keepin it funky.

• XirikXirik Member UncommonPosts: 440

I am VERY happy about this however I am wondering how the FTP company will handle hackers and if they will have a cashshop that only allows you to rent items instead of keeping them forever.

"You have some serious mental issues you may need to seek some help for. There are others who post things, but do not post them in the way you do. Out of every person who posts crazy shit in this forum, you have some of the craziest and scariest" -FarReach

• RyukanRyukan Member UncommonPosts: 829

It's good to see this game coming back as f2p, I would probably get back into it as a f2p. Frankly it should have never been released as with a p2p/subscription model, that was the fundamental reason for its downfall right there. I think it will be more successful as a f2p game, I'll be looking back into it, not if they can just nail down the hacking/cheating in it and balance out the matchmaking setup for missions and faction interaction.

• GrayGhost79GrayGhost79 Member UncommonPosts: 4,775

Well... have to say this makes me happy. I've missed APB oO, don't really get the same experience in single player games and there's not another MMO like it. Crime Craft and Global Agenda are just to much of a lobby game setup. APB had a good open world feel to it that I just haven't found shooter wise. The Customization was out there as well, I miss my cars lol. 

• DF08SaidDF08Said Member UncommonPosts: 24

F2P OO AWESOME!!! FINNALY!!! :D im happy that i can spend som quality time on making a Emulator for this game haha xD

• WolfClawsWolfClaws Member UncommonPosts: 638

All of this wont mean squat if they don't fix the cheating bastards.

• ArskaaaArskaaa Member RarePosts: 1,265

even tis game come free, its still sucks so much its not even whorth it.

• AristidesAristides Member Posts: 172

Always good to see a property that people poured their sweat and tears into gain a new lease on life.  Unfortunately, the developers are the ones who should have seen whatever reward from the sale, not some fat cat bankruptcy lawyers, which is what probably happened.

This industry is not kind to those who do the work.

• afoaaafoaa Member UncommonPosts: 578

I wonder if our old characters will be ported over to the F2P version?

"You are the hero our legends have foretold will save our tribe, therefore please go kill 10 pigs."

• svbrucey23svbrucey23 Member Posts: 32

The old veterans who actually bought this game and paid for the subscription better get their characters ported or something, i refuse to be treated like an equal to all the f2p scrubs showing up. I demand a demi-god status

• AvaritaAvarita Member UncommonPosts: 10

We would hardly get our chars back afoaa... But still this is one good info. Lets just see how they handle F2P micromanagement. If they decide to stay with APB(or whatever you wanna call them) points for auction, items etc.. It might be good and well worth going back again.

• PryettaPryetta Member UncommonPosts: 260

Originally posted by svbrucey23

The old veterans who actually bought this game and paid for the subscription better get their characters ported or something, i refuse to be treated like an equal to all the f2p scrubs showing up. I demand a demi-god status

Lol, too bad. You are going to be like the rest of the F2p scrubs, get use to it.

• HepisodicHepisodic Member Posts: 328

Yeah I hope our toons gets ported over. I refused to replay this game from scratch. I want to play it but not as a scrub toon after I reached 227 rank. Leveling wasn't super easy while being shot at. lol

Veritas Vos Liberabit- The truth will set you free.

• MykellMykell Member UncommonPosts: 780

Wonder if they will remove customerisation options and put them in a cash shop.

• Deathwing980Deathwing980 Member UncommonPosts: 80

Originally posted by Mykell

Wonder if they will remove customerisation options and put them in a cash shop.

im going to bet on cash shop, only way to support servers now a days for the young children who aparently are smart enough to steal their parents credit cards and use them like no tomorrow for things like this...

granted i wish we had kept the monthly pay, eve does it so well with some in game credits to buy game time (hell why not do that in ALL GAMES) make life easier for everyone who play a shitload and make game time in game for a living...

anyways, i havent really gotten a chance to play this game, didnt have the specs for it when it came out and when i finally got a computer to run it they go and shut it down... so yeah, im going to look forward to playing it free even if it may suck now (when things drastically change)

• ThornrageThornrage Member UncommonPosts: 659

Originally posted by WolfClaws

All of this wont mean squat if they don't fix the cheating bastards.

IMO, that is what killed the game. We had a clan of over 100 people but the cheating caused most of us to leave.

"I don't give a sh*t what other people say. I play what I like and I'll pay to do it too!" - SerialMMOist

• GruugGruug Member RarePosts: 1,791

It is great news...if you play f2p poj's....I don't so could really care less.

Let's party like it is 1863!

• urthal22urthal22 Member UncommonPosts: 108

it failed before it will fail again... Cheaters + Itemisations of good weapons into Item Shops... ehh.. yea...no ...  Will still give it a try if its compatible with the Old version

otherwise ill pass

• harvest151harvest151 Member UncommonPosts: 217

Glad to see it back under new management. Sad to see that some no name free to play company has it.  Free to play is fine, but the hacking will be totally out of control unless they REALLY focus on the anti-cheat measures hardcore.  Anti-cheat, weapon balance, driving mechanics, varied mission type with more than press f, run here, press f. Add a few zones...

They could have a awesome reboot. only time will tell I suppose.

• SuperXero89SuperXero89 Member UncommonPosts: 2,551

Nice to see this going F2P.  Actually looking forward to trying it now

• kamikkazekamikkaze Member Posts: 83

i believe F2P games will dominate the mmo genre

and I think it's better for companies and for us, players. Have my reasons and i dont want to write now...

(and don't come with "you r a freebie...blablabla", i paid lotro for over 2 years and now its free and imo, it is kind better, WoW kids stayed on azeroth...they fear Sauron...)

LOTRO player

• ditto101ditto101 Member Posts: 13

Originally posted by Spiritof55

um yeah, f2p......lots of cheap bastards that can't afford 15 bucks a month but spend triple that with their cell phones will love this.

yeah 45 dollar cell phones are a waste the 5 dollar big ones that cant fit in your pocket are better but hey instead of a phone get three months for a game so if yah need to call someone well hey you got a game yay

• Cik_AsalinCik_Asalin Member Posts: 3,033

ftp worked with DDO, LotRO, now EQ2. . .now APB....how bad can it be.  I'll give it a shot.

• TheUnknownMTheUnknownM Member UncommonPosts: 29

This game rocks wen i played it the trial ran up i got sad but now this lol i know 5 P2P mmorpg's being F2P this now world of warcraft F2P in 2020? xD

• Xses420Xses420 Member UncommonPosts: 6

Originally posted by Vinterkrig

Originally posted by Spiritof55

um yeah, f2p......lots of cheap bastards that can't afford 15 bucks a month but spend triple that with their cell phones will love this.

it wasn't worth $15 a month, the game just lacked content... aside from customizations