Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

How old were you when you played your first MMORPG?

Comments

• KyarraKyarra Member UncommonPosts: 789

I am in the 26+ category , first mmo I ever played was Phantasy Star Online for the Dreamcast, then went onto Dark Age of Camelot on the PC (tried EQ1 but never liked it)

• cukimungacukimunga Member UncommonPosts: 2,258

EQ when I was 17. Never really played any sandbox games until later on but now thats all I want to play. Themeparks bore me now but there really aren't many sandbox games that are populated. 

• MithrandolirMithrandolir Member UncommonPosts: 1,701

my first mmorpg was M59 in 1996 I think it was... so 25 yrs old.

I had been playing MUD's for years prior to that though...

• worldspin85worldspin85 Member Posts: 187

EQ was my first mmo also i was around 15 i forget when eq came out i played launch. Any as for sandbox games have u tried the free trial of Darkall? its an amazing game, hade the same fun as i did with EQ

• meleemadnessmeleemadness Member Posts: 592

EQ was my first and I was 37, I think.  I did play Wizardy on an Apple II+ back in the 80's and then late 80's played Baldur's Gate but they were RPGs.  EQ wsa my first MMO and was recommended to my by guys 10 years younger than me, where I worked.  I went to get AC2 instead but it didn't work so i went back for EQ and was floored!!!   The planes of power were just out when I started, 2003ish.

In the end I left EQ as I was tired of loggin on just to stand around LFG.....I left for SWG a month after it released. 

• RyukanRyukan Member UncommonPosts: 829

Evrequest was the first MMO I played, back when it was in beta so I would have been around 24 years old. But the first MMO I got hooked on was Asheron's Call which really started my prolonged love affairs with MMO's and got me used to playing a game for years hehe.

• Cephus404Cephus404 Member CommonPosts: 3,675

Originally posted by VirusDancer

People are more likely to have a family at 26+... so all in all, it is a decent cut off point.

So what?  Lots of people who have families play.  MMOs didn't even exist until I was in my 30s, before that it was text-based MUDs.

Played: UO, EQ, WoW, DDO, SWG, AO, CoH, EvE, TR, AoC, GW, GA, Aion, Allods, lots more
    Relatively Recently (Re)Played: HL2 (all), Halo (PC, all), Batman:AA; AC, ME, BS, DA, FO3, DS, Doom (all), LFD1&2, KOTOR, Portal 1&2, Blink, Elder Scrolls (all), lots more
    Now Playing: None
    Hope: None

• EnerzealEnerzeal Member Posts: 326

Dransik, which would become Ashen Empires. At the time it was a clone of UO really.

Such a good game! Was 12 years old, the year was 1999 I believe.

• dnarrisdnarris Member Posts: 267

Well, I don't even think the first MMO came out until I was 18 or 20, so I think the first one I played was around there.

Final Fantasy XI was the first MMO I played then I got into City of Heroes after that then into World of Warcraft. I've played a ton of different MMOs since then.

Currently, I'm playing Final Fantasy XIV, but I'm waiting for something else that catches my eye to come out.

• dnarrisdnarris Member Posts: 267

Originally posted by Cephus404

People are more likely to have a family at 26+... so all in all, it is a decent cut off point.

So what?  Lots of people who have families play.  MMOs didn't even exist until I was in my 30s, before that it was text-based MUDs.

I've played a ton of different MUDs. Achaea, Dragon's gate, Gemstone III, Dragonrealms, Ardwolf, and a bunch of others. Some of those are actually still really popular and some even still draw a good number of subscriptions.

• SuperXero89SuperXero89 Member UncommonPosts: 2,551

I'm not really sure I consider Everquest a themepark (or a sandbox), but I played that when I was thirteen.

• KenFisherKenFisher Member UncommonPosts: 5,035

Stops at 26?  When I was 26 the 286 was considered blazingly fast and games were still in 16 colors.

Back then MMO was 5 guys w/cigs and Mountain Dew playing DnD on paper.

Ken Fisher - Semi retired old fart Network Administrator, now working in Network Security.  I don't Forum PVP.  If you feel I've attacked you, it was probably by accident.  When I don't understand, I ask.  Such is not intended as criticism.
  • LarsaLarsa Member Posts: 990

Originally posted by Ramonski7

Time to reflect on things for a second. Quick poll to find out what this group is made up of. Also no need to post what game it was as I'm just curious about the raw numbers.

An interesting question you have in your thread title. As others already stated the poll sadly isn't the best one to answer the question however.

I'd recommend you make a new thread with a new poll and let people answer at what age they played their first MMORPG. Better remove the themepark/sandbox thing altogether because 5 years ago (pre WoW) that dichotomy didn't even exist.

