Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Something that disturbed me in GW2!

2»

Comments

• Sive0nSive0n Member UncommonPosts: 28

My point here is not to troll or anything, it's just a personal concern and some didn't seam to be getting the point so i will try to explain a bit better.

Point 1

I'm NOT saying that shortbow+pet wont be an effective combo, i just felt disappointed when i read what the Lead Designer said because coming from a game where having a pet was a hardly used commodity, where the Ranger class alone(no mixes) had 1 primary attribute expertise and 3 possible playstyles Marksmanship, Wilderness Survival and Beastmastery, we had a choice and in the overall game beastmastery was the least used/liked even though it was a viable option, but in GW2 instead of making the main mechanic something to suit several play styles they just forced us to be have a pet, and if we're not using a pet Point 2 happens.

Point 2

I'm NOT saying that Warriors will be Over Powered, it's just that IF a ranger would prefer different playstyle from what is being forced upon us, lets say i would prefer to be on the back with a longbow and few rituals, it wouldn't be as effective as a warrior doing it(and this was clear in the interview) and THAT for me is unfair since i feel that ranger should be better then any other class with either of the bows.

Hope it cleared my point a bit more.

• meleemadnessmeleemadness Member Posts: 592

OP you are using YOUR definition of a Ranger and FORCING it into this game.  GW2 has THEIR definition of a Ranger and it is NOT what your definition is!!!!

Ranger IS a pet class that can use ranged or melee to augment its damage.  It is that simple.  PET class, PET class, say after me, PET class.

I bet there is a ranged class and I bet it uses crossbows and guns or some combination of ranged weapons.  It will probably be some sort of engineer or who knows.  But what we do know is a Ranger IS a PET class....not Ranged DPS.

Once you accept the definition of GW2 Ranger, you might realize it is not the class for you.  THere are still 4 more classes to be revealed.  Again, I am sure one is a physical damage based Ranged DPS.

Regardless of what is what, I see more potential for this as it allows my wife to play a WOW type Hunter and it allows me to play a EQ type Beastlord...although I will probably roll a warrior and use a long bow, lol.

• MumboJumboMumboJumbo Member UncommonPosts: 3,219

Originally posted by DeadlyGhost

My point here is not to troll or anything, it's just a personal concern and some didn't seam to be getting the point so i will try to explain a bit better.

Point 1

I'm NOT saying that shortbow+pet wont be an effective combo, i just felt disappointed when i read what the Lead Designer said because coming from a game where having a pet was a hardly used commodity, where the Ranger class alone(no mixes) had 1 primary attribute expertise and 3 possible playstyles Marksmanship, Wilderness Survival and Beastmastery, we had a choice and in the overall game beastmastery was the least used/liked even though it was a viable option, but in GW2 instead of making the main mechanic something to suit several play styles they just forced us to be have a pet, and if we're not using a pet Point 2 happens.

Point 2

I'm NOT saying that Warriors will be Over Powered, it's just that IF a ranger would prefer different playstyle from what is being forced upon us, lets say i would prefer to be on the back with a longbow and few rituals, it wouldn't be as effective as a warrior doing it(and this was clear in the interview) and THAT for me is unfair since i feel that ranger should be better then any other class with either of the bows.

Hope it cleared my point a bit more.

Point 1: Is a new point. Your original statements were along the lines that Warrior > Ranger at range and a pet was a weak substitute. Now you are backing down this statement and just saying you are venting... which is it? It seems like vent because:

GW1 =/= GW2

In fact people can speculate some GW players will have a harder time (albeit moderately) to adapt or get over the idea here.

Point 2:  Is similar to Point 1 in terms of your analysis Warrior > Ranger. Or Ranger is no good because of pet. But you have to understand Ranger GW =/= Ranger GW2 because of the above.

Next, you say ArenaNet forces a playstyle on you...

Here's the official quote from the horse's mouth:

<blockquote>Q: I want to play a ranger without a pet. Are pets mandatory for the profession to be effective? Can you have a non-pet ranger like in GW1 and not sacrifice a lot of your effectiveness?

Eric:  Rangers must use their pets to achieve maximum effectiveness. A ranger could choose to mostly ignore his pet and leave it on “auto-pilot” so to speak and still be very effective, but a ranger who doesn’t even have a pet out will be a good deal less effective than one who does. There are many other professions in Guild Wars 2 that have effective ranged damage or ranged utility like the ranger for players who don’t want to use a pet.

Q: Do pets become “downed” or do they go straight to “defeated?” Do pets have “downed” skills or finishing moves?

Eric: Pets go to a defeated state and don’t have any finishing moves or downed skills. Once downed, you can revive a pet. Pet revives are generally done at melee range, but there are skills you can slot to revive your pet at range. If you are defeated, your pet will pop back to the waypoint with you when you revive.</blockquote>

So your question has been answered and a playstyle is not forced on you.

