Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Star Wars: The Old Republic: Warzones and Crafting Overview

MikeBMikeB Community ManagerAdministrator RarePosts: 6,555

EA recently revealed the first solid details on Star Wars: The Old Republic’s PvP and crafting features as part of its annual Winter Showcase in London. Read below for a breakdown of the details.

The first Warzone to be revealed is the Alderaan Warzone, which will pit teams of eight players against each other in an objective-based PvP scenario focused on securing the planet’s defenses. Each Warzone will feature different mechanics and objectives, as opposed to simply serving as different locations to do battle in.

Read the full overview here.

Comments

• MMO.MaverickMMO.Maverick Member CommonPosts: 7,619

? 2 News articles posted about the same topic and with the same source link?

I think there has been a mistake, your colleague Suzie already posted this earlier, Mike image

The ACTUAL size of MMORPG worlds: a comparison list between MMO's

The ease with which predictions are made on these forums:
    Fratman: "I'm saying Spring 2012 at the earliest [for TOR release]. Anyone still clinging to 2011 is deluding themself at this point."

• MikeBMikeB Community ManagerAdministrator RarePosts: 6,555

This one points to a short feature giving a breakdown of the newly announced systems. :)

• MMO.MaverickMMO.Maverick Member CommonPosts: 7,619

Ah, I see!

The ACTUAL size of MMORPG worlds: a comparison list between MMO's

The ease with which predictions are made on these forums:
    Fratman: "I'm saying Spring 2012 at the earliest [for TOR release]. Anyone still clinging to 2011 is deluding themself at this point."

• NephaeriusNephaerius Member UncommonPosts: 1,671

Finally we get some pvp and crafting info and unsurprisingly it's instanced battlegrounds and crafting not even done by your player character.  While I'm not surprised and perhaps others are enthused, this is simply another reason for me to not play this game.  Perhaps when more pvp info comes out I will change my mind, but I doubt it.

Steam: Neph

• NekrataalNekrataal Member Posts: 557

The 2 key words for Bioware in designing this game are "Story" & "Accessibility".

Up until now, we were informed in ample supply about the story part.

Now, we've just been informed about the second part. The one that everyone was clamouring about.

Bioware is sticking to its words & now present to you the "Accessibility" part.

Is it a good thing, a bad thing, thats for you to judge...

• kaliniskalinis Member Posts: 1,428

So heres an idea leave tor blogs alone and go do something else. If u dont like the game or how it sounds just go away. Its not like your gonna ever buy this game.If u hate this game right now u are never gonna play it so why spew hate all over the forums about i?

Im serious why do u have to go put a damper on every post about tor. Its not your job to make me no play it. Its my job to decide what game i will or wont play what sounds good to me and what doesnt. Its not up to u to choose what the community as a whole enjoys or has fun doing as a whole.

Personally i perfer when pvp is in bg/s arenas and instanced. Open world pvp usually consists of 80s camping and killing level 20s for fun till other 80s show up to help them then they run like chickens so no real world pvp gets done anyways. Since the people who want world pvp are the ones who wanna game newbs and run like chickens when people there own level show up.

Pvp in this case is just one form bioware has stated like 100 times already there are multple kinds of pvp and given mythics history of pvp in there games like warhammer i dont think u will have to worry about this phase of the game. As for crafting all u do in most games is click a button and the game makes it for u.

At least this way u can do other stuff while u craft. Plus its like a small smidgen of the crafting info. So what if your companions do the crafting u still control what they craft and when just like any other game .

• mmogawdmmogawd Member Posts: 732

Originally posted by Nephaerius

Finally we get some pvp and crafting info and unsurprisingly it's instanced battlegrounds and crafting not even done by your player character.  While I'm not surprised and perhaps others are enthused, this is simply another reason for me to not play this game.  Perhaps when more pvp info comes out I will change my mind, but I doubt it.

They've already said there will be instanced battlegrounds, like this, as well as open world PvP. 

