Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

MineCraft is WAY better (And Cheaper)

2»

Comments

• VexiusxVexiusx Member UncommonPosts: 212

Sorry but this topic makes no sense, first off Minecraft is not a MMORPG, Lego universe is (if u dont agree with me on this part i suggest you look up the meaning of mmorpg.)

Minecraft is a nice game, but the graphics are from doom1, the building system is just click  and a very limited small crafting system. It has no mini-games, no adventure. Dont get me wrong it's a good game for your 9 dollar or w/e the price was.

Lego Universe is like the very big brother of Minecraft, it has up to standard graphics, it has in-game cinematics, it has a storyline, it has over 80,000 diffrent bricks, it has mini-games with highscores, it has a storyline, it has a adventure, it has races you can become and quest with them to achieve better weapons/combat levels, achievements, and so much more.

Tbh everyone who is saying minecraft is better didn't even bother to research Lego Universe.

Conclusion, Minecraft is cheaper and it's a nice game but is not a MMORPG and cant be compared to Lego Universe.

Lego Universe is more expensive, but instead you get so so so much more then minecraft and Lego Universe is a mmorpg.

• KareshKaresh Member UncommonPosts: 242

Originally posted by mewhywhy

Sorry but this topic makes no sense, first off Minecraft is not a MMORPG, Lego universe is (if u dont agree with me on this part i suggest you look up the meaning of mmorpg.)

Minecraft is a nice game, but the graphics are from doom1, the building system is just click  and a very limited small crafting system. It has no mini-games, no adventure. Dont get me wrong it's a good game for your 9 dollar or w/e the price was.

Lego Universe is like the very big brother of Minecraft, it has up to standard graphics, it has in-game cinematics, it has a storyline, it has over 80,000 diffrent bricks, it has mini-games with highscores, it has a storyline, it has a adventure, it has races you can become and quest with them to achieve better weapons/combat levels, achievements, and so much more.

Tbh everyone who is saying minecraft is better didn't even bother to research Lego Universe.

Conclusion, Minecraft is cheaper and it's a nice game but is not a MMORPG and cant be compared to Lego Universe.

Lego Universe is more expensive, but instead you get so so so much more then minecraft and Lego Universe is a mmorpg.

I wouldn't say lego universe is like a big brother to minecraft. They are 2 completely different games. I'm also pretty sure if you played minecraft, you only played the free version which is nothing like the paid version. In the paid version you actually have to mine your ore, and chop trees for wood, etc. There are also monsters which come out at night and inhabit dark areas. Honestly, Minecraft has my vote...you can be so much more creative than Lego Universe (of course you can, they're 2 different games), and once the halloween update comes out, there will be a ton more features (including multiplayer supporting monsters).

• VexiusxVexiusx Member UncommonPosts: 212

Originally posted by Karesh

Originally posted by mewhywhy

I wouldn't say lego universe is like a big brother to minecraft. They are 2 completely different games. I'm also pretty sure if you played minecraft, you only played the free version which is nothing like the paid version. In the paid version you actually have to mine your ore, and chop trees for wood, etc. There are also monsters which come out at night and inhabit dark areas. Honestly, Minecraft has my vote...you can be so much more creative than Lego Universe (of course you can, they're 2 different games), and once the halloween update comes out, there will be a ton more features (including multiplayer supporting monsters).

I have the full version of minecraft thats why i say it's not bad. But compared to Lego Universe it remains it's little brother in my honest opnion. Have you played Lego Universe yet?

I'll repeat myself, Minecraft provides doom1 graphics, and has no adventure to it. I know at night some random zombies spawn but it doesn't add any story line/adventure to the game. All you have to do is build a house and craft some weapons.

For your money Minecraft is nice!

But Lego Universe (more expensive) gives you wayyyy better graphics, achievements, mmorpg (new friends work togather etc) And has a way more in depth building system unlike the 20/30 blocks u get in minecraft u have over 80,000 bricks to play with. Btw, did you know that there is a whole script creator to make objects do anything u can think of really anything!

It's all about how much money you want to spend.

• xsharkeyesxxsharkeyesx Member Posts: 119

Looks like someone got enough money to pay for some e-marketing... this thread is getting a bit stupid don't you think? Minecraft isn't an MMO. As such, the two cannot be compared. It's like saying "Apples are WAY better than Cars!". 

End of discussion.

