Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

DUDE!!!!! This game totally rips off WoW!!!omg

2»

Comments

• soulmirrorsoulmirror Member UncommonPosts: 124

Neverwinter Nights was the first massively multiplayer online role-playing game (MMORPG) to display graphics, and ran from 1991 to 1997 on AOL. In addition to being the first graphics-based MMORPG, the game also marked the first appearance of online Clans and Player versus player (pvp) combat in multiplayer RPGs.

Meridian 59 is an online computer role-playing game first published by the now defunct 3DO Company and now run by Near Death Studios. First launched online in an early form on December 15, 1995 and released commercially in September 1996 with a flat-rate monthly subscription, Meridian 59 is often credited as the first 3D graphical "massively multiplayer online game" or MMORPG.

'The Shadow of Yserbius', (1992) originally published by Sierra On-Line, was the first of three graphical MUDs for the online community. Opening to rave reviews, The Shadow of Yserbius, according to industry critics, set the standard by which all future MUDS would be judged. The game was followed by two sequels entitled The Fates of Twinion (1993) and The Ruins of Cawdor (1995). Until recently, only The Shadow of Yserbius and Fates of Twinion were playable in offline mode.

Each says they are the "first" NwN graphics, Meridian 59 3D graphics, SoY Mud.   By date NwN was the first released.  NWN was also carried by Compuserve before it was bought out by AoL.

• dma1dma1dma1dma1 Member Posts: 82

UPDATE:   please don't compare World of  Warcraft with Meridian 59.

NOT THE SAME GAME IN ANY WAY YOU LOOK AT IT>

• ZenrenZenren Member UncommonPosts: 68

Umm... to the guy who said Neverwinter Nights was the first MMORPG... I think you mean Darksun. Neverwinter Nights wasn't released until 2005 if I remember correctly, maybe 2004. Regardless it was released well after Darksun was released. Also Meridian 59 came out around the same time as Darksun. Most people believe UO was the first MMO (it was released about six  months after Meridian came out), because Meridian didn't have as much success in the American and European markets.

Overall comparing WoW to Meridian 59 is like comparing a child to his father... sure the kid has a lot of energy and could probably run his father ragged, but in the end that child would not be there if it weren't for the father.

If you're reading this, you probably need to get some sun.

• k0rr1bank0rr1ban Member Posts: 17
    Originally posted by Ichmen

Originally posted by moptopRPG

Just to tell you a little peice of info warcraft 1(january 2004) came out before the first warhammer(november 2005).  So technically warhammer has always ripped warcraft
    you are the biggest moronic idiot i have seen try and claim warhammer is a clone of wow...

news flash smarty pants

Games-Workshop started production back in the 70s distrubuting board games like risk and such to the english countryside the then created a game (YES CREATED!) called Warhammer. that was back in the early 80s.. they then created another game (ZOMG not another you cry) called Warhammer40000 which is based off 2 other games they made called gorkamorka and necromonda.

the same time they had all that made craptasticly crappy mc blizzard came to them and say "we would like to port warhammer to PC" G-W says thanks but no thanks.

blizzard then takes that and goes HEHEHE we be sneaky we be smart OH look we rename it WarCraft and drop 90% of the races and change a few things while making it really cartoony and ohh look we have our own game.....

now GW started a warhammer onine game back in 02/03 but canned it do to costs. WoW didnt start until about 04/05 from what i can tell.

the new warhammer online is newer and doesnt follow the first one. BUT it in no way is a clone of WoW.

WoW ripped off all of its game contect from Warhammer. so take your WoW fanboy stuff and cram it some where else.

WAR. may or may not play similer to WoW but that is because all games must follow a simlier pattern. FPS must be first person or 3rd. it must have some form of weapon and semi mission based.

RTS/TBS must have eagle eye view and allow some form of resoruce gathering.

MMO must be fully multiplayer, have quests, pvp, pve. fancy content.. little lag.

the OP is spot on that there is no such thing as a clone. UNLESS its like pirate king online vs tales of pirates. both ARE EXACTLY THE SAME! with name change.... that is true clones at its finest.

Warhammer is not made like WoW. the PVP does not apper to be locked and stupid. as well until War is atleast public betaed its pointless claiming it sucks, beats X game. or is a clone BECAUSE! (this is very important now) Warhammer is not finished. stuff can and does get changed between concept <-> gold status.

i have played warcraft. and some wow i hate them compared to the many other mmos i have tried and the many other RTS i have played. they have their merits but i dislike them for many reasons.

i play the Warhammer tabletop as well as the RTS games brought out by SSI and THQ. i like them and hate them for the many reasons as well. until War is open to play i cant like or hate it. i want to play it because its an offcial port from the TT. but who knows if i will truely enjoy it as ports never grasp the real game its taken from.

i suggest WoWtards to research warhammer vs WoW better next time.. least you get a less friendlier person shooting down your argument.

