Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

will there ever be a WoW killer mmo?

ZierrityZierrity Member UncommonPosts: 242

so this is basicly my taughts on the called wow killer.

Lately I've read a bunch of threads about the famous wow killer title and wihich game it's gonna be, so I thought a lot about it and here is what I think.

next year will be a good year for the mmo player community, we'll (most likely) gonna get our hands on games we've been waiting for a long time, Guildwars2, SWTOR, TERA, RIFT, Blade&Soul, etc...

but will one of these games be the wow killer? thats the million dollar question, isnt it?:P

I, for one, say no, neither of these games will be the one who kills WoW, they seem to be VERY good games, they really do, but I really do not think that one of them will be titled the WoW killer.

BUT, here is what I think might kill wow (eventually). If you think of World of warcraft like a dot in the middle of a paper, then we draw a big circle around the dot, which represents the community (subscribers). Then we add 5 dots around the circle which represents the games listed above. these games will also, most likely, get a big community, and the circles around these games will then overlap the circle around WoW... damn, I suck at axplaining this:P

here I made an illustration to show you what I mean;

(the circles around the different logoes is random size btw, I dont know anything about how big each game's community is going to be)

but anyways, as you see the circles around each logo overlaps the circle around the WoW logo, in other words, the community or subscriber base of each game is going to "snatch" more or less people from the wow community, and I think thats how the end of WoW is going to start, newer game's community feed out of wow's community and eventually all these mmo'scommunity will grow, and by this, the subscriber base of WoW will slowly get smaller.

But will this alone be able to kill WoW? I dont think so... As many have said before me,WoW will eventually kill itself. I think this might be the beginning, but in the end, Blizzard themself will get the "killing blow", maybe they'll panic and release a so called "miracle" patch in hope to get the players back, that will change WoW so much that it's no longer the game people love now, and the remaining subscribers will slowly drain away to try something new. But as I said, I dont know, this is just a speculation... but this is what I think will kill WoW.

And thank you if you actually read through all this, I appologies for all the typo's, Im a Norwegian who had a bit too little english in highschool:P but I just wanted to share my thoughts about this :)

feel free to comment or tell me what you think might kill WoW or why WoW will never die :)

thanks for your time.

Comments

• Benj4minBenj4min Member Posts: 23

I dont personly play WOW but im pretty sure the subscribers will leave it to play another game. They might play that game but if they pay for something (wow) I dont know if they will leave it though.

However these games will take over WOW....

Atleast I think SWTOR will as its identicle but with one added thing......LIGHTSABERS

By the way nice diagram lol :)

• NeikenNeiken Member Posts: 254

Thinking anything will "Kill" WoW is a flawed way to think. What MMORPG did wow kill? Everquest? No, thats still going today.

WoW wont be forced to shut its service down because of another mmo. At the most we'd see server merging and servers being shut down. But i say they will never get below 15 servers in the future. And by future i mean waaaaay into the future.

Can WoW be dethroned? Certaintly. But this idea that another MMO service is going to come around and smite the "almighty" wow is a childish one.

• VooDoo_PapaVooDoo_Papa Member UncommonPosts: 897

Considering that not even WoW killed any of its predacessors, not very likely.

• drake_hounddrake_hound Member Posts: 773

Ok after examining wow community intensely , no nothing will KILL WOW but blizzard themself .

They got one heck of addicted crazy community where makebelief is more realistic then hard cold facts of life .

1 WoW cannot be killed no matter what they do

Sorry you are not important to them , how noble or just you are , people playing wow dont want reality .

They play it as entertainment at expense of others , as long there is entertainement at the expense of others.

They wont quit .

2 WoW doesn´t require you to do team up aside from raids ,  so most time people paid subscribing is played anyway they want .

So when teaming up comes , they have no discipline or time , and its easy for people to join a guild under false pretense and leave or transfer whatever they want .

Blizzard says as long there is money in the bank , who cares ?

3 Sorry guilds leaders and community or supportive people are getting tired , even that doesn´t matter to them .

For every guild that dies , another 19 year old takes over and makes a flop , good guilds are harder to find .

But still tons of guilds so its a vicious circle .

4 got bad reputation on one server , pay uncle blizzard and start again on another .

See end deal is , wow is the perfect mirror of real life , money talks bullshit walks .

And people love it that way .

5 even if all the west plays something else , they still got the east , those are much more loyal to a product !!

So end deal is doesn´t matter what you or I think of the product , we are redundant .

• SHOE788SHOE788 Member Posts: 700

Originally posted by drake_hound

Ok after examining wow community intensely , no nothing will KILL WOW but blizzard themself .

They got one heck of addicted crazy community where makebelief is more realistic then hard cold facts of life .

1 WoW cannot be killed no matter what they do

Sorry you are not important to them , how noble or just you are , people playing wow dont want reality .

They play it as entertainment at expense of others , as long there is entertainement at the expense of others.

They wont quit .

2 WoW doesn´t require you to do team up aside from raids ,  so most time people paid subscribing is played anyway they want .

So when teaming up comes , they have no discipline or time , and its easy for people to join a guild under false pretense and leave or transfer whatever they want .

Blizzard says as long there is money in the bank , who cares ?

3 Sorry guilds leaders and community or supportive people are getting tired , even that doesn´t matter to them .

For every guild that dies , another 19 year old takes over and makes a flop , good guilds are harder to find .

But still tons of guilds so its a vicious circle .

4 got bad reputation on one server , pay uncle blizzard and start again on another .

See end deal is , wow is the perfect mirror of real life , money talks bullshit walks .

And people love it that way .

5 even if all the west plays something else , they still got the east , those are much more loyal to a product !!

So end deal is doesn´t matter what you or I think of the product , we are redundant .

hide yo kids, hide yo wife and hide yo husband, cuz WoW's rapun evrun out here.”

• drake_hounddrake_hound Member Posts: 773

Originally posted by SHOE788

hide yo kids, hide yo wife and hide yo husband, cuz WoW's rapun evrun out here.”

See point proven  , how funny :)

• BeansnBreadBeansnBread Member EpicPosts: 7,254

Replace the 5 games in your graph with any or all of the following games:

AoC

Vanguard

WAR

Aion

LotRO

Guild Wars

Final Fantasy XIV

Just keep adding games that people thought would kill WoW to the list until there are 20 games.

Now realize that WoW subs have gone up since all of those games came out. There will never be a WoW killer and apparently there is hardly even a tiny effect from these games. The 5 games on your graph will once again fail at what people claim they will do just like they have always failed at it before. (Which I think you were getting at towards the end).

Even if all 5 games came out at once, 6 months later WoW would look down at their puny existence from their god-cloud and begin to slowly laugh a deep, guttural laugh that mocks all those below it's apparent magnificence.

• PTEDPTED Member Posts: 464

Forever is a long time. Yes.