Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Warhammer Online: Age of Reckoning: October Producer's Letter

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129

The October 2010 Producers Letter from Warhammer Online's Carrie Gouskos has been posted on the Warhammer Herald. It's a short post but packed with information about the 1.4.0 which contains content for all users of the game. Additionally, Gouskos talks about the Verminous Horde which will be hitting the EA store very soon. The Verminous Horde brings new content and equipment into the game. Check out the list.

The Verminous Horde RVR Pack Details

Progression Pack

• Access to RR 100 which grants you access to achieve:

• Two new armor sets: Doomflayer and Warpforged

• All new high level scenario weapons.

• Accelerated RR leveling across all characters on the account up to RR 80
Personality Pack

• 4 Barber Surgeon tokens to change your character’s appearance

• 4 Vanity Pets including the Ugly Hound and the Iron Hawk

• Heavy Mount for RR60 characters with a 70% speed bonus

• New dye options on the dye merchant

Read the full Producer's Letter and check out the 1.4.0 patch notes for more information.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• TheTookeTheTooke Member Posts: 55

Wait, there are people still working on this?

Robots will kill you!

• LeucentLeucent Member Posts: 2,371

if you actually played the game, you would see not only are there people working on it, but they re doing a great job at it.

• Methos12Methos12 Member UncommonPosts: 1,244

Originally posted by TheTooke

Wait, there are people still working on this?

I'm actually surprised by what they're doing given that EA most likely has WAR on skeletal crew by now.

Civilized men are more discourteous than savages because they know they can be impolite without having their skulls split, as a general thing.
  • OzmodanOzmodan Member EpicPosts: 9,726

Yeah, it is hard when the basic game design has flaws that are very difficult to change.  What I do not understand is why Mythic did not learn from DAoC.  It seems they just repeated many of the mistakes from DAoC like overpowered CC or forgot the successful design points like the 3 races.

They are not fixing the problems with this game, just trying to throw more content at it.  

Should be a lesson to anyone trying to work with Games Workshop.  I don't expect Warhammer 40k to be any better because of that problem.

• EcabanaEcabana Member Posts: 95

One of the most fun experience i had in PvP but won't comeback until there's a Free to Play model.

• Daffid011Daffid011 Member UncommonPosts: 7,945

Wow those RVR packs are really depressing to look at. If this is what their content packs are going to offer, why not just make the game free to play.  The progression pack is nothing buy selling power. 

• AlexisfireAlexisfire Member Posts: 52

Can't wait for it, i wan't My SKAVEN!!!!

• Frostbite05Frostbite05 Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 1,880

Originally posted by Ozmodan

Yeah, it is hard when the basic game design has flaws that are very difficult to change.  What I do not understand is why Mythic did not learn from DAoC.  It seems they just repeated many of the mistakes from DAoC like overpowered CC or forgot the successful design points like the 3 races.

They are not fixing the problems with this game, just trying to throw more content at it.  

Should be a lesson to anyone trying to work with Games Workshop.  I don't expect Warhammer 40k to be any better because of that problem.

The three races had nothing to do with it. Everything was just so balanced thats even with just 2 races it would have still worked like a charm

• InfalibleInfalible Member Posts: 204

Bioware Mythic need to swallow their pride and realise that Warhammer Online should move to a hybridised model. It does look like they are attempting to butter up current fans by moving forward with "testing the water" type content, which is entirely counter-productive. Bluntly Warhammer Online is nothing, its current play base is nothing and its profitability is next to nothing.

Here's hoping Bioware don't screw up their role as overseer of EAs MMO efforts.

http://www.themmoquest.com - MMO commentary from an overly angry brit. OFFICIALLY LAUNCHED!

• OnyxBMWOnyxBMW Member Posts: 207

Originally posted by Infalible

Bioware Mythic need to swallow their pride and realise that Warhammer Online should move to a hybridised model. It does look like they are attempting to butter up current fans by moving forward with "testing the water" type content, which is entirely counter-productive. Bluntly Warhammer Online is nothing, its current play base is nothing and its profitability is next to nothing.

Here's hoping Bioware don't screw up their role as overseer of EAs MMO efforts.