`Shark

• TerranahTerranah Member UncommonPosts: 3,575

LOL, Lego looks a lot better than Minecraft.  Lego has style and humor; Minecraft looks like someones college project...amateurish and ugly.

• GreenChaosGreenChaos Member Posts: 2,268

You all realize you can play lego universe and minecraft right?  I do.  There is no contract you sign that says you can only play one.

I am sure each game offers things the other doesn’t.  I love the free-for-all-ness that minecraft but I got bored with it rather fast.  I still like it, I’m just not obsessed anymore.  So it isn’t the “end of all building games, don’t even try any others”.    

• theartisttheartist Member Posts: 553

Originally posted by TheHatter

"If you want a REAL MMO ...., it's MineCraft."

Minecraft isn't an MMO.

Minecraft only has a multiplayer option that's horribly bugged. 

Well that's cuz it's beta and in the month since this was posted it's improved quite a bit.

Minecraft is going to change MMOs. If not video games in general.

• Loke666Loke666 Member EpicPosts: 21,441

Originally posted by Terranah

LOL, Lego looks a lot better than Minecraft.  Lego has style and humor; Minecraft looks like someones college project...amateurish and ugly.

Minecraft is made by a single guy (Who Valve works very hard to recruit). Of course it will look amateurish compared to a game with millions of dollars in budget.

But the concept is actually very good and it might become an interesting thing in future when the dev actually is getting a budget.

When was the last time you saw a game made by a single guy? Those games were common for C-64 but even with Amiga it was rare. and he worked less than 2 years on it.

Compared to the resources both games have Minecraft is vastly superior. Minecraft 2 or another game with a good budget from the same guy have the potential to become really great.

• BeansnBreadBeansnBread Member EpicPosts: 7,254

I don't know which game is "better" but Minecraft is a hell of a game.

• TerranahTerranah Member UncommonPosts: 3,575

Originally posted by Loke666

Originally posted by Terranah

Minecraft is made by a single guy (Who Valve works very hard to recruit). Of course it will look amateurish compared to a game with millions of dollars in budget.

But the concept is actually very good and it might become an interesting thing in future when the dev actually is getting a budget.

When was the last time you saw a game made by a single guy? Those games were common for C-64 but even with Amiga it was rare. and he worked less than 2 years on it.

Compared to the resources both games have Minecraft is vastly superior. Minecraft 2 or another game with a good budget from the same guy have the potential to become really great.

I don't care if 1 person made the game or a 100 people.  I just want to play a game and have fun.  Lego is clearly a more quality product.  The fact that only one guy is working on Minecraft if anything is a detractor.  It says no one cared enough to invest and develop this concept further.

• GithernGithern Member Posts: 79

You can tell when someone has played minecraft and when they haven't. Long Live NOTCH!! If you don't agree with this I shall send a creeper fortwith and then sick one of the lego simps after you and see which one hurts more.

• TemploTemplo Member Posts: 3

Yeah...I'm going to have to agree that, at this point, Minecraft is simply a much better game. Both are accessible to younger children, and while Minecraft might be a bit more complicated, it's still easy enough for a 10-year-old to pick up and play, while older players will find themselves building much more complicated structures and replicas.

I have both Lego Universe and Minecraft. Minecraft is an icon on my desktop at the moment and I'm still playing it to this day. Lego Universe is on the verge of being uninstalled, I'm currently waiting out the free month to see if they add any content at all. The fact is, LU just doesn't have enough content to justify a monthly subscription at this point. I got it in the mail a couple weeks back, installed it, played it for a while, and by the end of the next day I had done almost every quest in the game. This is with a job and sleeping, mind you.

The content isn't LU's only problem. I'm sure everyone here is well aware that it's an MMO, but after playing it I could hardly call it that. There are only two points in the game where you can actually party with anyone, and the party system is more like a waiting room where you hope someone joins you. One is a boss fight, and the other is a survival minigame. Right now, you cannot party with people on the field, and having players nearby is actually detrimental to you. There is no system in place to protect you from being KS'd, and the loot system is..strange. The most I can make of it is that whoever lands the killing blow gets the loot. This, coupled with groups of players in the same area, means that everyone just whacks each others' mobs and steals everyone else's loot, whether they mean to or not. I say this because the auto-target system frequently causes you to hit things you don't mean to, which is especially annoying in situations such as an explosive treasure chest that instantly kills you.

