Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Mortal Online: Survivor Guy: Mortal Online Edition

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129

In his latest Survivor Guy installment, MMORPG.com's Adam Tingle takes a look at Mortal Online. Mortal Online is one of those game styled along the lines of Ultima Online and Adam found a lot to like and to be wary of in his sojourn in Mortal Online. Check out Adam's thoughts about Mortal Online and then add yours to the mix on the forums.

There is sweat on my brow and blood on my hands. Behind me are the unmistakable sounds of horse’s hooves and the angry patter of running-feet. An arrow whizzes past my left cheek and shatters into a tree trunk. I am not running quick enough; my stamina is running low and my combatants know this. My pace stalls, breathless and aching from pursuit I slowly but surely come to a fearful halt. Before you could say ‘retribution’ my head is parted from my neck and three fellows are digging into what remains of my corpse. Apparently in Mortal Online a posse of angry players will form if you spend the majority of your time murdering and stealing things. Who knew?

Read more Survivor: Mortal Online Edition.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• ArquitetoArquiteto Member Posts: 228

Great Read! Can't wait for the next installment. 

• causscauss Member UncommonPosts: 666

Hm, you make it sound like it's a nice game, lol.

• LOL I love this guy's writing style and sense of humor.  Keep'm coming! 

• Rockgod99Rockgod99 Member Posts: 4,640
    MO is F2p?!?

Playing: Rift, LotRO
    Waiting on: GW2, BP

• orator1970orator1970 Member UncommonPosts: 112

I loved your article very funny and entertaining, waiting the next.

• shakermaker0shakermaker0 Member UncommonPosts: 194

The F2P is a mistake, I guess it's because I did do a F2P Survivor Guy, I'll try and get mods to edit.

• mCalvertmCalvert Member CommonPosts: 1,283

If only playing MO were as fun as reading about it.

• xBludxxBludx Member Posts: 376

Originally posted by mCalvert

If only playing MO were as fun as reading about it.

True from my experience. This is a good read. I guess we don't talk about technical issues here?

• Slapshot1188Slapshot1188 Member LegendaryPosts: 16,985

Sorry but not mentioning the overwhelming majority of flaws gives people a false impression about the game.  As does stating it's F2P... very disengenuous.

All time classic  MY NEW FAVORITE POST!  (Keep laying those bricks)

"I should point out that no other company has shipped out a beta on a disc before this." - Official Mortal Online Lead Community Moderator

Proudly wearing the Harbinger badge since Dec 23, 2017. 

Coined the phrase "Role-Playing a Development Team" January 2018

"Oddly Slap is the main reason I stay in these forums." - Mystichaze April 9th 2018

• shakermaker0shakermaker0 Member UncommonPosts: 194

As stated the F2P is a mistake. This series is a run up to a full review of the game by myself. I am trying to stay away from talking about bugs for the survivor series as general rule of thumb until I meet one that truly breaks my expierence. We all know that MO is almost in closed-beta status so trust me in the review I will mention the bugs etc. and this series is a detail of my in-game exploits rather than critique.

Originally posted by shakermaker0

As stated the F2P is a mistake. This series is a run up to a full review of the game by myself. I am trying to stay away from talking about bugs for the survivor series as general rule of thumb until I meet one that truly breaks my expierence. We all know that MO is almost in closed-beta status so trust me in the review I will mention the bugs etc. and this series is a detail of my in-game exploits rather than critique.

Making the assumption that the reader knows "that MO is almost in closed-beta status" is a very disengenuous idea.  The game released 5 months ago.  Any reader that has not followed the game but just read your article would get a very false impression of the game.  It's dishonest.    You should at the very LEAST put a statement in at the top of the article explaining the state of the game.

"I should point out that no other company has shipped out a beta on a disc before this." - Official Mortal Online Lead Community Moderator

"Oddly Slap is the main reason I stay in these forums." - Mystichaze April 9th 2018

• DistopiaDistopia Member EpicPosts: 21,183

Originally posted by Slapshot1188

Making the assumption that the reader knows "that MO is almost in closed-beta status" is a very disengenuous idea.  The game released 5 months ago.  Any reader that has not followed the game but just read your article would get a very false impression of the game.  It's dishonest.    You should at the very LEAST put a statement in at the top of the article explaining the state of the game.

Did you read that part? Jeez lighten up a bit, the article was hilarious the only thing disengenuous here is your usage of the word. This isn't a review, there's no need for a disclaimer.

