Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Mortal Online: Survivor Guy: Mortal Online Edition Pt. 2

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129

Last week, MMORPG.com's one and only Survivor Guy, Adam Tingle, gave the first part of his Mortal Online report. During his early time, Adam found the game to be much like Ultima Online with plenty to like even with potential death lurking around many corners. In Survivor Guy: Mortal Online Edition Pt. 2, Farming & Pig Taming, the Kindness of Strangers and more. If you've played or are thinking about playing Mortal Online, check out Adam's thoughts. Afterward, head over and post your thoughts.

Battered, bruised, and broken I emerged from the shade of the woodland. Catching a glimpse at my feet I noticed they were bare and unclothed - the gang that had moments ago chased me out of town, killing me in the process, had taken my shoes, my shoes. While it is true that just hours previously these garments were in the comfortable possession of an over-confident woodcutter, I was still bewildered at the monstrosity of people. Putting on a brave face I set out into the wilderness; in my mind I was a hardened adventurer - my naked feet simply added to the illusion that I was the Mortal Online equivalent of John McLane. Yippi-ki-yay-mother-effers.

Read more Survivor Guy: Mortal Online Edition Pt. 2.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• AethaerynAethaeryn Member RarePosts: 3,149

Just a few points:

There are towns without guards (if you want to stay a thief etc)

There are no shoes (armour seems to come with them and I get the what you were pointing out. . just noting . . they should actually add shoes so you can take them :)

You typod on Nave.

Your murdercount / flag will wear off. 

There truly is a large learning curve.  I think us old timers forget that sometimes and expect people to just "get over it".  

Nice write up. . I hope you continue.  it was a good read and I am curious what you will think after some more time in game.  The game is a breath of fresh air when you first play due to the things that are different.   It is how long that last that seems to be what will keep this game floating or not.  that or what they can do with it in the future.

Wa min God! Se æx on min heafod is!

• maharetmaharet Member Posts: 115

I would like you to tell me a little more about the gameplay and leave out the roleplay.  It seems you did not research the game at all.  First it is Nave not Vane.  And there are "red" towns that do not have guards.  A "red" can not go into a "blue" town.   If you just did 60 seconds of readin on the forums you would know all of this.

• Slapshot1188Slapshot1188 Member LegendaryPosts: 16,982

I made my feelings known in the comments to part one...

... I just want to add that you got the name of the world wrong.  It's not "Vane"...

All time classic  MY NEW FAVORITE POST!  (Keep laying those bricks)

"I should point out that no other company has shipped out a beta on a disc before this." - Official Mortal Online Lead Community Moderator

Proudly wearing the Harbinger badge since Dec 23, 2017. 

Coined the phrase "Role-Playing a Development Team" January 2018

"Oddly Slap is the main reason I stay in these forums." - Mystichaze April 9th 2018

• EladiEladi Member UncommonPosts: 1,145

First of all, great writing there, love to read your light rp view of it all.

to the guys above me,  Vane .. Nave.. its a damn typo, chill out.

He plays to discover, not to read 60sec-60min of forum material how to do things the best way.  He actualy Plays the game.

He learns as I learned the first days when nobody knew shit.

• MOstyleMOstyle Member Posts: 33

cant wait for the next :d

• maharetmaharet Member Posts: 115

This page would of told him what he needs to know and why he gets guard whacked.  

http://www.mortalonline.com/faq

I think it is kind of foolish to play a game and not do a little bit of research on how to play. 

• RohnRohn Member UncommonPosts: 3,730

Originally posted by maharet

I would like you to tell me a little more about the gameplay and leave out the roleplay.  It seems you did not research the game at all.  First it is Nave not Vane.  And there are "red" towns that do not have guards.  A "red" can not go into a "blue" town.   If you just did 60 seconds of readin on the forums you would know all of this.

Just 60 seconds worth of research would let you know that the writing style and "head-first" approach is standard for the Survivor Guy series, and part of what makes them so entertaining.

In truth, the way he approaches the games he plays captures the actual fun of RPG gaming, more than the research project people want to turn RPGs into these days.

Another well done article, Mr. Tingle!  Keep them coming!

Hell hath no fury like an MMORPG player scorned.

• shakermaker0shakermaker0 Member UncommonPosts: 194

It is true I try and keep this game as a new player perspective type thing, I try not to research it too heavily. I hold my hands up and apologise for the mistakes, my time in NAVE has been spent between Vaada, Meduli and Fabernum so I haven't come across red friendly places. Plus nobody would chat to me as I was a murdering fool so I couldn't find out that way.