Actually, on the one server that still has people (badlands), Warhammer Online is still bustling with activity.  The big problem I had when I recently re-tried it (august and september) was that the game is incredibly grind-centric.  That is to say, level 1-11 (was) fun on badlands (removed trial accounts from the server), 12-21 was pretty okay, but the loss  of people slowed down leveling a lot.  Level 22-31 is an absolute grind requiring champ rats since next to no one does the PVP anymore in that tier (it's rare to get scenarios, orvr is rare and sporadic short of community-driven events), and then you get to 32, and you're hit with balance issue after balance issue where you run into "seasoned" people in their imbalanced gear that are impossible for you to fight, that drop you like you're nothing, and are expected to do 7 more levels of grinding (+1 free war tract at 39 to hit 40 instantly) in either PVE content, which was always terrible, or PVP content, which has the aforementioned balance problems that absolutely destroy the fun.

Then you're expected to, after hitting 40, to spend months playing the game with that character to get up to a specific realm rank just to be able to fight the other seasoned people and....well...you get the idea.

The problem with WAR is that it's, simply, a grind.  The grind heavily detracts from the fun, especially because of the balance issues presented due to the grinding.  It's a style of game that should not have item acquisition as a method of power gain, especially due to its PVP-centric style.  But, no, like most modern MMO's, they have to have the skinnerian behavioral conditioning philosophies hardwired into it...

• Smallpox1Smallpox1 Member Posts: 28

Originally posted by OnyxBMW

Actually, on the one server that still has people (badlands), Warhammer Online is still bustling with activity.  The big problem I had when I recently re-tried it (august and september) was that the game is incredibly grind-centric.  That is to say, level 1-11 (was) fun on badlands (removed trial accounts from the server), 12-21 was pretty okay, but the loss  of people slowed down leveling a lot.  Level 22-31 is an absolute grind requiring champ rats since next to no one does the PVP anymore in that tier (it's rare to get scenarios, orvr is rare and sporadic short of community-driven events), and then you get to 32, and you're hit with balance issue after balance issue where you run into "seasoned" people in their imbalanced gear that are impossible for you to fight, that drop you like you're nothing, and are expected to do 7 more levels of grinding (+1 free war tract at 39 to hit 40 instantly) in either PVE content, which was always terrible, or PVP content, which has the aforementioned balance problems that absolutely destroy the fun.

Then you're expected to, after hitting 40, to spend months playing the game with that character to get up to a specific realm rank just to be able to fight the other seasoned people and....well...you get the idea.

The problem with WAR is that it's, simply, a grind.  The grind heavily detracts from the fun, especially because of the balance issues presented due to the grinding.  It's a style of game that should not have item acquisition as a method of power gain, especially due to its PVP-centric style.  But, no, like most modern MMO's, they have to have the skinnerian behavioral conditioning philosophies hardwired into it...

ah no mate.  for a start most of the servers are very active and full, out of the 10 servers there are only 3 that are low in population.

I just created a Black Guard on Karak Azgal and my experience was a very fun and packed tier 1-3, with multiple warbands on both sides every night.

I went into tier 4 at rank 28; and soloed a rank 80 BW (sovereign ring drop thankyou) as my second kill. I am now rank 37 (rr39) and am very much enjoying the pvp. Its not grindy at all, and I am almost at the psycho (10,000 pvp kills) title.

I win some fights and I lose some fights. Its all very balanced. I alreagy have 5 sovereign, full anihilator, and almost full conquerer, alot of warlord and invader and a 96 dps weapon, most of which I cant even use yet :)

I also have a rr80 BW and didnt find that grindy either. When is this 'grind' meant to start that you speak of?

• mjkittredgemjkittredge Member Posts: 126

I gave up on my main characters when they reached tier 3. Super laggy zones, super grindy RVR influence, super-overpowered LotD equipped opponents. I got tired of either dead zones, unplaybably laggy zones, getting my ass kicked constantly despite having the best gear I could get at my level and having been very successful in T2. T3 is a disaster and the reason I let my subscription expire. I still played on my free trial account though, T1 is great fun, although the new no trading and no talking on any channels is like being **** on by Mythic. And the taking away Scenarios (Khaines Embrace!) and taking away starter zones (Elf and Dwarf) were truly retarded decisions. I wanted to march over to Mythic headquarters and start slapping people in the face. In a game starving for content they're eliminating content. Insanity. And the player base could have told those F()ktards calling the shots over there all this before they went ahead with it. It's reached a level of being insulting. It's very hard to want to reward such poor decision making with money. Until they get that, WAR will continue to be the bastard child of the MMO world.