Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Typical Codemasters - EU LOTRO much more expensive than USA

USA LOTRO 50% price reduction for one day. -  EU LOTRO 20%

USA LOTRO Lone Lands quest pack 50 points. - EU LOTRO Lone Lands quest pack 270 points.

USA 400 points = $6.50, - EU 400 points= €5.94(8.22$)

I waited so much for EU side to go live. Now i figure i wasted my time. It would smarter to move to USA servers in the long run...

Comments

• Rockgod99Rockgod99 Member Posts: 4,640

Yeah man just stick with Turbine and NA servers.

Isnt there an unofficial EU player server?

just join that bitch.

Playing: Rift, LotRO
    Waiting on: GW2, BP

• GdemamiGdemami Member EpicPosts: 12,342

Not much Codemasters can do about it. EUR/USD exchange rate isn't easy to fight.

I feel sorry for them :(

• immodiumimmodium Member RarePosts: 2,610

Not surprising to me. I've always been told by people who visit the US that you do get alot more for your money than you do over here (UK)

• tachgbtachgb Member UncommonPosts: 791

I use Free to Play on the USA servers as it's just a much better experience, yesterday I purchased the USA version of LOTRO Mines of Moria Complete Edition (Shadows of Angmar + Mines of Moria Expansion)  for £10. Search for "LOTRO: Mines of Moria Complete Edition NEW NIB" on ebay from seller games_for_sale, they sent me the serial key through the email rather than paying for postage costs and waiting for the game to arrive from the USA, possibly the best way to get the USA version of LOTRO right now.

• LobotomistLobotomist Member EpicPosts: 5,963

Yea.  Probably best thing to do.

Only reason why I stick with EU lotro is because i have MOM expansion there.

But i feel it will be cheaper to buy USA MOM and quest packs, than continue playing on EU

• tachgbtachgb Member UncommonPosts: 791

Definately, alot of UK/EUR players on the USA servers too. Because I upgraded my Free to Play account to SoA+MoM with that ebay purchase, I got 30days VIP and 500 point to use in the store, which is a nice bonus. So there's your incentive to go USA servers. ;)

• maddie517maddie517 Member Posts: 5

Im a euro playing on the US myself, just so much cheaper and easier than waiting for CM. A lot of the new servers have large populations of Euro's. Im on Riddermark and there are people on regardless of the time of day.

if you havent invested much into it yet, or even if you just had SoA,MoM in euro like i did. it still works out cheaper to get everything on the US servers than on CM.

I have everything unlocked now and I think I spent £90 in total, it would probably be double on EU

• WickedjellyWickedjelly Member Posts: 4,990

Originally posted by Rockgod99

Yeah man just stick with Turbine and NA servers.

Isnt there an unofficial EU player server?

just join that bitch.

Elendilmir...which is actually a great server even for NA players especially if you tend to play during normal NA off peak hours because there are still plenty of folks to find groups for things.

1. For god's sake mmo gamers, enough with the analogies. They're unnecessary and your comparisons are terrible, dissimilar, and illogical.

2. To posters feeling the need to state how f2p really isn't f2p: Players understand the concept. You aren't privy to some secret the rest are missing. You're embarrassing yourself.

3. Yes, Cpt. Obvious, we're not industry experts. Now run along and let the big people use the forums for their purpose.

• preston326preston326 Member UncommonPosts: 115

Codemasters already screwed up and shut two F2P games and they proved to be very unprofessional so I wouldnt recommend anyone to play EU version

• crazynannycrazynanny Member Posts: 173

Yeah go for US if You haven't heavily invested in EU. CM store promotions were rubbish so far. For example today US got 1111 points for 11$, 50% off Moria and Mirkwood xpacs. EU got 50% off red dye and few emotes...what a turn off...

Another example of what You can bought in US vs EU
    US vs Europe
    Lonelands 50 vs 280
    North Downs 50 vs 595
    Evendim 50 vs 595
    MoM 1248 vs 2495
    SoM 998 vs 1995

= 2396 vs 5960

Apart from that - more expensive points(it's virtual currency so stop the excuses with taxes and exchange rates - they could offer better deals if not greedy, period), no my LOTRO, no test server, no Isengard program, no interaction with devs, everything goes live later

Also CM has really bad reputation after all issues with DDO(when it went F2P), where players more or less got deal pay(for old outdated version) or gtfo to US F2P(where all new stuff was). After like half a year of cheap excuses they finally signed the deal with Turbine and offered transfers to US.

• ManestreamManestream Member UncommonPosts: 941

Well, i never play F2P games at all as they always end up costing 3x more than what a monthly fee would have been originally per month. I have done it on 2 games several yrs back, i will not use item shops again.

After reading this, it is not hard to understand that EU players are being screwed alot more and then also given a half hearted service too (pay more get fobbed off afterwards).

