Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Anyone else bouncing around?

Karnage69Karnage69 Member UncommonPosts: 323

As the topic suggests...

I seem to be having an issue finding a game that I actually enjoy and want to play longer than just a few days.

I am constantly buying/downloading the latest and newest mmo. Be it a p2p or f2p. Makes no difference to me. I am just looking for something that will hold my interest. I played EQ1 for about 3 years. DAOC for about 1 year. WoW for about 2 years. A multitude of other games for a few months.. and now... nothing longer than a few weeks at best.

I seem to be bouncing around, game to game, coming back to old ones to see what has changed. Then a few days later I find another game or go back to a different game.

Anyone else doing this or am I losing my mind?

Comments

• Originally posted by Karnage69

As the topic suggests...

I seem to be having an issue finding a game that I actually enjoy and want to play longer than just a few days.

I am constantly buying/downloading the latest and newest mmo. Be it a p2p or f2p. Makes no difference to me. I am just looking for something that will hold my interest. I played EQ1 for about 3 years. DAOC for about 1 year. WoW for about 2 years. A multitude of other games for a few months.. and now... nothing longer than a few weeks at best.

I seem to be bouncing around, game to game, coming back to old ones to see what has changed. Then a few days later I find another game or go back to a different game.

Don't worry you're not alone, me and like 60% of this community is in the situation.

• JetrpgJetrpg Member UncommonPosts: 2,347

Well no one is makign good mmos so no. That and no oen want to play the same game over and over. I played uo. eq for a few months, was goign to play ff11 but picked up DAOC the week it came out with the guild that planned on going to ff11 and man did i  get lucky there played it for 5 + years, played other games during that time. Played wow for a few years, played every mmo during the wow period. And well thats where i have been at. Oh played SWG for a while till it hit nge (was like r u joking?).

CoX for a while (off and on honestly the pve in that game so so dull same fights over and over.) played PS alot that was fun. More so in it earily days with tons of people everywhere.

But yeah now i beta, try every mmo but they all bad. But 2011 looks lieka  CRAZY YEAR FOR MMOs.  Like tera, gw2, rift?, and others shoudl fine one ok game .... plz.

"Society in every state is a blessing, but government even in its best state is but a necessary evil; in its worst state an intolerable one ..." - Thomas Paine

• No, you aren't alone. I thought FFXIV would finally be "my" game, but it wasn't. Right  now, I really have no clue what I should play.

• Joseph_KerrJoseph_Kerr Member RarePosts: 1,113

maybe you should pick a up a single player game for the time being, I just picked up New Vegas and im having a lot of fun with that. I also play LotRO sometimes and every now and then i'll resub to Mortal Online to see whats new and if its worth playing. Im waiting for TERA though.

• gaeanprayergaeanprayer Member UncommonPosts: 2,341

Wow I was just sitting here thinking the exact same thing. I have like...nothing to do. Guild Wars held me until I got 30 points in HoM for max rewards, so now that bugger's shelved. I've bounced around literally every f2p game out there and most of the p2p ones and nothing has really held my interest long except CoH (which after 7 level 50's, just isn't doing it anymore) and Ragnarok Online which is BEYOND showing it's age.

There's literally nothing available I want to play. And on my day off, too :(

Might be time to check out the console bargain bin at Gamestop.

"Forums aren't for intelligent discussion; they're for blow-hards with unwavering opinions."

• NephaeriusNephaerius Member UncommonPosts: 1,671

I too have recently fall into the bouncing around trap as I find no MMO at this point in time to be truly satisfying in the long term.  Personally, I have my hopes up for Rift and GW2, but maybe the MMO genre isn't for me anymore (I certainly hope this is not the case).  I simply feel a mismatch between what I am looking for and what is being released at the moment (here's hoping that the design changes promised by upcoming titles are truly satisfying). 

Anyway, in the mean time as others have suggested I've been tooling around with a variety of single player games as well as a plethora of F2P games.  Personally, the one game that's keeping me occupied lately is Monday Night Combat on my 360 (It's only available through X-Box Live Arcade).  This title really came out of nowhere for me.  The studio behind it is about 15 people (less actually working on the game itself) and is extremely original.  It's like TF2 and DotA combined.  A class based, third person, shooter combined with tower defense.  While I'm sure it's not for everyone, my friends and my self can't get enough.  There are already 3 DLCs planned (the game just came out in August) and the first one is free and comes out this month.  For $15 it's well worth the price.

