Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

A short guide to everything we know about GW2

Comments

• Zeus.CMZeus.CM Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 1,788

agreed.

btw arenanet has been silent for a full week now, are they preparing something exciting for us? :=)

• YarlyYarly Member Posts: 53

They want 100k followers on facebook first I think.  Add them!

Guild Wars 2!

• causscauss Member UncommonPosts: 666

Originally posted by Yarly

They want 100k followers on facebook first I think.  Add them!

I did, now i'm curious, c'mon people :]

• just1opinionjust1opinion Member UncommonPosts: 4,641

Man I "friended" GW2 on FB AGES ago.

President of The Marvelously Meowhead Fan Club

• XsupermageX8XsupermageX8 Member Posts: 1

awesome job! this answered all my questions...can't wait for GW2 :D

• markyturnipmarkyturnip Member UncommonPosts: 837

Informative post, thanks.

Do you have a sense of release date?

• darkogeledarkogele Member Posts: 17

very nice post you got my thanks for it :D

• MumboJumboMumboJumbo Member UncommonPosts: 3,219

I did a little research on Dynamic Events and collated a bunch of quotes on them (primarily sourced from the wiki references) and then systemized and combined them to post here partly in my own words. They may be useful addition information on the nature of these?

1. Cyclical - "They're very cyclical in nature. They don't have a clear beginning or end."

2. Multidirectional - sensitive to player input -  "Events are not just pass/fail. You don't just black and white succeed or black and white beat them. Based on how the players interact with the event means that whatever happens next is different."

3. Timebased - Some (not all) Dynamic Events will change according to player input at different stages once an event has activated (EG: beginning-middle-end) will lead to different directions of branching (depending on the specific DE)

4. Layered - Some DE chains will lead to the same locations and even run parallel to each other leading to some emergent gameplay and kick off further DE chains in other areas. EG: "Particular events in this area involve dozens of different events, all contained within various chains." "Almost all the events in the game are part of chains that branch off into different directions depending on the actions the players take."

5. Triggered - Some Dynamic Events will happen with some regularity on their own (players or no players) while others are triggered by players (different triggers available) and yet some others are entirely random. Events react to the (game)world, not to individual players.

6. Persistent - Events will progress regardless of whether players are participating in them or are even in the area and may cycle for different durations.  Events occur pretty frequently so an empty map wouldn’t stay that way for very long.

7. Scaling - More mobs spawned, more skills unlocked for mob(s), higher mob levels, more conditions or for more players to win/lose an event allows proportional challenge to player numbers/damage output etc

8. Combinations - "These event cycles vary dramatically on a case-by-case basis. In some large event chains, depending on player participation and the outcome of events, the chain could go entirely from one end to the other over the course of hours before it cycles back. In other cases, the event may change the world for 10-15 minutes before it can cycle back around. Some events only occur when specific conditions are met, like a snow storm rolls into the map, or night falls over the graveyard. If an event reaches one end of the chain, it could sit at that point for days, weeks, or months until a player comes along and decides to participate in the event chain. We’ve tried to vary the conditions that trigger events and change the length and variety of the event cycles so that everything feels organic and unique."

9. Rewards: Success/Failure both lead to rewards (different amounts) and proportional participation and intangible-exchangables (gold, xp, karma) and medals of completion/achievement. "If a player or group of players were to figure out a way to cause an event to fail, it would often just cause another different event to pop up."

So to brush up some confusion or vague use of words:

(1) Pass/Fail, Success/Failure, Branching/Chains, Cyclical/Linear, Timed/States are all applicable in some way or other but depending on the context.

The above outlines this, but examples would illustrate this and lots of examples would be used for the various 8. combinations!

• EvilGeekEvilGeek Member UncommonPosts: 1,258

Originally posted by MumboJumbo
    I did a little research on Dynamic Events and collated a bunch of quotes on them (primarily sourced from the wiki references) and then systemized and combined them to post here partly in my own words. They may be useful addition information on the nature of these?