I have not been back to LOTRO since the release of teh 2nd expansion (stopped playing 2 weeks beforehand), might have returned but when i saw F2P with item shop i have un-installed and thrown the gamedisk into the box (along with EQ2) and have so far just had to play WoW. Now yes it does get boring, the last patch was buggy as hell (still waiting on fix's), wont be running out to buy cata when it comes out on release day, am going to wait for the xmas period to finish and then they can fix the bugs they introduced (carnt see them doing this over the xmas period, can you).

With nothing else out there (to my knowledge) worth a dickybird, looks like i will be catching up on some of these single player offline games. Jeez i hope someone release's something worthy of playing pretty soon, so far much of the hyped ones have been very dissapointing to say the least.

• preston326preston326 Member UncommonPosts: 115

Originally posted by Manestream

Well, i never play F2P games at all as they always end up costing 3x more than what a monthly fee would have been originally per month. I have done it on 2 games several yrs back, i will not use item shops again.

After reading this, it is not hard to understand that EU players are being screwed alot more and then also given a half hearted service too (pay more get fobbed off afterwards).

I have not been back to LOTRO since the release of teh 2nd expansion (stopped playing 2 weeks beforehand), might have returned but when i saw F2P with item shop i have un-installed and thrown the gamedisk into the box (along with EQ2) and have so far just had to play WoW. Now yes it does get boring, the last patch was buggy as hell (still waiting on fix's), wont be running out to buy cata when it comes out on release day, am going to wait for the xmas period to finish and then they can fix the bugs they introduced (carnt see them doing this over the xmas period, can you).

With nothing else out there (to my knowledge) worth a dickybird, looks like i will be catching up on some of these single player offline games. Jeez i hope someone release's something worthy of playing pretty soon, so far much of the hyped ones have been very dissapointing to say the least.

Wow you are so cool bro, I mean you totally can't sub LOTRO right? F2P and buying stuff from CS is the only way! I mean omg.

BTW you can throw away your WoW CDs cause WoW has a cash shop too. Buying pet in wow is no better then buying cosmetics in lotro plus u pay sub in wow.

• RocketeerRocketeer Member UncommonPosts: 1,303

Guys chill out. CM already said they will have the same point prices as Turbine, but need to catch up because the sales are on a schedule and they are 2 months late. Compare prices Turbine had 2 weeks after launch with what CM has now and you will see there isn't much difference. Only difference we know what kind of sales are coming.

We are also one store version late, so what? This song was valid when it was doubtful if CM would ever actually get F2P, but im certainly not going to put up with the piss poor service EU customers get in the US just to save a few bucks or get sales a bit faster on your national holidays. Come back when you have localised clients, official RP servers where retards get kicked and a primetime that isn't somewhere around 3 AM. Better pray the per server population doesn't go back to normal levels anytime soon, like it does for all MMOs even for WoW with 12 mil players, because you will be one lonely guy/gal.

And thats not even mentioning that there will be hardly any new EU players join you on the US servers, there will be people stuck in a shrinking subculture, with fully fleshed out chars that wish they rolled in EU. Again if you think the EU population in US will actually grow or stay the same your delusional, LotRO EU was a tremendous success here, just look at this. That huge peak? Thats the first weekend after EU launch. The comparatively shallow line before was the combined population of US and EU.

And yes its xfire, and it has been right dozens of times with AoC, Warhammer, STO, CO and many other games, its right now too.

• trancejeremytrancejeremy Member UncommonPosts: 1,222

Unfortunately our (US) government seems to think that massive spending + printing lots of money is the key to financial success.  That last one was bad about it, and the new one is even worse.

But whether or not you think it actually does anything to boost the economy, it does have the side effect of making our money less and less valuable.

So yeah, when you compare exchange rates, it's going to be bad. And it's going to get even worse as the QE2 kicks in. But great for people who want to buy stuff priced in dollars (too bad we don't make anything anymore...)

But anyway, as to the sales, you are sort of cherry picking the data. Picking the absolute best sales Turbine has run vs what CM has done in a far more limited time.

R.I.P. City of Heroes and my 17 characters there

Its not transfer rates !

Quest pack costs 50 points in US, and in Europe it costs 280 points (and that is at reduced price !!!)

Items in EU store are 300% more expensive.

Thing that costs 20$ in US LOTRO , costs 60$ in EU LOTRO

Originally posted by trancejeremy

Unfortunately our (US) government seems to think that massive spending + printing lots of money is the key to financial success.  That last one was bad about it, and the new one is even worse.

But whether or not you think it actually does anything to boost the economy, it does have the side effect of making our money less and less valuable.

So yeah, when you compare exchange rates, it's going to be bad. And it's going to get even worse as the QE2 kicks in. But great for people who want to buy stuff priced in dollars (too bad we don't make anything anymore...)

But anyway, as to the sales, you are sort of cherry picking the data. Picking the absolute best sales Turbine has run vs what CM has done in a far more limited time.

