Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Looking for a strong community game. Prefer PVE.

ExavusExavus Member Posts: 200

I've been playing WoW a lot recently and while I still manage to just barely entertain myself enough to stay subbed I find the community horrible. I can't manage to find a group of people that are half-decent. I know there are guilds out there but finding them is the hard part, so I'm wanting to broaden my horizons and seek out another MMO with a great community, and while were at it, any online game with a great community, mmo or not. I just want some decent people to play with.

I live with my Fiancee and while I do have some friends, they never want to visit, or really hang out and play games, so I was just hoping to find some cool people online to play in an immersive world with. I may go back to EQ2 but i'm not really sure yet. Could anyone throw out some games with great communities ? Thanks.

Current MMO: WoW/GW2

Comments

• JimmacJimmac Member UncommonPosts: 1,660

Here's a list of games I've found to have great communities and guilds to join that are full of great people: 

DAOC

Eve Online

Ryzom (small, niche community though)

EQ1 (great people, old schoolers)

EQ2 (you have to search to find the good guilds at end game, but they are there. It's easy to find a decent guild for 1-79 though)

Istaria (also small and niche community, but cool and nice)

Vendetta Online (small community, but like to help and fight)

• ricololzricololz Member Posts: 12

I suggest you play EVE online its much easier anf more decent people:)

• Mr_WolfxMr_Wolfx Member Posts: 176

I really like the community in Haven and Hearth, its a small community (about 300-400 people) and a very niche game.  There isnt much combat early on in the game, but they make up for it with great crafting.  Everyone is really helpful to newbs and the devs are really active on the forums too.

Careful for the ruskies though, they take their haven and hearth real seriously.

Yes I have a dream… And its not some MLK dream for equality. …I wanna own a decommissioned lighthouse …And I wanna live at the top… And nobody knows I live there. …And theres a button that I can press, and launch that lighthouse into space.

• SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 31,892

OP, why not try Lord of the Rings? It's free to play or you can also subscribe.

Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • ExavusExavus Member Posts: 200

Originally posted by Jimmac

Here's a list of games I've found to have great communities and guilds to join that are full of great people: 

DAOC

I played this one a little bit back in the day but had trouble getting into it. The RvR looked appealing but it seemd to lack in the PVE department..

Eve Online

I tried EvE Online about 3-4 times, the last time I played for over a month but the learning curve is extreme and all the sci-fi lingo for parts/components just was too much for me.. The game is literally too smart for me and I'm not fond of a billion flowcharts and red boxes to shoot.

Ryzom (small, niche community though)

This one I'm still slightly interested in but I hear the world is very very empty.

EQ1 (great people, old schoolers)

I played Project99 and did find a lot of good people on there, and friendly ones but I can't go back to that game.. I played it for a few years and while I loved it and cherish it as my first MMO its just too dull for me now.

EQ2 (you have to search to find the good guilds at end game, but they are there. It's easy to find a decent guild for 1-79 though)

I'm currently subscribed to EQ2 for a few more days, I have a level 50 warden and some other lowbie characters, I was considering just playing on the extended server.. but I hear there are some good guilds on Antonia Bayle(Where most of my characters are at) I might haev to ch eck that out...

Istaria (also small and niche community, but cool and nice)

Vendetta Online (small community, but like to help and fight)

• Sid_ViciousSid_Vicious Member RarePosts: 2,177

Darkfall has a different kind of community. What you do in the game will effect others around you more than most other games. Nobody spams things like rouge30lfg or use some built in interface to join a random group and everyone has only one main character. When I started killing my own kind people stopped buying things from me in trade chat. What you do is remembered unlike other games and it allows diversity outside of what class you are or whatever so people's character and seem to show more. You get to know people a lot more than most games because there are no instances and nobody is following the same story-line. Most typing is done in clan chat or clan alliance chat and people talk in vent more than they type. Thats the kind of game it is. If you are trying to come in unwilling to get a mic and trying to find a PUG than you will be disappointed because you have to get to know people a lot more than that. You can remain a lot more distant in other games and never really get to know people. This makes it so that the community is very wide-spread. There are probably more vent channels for Darkfall than there are chat tabs. To experience the best content you have to group up with people. There are all sorts of different kinds of people playing. This makes it a very social game and I have made a lot of friends and have a story-line that I followed that nobody else will ever get to experience.

I am not sure what you mean by a strong community maybe.

The only reason I mentioned DF is because you were willing to try EVE.

Its a great game. PVE hasn't been as risky since the original EQ and a few others. Fighting mobs is funner too imo because they feel more realistic: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w4dVB_vpZNM lol

NEWS FLASH! "A bank was robbed the other day and a man opened fire on the customers being held hostage. One customer zig-zag sprinted until he found cover. When questioned later he explained that he was a hardcore gamer and knew just what to do!" Download my music for free! I release several albums per month as part of project "Thee Untitled" . .. some video game music remixes and cover songs done with instruments in there as well! http://theeuntitled.bandcamp.com/ Check out my roleplaying blog, collection of fictional short stories, and fantasy series... updated on a blog for now until I am finished! https://childrenfromtheheavensbelow.blogspot.com/ Watch me game on occasion or make music... https://www.twitch.tv/spoontheeuntitled and subscribe! https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCUvqULn678VrF3OasgnbsyA

• Rockgod99Rockgod99 Member Posts: 4,640

One ring to rule them all, one ring to find them,

One ring to bring them all and in the darkness bind them.