You can check out the game at http://uberent.com

Steam: Neph

• SoludeSolude Member UncommonPosts: 691

Think thats par for the course for anyone who's been around since the UO/EQ/AC days.  Even games I'm not capped in get old now.  I like VG but unless my guild is doing something I just have no drive to advance.  Same for pretty much every MMO on my shelf.  Either a sense of been there done that or just not fun enough to keep playing.  I play CoX still because its the only MMO my wife will touch and...

Also back to Aion since 2.0 since I quit so fast last time that everything after the tutorial is fresh :p  Also loving the changes in WoW for Cata.  On the fence on whether to play one more time in  vanilla before it goes boom or just wait until next year when the world will feel as new as the classes do now.

• ChannceChannce Member CommonPosts: 570

I'm always on the lookout for the next breakout game, but for now I'm at two MMO's, DAoC which I have been a steady player for 7 years now and Atlantica Online which I started about two years ago now I guess.

I think I have finally come to the realization that I wont ever have the omg, this rocks! as I did with my first MMO (DAoC)

When I said i had "time", i meant virtual time, i got no RL "time" for you.

• Benj4minBenj4min Member Posts: 23

Im the same, always downloading the new stuff only to uninstall it and re-download it (BLAH BLAH BLAH)

I find that for me the best games are ones with a nice community and good storyline, I like the exp rate medium as well.

Have you tried AQWorlds or Lord of the rings online ( that has just gone f2p).

If you like shooters download Battlefield Heroes.... Thats a fun game!

• Karnage69Karnage69 Member UncommonPosts: 323

Originally posted by Benj4min

Im the same, always downloading the new stuff only to uninstall it and re-download it (BLAH BLAH BLAH)

I find that for me the best games are ones with a nice community and good storyline, I like the exp rate medium as well.

Have you tried AQWorlds or Lord of the rings online ( that has just gone f2p).

If you like shooters download Battlefield Heroes.... Thats a fun game!

Thanks for your suggestions, but I have played both. AQWorlds just doesn't fit me and LOTRO have no classes that I enjoy. I have played all the classes up to about lvl 20 or 30 and nothing fits. It's a very dull game to me (I stress, TO ME) because of the lackluster class builds.

I was serious when I said I have tried just about every game out there. I would like to think that I am not overly picky, but I find flaws in almost every game OR they are boring and I lose interest.

• NeikenNeiken Member Posts: 254

I always bounce around then end up back at WoW. Usually reluctantly. This time around im gonna play Cata to see what they did with the zones. Ill probably hit 85 on 3 characters, then pvp untill the next line of mmos come around. Nothing else seems to keep my intrest right now.

Thank god they redid the old zones. And I havent seen any WOLTK stuff cause i stopped playing wow afew months before it launched. From what i hear i didnt miss a whole lot.

If it wasnt for that, i probably would just be playing Modern Warfare 2 and Black ops when it launches while waiting for the next round.

• Harleking89Harleking89 Member Posts: 68

Originally posted by Neiken

I always bounce around then end up back at WoW. Usually reluctantly. This time around im gonna play Cata to see what they did with the zones. Ill probably hit 85 on 3 characters, then pvp untill the next line of mmos come around. Nothing else seems to keep my intrest right now.

Thank god they redid the old zones. And I havent seen any WOLTK stuff cause i stopped playing wow afew months before it launched. From what i hear i didnt miss a whole lot.

If it wasnt for that, i probably would just be playing Modern Warfare 2 and Black ops when it launches while waiting for the next round.

Yea, you didn't miss anything with WotLK honestly. Cata might be fun to play since they remade the vanilla zones. Basically the 1-60 experience is new, and that could be good. I'm gonna play it mainly for that reason anyway. And yea, soon there's Black Ops, which could also be quite fun... Though personally I'm hoping it'll feel more like MW1 rather than MW2, but probably won't

All it takes is one bad day.