• FoomerangFoomerang Member UncommonPosts: 5,628

The approach to crafting/gathering sounds interesting. As long as the items are worth making endgame and beyond, could be fun. I like how it is based at your ship/home.

• MMOrUSMMOrUS Member Posts: 414

About time a developer thought of taking the grind out of crafting, I am really looking forward to this new type of crafting, to me this means that my companions and the hunt to find new and interesting companions will be a major focus of my gameplay, they will become just as important as that piece of epic loot, will different companions have different bonuses to harvesting skills or crafting skills, will they have better access to recipes, etc etc etc, I look forward to reading more on this.

• jaxsundanejaxsundane Member Posts: 2,776

I've been asking the same question since the first release this morning, what makes TOR so much worse crafting when essentially in all mmorpg's with crafting it comes down to you clicking a button and the computer generating an item for you.  People keep complaining that your companions do all the crafting (which I have never once seen said by BW) but this is relevant only if they just run off and do what they chose to on their own, if you click a button and choose what they craft it is essentially the same as every other game with crafting no matter how much the naysayers try and delude themselves.

As far as the criticism goes, I think most of the negative comments here have been sensible in that they have tended to offer up an opinion of what they think of the games development and then moved on, where I have a problem is when people start preading misinformation which I haven't seen at all here yet.

but yeah, to call this game Fantastic is like calling Twilight the Godfather of vampire movies....

True id love to know more about how i get more companions. I knwo each class gets 1 just for beign that class. I like the diplomacy stuff. U can play at a sith inquisitor and have guys go affect republic polotics like palpatine did or do u only get to do sith polotics? there is alot of stuff id like to k now on this part of the game now.

They got me very interested. Im just sayign if every time bioware releases new info u dont like it u arent gonna buy this game so why post and try to ruin those of us who actually look forward to this game enjoy the info we did get.

Pvp in mythic games is usually top notch though. And since mythic guys are working on the pvp of this game i never worried those that liked pvp wouldnt like tors pvp.

And i think the approach to gathering and craftign sounds cool. The diffrence is your  active guys who are out in feild while u quest or explore will be the ones getting the node nto u. U still send them to gather it. I look forward to trying this new crafting system out especially the polotics one.

• Jimmy562Jimmy562 Member UncommonPosts: 1,158

Originally posted by kalinis

True id love to know more about how i get more companions.

You won't get that info. You should play the game and find this sort of stuff out for yourself. So you'll have to wait.

I figured.  Good news is i have every intention of playing this game. Im actuually getting my gf interested. The companions and companions doing stuff for u sounds cool to her. Shes the one got me to play wow so i guess its only fair.

• zaylinzaylin Member UncommonPosts: 794

Looks fun

• DistopiaDistopia Member EpicPosts: 21,183

Originally posted by zaylin

Looks fun

Yep, which is the most important thing. I couldn't care less if it's innovative, deep, complex or what have you. As long as it's fun I will be happy.

For every minute you are angry , you lose 60 seconds of happiness."-Emerson

• TalthanysTalthanys Member Posts: 458

They really need to improve those animations. It might help if they showcase more dynamic PvP in these warzones. While I liked the concept and the video was a general bump for my interest in SW:ToR, it looked like it was AI fighting AI, not actual Players versus other Players. No strafing or moving out of LOS, mostly just toe to toe button mashing.

Still, an interesting PvP instance, all things considered.

-tal

• Honeymoon69Honeymoon69 Member Posts: 647

sounds like warhammer lol.

• DistopiaDistopia Member EpicPosts: 21,183

Originally posted by Honeymoon69

sounds like warhammer lol.

Them's be fightin' words.

In seriousness, in a way, yet the use of actual strategic functions sets it apart. Rather than your run of the mill fps style flag capturing and winning by kills and/or points.