Playing: Rift, LotRO
    Waiting on: GW2, BP

Originally posted by Sid_Vicious

Darkfall has a different kind of community. What you do in the game will effect others around you more than most other games. Nobody spams things like rouge30lfg or use some built in interface to join a random group and everyone has only one main character. When I started killing my own kind people stopped buying things from me in trade chat. What you do is remembered unlike other games and it allows diversity outside of what class you are or whatever so people's character and seem to show more. You get to know people a lot more than most games because there are no instances and nobody is following the same story-line. Most typing is done in clan chat or clan alliance chat and people talk in vent more than they type. Thats the kind of game it is. If you are trying to come in unwilling to get a mic and trying to find a PUG than you will be disappointed because you have to get to know people a lot more than that. You can remain a lot more distant in other games and never really get to know people. This makes it so that the community is very wide-spread. There are probably more vent channels for Darkfall than there are chat tabs. To experience the best content you have to group up with people. There are all sorts of different kinds of people playing. This makes it a very social game and I have made a lot of friends and have a story-line that I followed that nobody else will ever get to experience.

I am not sure what you mean by a strong community maybe.

The only reason I mentioned DF is because you were willing to try EVE.

Its a great game. PVE hasn't been as risky since the original EQ and a few others. Fighting mobs is funner too imo because they feel more realistic: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w4dVB_vpZNM lol

I played the Darkfall trial and there are some things I love about the game. The graphics and atmosphere are very immersive. I love the shadow effects and the "hand-made" detail done to certain areas. I like the fighting it reminds me of Morrowind and that's always a plus because I loved that game. The only thing that kept me from subscribing is the sheer weakness of your character in comparison to vets. What kind of low-mid game pvp is there in Darkfall? Can guilds identify otehr guilds as being Veterans or mid-game players? Do guilds have that kind of reputation where your fellow comrades can tell to stay way or try and fight?

Out of most of the MMO's ive tried recently Darkfall did leave a big impact on me because of how different it is from other games. I understand that even if I play 2-3 hours a day i'll never be as good as someone who plays twice that, and there surely are people who devote their lives to making their in-game character insanely good. I don't mind that 1v1 PVP is simply never going to be fair because its a group-based game. I do notice what you said about your name actually leaving a mark in the world. It reminds me a lot of EQ1, most people didn't play alts because of how hard it was to just play one character for a while (This was around kunark time i'm thinking). I like that. it's one of the things I hated about WoW is its hard to really make a name for yourself unless you stick to one character, but its so easy to max out a character and start another now.

But in the end it seems everyone in darkfall ends up being the same thing. A plate wearing magic wielding archery mastery of death. The best a new player can do is specialize in one talent, and thats what leaves teh biggest gap for veterans and newer players is they just have more at their finger tips because they spent the time ranking up all those skills and having a larger library of useful spells.

Erm I was kind of rambling on about it. I have been thinking about the game but in my trial I didn't find anyone helpful to be honest.

Originally posted by Rockgod99

One ring to rule them all, one ring to find them,

One ring to bring them all and in the darkness bind them.

I have LOTRO installed, I bought the game back in 07 so I have a premium account, but the game seems very simple, and i'm not absolutely crazy about Tolkeins world, but I do like the movies.

• SnoepieSnoepie Member UncommonPosts: 485

PVE -  LOTR online..

There is no better PVE out there atm..

• elockeelocke Member UncommonPosts: 4,335

Originally posted by Mr_Wolfx
    I really like the community in Haven and Hearth, its a small community (about 300-400 people) and a very niche game.  There isnt much combat early on in the game, but they make up for it with great crafting.  Everyone is really helpful to newbs and the devs are really active on the forums too.
    Careful for the ruskies though, they take their haven and hearth real seriously.

I don't want to sound like a jerk here...but ....really? WHY do people recommend games like this? I can't STAND the look of this game. Gameplay over graphics my ass. This is the kind of game that makes that argument pathetic. Graphics + Gameplay = Win, not this throwback to the early 90s.

Ugh, anyway, sorry, just can't stand these types of games and I really hate when they are recommended and I go research it because I had never heard of it. Then I see why I had never heard of it and want to get the time back that I just wasted.

• DrilDril Member Posts: 107

Originally posted by elocke

Gameplay over graphics my ass. This is the kind of game that makes that argument pathetic. Graphics + Gameplay = Win, not this throwback to the early 90s.

Minecraft and $2million for one single developer disagree with you. 

In other news: LOTRO. Landroval for US folks, Laurelin for EU; they're the two RP servers.