For every minute you are angry , you lose 60 seconds of happiness."-Emerson

• mckimminsmckimmins Member UncommonPosts: 51

Great read! The survivor guy articles are always some of the best here. I am really looking forward to reading the other parts and his review of it at the end. 

Originally posted by Malickie

Did you read that part? Jeez lighten up a bit, the article was hilarious the only thing disengenuous here is your usage of the word. This isn't a review, there's no need for a disclaimer.

I did... perhaps that should go in the introduction instead of this: Check out Adam's thoughts about Mortal Online...

He is writing this article as a new player to Mortal Online. Why would he talk about the bugs before he ran into any. What he is doing makes perfect sense and is completely fair.

What you want him to do is give a vets experience or opinions of the game before he starts his NEW PLAYER experience.

• Not mentioning this game is one of the worst, most buggy games ever released IMO and as every place willing to review this disaster gives a low score for the obvious reasons...very fishy.

Originally posted by Arquiteto

He is writing this article as a new player to Mortal Online. Why would he talk about the bugs before he ran into any. What he is doing makes perfect sense and is completely fair.

What you want him to do is give a vets experience or opinions of the game before he starts his NEW PLAYER experience.

That's just IT my friend... that is NOT the "NEW PLAYER" experience. He states that "We all know that MO is almost closed-beta status"... but this is untrue.  If someone doesn't follow the game they would NOT know that.  Why would they even expect that in a game that's 5 months old?   I wouldn't have a problem if that line was included in the priginal article...

Originally posted by Arquiteto

That's just IT my friend... that is NOT the "NEW PLAYER" experience. He states that "We all know that MO is almost closed-beta status"... but this is untrue.  If someone doesn't follow the game they would NOT know that.  Why would they even expect that in a game that's 5 months old?   I wouldn't have a problem if that line was included in the priginal article...

Yes he realizes the game is buggy and stated that he would mention any of those bugs that effect his gameplay. His closed beta statement is from experience and if included in this article would ruin a true New player experience.

• TyserieTyserie Member UncommonPosts: 155

This game has big potencial. But, at present there is nothing to do if  you arent hard PvPfan. All pictures or videos which you will fidn are just static scenes or pvp. There is absolutely missing any PvE. There are no quests, what can be good because you will not do any grind, BUT, there is absolutely nothing what can replace the missing quests. They are calling it sandbox and maybe it is, but if you dont want to fight from dawn to dusk with the rest of players, you will be very very bored after some time in MO. I tried to focus my self on craft and making of money, but I was still killed be someone, raped :) and all my stuff were stolen ( yes I am very poor pvper, I have no chance to beat down other players with my poor style, but I really have no fun from pvp so maybe this is the reason) and because there is full loot system(totaly) and players can kill you everywhere exclude the cities, you will be very angry and sad after few days of such sytuations. 

But I agree that for PvPers this game has to be  heaven.

• HeretiqueHeretique Member RarePosts: 1,535

Good read.

• NephaeriusNephaerius Member UncommonPosts: 1,671

Great article and thoroughly entertaining.  While I understand your reasoning for not mentioning bugs you do make the game sound a whole heck of a lot better than it actually is. 

Steam: Neph

• NephaeriusNephaerius Member UncommonPosts: 1,671

Originally posted by realAngarato

fun read. too anyone interested in this game I suggest to put slapshot rlmcoy and herculesas on your ignore list. these 3 "people" have made it their life's work to trash this game every chance they get in every topic they can get their hands on. now alot of people know that MO isnt perfect. it has lots of flaws and its struggling im not a blatant fanboy ive even considered unsubbing(again) cause of certain issues. but its a nice break from all the boring wow clones and it gives a very unique experience.

Yeah I also find it fun to hop onto a totally broken game for the unique experience and then realize I should have just kept playing a game that works.

Steam: Neph

• DiekfooDiekfoo Member Posts: 583

MO is a very unique MMO with that old hard core feeling. I love MO even thou it still got some bugs. But it's slowly shaping up. Lots of potential.

• PapamacPapamac Member UncommonPosts: 162

I have to agree with Slapshot and the few others:  While the article itself is well-written and fun to read, it mis-represents the state of the game.  Any reader who isn't intimately familiar with the game and its problems is going to be misled.

Frankly, it smacks of a paid advertisment.

• QericQeric Member Posts: 1

And i myself just have to agreed. Yes the game has alot of buggs but still one of the main problems in mortal right now is the lack of players and i dont think the game will get more players by you sitting here complaining about it when you obviously find the game to hard of you.