You know, this was one of the few times i was proud of our chancellor Angela Merkel, i didn't vote for her and i think she made a mess of our inner politics, but atleast she stands up to the US when they are wrong. Can't tell you how much Barack Obama is disappointing people in Europe, so much hope for change, and yet he is just another US president prone to irrational panic decisions to secure his next turn. 

I mean that man is not stupid, he knows what he is doing is wrong. The US have fought decades to open world markets for good reason, and now they want to go around capping other nations exports (germany, japan, china), while devaluing their own currency in the vain hope it will magically solve their problems. The problems the US has are not made in china, germany, japan or somewhere else, they are very much homegrown.

And yes this will change alot of things if the dollar gets even weaker, especially for US based MMOs. It also means that the importance of the european market increases for Turbine, while the importance of your own market wanes. Strong Exports alone are not that hot for the individual, especially as its a double edged sword with more expensive imports. We had that in the DDR, trust me it sucks if you can't afford other countries products.

Bottomline though is that the US are isolating themselves politically with their current actions, they are just to obviously made to further only your own ends.

• smutsmut Member Posts: 250

Originally posted by Rocketeer

Originally posted by trancejeremy

You know, this was one of the few times i was proud of our chancellor Angela Merkel, i didn't vote for her and i think she made a mess of our inner politics, but atleast she stands up to the US when they are wrong. Can't tell you how much Barack Obama is disappointing people in Europe, so much hope for change, and yet he is just another US president prone to irrational panic decisions to secure his next turn. 

I mean that man is not stupid, he knows what he is doing is wrong. The US have fought decades to open world markets for good reason, and now they want to go around capping other nations exports (germany, japan, china), while devaluing their own currency in the vain hope it will magically solve their problems. The problems the US has are not made in china, germany, japan or somewhere else, they are very much homegrown.

And yes this will change alot of things if the dollar gets even weaker, especially for US based MMOs. It also means that the importance of the european market increases for Turbine, while the importance of your own market wanes. Strong Exports alone are not that hot for the individual, especially as its a double edged sword with more expensive imports. We had that in the DDR, trust me it sucks if you can't afford other countries products.

Bottomline though is that the US are isolating themselves politically with their current actions, they are just to obviously made to further only your own ends.

It's because the big bankers control everything. But this is off topic, political discussions are only allowed in the politics forum (which is a cesspool).

• MMOrUSMMOrUS Member Posts: 414

Originally posted by Manestream

You do realise there is a subscription package that gives you access to the entire game don't you?

Originally posted by smut

It's because the big bankers control everything. But this is off topic, political discussions are only allowed in the politics forum (which is a cesspool).

Your right, but its sad enough that these political sheningans start to directly impact gamers. If the dollar crashes and the Euro stays stable there will be a vast difference between US/EU service. 

• ste2000ste2000 Member EpicPosts: 6,194

Originally posted by Lobotomist

USA LOTRO Lone Lands quest pack 50 points. - EU LOTRO Lone Lands quest pack 270 points.

I waited so much for EU side to go live. Now i figure i wasted my time. It would smarter to move to USA servers in the long run...

People always forget that in Europe we pay around 20% more for our goods than the USA because of the VAT......................

• AugurkAugurk Member UncommonPosts: 16

Originally posted by ste2000

Originally posted by Lobotomist

People always forget that in Europe we pay around 20% more for our goods than the USA because of the VAT......................

People tend to forget stuff like this. Different economies are hardly comparable.

• crazynannycrazynanny Member Posts: 173

Also people tend to forget that cash shop points are hardly comparable with real goods(aka they ain't produced at all). Apart greed there is no reason not to offer same amount of points for very same price even including tax.

Originally posted by crazynanny

Also people tend to forget that cash shop points are hardly comparable with real goods(aka they ain't produced at all). Apart greed there is no reason not to offer same amount of points for very same price even including tax.

That would only be possible if you IP blocked non EU/US countries. Because US citizen do not have to pay EU VAT, having same price after tax would make EU points 20% cheaper for US citizen. People tend to forget that.

• AugurkAugurk Member UncommonPosts: 16

Originally posted by crazynanny

The fact they are virtual "items" doesn't make them free for Codemasters. Everything from the Lotro licensing Codemasters pay through to the housing of their offices to the running of their servers and the hiring of personnel has to be paid partially from those points. All of which are heavily influenced by local tax and other law (f.i. personnel have much more law protection in the EU and therefore cost a lot more) regimes.

Oh, and beside that the shareholders expect them to make a bit of profit with the money they have invested in the company. But that is much the same in the USA.

Its not difference in VAT

Same item in USA shop costs 50 , and in EU 300 points.

(on the top turbine points are more expensive due to VAT in Europe, anyway)

EU prices turn out to be up to X4 times more expensive !!!