• kirak2009kirak2009 Member UncommonPosts: 543

i am in exactly the same boat,  nothing out there i am interested in,  have tried almost everything f2p/p2p,  resubbed  to games and nothing holds my interest.  Currently re-subbed  to WOW/EVE and FE  and couldn't be bothered  to log into  any of them.

sadly  i am  having more fun with little big planet than any MMO  out there these days

"All expectation leads to suffering" Buhhda

• sharpshadesharpshade Member UncommonPosts: 58

Well I'll jump in your boat as well. I was experiencing the same exact thing, desperately searching for something fresh, something that I could invest in and be happy playing for a long time. Unfortunately, the games I'm most interested in playing won't be coming out until sometime next year. DCUO, GW2 and SWTOR are the main 3 I plan on pre-ordering and since GW2 has no monthly fee, I'm hoping that out of those 3, I'll invest in 2 of them and those will be the ones I play for years to come.

So the dilema is... what do I do now?! Especially with the news that DCUO got delayed when it would have been out today. Well I took alot of people's advice and went to a familiar single player game (Sims 3) and it just released a new expansion and it's actually fun enough to hopefully keep me occupied until I can get my hands on the games I want next year. Also, I have found that Wizards 101 is a blast even if it's got a child like feel to it and since it's free, I play it from time to time as well.

Ultimately, it seems alot of gamers (unless you're a die hard WoW fan and Cataclysm is right around the corner) are in the same boat looking for something new and fresh to play. Unfortunately it looks like most of us are going to have to wait until next year. The most common advice I was given was to pick up some old single player games and it's actually very good advice. Monthly fee's and the price of games can be costly if you're randomly experimenting and right now, there's nothing out there worth it in my opinion. So I'll support the "find a single player game" advice at least for the next couple months.  =)

• ObiganObigan Member Posts: 68

Man, iv been doing this... somewhat before Aion came out. I was hopin Aion will do it. but  nope..  then was waiting for APB.. but nope.  Its been so long  I cant remember when I started drifting in this annoying state.

I'm really looking forward for the 2011 games. I was seriously hoping FFXIV would hold me for a while. but there is nothing 2 do there at all, except leveling up. So my  last hope is blown out the window.

I went through every p2p and good f2p  out there,   just nothing to hold me.  everytime it feels like iv done that, been there.

I think iv been in the mmorpg genre for so long,  it no longer holds my interest.  Until some game comes out with new ideas. and a new experience. I think thats the only thing that will hold  our attention us long runnin mmo players.

now i just been beating single player games.. alot of them came out this month.  I still have to finish Vanquish, Enslaved, Castlevania. and I still didnt even touch my god of war 3 and  i bought it since release,  plus trying to finish Assassin's Creed 2 again, since I forgot the story, preparing for  Brotherhood.    Next week gona be Black Ops. that usually keeps me busy for sometime also.   I think i'll be fine until January at this rate. 

• elockeelocke Member UncommonPosts: 4,335

Been doing it since Wrath of the Lich King content got old. So about a year to 2 years now hehe. Although, every now and then I'll find a game I can settle into for a few months at least. Lotro and FE to name 2 of them. The hard part is waiting on the games I really want to play, Rift, TOR, and GW2. Once those come out I'll be content for a long while.

• gauge2k3gauge2k3 Member Posts: 442

I was bouncing, then I found EvE.  The bouncing has stopped.  That is all.

• KanesterKanester Member UncommonPosts: 375

Ive been bouncing around old games for the last 5 months. I think the next big good MMO that is relesed will go through the roof in subs because of the amount of people all looking for a good or new MMO. Tera, Rift, SWTOR, GW2, the 1st one relesed will be huge. :)

• keithiankeithian Member UncommonPosts: 3,191

Originally posted by Harleking89

Yea, you didn't miss anything with WotLK honestly. Cata might be fun to play since they remade the vanilla zones. Basically the 1-60 experience is new, and that could be good. I'm gonna play it mainly for that reason anyway.

I think both of you are going to be disappointed if you are thinking that 1-60 is going to be completely new. Here is what I read in the WOW forum for someone in beta answering questions in one thread:

Originally posted by Zeppelin4

This may seem crazy to most but I'm more interested in the 1-60 content. Did they scale the mobs in outdoor pve to match all the changes that have been put in over the years to make combat more of a challenge? Did they bring back a lot of the elite mobs? Any solo and or group elite quest challenges?  The end game in Wow just bores me to death anymore so the 1-60 content is what would bring me back. I know I'm strange.

