Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Best community?

slingblade9slingblade9 Member Posts: 21

So which game has the best community in general? I'm looking for a good MMO to play after trying several after SWG went down hill way back. A good community, and a good guild is what I think really makes a game.

Comments

• RavZterzRavZterz Member UncommonPosts: 618

Istaria has the best community of any MMO I've played altho its population is also smaller and more mature. 

Make games you want to play.

http://www.youtube.com/user/RavikAztar

• SgtFrogSgtFrog Member Posts: 5,001

LOTRO, just stay out of GLFF.

March on! - Lets Invade Pekopon

• choujiofkonochoujiofkono Member Posts: 852

EQ2 is the best community I've ever played in.  People will help you out when you need it and are much more friendly than in a lot of other games.  The game is pretty good also.  The drawback is that the graphics engine is difficult to get under control. 

For perspective I can say that AoC is the worst I have ever seen and WoW comming in second.  Eve is pretty horrid in my opinion also but they sort of count that as a feature in that game since the goal of it is to rip off other players apparently.  The entire time I played people complained endlessly about each other in several different "guilds". 

"I'm not cheap I'm incredibly subconsciously financially optimized"
    "The worst part of censorship is ------------------"

• Skooma2Skooma2 Member UncommonPosts: 697

I would have to say that LOTRO has the best community, probably because the average LOTRO player seems to be older than the norm for AAA MMOs.  (No, I do not have statistics.  I am basing my opinion on personal experience.)

Hedonismbot: Your latest performance was as delectable as dipping my bottom over and over into a bath of the silkiest oils and creams.

• JimmacJimmac Member UncommonPosts: 1,660

Originally posted by choujiofkono

EQ2 is the best community I've ever played in.  People will help you out when you need it and are much more friendly than in a lot of other games.  The game is pretty good also.  The drawback is that the graphics engine is difficult to get under control. 

For perspective I can say that AoC is the worst I have ever seen and WoW comming in second.  Eve is pretty horrid in my opinion also but they sort of count that as a feature in that game since the goal of it is to rip off other players apparently.  The entire time I played people complained endlessly about each other in several different "guilds". 

I agree about EQ2 having a good community, at least until end game. Then I found a majority of the raiding guilds to be a little too elitist for my tastes and also too informal. I'm sure there are good ones, but I just mean that overall it seemed like there were more rotten ones than not. 

The EQ2 community as a whole though and the end game casual/non raiding guilds are great. 

Also, Eve as a whole might have a ruthless community, but there are definitely some great people who play the game, and if you're lucky, you can even find a whole corp of them (like I did). So it's just a matter of finding those people I guess. 

But yeah, Eve won't be winning any community awards anytime soon. 

In response to OP, I think a niche game will be your best bet for finding a great community...the type of mmorpg's with a small but dedicated player base. Wurm Online, ATITD, Istaria, Ryzom, Haven and Hearth, and even Vendetta Online. All good communities, but mostly all very different otherwise. 

• ShqipShqip Member Posts: 61

LOTRO at the moment, back in the days FFXI was the best community I ever saw.

• Garvon3Garvon3 Member CommonPosts: 2,898

Ultima Online circa 1999, EverQuest and Dark Age of Camelot from 2000-2003

now, I wouldn't really call any community good

The last good community was the one for Middle Earth Online. They were mostly made up of mature folks who enjoyed reading, roleplaying, and stuff of that nature (many older MMOs had demographics like this, but MEO had the added benefit of attracting fans of the book) 

but when the game got changed into Lord of the Rings Online, the majority of the amazing community left, because the game transformed overnight into a simplified theme park quest grinder. 

• DarkcrystalDarkcrystal Member UncommonPosts: 963

fallen earth and back in the day asheron call 1.

• HitechLolifeHitechLolife Member Posts: 210

Sometimes it's the game, sometimes it's the particular server. There's not a lot of opportunities to be an omg grimdark skulls-for-a-hat type of character in lotro, so it has a natural advantage. EQ2 on the otherhand has some horrible communities -it's really dependant on the server. Same with AoC.

I've always wanted to give WoW a fair go but never could find a server who's community didn't make me want to stab something.

Currently Playing: The Game

• travdotytravdoty Member UncommonPosts: 274

If you don't mind me counting how games used to be, EQ1 and SWG communities (in each game's glory days) were both the best that have ever existed in this game. There was no race to get the best gear. There was no sociopathic PKers running around killing everything. People actually played the game to enjoy the game and enjoy playing with other people. People would help others just for fun expecting nothing in return. Nowadays, people always accept payment for every little thing it seems.

/end nostalgic rant

As for games now, I would say stay away from WoW. Not because I'm not particularly fond of the game.... the community just won't be what you're looking for. Right now I'm playing Xsyon, a sandbox game. It's just in beta right now (you can pre-order it to get into beta, and as far as I know you can get a refund if you don't like the game BUT DO NOT QUOTE ME ON THAT BECAUSE I MAY BE WRONG). I won't explain game mechanics to you, you can look that up yourself. The community in this game, while small right now, is very tight knit and people enjoy helping eachother. 

