Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

All Points Bulletin: The Story of the Week

MMORPG.com Managing Editor Jon Wood has looked over all the stories that came out this week with a focus on MMOs. While Jon alludes to two others as noteworthy candidates, ultimately he landed upon the sale of stagnant MMO, All Points Bulletin.  Check out what Jon has to say and let us know what you think in the forums.

I wanted to talk about the story that I, in my less than infinite wisdom, have dubbed the story of the week. Standing above the pack this time around was the news that All Points Bulletin, another ill-fated MMO project, has been picked up by another company...

Read more here.

Comments

• PNM_JenningsPNM_Jennings Member UncommonPosts: 1,093

See, as a F2P I actually have a degree of interest in APB if only for the customization.

• TheLizardbonesTheLizardbones Member CommonPosts: 10,910

Originally posted by atticusbc

See, as a F2P I actually have a degree of interest in APB if only for the customization.

They could have a decent Buy 2 Play thing going on with the FPS combat.  Sounded like many people really like the game.  Seemed kind of shallow to me for a monthly sub though.

I can not remember winning or losing a single debate on the internet.

• JorvisJorvis Member Posts: 2

I love APB with a passion and i do want to see it comeback P2P or F2P i dont care but they have to improve anti-hack software. That BusterPunk was trash. The Aimboting got me quitting on 2 week of game release.

• RageaholRageahol Member UncommonPosts: 1,127

make it buy to play...for like 20 bucks and people will pick it up fast...hell put it on steam and make a cool poster for it and people will eat it up...i would love it see it come back as a buy to play.

• CydeCyde Member Posts: 41

i'll play it if its f2p, hell, i would have probably bought it if it was f2p right off the bat

• OzmodanOzmodan Member EpicPosts: 9,726

Well if you look at K2 other products and then look at APB biggest problem, combined they make a huge issue that I doubt very much will be good for this game.

K2 does not have much support in their games and APB had a huge issue with exploiters using hacks to give them significant advantages.

Hence my feeling this game will be a hackers paradise.  If you don't plan to cheat you will be taking a lot of dirt naps.  

So far as I am concerned this news is a nonentity.  It is a shame because with the right company this could have been a decent alternative to all the fantasy stuff out there.

• BarCrowBarCrow Member UncommonPosts: 2,195

I did have some fun PvPing a few times in beta. The only thing I disliked about the PvP was...at least in my experience...there was an arrow /marker that let me know where my opponent was at all times. I assume the same applied  for him/her as well. Thought that was lame..as there was no real way to sneak up on someone. Maybe they changed this before it went under . If not..hope it changes in the future. The world was a little too simplistic as well. Not much interaction. e.g. I was sent to steal from an office...which amounted to  finding a door and clicking on an object to obtain/steal it. No prowling..or hiding//combat espionage style. The customization was really detailed and fun though,

• LobotomistLobotomist Member EpicPosts: 5,963

I still think 2.5 million $, is not realistic price. It was probably misinformation.

There is simply no way any buisness would be sold for 2% of its worth

• zaylinzaylin Member UncommonPosts: 794

Originally posted by Jorvis

I love APB with a passion and i do want to see it comeback P2P or F2P i dont care but they have to improve anti-hack software. That BusterPunk was trash. The Aimboting got me quitting on 2 week of game release.

They still had balancing issues with the sloted weapons too,so that just compounded the hacks as well. And ya I loved the style,feel, and fun factor APB had,til you started running across the 3 major issues. they fix this leave it F2P with some sort of CS options (non game breaking,kinda like Global agenda did) id come back,hell my 2 buddies said they would pick it up IF it was a non sub.

• cloud9inccloud9inc Member Posts: 12

Originally posted by Lobotomist

I still think 2.5 million $, is not realistic price. It was probably misinformation.

Actually, the company went under, so the bank ended up owning the game at the end. The asset went through the standard foreclosure and apparently the best they could get was 2.5 million. The business had nothing to do with this one. Just like all other foreclosure type sells, it usually goes for ridiculous prices.. Just so the bank(s) get money from the loss.