I've been around the MMO market for a while, I know that games don't come out perfect. MMOs are frequently released at an unfinished state and are patched up while people begin to play. LU is no exception, there are bugs everywhere, although they can be fixed in future patches.

As for Minecraft, I haven't really noticed any major bugs. In fact, in all my time playing Minecraft, which hasn't gone golden yet, I haven't encountered any bugs at all. Maybe I'm just lucky, I don't know. I haven't attempted the multiplayer, but I hear it's a lot of fun.

One of the things that really gets me is just that LU is so limiting with what you can do. They go on and on about using your imagination, when really you are limited to a tiny planet. Sure, you can rent other lots, but really, nobody is going to see anything you do unless they visit your specific planet. As for the builder, I haven't really messed with brick-by-brick, but placing models is pretty easy I'll admit. The coding language is easy to figure out as well. But at the end of the day, when you sit back and look at your creation, what are you going to do with it? It's there in the game, you built it, but it can never leave your little planet.

In Minecraft you literally take pieces from the world to build whatever you want, and I have seen some pretty amazing things in the Minecraft world on youtube. Castles, towns, working roller coasters, mines with tunnel systems (and working minecarts throughout those), recreations of sprites from video games, all kinds of stuff. Granted, Minecraft has been out longer, but I just feel like LU's builder is too limited to be truly Lego. Maybe in time they'll bump it up to be really impressive, but right now I feel like Minecraft is more Lego than LU.

As for the graphics, I feel like it's really unfair to compare Minecraft to LU. The team size is completely different, and so is the art direction. Minecraft looks the way it does because that's the way it's supposed to look. Simple, but easy enough to tell what everything is. The art style is inspired by 8-bit. And recently, Jnkboy has joined the team, which is very promising. Look him up on deviantart, he is really an amazing artist, especially his pixel arts. I love the art in Minecraft, and I feel like if they had done it any other way, it just wouldn't have worked. Plus, it makes it really easy to create your own models to use for your character, so that's a plus. That's better than totally gimping your character in LU by wearing some of the countless and absolutely useless garments in that game.

MC has had a little more time than LU I believe, but they've already pumped out a content update for a whole new realm (Hell). LU is new and  given time they could add some great new things, but right now? I'd say don't waste your money. Even a 10-year-old will exhaust the content and get bored with it in its current state.

• MogcatMogcat Member UncommonPosts: 193

Lego has more personality and charm. Mindcraft is interesting but doesnt have a personality yet or much charm. Also lego universe has more games like racing, pets ect. Also at the moment Lego Universe may offer this plot of land to play around with millions of blocks and other interesting things. People keep bringing up that minecraft is still in development but who says lego univers wont grow to the point you can build a whole 'universe'?

Mincraft and Lego Universe are both great for what they offer.

• neorandomneorandom Member Posts: 1,681

on the space map loading screen of lego universe you can see all the places you can currently go, and a few hundred other rocks not yet open, on more then one of the current maps there are spots that tell you its not currently safe to go further, like the spider cave in the first place you land after leaving the wrecked ship.

minecraft is a 1 man show with no support, never heard of it, glad you like it

lego universe is a nice big undertaking with who knows what in the works, and i like it

• mastersomratmastersomrat Member UncommonPosts: 373

Minecraft?  Really?  What is wrong with people?  Haven't played LU but looks pretty good for children (and maybe a little fun as well for of old folk).  Yes; graphics also play a part in games and it's now 2011 so Minecraft, while interesting = 1970s.  Archy Bunker would have loved that game.  There are some games out there for the crafter such as WURM (great game but again, graphics = 1986.  Anyway, LU is far better than Minecraft (and I can say that without ever had played either).  MInecraft?  Really?  I just can beleive someone said this.  I feel like I in the 70's,  Now I'm looking for the budda man.

• shinobi234shinobi234 Member Posts: 437

Originally posted by Plasmicredx

Quite frankly I don't understand why there is even a lego MMO. There should be some sort of Lego Universe game but not in the formula of an MMO.

dude this games for kids not for you if you dont like legos dont dis it go play other mmrpgs then

• niceguy3978niceguy3978 Member UncommonPosts: 2,047

Originally posted by colddog04

I don't know which game is "better" but Minecraft is a hell of a game.

I can't really get into minecraft, my son, however, absolutely loves it.