Unfortunately, there is one downside and that is if you don't like the pet mechanic but do like the naturalist flavor you are in need of a new home, alas, this it may not be catered to. But in terms of gameplay alone, you will be more than fine for ranged options. And even if you bite the bullet, the ranger can still be used with pet use to a minimum and be useful at ranged <> ranger needs more ranged ability.

Hope this helps.

And do take note, that your question was addressed already by ArenaNet and seems to be acceptable to most people's way of thinking at the present time, though there will be room for some to be disappointed, still.

• VolkonVolkon Member UncommonPosts: 3,748

Everyone is wrong accept for me.

There, now that I have your attention, :-)

What's happening in GW2 is professions are being created have different advantages in the new combat system. It's not so cut and dried anymore... ranged dps over there, melee over here, tanks there, healers here. Now, with the damage/control/support model you find that everyone can do some of everything, but different professions do certain things a little better. Look at the warrior, elementalist and ranger for starters.

Warriors - Specialize in the ability to damage and control single targets in melee range. Good at damage and control of multiple targets in melee range, good at damaging multiple targets at range in a limited area. (Limited area = AoE from a central, remote point)

Elementalists - Specialize in the ability to do high damage to multiple targets at range in an expanded, limited area (this includes a cone in front of the caster). Specialize in controlling targets at range in a limited area . Good at damage and control in melee range.

Rangers. Specialize in the ability to damage and control targets at range in a limited, expanded area in addition to being able to control and damage a target in any area (by use of the pet). By this, they can attack effectively an AoE area at range or a conical front area in addition to having their pet damage and control a target in any direction. Good at damaging and controlling single targets in melee range (with an additional target being affected by the pet).

Of course, this breaks down even further as you change weapons, attunements, etc. But untimately you need to consider each profession on what they can do to whom and at what range. How many targets can they effect, and where? How effective are they against what numbers at what ranges? Necromancers have their strengths at range, and control skills that work to keep the enemy at range for example, but you still don't want one sitting on your shoulders.

I guess ultimately we need to think of the roles they have in completely  different terms than we're used to. It's a different style of combat, without set roles or positionings, and when you look at the professions as a whole they will overlap and suppliment each other in ways we really can't imagine until we not only start playing, but have been playing long enough to truly learn all the facets they present us.

TL;DR:  Don't follow bunnies you can't target. It's probably a trap.

Oderint, dum metuant.

• Elox1Elox1 Member Posts: 211

I'd say MumboJumbo summed it up nicely.  At this point with only half the classes revealed it's safe to say Anet is not forcing any playstyle on anyone unless you chose to be a Ranger because of the name of the class.  In which case it is you who is trying to force a playstyle on yourself.

• bazakbazak Member UncommonPosts: 283

Originally posted by Volkon

Everyone is wrong accept for me.

There, now that I have your attention, :-)

What's happening in GW2 is professions are being created have different advantages in the new combat system. It's not so cut and dried anymore... ranged dps over there, melee over here, tanks there, healers here. Now, with the damage/control/support model you find that everyone can do some of everything, but different professions do certain things a little better. Look at the warrior, elementalist and ranger for starters.

Warriors - Specialize in the ability to damage and control single targets in melee range. Good at damage and control of multiple targets in melee range, good at damaging multiple targets at range in a limited area. (Limited area = AoE from a central, remote point)

Elementalists - Specialize in the ability to do high damage to multiple targets at range in an expanded, limited area (this includes a cone in front of the caster). Specialize in controlling targets at range in a limited area . Good at damage and control in melee range.

Rangers. Specialize in the ability to damage and control targets at range in a limited, expanded area in addition to being able to control and damage a target in any area (by use of the pet). By this, they can attack effectively an AoE area at range or a conical front area in addition to having their pet damage and control a target in any direction. Good at damaging and controlling single targets in melee range (with an additional target being affected by the pet).

Of course, this breaks down even further as you change weapons, attunements, etc. But untimately you need to consider each profession on what they can do to whom and at what range. How many targets can they effect, and where? How effective are they against what numbers at what ranges? Necromancers have their strengths at range, and control skills that work to keep the enemy at range for example, but you still don't want one sitting on your shoulders.

I guess ultimately we need to think of the roles they have in completely  different terms than we're used to. It's a different style of combat, without set roles or positionings, and when you look at the professions as a whole they will overlap and suppliment each other in ways we really can't imagine until we not only start playing, but have been playing long enough to truly learn all the facets they present us.

TL;DR:  Don't follow bunnies you can't target. It's probably a trap.

QFT +1 *that was a very painfull experience*

but ya dont worry no set roles realy each class will be different but not in the way were used to them being different from eachother in an MMO