• jfk35824jfk35824 Member Posts: 81

I am looking forward to checking the game out.  I won't mind if the pay format is B2P or f2p.  we'll see what user reviews say when its up and running. I'm cautiously optimistic until I find out if the cheater/hacker issues have been deat with or not...

• HepisodicHepisodic Member Posts: 328

All and all, I just can't wait for this to be re-released. I want to get back in my car and do some drive-bys. I do so miss that very much lol 

Veritas Vos Liberabit- The truth will set you free.

• CemmCemm Member UncommonPosts: 64

There is not an arrow pointing to your enemy at all times except in VIP missions, and only then on the VIP themselves. If someone is sprinting, they become visible on the radar. If you trot up behind someone, you're invisible to them and can almost always get the drop on them if they're facing the wrong way. There were a ton of little tricks like this that most people were oblivious to.

• xaldraxiusxaldraxius Member Posts: 1,249

"Absolutely nothing destroys an online FPS worse than hackers and cheaters exploiting holes in the game's security."

If this were an FPS it wouldn't have been nearly as bad.. Unfortunately it was a terribly done TPS with bad camera angles, difficult aiming and absolutely horrible driving physics.

Give me an FPS option.. let people play TPS if that's their wish.. but give me the option for FPS and crosshair aiming and I'd love to play this game, even with the wretched driving control.

• DeathengerDeathenger Member UncommonPosts: 880

K2 is HANDS DOWN the worst. Ask anybody that plays, or has played Knight Online. Their "Gamers First" crap just makes me want to vomit. Sorry for the mindless rant...

• TerranahTerranah Member UncommonPosts: 3,575

I"m looking forward to the game's rerelease.  They need some good anticheat though.  Maybe sell it through steam.

• kingdave2006kingdave2006 Member Posts: 30

K2 Networks is awful, its a shame that it didn't go to a company that would actualy treat it well.

• planl0splanl0s Member Posts: 7

so u are able to take a look at the future? i mean .. u don't know how the relaunch goes on and i don't think that APB goes "awful" cause of Gamersfirst .. 

beside that  K2 / Gamersfirst hired 23 formal Realtime Worlds employee's for the relaunch APB's

• CergorachCergorach Member UncommonPosts: 35

[quote]

[/quote]

Cost does not equal worth. The debtors are just trying to get as much of a return as possible, so it could be seen as to indicate that there was no one willing to fork over more then $2.54 million for the game. I still have some serious questions about that supposedly $100 million that was invested, as far as I know that were comments made by ex employees (who might not have all the info available or had ulterior motives).

• TerranahTerranah Member UncommonPosts: 3,575

Originally posted by planl0s

so u are able to take a look at the future? i mean .. u don't know how the relaunch goes on and i don't think that APB goes "awful" cause of Gamersfirst .. 

beside that  K2 / Gamersfirst hired 23 formal Realtime Worlds employee's for the relaunch APB's

Where did you hear that?  If so that is some good news.

• planl0splanl0s Member Posts: 7

ouh a mistake -.- sorry .. i have read something wrong

• CarpfaceCarpface Member Posts: 41

This game was doomed to perish the moment its pricing model was announced, and I'm not just saying that because I'm cheap and want to see every title adopt a F2P model.  This game is just so damn well suited for F2P, what with zones and cosmetics that are ripe for additions via microtransactions.

• kennyozakikennyozaki Member Posts: 2

time to dust off the AA hacks and pwn some noobs again

• just2duhjust2duh Member Posts: 1,290

Hm, may be going f2p but I and probably many others still cannot play it.

It seemed to be a pretty graphically demanding game or just picky about specific parts, it wouldn't even let me install with my setup, best I could figure my gfx card was unsupported.

Now with that in mind, to me the game in it's current state doesn't sound very f2p friendly either, since f2p games try to have fairly low system requirements to have greater accessibility, after all low end user's money is just as good as a high end's. They're probably going to need to do some overhauling/optimizing of the game itself in order to make a big comeback.