As I said a review is coming, I just thought this would be a neat little series to do about a game that is quite different from most games out now.

• paratusparatus Member Posts: 20

I thought the article, like the first, was very good.  I love the story-telling side of it, which is far different than the bland facts of most articles.  It somehow makes following your character feel more like an epic quest.

When you mentioned you closed the game and found a map, I was expecting you to go to Kranesh!  There is a red town literally 2 minutes away from Fabernum (near the pig farm) and a lot closer to where you were than Meduli.  I guess the issues you ran into were simply due to chance; if you traveled more east instead of west, you would have found your brigand haven in half the time you found Meduli.

Personally I love the lack of in-game map.  I enjoy feeling lost and, after playing a decent amount, it's fun to begin recognizing landmarks to understand where you are in the world.

• shakermaker0shakermaker0 Member UncommonPosts: 194

I suppose it is a double-edge sword with the in-game map. On the one hand I would have found what I was looking for but on the other I wouldnt have had the adventure or experience that I had. That's why I suppose MO is such a unique game and certain choices such as not adding a map really add to the chaos of it all but sometime it can lead you in unexpected and fun places.

• BlindchanceBlindchance Member UncommonPosts: 1,112

Dear Survivor If you want to play against the rules, please learn them first...I would really READ the guides and the f...manual first. You can find them all on the official forum. 

People will forget your face sooner or later aslong you won't continue infaming your name.

There are cities which greet with open arms anyone whatever their background, but I would watch your back even more carefully there...a second of distraction and you will realise that person screaming its actually you and thats your pool blood on the ground. You can always join a settlement of likeminded people, who dont ask any questions about your past.

• RagemoreRagemore Member Posts: 51

Well done sir. I too have started a new game, Darkfall, in the exact same style, no reading, no asking, just figure it out.

It is refreshing to discover on my own, to learn from trial and error, and to know the lessons I have learned were a result of meaningful action and consequence. I feel these lessons will stick with me as they were earned, not given.

And it is refeshing to know some games will not be so easy, some choose to be harsh, and walk a different road than other mmorpgs.  I would like to think that someday we wil have a hardcore AAA title instead of just the indies going the road less traveled.

Good luck in your travels, may you turn your fate away from despair, and find fortune in the future.

Rage - Head Honcho of the Revilers
    "Ragemore and Whine Less"

• NaowutNaowut Member UncommonPosts: 663

I really enjoyed reading this, even if its about the worst game in MMO history.

• oramiooramio Member Posts: 121

It is an amazing read and great fun. I liked your writing style, the way you approach the problems etc. Although I am not subscribed atm, I am waiting for the developers to complete the coding to play the game.

• D_TOXD_TOX Member UncommonPosts: 269

Absolutely brilliant read, i was chuckling to myself as i eagerly anticipated the next paragraph. I lol'd at the end, with the penis thing, yes im immature and enjoy potty humor! It's funny because i tried Mortal Online, i wanted to like it, i love the concept, it just could be executed better. The game needs a lot more time to be 'playable' to me.

• trahetrahe Member UncommonPosts: 41

First, that's a great write-up.  You've got skills.

Second, I totally get what your playstyle is about and I appreciate it greatly. 

Third, you were boned by your own bad luck.  hahahaa.  haha.  (cough)  hahahaha.  I loved it.

• PhelcherPhelcher Member CommonPosts: 1,053

Great read...! Nice style..^^

Mortal Online from a long-time fan:

I have 3 MO accounts and have been playing since Block A (beta). Mortal Online  had potential, but the StarVault.. specifically Henrik is affraid to make a decision on basics. Therefore the game will die.

Since the release, we have had 20+ changes in base weapon dmg, base sprint speed, base swim speed, base stamina... etc. The man and his team are unable to invision a basic idea and evolve it. This has Nothing to do with the Epic Games patching, it has everything to do with Basic functioning and base fundmentals.

Henrik himself doesn't even know what the greatest weapon in the game is... nor what how that dmg should be mitigated with various armor types, let alone dmg is on a naked torso. If he doesn't know... then how does the Pros & Cons and the weighting of each, mitigate? Is the best 2-hander doing 75dmg, if so... why so much, isn't this a skill based game (twitch skill) and does wearing cloth reducing that dmg bny 20%, leather by 30% and chain by 40%?  Who knows?  <-- It changes weekly

Does softer meterial reduce the dmg by 2%?  Why doesn't the most obvious player configuration (shield & sword) not matter in this game... why is the no base for anything ?