Nerdrage moar pl0x

• FuryusFuryus Member UncommonPosts: 17

This thread is awesome.  I hope the fifteen of you who failed at the mocking / sarcasm in the title aren't breeding...

(Yes I resurrected a very dead thread listed under a very dead game simply because it was hilarious...)

• morbidanyamorbidanya Member Posts: 45

...gotta agree with ^ ....

The horrible thing about this is that I already KNEW what the replies would be, but I opened the thread anyway. LOL!

...damn, I sure wish there were actually people here who played this game when it was first out. I can't even tell you how I cringe when people talk about UO or EQ as the "first MMORPG" games available...

• Laughing-manLaughing-man Member RarePosts: 3,654
    Originally posted by Wardrop

Originally posted by moptopRPG

Just to tell you a little peice of info warcraft 1(january 2004) came out before the first warhammer(november 2005).  So technically warhammer has always ripped warcraft

Lmao, i dont think we will see that guy posting here again....

What he didn't know is that the origional Warcraft game was designed to be a Warhammer IP Product.

However the people who owned the rights to the warhammer IP told blizzard their game was too poorly made to carry the name Warhammer.

So Warcraft was made.

Edit: Speaking on Warcraft "Orcs vs humans"

• ssj4kefkassj4kefka Member Posts: 36

I played Meridian 59. O.o. Think i still got the disk in storage some were. I know i seen it in like january.  /shrug

I clipped this from wiki history.

all MMORPGs can trace a lineage back to the earliest multi-user games which started appearing in the late 1970s.[4] The first of these was Mazewar, though more would soon be developed for the PLATO system.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Massively_multiplayer_online_role-playing_game.

• vadeshadowvadeshadow Member Posts: 1

I actually beta tested Meridian 59.  At the time it was probably one of the best games out there.  Yes you can argue an bicker that it wasn't, but it helped pave the way for other MMORPG.  I even beta tested The realm, and also UO.  Each one was good in their own way, but without them we would not have the interfaces that we use today in many online games.  I do have to agree that some games today feel like others, but in the end it comes down to your personal preference.  Each game has its own story behind it.  You either like the game play or you don't.  It is kind of hard to make some new ground braking game without someone saying that it is a clone of whatever game you can think of.

And if you want to know a thing about Meridian 59 in the beta stages, it was buggy as hell, then again most betas are like that.

• SlaynnSlaynn Member UncommonPosts: 109

All of the Jerry's Kids that looked at the title and couldn't wait to hit the reply button without reading anything else make me laugh.

Pro-tip: Spend the time to at least read some of the post before having an anxiety attack and hitting reply.

It's gotten to the point where some MMOs have been reduced to little more than success dispensers. Don't think. Don't challenge yourself. Do as little as possible... but still be rewarded for it. Yeah.. *that's* fun.

-- WSIMike

• SuperXero89SuperXero89 Member UncommonPosts: 2,551

Still blows my mind that people don't see how much more similar MMORPGs are to one another after World of Warcraft than before it.

• XpertiseXpertise Member Posts: 120

Originally posted by Laughing-man

What he didn't know is that the origional Warcraft game was designed to be a Warhammer IP Product.

However the people who owned the rights to the warhammer IP told blizzard their game was too poorly made to carry the name Warhammer.

So Warcraft was made.

Edit: Speaking on Warcraft "Orcs vs humans"

They never said that the game was poorly made. The problem was in game's art design. It didn't feel Warhammer.

• Originally posted by Kuraphimaru

what blows my mind is that this thread was started in 2007, necroed back to life in 2008, again in 2009, and now up again in 2010. I wonder if we gonna get another enthusiast in 2011 to bring it back from the dead.

I guess I'll be that enthusiast :)   Though, I have nothing else to say...

• RedluciferRedlucifer Member Posts: 112

This is the game that started it all folks....

If only new game dev's would be forced to play 50 hours on this game maybe we could get a half descent new mmorpg put out..........

Live on in 2011

• kozeljkokozeljko Member Posts: 2
    Originally posted by Nunez1212
    Originally posted by Kuraphimaru

what blows my mind is that this thread was started in 2007, necroed back to life in 2008, again in 2009, and now up again in 2010. I wonder if we gonna get another enthusiast in 2011 to bring it back from the dead.

I guess I'll be that enthusiast :)   Though, I have nothing else to say...

Gentlemen... :D

This discussion has been closed.