However, if playing a beta with a small number (but great community) of people isn't your cup of tea, just keep your eye on Xsyon for when it comes out as I'm sure it will be much more popular when the time comes. As far as other games go, I'm not sure how great the communities are. 

• junzo316junzo316 Member UncommonPosts: 1,712

Actually, I have 2...

1) CoH - Some of the best people play this game.  Everyone is friendly and helpful.  A great community.

2) LotRO - I have made many friends in my journies thru Middle Earth.  I always see people helping each other in chat. 

• DemenshaDemensha Member UncommonPosts: 76

For me it was SWG in its first 1year of launch. Fun fun fun times

• DismantledDismantled Member UncommonPosts: 121

EVE Online - the diversity of people playing that game means you can find any sort of people you want to fly with that appeals to you. Also that game has the best chat system ive ever seen which makes things a lot easier.

• JetrpgJetrpg Member UncommonPosts: 2,347

DAOC earily in its life and for awhile. Talk about great playign experiences, it felt like i was always fightign with friends .... friends who i had just met.

"Society in every state is a blessing, but government even in its best state is but a necessary evil; in its worst state an intolerable one ..." - Thomas Paine

• megaraxmegarax Member UncommonPosts: 269

EvE Online. Without a doubt.

• ElsaboltsElsabolts Member RarePosts: 3,476

Originally posted by granit1024

EvE Online. Without a doubt.

I might agree with this if and when they would add a Pve Server along with there Item shop.

" Life Liberty and the Pursuit of Those Who  Would Threaten It "
                                            MAGA
  • DrilDril Member Posts: 107

Originally posted by Garvon3

Ultima Online circa 1999, EverQuest and Dark Age of Camelot from 2000-2003

now, I wouldn't really call any community good

The last good community was the one for Middle Earth Online. They were mostly made up of mature folks who enjoyed reading, roleplaying, and stuff of that nature (many older MMOs had demographics like this, but MEO had the added benefit of attracting fans of the book) 

but when the game got changed into Lord of the Rings Online, the majority of the amazing community left, because the game transformed overnight into a simplified theme park quest grinder. 

Here's a hint: no one genuinely cares in this forum. General Discussion for all your stupid crap is a few clicks above in the index.

LOTRO, although they're clueless about other MMOs; Fallen Earth might be good as well, haven't played for a while.

RIFT was a *crushing* disappointment; a shallow, loveless, generic MMO the likes of which hasn't been seen in a P2P format since, well, forever.

Eagerly awaiting: World of Darkness, ArcheAge.

• astoriaastoria Member UncommonPosts: 1,677

Fallen Earth and City of Heroes. Not sure why, but have always been the most helpful and fun.

City of Heroes, fun player run events, everyone will help you with your builds, hell they'll power level you just for the hell of it.

Fallen Earth even in PvP people are friendly - hell, bullets can be expensive - its the apocalypse.

"Never met a pack of humans that were any different. Look at the idiots that get elected every couple of years. You really consider those guys more mature than us? The only difference between us and them is, when they gank some noobs and take their stuff, the noobs actually die." - Madimorga

• maskedweaselmaskedweasel Member LegendaryPosts: 12,180

Apart from SWG pre-nge,  Fallen Earth has the best community I've seen.  Lots of community events, help whenever you need it.  Just an overall great community. 

• NizurNizur Member CommonPosts: 1,417

I'm going to put my vote in for Ryzom, but the community is small. The best community in a larger MMO I've tried is LotRO. I haven't played in over a year though, so I'm not sure how going F2P has changed things.

Current: None
    Played: WoW, CoX, SWG, LotRO, EVE, AoC, VG, CO, Ryzom, DF, WAR
    Tried: Lineage2, Dofus, EQ2, CoS, FE, UO, Wurm, Wakfu
    Future: The Repopulation, ArcheAge, Black Desert, EQN

• MixcoatlMixcoatl Member Posts: 18

Vanguard

• GTwanderGTwander Member UncommonPosts: 6,035

Originally posted by maskedweasel

Apart from SWG pre-nge,  Fallen Earth has the best community I've seen.  Lots of community events, help whenever you need it.  Just an overall great community. 

This is true, SWG was the best there ever was, and FE's is pretty decent.

I have to vouch for Wurm though, it's very tight knit, regardless of which PvP-ruleset server you are on. Oh, and Ryzom. There is an unspoken rule that the less people "in the majority" play, the less idiots/jagoffs you will find.

Writer / Musician / Game Designer

Now Playing: Skyrim, Wurm Online, Tropico 4
    Waiting On: GW2, TSW, Archeage, The Rapture