StarVault should've had all these ideas down on paper (Design document) a year before implamenting them. You have to invision classes and Armor and weapons and how they will function. What is the base dmg  &  what is max hit points...  & how do you balance weapons when this is a twitched based game (player skill)..?

Meaning, if a basic sword does 25dmg, then the very best one should only do 35...  and the quality of how it made, should only effects it's balance, durability and the stamina used, not dmg, etc..    So why does Mortal Online have weapon in the same classification doing double, or triple dmg..? Because SV is overwhelmed and lost and unwilling to make a hard decision. 

In Everquest, everyone knew what a weapons dmg (we knew the exact formulas, given to us by the dev team) was and what that weapon did in different people hands.

Everyday in Mortal Online, your weapons do something different than the day before, with absolutely no bases for their statistics.

Hell.... Henrik cannot even figure out the basic economy and simple supply-side econoimics... even though Henrik (the CEO/owner) was given a working business model (from an economist business model of nave), which would resolve the economy problems with a few easy fixes (less than a day to fix)... and Henrik didn't even respond!

Mortal Online is going to be usurped quickly by other gasmes, because StarVault is too worried about PvP & their engine, not about the actual metrics that make up a character...!

Not only that, but there is TONS & TONS of duped gold and "million dollar keeps" already built. If StarVault would do a complete wipe of the server & characters.... I know more people & guilds that would be willing to re-sub and start playing again. But no guild is going to join/move/come back, to fight a biased & unfair battle...!  So SV forgoes additional revenues because they are (again) unwilling to make the hard eecision and wipe the server...

Sorry SV, I watched people hack and reported, only to find them doing the same thing the very next day...

I can't pay you when you are unwilling to take a firm stance on your product. You are taking the path of least resitance and lost your back bone. More people are unwilling to come back to this game because of that... than are playing currently. 

StarVault needs to decide whats more important, being faithful to cheaters, hackers and dupers... or the community that left MO behind...

"No they are not charity. That is where the whales come in. (I play for free. Whales pays.) Devs get a business. That is how it works."

-Nariusseldon

• RamblebrainRamblebrain Member Posts: 52

Great writing!

• HELLBITCHHELLBITCH Member Posts: 87

YOU would like, it doesn't meant the REST OF THE WORLD doesn't enjoy a role-playish narration.

• username509username509 Member CommonPosts: 635

Did you guys see the latest player event tournament? Fucking awesome...

Never trust a screenshot or a youtube video without a version stamp!

• ReklawReklaw Member UncommonPosts: 6,495

This page would of told him what he needs to know and why he gets guard whacked.  

http://www.mortalonline.com/faq

I think it is kind of foolish to play a game and not do a little bit of research on how to play. 

Might come of as a big suprise, but there are gamers that actually want to find out things, explore, discover by actually playing the game instead of being handhold and told what and how to do things.

OP: I enjoyed reading your adventure, looking slighty forward to your next adventure.

• cosycosy Member UncommonPosts: 3,228
    hahaha quitter be a man and play a outlaw

BestSigEver :P

• mCalvertmCalvert Member CommonPosts: 1,283

Question. Does StarVault actually provide you with a manual in game which gives even a bare minimum "How to play?" My problem in beta was the lack of this. Take the map issue. You dont have to have a hit M for map, or a radar. However, you can make it so you can buy a static map from from vendors or players which show a basic old world type map, or buy pencil and paper in game to draw your own map (then sell it or get it stolen). Or have a built in paper to draw on like Paint so you can make in game notes. These are things which make the game realistic and dont remove the "hardcore" learning curve. They make the fun, not frustrating. Same thing with telling you how to equip something, vs letting you figure it out through trial and error or readin a forum. Basically, my problem with MO from beta at least, and with 'hard' games is you focus to much on learning to play, and not on playing.

• spade777spade777 Member Posts: 9

Hilarious stuff!  These are fun to read, I'm looking forward to future articles.

• xBludxxBludx Member Posts: 376

...the only company I had were the small gusts of wind that gently caressed my exposed penis and buttocks.

That was hilarious! Good writing - fun to read.