1. Cyclical - "They're very cyclical in nature. They don't have a clear beginning or end."
    2. Multidirectional - sensitive to player input -  "Events are not just pass/fail. You don't just black and white succeed or black and white beat them. Based on how the players interact with the event means that whatever happens next is different."
    3. Timebased - Some (not all) Dynamic Events will change according to player input at different stages once an event has activated (EG: beginning-middle-end) will lead to different directions of branching (depending on the specific DE)
    4. Layered - Some DE chains will lead to the same locations and even run parallel to each other leading to some emergent gameplay and kick off further DE chains in other areas. EG: "Particular events in this area involve dozens of different events, all contained within various chains." "Almost all the events in the game are part of chains that branch off into different directions depending on the actions the players take."
    5. Triggered - Some Dynamic Events will happen with some regularity on their own (players or no players) while others are triggered by players (different triggers available) and yet some others are entirely random. Events react to the (game)world, not to individual players.
    6. Persistent - Events will progress regardless of whether players are participating in them or are even in the area and may cycle for different durations.  Events occur pretty frequently so an empty map wouldn’t stay that way for very long.
    7. Scaling - More mobs spawned, more skills unlocked for mob(s), higher mob levels, more conditions or for more players to win/lose an event allows proportional challenge to player numbers/damage output etc
    8. Combinations - "These event cycles vary dramatically on a case-by-case basis. In some large event chains, depending on player participation and the outcome of events, the chain could go entirely from one end to the other over the course of hours before it cycles back. In other cases, the event may change the world for 10-15 minutes before it can cycle back around. Some events only occur when specific conditions are met, like a snow storm rolls into the map, or night falls over the graveyard. If an event reaches one end of the chain, it could sit at that point for days, weeks, or months until a player comes along and decides to participate in the event chain. We’ve tried to vary the conditions that trigger events and change the length and variety of the event cycles so that everything feels organic and unique."
    9. Rewards: Success/Failure both lead to rewards (different amounts) and proportional participation and intangible-exchangables (gold, xp, karma) and medals of completion/achievement. "If a player or group of players were to figure out a way to cause an event to fail, it would often just cause another different event to pop up."
    So to brush up some confusion or vague use of words:
    (1) Pass/Fail, Success/Failure, Branching/Chains, Cyclical/Linear, Timed/States are all applicable in some way or other but depending on the context.
    The above outlines this, but examples would illustrate this and lots of examples would be used for the various 8. combinations!

Great post! I've linked to it in the OP under events.

Apologies for not seeing it sooner, haven't visited this thread in a while, we needz news! :)

Since the reveal of Necromancer, there was no real info about gw2 for three months (not including HoM calculator)... What's going on, i'm starving for some real information  like new class reveal... Anyone with me?

• Elox1Elox1 Member Posts: 211

Originally posted by thedarkess

Since the reveal of Necromancer, there was no real info about gw2 for three months (not including HoM calculator)... What's going on, i'm starving for some real information  like new class reveal... Anyone with me?

If you haven't read the PC Gamer articles in the last few months I recommend looking at them as they had some interesting bits of information.  You can also look at the data collected from the demos and consider that additional information.  There was also the odd interview like the pvp interview with Izzy recently.  

All in all while the information from official Anet releases has been quiet there has still been a fair bit of info in the last few months.

Originally posted by Elox1

If you haven't read the PC Gamer articles in the last few months I recommend looking at them as they had some interesting bits of information.  You can also look at the data collected from the demos and consider that additional information.  There was also the odd interview like the pvp interview with Izzy recently.  

All in all while the information from official Anet releases has been quiet there has still been a fair bit of info in the last few months.

I will gladly check those out. thank you elox.

• dreampendreampen Member Posts: 1

Hello! I joined these forums just for this thread. I'm an old GW player and am eagerly awaiting GW2.

I just want to throw the following in. If you look for ArenaNet's GW2 Manifesto video (like in YouTube), go to around 2:08. You'll find art for a masked guy in a long coat dual-wielding daggers.

It's not a Ranger. The Ranger profile in the official GW2 site specifically states that Rangers can only wield axes and swords in their Main Hand. Based on size and form, it's definitely a dagger and not a sword.

He may be a Necromancer because they can dual-wield daggers. However, the armor he wears looks too heavy to be mage armor. His pose is also too dynamic and stanced for a mage-type as well.

Either this guy is an Assassin (whether NPC only or  actually a Player Profession) or another class.  Personally I hope it's the former and indeed a Profession open to players. image

Thank you for your time!

• Master10KMaster10K Member Posts: 3,065

I'm just going to ignore that last comment, since we've all talked about potential professions in great detail already. But what I want to mention is the Interview with Colin Johanson on Guild Mag, The interview didn't really reveal anything new, if you've been keeping up with the news, but it did one thing and that is confirm the difficulty of the Dungeons. Here's the section that intrigued me the most:

"As for what makes dungeons harder, they are specifically tuned in difficulty so they are balanced to be harder than normal content. The monsters use more advanced skills and builds, coordinate together, come in larger numbers, and have elite versions of normal monsters that can be more difficult to contend with. There are a number of lesser bosses with various abilities and skills you need to overcome, and mega-bosses that are extremely difficult highly coordinated battles that push the skills of your group. In particular, repeatable mode is designed to be the hardest content you encounter in Guild Wars 2, and the highest level dungeon repeatable content should provide exciting and fun challenges for player groups long after the release of the game."

So yeah... to all the people who were saying that GW2 looked easy from all the demos you saw/played. There will be difficult Dungeons.

