Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Skill Based PvP-centric game?

jg0530jg0530 Member Posts: 47

Hey everyone,

I'm looking for a game that is PvP centric and heavily skill based. I'm not looking to win a fight/match/duel/whatever because I'm 10 levels higher and have +5 more Strength on my weapon, I want to win because I outplayed my opponent.

Right now the main game I play is Fantasy Earth Zero (FEZ) it's a great PvP game, but with laggers/glitchers/crappy servers it takes away a lot of fun of the game. That and Vindictus are where most of my gaming time is spent.

Even if it is a mostly PvE game with a skill based PvP aspect that would be awesome. Any genre really works, Sci-Fi, Fantasy, ect.

Thanks in advance!

Comments

• H3r3tikH3r3tik Member UncommonPosts: 24

Have you tried Global Agenda? Fun, fast paced, skill oriented.

• RazzmatazzzRazzmatazzz Member Posts: 26

Guild Wars has probably the most chalenging and skill based esports pvp when it comes to online rpgs or mmos.

• DragimDragim Member UncommonPosts: 867

People might mention Darkfall.  It is pretty ruthless though, as when you die, people can fully loot your body and take everything you had on you.

Granted it does take skill, but to melee, you have to be good at running around in circles, or "jousting", or just acting like a chicken with their head cut off.  No one stands still, you basically run around in circles, or triangles, or whatever pattern you want and try to time your "melee swing" so you hit the player as you run by them.

Archery is like a FPS shooter, but is done extremely well, one of my favorite parts.  Magic is the same way.

Though Darkfall's skillsystem will leave you dieing to these others, as they will be extremely powerful compared to you.  No matter what anyone says, "Sure a noob can kill a vet", yeah if the vet sucks, but most likely his skills will be honed and combined with gear you will die

I am entitled to my opinions, misspellings, and grammatical errors.

I think if he wants a even and fair pvp inviroment Darkfall is definetly the wrong choice.

• jg0530jg0530 Member Posts: 47

Originally posted by H3r3tik

Have you tried Global Agenda? Fun, fast paced, skill oriented.

Hmm, I actually have the game, just haven't played in say...3-4 months? I know there was a lot of changes happening so I never really looked into it again. I might check it out again, thanks!

If you want even fights with no gear or stat advantage GW is i think the best choice but if you are looking for a less forgiving pvp system eve and maybe darkfall might interest you.

• Lionheart23Lionheart23 Member Posts: 17

Lineage II has a good pvp system, even if it's quite an old mmo.

• DragimDragim Member UncommonPosts: 867

You could try warhammer online.  Though it is somewhat in decline, they have an endless free trial up to level 10.  I enjoyed it while I played.

I am entitled to my opinions, misspellings, and grammatical errors.

• bunnyhopperbunnyhopper Member CommonPosts: 2,751

Look at the gamut of fps or rts games then. I would recommend DF but all mmo's have progression systems and as such will never be decided solely by skill alone.

You can write off any game that has specific class/levels for a start as they (from my own experience) are the worst for placing gear/class over player skill, perhaps EVE maybe but then the combat system is not for everyone.

Your choices (in my humble opinion) are:

RTSrpgs - LoL and Bloodline Champions.

FPS skill mmos - DF.

Tactical skill games - EVE.

Pure FPS/RTS shooters.

Gear/level grind pap - everything else.

I will add if you do find one that fits your remit, let me know!

"Come and have a look at what you could have won."

• JakdstripperJakdstripper Member RarePosts: 2,410

Originally posted by Dragim

People might mention Darkfall. 

i have to disagree. DF would be a prime choice if all the stats had a cap. with the endless stast progression you are always at a disadvantage against someone that has been playing longer then you.

as for what the OP is looking for it's actually quite hard since most mmos have some sort of dice roll mechaninc ( like crits, or evade/resist chances, etc ) even if it's very marginal. i really can't think of any that has a completely fair and non chance based combat. only fps games tend to have that.

• NetSageNetSage Member UncommonPosts: 1,059

Umm sounds like your looking for something like League of Legends.  As no true MMORPG will let someone who's played a few days stand a chance against a character who's played for month(1v1 that is).

Or, maybe like TF2 where you're pretty even but better weapons can be unlocked after a long period of play.

• dr_schulledr_schulle Member Posts: 5

ah good skillbased pvp game is "Neocron2". but unfortunatly the server are empty :-(

• Pyro240Pyro240 Member Posts: 194

Bloodline Champions

nom nom nom

• TruthXHurtsTruthXHurts Member UncommonPosts: 1,555

http://www.dark-wind.com 

Sandbox Skill Based Post Apocalyptic Car Combat

Full Loot PVP

Completely Customizable Cars

Player ID 13287 for referal

"I am not in a server with Gankers...THEY ARE IN A SERVER WITH ME!!!"