For every minute you are angry , you lose 60 seconds of happiness."-Emerson

• grimfallgrimfall Member UncommonPosts: 1,153

Originally posted by jaxsundane

I've been asking the same question since the first release this morning, what makes TOR so much worse crafting when essentially in all mmorpg's with crafting it comes down to you clicking a button and the computer generating an item for you.  People keep complaining that your companions do all the crafting (which I have never once seen said by BW) but this is relevant only if they just run off and do what they chose to on their own, if you click a button and choose what they craft it is essentially the same as every other game with crafting no matter how much the naysayers try and delude themselves.

As far as the criticism goes, I think most of the negative comments here have been sensible in that they have tended to offer up an opinion of what they think of the games development and then moved on, where I have a problem is when people start preading misinformation which I haven't seen at all here yet.

1. You've never played EQ2 or Vanguard

2. Read the previous comments, as there is one about how you will go around trying to find a crew that is good at crafting, and finding a good crew member could be like "epic loot" - which may or may not be true, but it's certainly an innovative feature if it is.

The video of the combat bothers me in that I can't tell who the dark side and who the light side teams are - which isn't a problem in LOTRO, EQ (race war), Warcraft or Warhammer games, and isn't ever a problem while watching Star Wars movies.

• wgc01wgc01 Member UncommonPosts: 241

Originally posted by zaylin

Looks fun

Yep number one reason I play any game, and I don't  see those words used enough, seems like so many people get into picking things apart to a point the ruin thier own fun, I guess fun is different for different people, but I agree, looks fun..:)

• Sarge69Sarge69 Member Posts: 16

I thought if they were going to go deep into PvP pretty much for the first time, they should have shown videos, more images, more writing and details! They need to market it better. :)

• slprslpr Member Posts: 340

There is a video on the official website, screenshots and some details. Warzones are intanced zones, you have a queue system that transports you from the place you are into a "mothership". Then you will be transported by a drop ship into the warzone and from there you have speeders on board that get you to the ground. This works for both factions!

Warzones will have different objectives, in alderaan the objective is to control planetary defenses. In this case a huge cannon that can blast ships from out of space in no time!

To gain control of that cannon, players must first control anti-aircraft artillery aka turrets (3 of them) in order to destroy the opposite faction drop ships and that way have access to the cannon that will destroy your "mothership".

There are other details that were not revealed, but at least we already know that the 2nd warzone will take place at a derelict starship.If you want to know about class skills go to swtor-station.com, they have those there, even if they are alpha and subject to change.

Almost forgot, there is going to be a match making system, we don't know details about this yet, but at least i can think that the matches are going to be fair in skill level.

As you can see there is alot of information on the internet, not in this website unfortunattelly.

• heartlessheartless Member UncommonPosts: 4,993

After watching that video and seeing the players stand there whacking at each other with lightsabers, I have to pass on this one. Ultima Online, a game released in 1997, had a much more involved combat.

At least we have story and voiceovers, right?

• mmogawdmmogawd Member Posts: 732

Originally posted by heartless

After watching that video and seeing the players stand there whacking at each other with lightsabers, I have to pass on this one. Ultima Online, a game released in 1997, had a much more involved combat.

At least we have story and voiceovers, right?

haven't you already passed on this one?  are we supposed to care each and every time you find another excuse to pass on a game you've already passed on?

• whilanwhilan Member UncommonPosts: 3,472

I think at least we can all agree there is PVP and crafting, whether it's good or bad or not, it is there. So they are delivering on some of these things they were only talking about before.  Holds a good sign for things to come i suppose, like group based content and endgame.

in my own words their lines: story is our main idea, but of course it will have all the workings of a normal MMO that we all enjoyed, PVP, crafting, group based content, solo based content, raids, big worlds to explore.

Now we have PVP and crafting, i think all they gotta show is some normal game play footage with people fighting mobs and walking about big worlds solo and in groups and it will cover basically everything they've been saying up to this point and things people have been asking for to see.  I see that coming up within maybe the next 2 or 3 months? Can't wait to see it, err again

Help me Bioware, you're my only hope.

Is ToR going to be good? Dude it's Bioware making a freaking star wars game, all signs point to awesome. -G4tv MMo report.