10-58 is pretty much the exact same with map changes and some new quests. Granted you have better graphics, more of the WotLK-style lore quests, but largely still the same hubs and quests.

There Is Always Hope!

• BenthonBenthon Member Posts: 2,069

I was bouncing a lot too. Then I found Minecraft. Haven't been bouncing for about 3 weeks now, so far so good.

He who keeps his cool best wins.

• elockeelocke Member UncommonPosts: 4,335

Originally posted by keithianw

Originally posted by Harleking89

Yea, you didn't miss anything with WotLK honestly. Cata might be fun to play since they remade the vanilla zones. Basically the 1-60 experience is new, and that could be good. I'm gonna play it mainly for that reason anyway.
    I think both of you are going to be disappointed if you are thinking that 1-60 is going to be completely new. Here is what I read in the WOW forum for someone in beta answering questions in one thread:

Originally posted by Zeppelin4
    This may seem crazy to most but I'm more interested in the 1-60 content. Did they scale the mobs in outdoor pve to match all the changes that have been put in over the years to make combat more of a challenge? Did they bring back a lot of the elite mobs? Any solo and or group elite quest challenges?  The end game in Wow just bores me to death anymore so the 1-60 content is what would bring me back. I know I'm strange.

10-58 is pretty much the exact same with map changes and some new quests. Granted you have better graphics, more of the WotLK-style lore quests, but largely still the same hubs and quests.

You are talking about 2 different things. Challenge is one. Quests and quest layout is the other. Cata is going to change the quest and quest layout which is what I frigging want to make the 1-60 leveling process fun again. It's boring and hold hat because I've seen it all up to now. 3000 quests have been changed, that's a TON. I'm glad there aren't elite mobs and such through the leveling process, all they do is slow me down when I just want to quest. Leave the elites for endgame.

• CorruptedCorrupted Member Posts: 310

I've been bouncing for over a year until last month when Vindictus arrived. Only game that has held my interest in awhile. Before that it was all these little F2P games from PWE, Aion, LOTRO, FFXIV, AoC, some from non-popular developers, etc. and lots of Call of Duty.

• JetrpgJetrpg Member UncommonPosts: 2,347

Originally posted by Channce

I'm always on the lookout for the next breakout game, but for now I'm at two MMO's, DAoC which I have been a steady player for 7 years now and Atlantica Online which I started about two years ago now I guess.

I think I have finally come to the realization that I wont ever have the omg, this rocks! as I did with my first MMO (DAoC)

Well you were unlucky my friend my first mmo was uo and b4 that mudds (after it for a while also ). But ill tell you think when i played daoc it was somethign freakign amazing. That game was the best mmo to date (dataed now but i still argue on a game wise [not population] that it remaines one of the better mmos out there). I doubt you'll ever find a mmo that you feel = what daoc was.

Gw2 may capture a small fraction of its pvp in the three way server pvp set-up and i hope thats enough to keep me happy for a while.

"Society in every state is a blessing, but government even in its best state is but a necessary evil; in its worst state an intolerable one ..." - Thomas Paine

• Moaky07Moaky07 Member Posts: 2,096

Originally posted by Karnage69

As the topic suggests...

I quit playing MMOs in 06. Intend to play TOR, but for last several yrs I have been console gaming with my 360.

EQ was my favorite game as well in MMO form, and you can find similar adventures in what is deemed "sandbox" for console games. Oblivion, Read Dead Redemption, Fallout 3, and Fallout Vegas are all titles that are a bit like EQ play....that would be an openworld themepark experience.

If you wanna stick to MMOs, I would suggest trying out EQ2, LoTRO, and DDO as they are all former themepark PTP games, and they have gone with a FTP model. Wont cost ya anything if ya dont like them.

Another reason I like console is the fact most games have a demo to try out before ya buy.

Anyways good luck with it.

Asking Devs to make AAA sandbox titles is like trying to get fine dining on a McDonalds dollar menu budget.

• SgtFrogSgtFrog Member Posts: 5,001

I was a bouncer till I started playing LoTRO a year ago.

March on! - Lets Invade Pekopon