RIFT was a *crushing* disappointment; a shallow, loveless, generic MMO the likes of which hasn't been seen in a P2P format since, well, forever.

Eagerly awaiting: World of Darkness, ArcheAge.

• elockeelocke Member UncommonPosts: 4,335

Originally posted by Dril

Gameplay over graphics my ass. This is the kind of game that makes that argument pathetic. Graphics + Gameplay = Win, not this throwback to the early 90s.
    Minecraft and $2million for one single developer disagree with you. 
    In other news: LOTRO. Landroval for US folks, Laurelin for EU; they're the two RP servers.

I saw minecraft and thought it was cool, for about 5 minutes. hell, minecraft looks ten times better than this game mentioned here, lol

still think graphics PLUS gameplay = win and will always bring in a hell of a lot more money than 2 mil.

Anyway, strong community games - LOTRO and FFXI(forced group game though)

• JimmacJimmac Member UncommonPosts: 1,660

To answer your question, some people recommend games like Haven and Hearth because they think other people might like it. They don't think everyone will like it, and you fall into the category of people who don't. That doesn't mean that no one will like it.

The graphics of the game don't bother me at all, and the gameplay (for the type of game it is trying to be) is pretty damn good. I'd play it occasionally if my computer could run it properly, but it can't for some reason. 

Overall point, just because some people won't like a recommendation doesn't mean it shouldn't be recommended at all. If you think you "wasted" time by checking out a recommendation (a word whose definition you may want to look up, by the way) then maybe you should reconsider reading a forum where recommending games is the name of the business. 

I'm not defending Haven and Hearth because I don't care about the game at all, but the idea that it shouldn't even be recommended when it clearly qualifies under the criteria set by the OP for what type of game he's looking for is ridiculous. The game has a great community, and that's what the OP asked for. The game was recommended so the OP can check it out for himself. There's nothing more to it than that. 

• KrulmaddenKrulmadden Member Posts: 9

OP, if you're still looking for input here (I know this ithread is a week old), I see some people have suggested Lotro. Lotro is a pretty game, and the people are nice, but I say dont bother with it. There's a lot of content there, but nobody touches it. I quit after a few months because I got up to my 40s and wanted to do some of the "high level" content that came with the original game, but nobody is left to do it. It's a race to level cap now, so new players are left having to play catch up and missing a TON of content on the way there. Nobody touches what is now mid-level stuff, which is a shame because it seems great.

If you want to solo, though, the Epics in Lotro are better than any other MMOs questline IMO.

• joojoo1975joojoo1975 Member UncommonPosts: 275

I don't want to sound like a jerk here...but ....really? WHY do people recommend games like this? I can't STAND the look of this game. Gameplay over graphics my ass. This is the kind of game that makes that argument pathetic. Graphics + Gameplay = Win, not this throwback to the early 90s.

Ugh, anyway, sorry, just can't stand these types of games and I really hate when they are recommended and I go research it because I had never heard of it. Then I see why I had never heard of it and want to get the time back that I just wasted.

to be true the graphics of this game Sux.  but it's free and it's considered alpha stage.

the main appeal to this game(imo) is the fact that the game has "sorta-perma death)  if your char dies, then he can lose anywhere from 25 to 75% of his total stat and skills.  also H&H do not have any skill caps so to speak.  the crafting in the game is Very huge.  in fact there are no npc's at all.  Everything in this game is either made, harvested, or found by actual players.

the main drawback to the game(once again IMO) is the fact it's still considered an alpha, the community can be helpful but has about the same chance as to be a total ass to you.  And the game favors "evil" characters over "peaceful" characters.

I've played this game for a while now(off and on)  and the politics of the H&H forums are rather quite good.  but it'll be up to you in the end if you like or dislike the game

To Protect The Helpless From The Heartless

• dleveldlevel Member UncommonPosts: 88

this.

• QazzQazz Member Posts: 577

Originally posted by ricololz

I suggest you play EVE online its much easier anf more decent people:)

I see what u did thar

• Davidoff_CDavidoff_C Member Posts: 1

I would personally recommend Atlantica Online, its got a great community full of friendly players. Although it depends if you like its turn-based strategy battle system

• elitekittyelitekitty Member Posts: 15

try Priston Tale 2 by gamekraft its a small community but gamekraft is doing lots of events for new people to keep them boosting weekly events daily not so many people but the ones that are are awsome

• IcegotenIcegoten Member UncommonPosts: 138

If you tried Darkfall then you might be interested in Mortal Online. It is pretty much the same deal with everyone using vent and you need to group up to have things to do. However in Mortal Online a new player isn't far off from someone who has been playing since launch. Everyone can make their character the way they want. You can start off with learning how to mine and then all of the skills to work with stone to craft with it and work with it's various forms like crushing it, then grinding it, then mixing it to make certain stones or metals and suck. Depending on how much you want to put into each skill all the way you can completely make your character learn all there is to know about stones or split it up with learning stone and learning wood.

Basically you can change what skills you know overtime so everyone is different.