Make the age categories something like this:

under 15

15 - 19

20 - 24

25 - 29

30 - 39

above 40

You might get surprised that there are significant numbers of older gamers, something the industry seems to forget too.

I maintain this List of Sandbox MMORPGs. Please post or send PM for corrections and suggestions.

• sentry13sentry13 Member Posts: 115

Originally posted by Larsa

Originally posted by Ramonski7

Time to reflect on things for a second. Quick poll to find out what this group is made up of. Also no need to post what game it was as I'm just curious about the raw numbers.

An interesting question you have in your thread title. As others already stated the poll sadly isn't the best one to answer the question however.

I'd recommend you make a new thread with a new poll and let people answer at what age they played their first MMORPG. Better remove the themepark/sandbox thing altogether because 5 years ago (pre WoW) that dichotomy didn't even exist.

You might get surprised that there are significant numbers of older gamers, something the industry seems to forget too.

Yeah, I was already almost 30 when I played my first mmo.  I think we need more age options in the poll.

• VirusDancerVirusDancer Member UncommonPosts: 3,649

Originally posted by Cephus404

It was explained.  What was explained is simple enough.  That's what.  Thanks.

I miss the MMORPG genre. Will a developer ever make one again?

Explorer: 87%, Killer: 67%, Achiever: 27%, Socializer: 20%

• NeikenNeiken Member Posts: 254

I was 17. I had been playing Rocket Arena 3 and D2 for a while. I saw someone talk about Ragnarok Online and explain to other members of Railbait.com forums.  Explained what it was and what a MMORPG was. He said it was kinda like D2 so i had to try it.

I tried it out and was hooked! It was in beta 1 at the time. I played it for years. Still play every once in awhile. For nostalgia purposes.

Ive tried just about everything on the market today, and game that arent anymore. I loved my first MMO. WIsh i could capture that feeling i had with my first again!!!

• Ramonski7Ramonski7 Member UncommonPosts: 2,662

Interesting. It seems like 14 to 17 is the sweet spot for most mmo gamers so far. And most of them seem to liken their draw to mmos from the lull of a sandbox mmo at that.

"Small minds talk about people, average minds talk about events, great minds talk about ideas."

• Ramones274Ramones274 Member Posts: 366

Everquest - 12 - the year was 2000.

Forever changed my life..not for the better.

There are two kinds of people in this world. People who pick their nose.. and liars.

• BenediktBenedikt Member UncommonPosts: 1,406

well, i think i started when i was 18 or 19 (at least i think it was in 1. yr of the college) with muds, that was 1995. i tried few mmorpgs when they were free (UO on unoficial shard etc.), but for couple of years muds were much more my thing. if i remeber correctly, first mmorpg i really played (by which i mean i paid for it :) and played it for longer time) were i think horizons (istaria) in 2003/4

• JimmydeanJimmydean Member UncommonPosts: 1,290

Started way back when, at age 12 with EQ. Now I'm 22, finished 4 years of college and working my way through Police Academy. I'd still play EQ if I had the time. Unfortunately I don't, so I play WoW. It's the only game I can still dominate while only having like 3 hours / week to play lol.

Once I finish Police Academy and get hired, you better believe I'll be playing EQ again. Unless Rift turns out to be the real EQ successor. Not holding my breath though.

• SordalSordal Member Posts: 23

UO when I was 6, My dad and his friends were making a private shard and I was aloud to run around testing things, dont know if it counts because at most there was maybe 30 people on the shard but it was the first mmo i played.

• BenthonBenthon Member Posts: 2,069

10, Everquest in June 1999.

He who keeps his cool best wins.

• SgtFrogSgtFrog Member Posts: 5,001

Lineage back when I was 13, 2002!

Actually WoW was the reason I decided to try out the game, I had heard about it and the concept of the MMORPG had interested me..

March on! - Lets Invade Pekopon

• rozenblade1rozenblade1 Member CommonPosts: 501

I was 22 and it was FFXI.....and it was two years ago haha.  I got started on MMOs very late...didnt have internet until I was able to buy my own computer just shortly after I turned 22. 

I had always wanted to play one of these so called MMOs haha, but I had never played ANY game on a computer other than the Oregon Trail at school haha.....I loved the FF series so naturally XI would be my first MMO.

It turned me on to the genre and now I'm hooked.

PLAYING: NOTHING!!!
    PLAYED:FFXI, LotRO, AoC, WAR, DDO, Megaten, Wurm, Rohan, Mabinogi, RoM

WAITING FOR: Dust 514

• KryptyKrypty Member UncommonPosts: 454

16 - Dark Age of Camelot.