• nomssnomss Member UncommonPosts: 1,468

I know they have said the dynamic events will be group play friendly, but is there an actual content for hardcore group (party) players? Like in FFXI you had to party to level up, is there content you can party and get exp?

I know there are dungeons but they're only every 10 levels, what about in between?

• AblestronAblestron Member Posts: 333

Originally posted by nomss

I know they have said the dynamic events will be group play friendly, but is there an actual content for hardcore group (party) players? Like in FFXI you had to party to level up, is there content you can party and get exp?

I know there are dungeons but they're only every 10 levels, what about in between?

dynamic events reward you with gold exp and karma after every event if you particapated, if that isnt enough for you then you might try W v W v W as it is available to all levels and gives you exp like pve would.

• Cik_AsalinCik_Asalin Member Posts: 3,033

Originally posted by dreampen

Hello! I joined these forums just for this thread. I'm an old GW player and am eagerly awaiting GW2.

I just want to throw the following in. If you look for ArenaNet's GW2 Manifesto video (like in YouTube), go to around 2:08. You'll find art for a masked guy in a long coat dual-wielding daggers.

It's not a Ranger. The Ranger profile in the official GW2 site specifically states that Rangers can only wield axes and swords in their Main Hand. Based on size and form, it's definitely a dagger and not a sword.

He may be a Necromancer because they can dual-wield daggers. However, the armor he wears looks too heavy to be mage armor. His pose is also too dynamic and stanced for a mage-type as well.

Either this guy is an Assassin (whether NPC only or  actually a Player Profession) or another class.  Personally I hope it's the former and indeed a Profession open to players. image

Thank you for your time!

Excellent catch. Without a doubt, GW2 will be a huge success, and ANET has never disappointed;me at least.  With a couple "appealing" subscription-based mmo's coming out in 2011, it will be very hard to justify greater game-play value for most of those subscription-based mmo's when compared to the potential breadth and depth of game-play entertainment for the pvevp crowd that ANET is assumed to deliver with GW2.

I've consistently saud that GW2 will be my casual goto as GW1 was, but I wonder myself if that casual consideration will turn into more of a "main" consideration. 

• ullysisullysis Member Posts: 2

I only have 1 serious question. Will there be 2 sets of gear - 1 for PvE and 1 for PvP? I seriously despise all games that require me to spend the time I should use having fun, running around to get PvP gear. I've never quite understood why they don't let you keep whatever ur wearing and just reduce all PvP dmg done in the PvP zones by 60% or something.. Instead it's arena gear or abyss gear..bah.

Anywhoo, has anyone found any information on this topic. Tnx

• grimm6thgrimm6th Member Posts: 973

Originally posted by ullysis

I only have 1 serious question. Will there be 2 sets of gear - 1 for PvE and 1 for PvP? I seriously despise all games that require me to spend the time I should use having fun, running around to get PvP gear. I've never quite understood why they don't let you keep whatever ur wearing and just reduce all PvP dmg done in the PvP zones by 60% or something.. Instead it's arena gear or abyss gear..bah.

in WvW, there will be no armor or level balancing.  WvW is the 3 server week-long battle for those who don't know.

in structured PvP, you will automatically get PvP armor and be leveled to the correct level.

I used to TL;DR, but then I took a bullet point to the footnote.

• ullysisullysis Member Posts: 2

Originally posted by grimm6th

Originally posted by ullysis

in WvW, there will be no armor or level balancing.  WvW is the 3 server week-long battle for those who don't know.

in structured PvP, you will automatically get PvP armor and be leveled to the correct level.

This is very good news. Thanks so much for the information, means I don't have to avoid this potentially awesome game cos I enjoy structured pvping. I just don't have the luxury of time to spend jumping through redundant hoops to get a specific set of pvp gear before I can compete. If this game automatically gives the PvP gear then It's just left to skill..nniceee :D

• RequiamerRequiamer Member Posts: 2,034

Damn almost everything i read in the op post is like something i'm waiting for in a mmo, whith few minor plus and minus.

so will areanet release something big this year like new class or what? been waiting for months for some real news :( pls pls, reveal new class, pls do it for me arenanet, do it for xmas :D

• KillHurtKillHurt Member Posts: 347

so will areanet release something big this year like new class or what? been waiting for months for some real news :( pls pls, reveal new class, pls do it for me arenanet, do it for xmas :D

As much as we would all love a nice Christmas present from ANet, I wouldn't count on it. 

The beginning of 2011 should see a lot of news though!

• MilkopilkoMilkopilko Member Posts: 28

The name section is a bit short, perhaps you could mention that you will have the ability to reserve your guild wars 1 name for guild wars 2 through Hall of Monuments?