Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

This game for real?

YamotaYamota Member UncommonPosts: 6,593

Slated to release Q4 2010, which means within 3 months. But the games web-page is made in HTML with some pre-alpha video and the official forum has like 2 posts?

Comments

• PreponerancePreponerance Member Posts: 295

The same company that did 3000AD.  Wonder why, http://www.3000ad.com/about/

• geldonyetichgeldonyetich Member Posts: 1,340

Last I heard, Derek Smart (3000AD Inc is pretty much his baby) was working on Alganon right now, so I'm betting this product is on the back burner right now.

Derek Smart has a reputation of putting out massively ambitious games that are unfortunately hobbled by somewhat obtuse interfaces and bugs.  People who can get over a massive learning curve and learn to cope with the technical glitches find the games quite impressive, although that kind of thick skin for gaming is far outside that of a typical audience.

Galactic Command Online is a very cool concept, basically a 3000AD Inc game with persistant state and massively multiplayer.  However, I can see it as being very difficult to pull off, what with massively multiplayer overhead being what it is.

• dsmartdsmart Member UncommonPosts: 386

Originally posted by geldonyetich

Last I heard, Derek Smart (3000AD Inc is pretty much his baby) was working on Alganon right now, so I'm betting this product is on the back burner right now.

Derek Smart has a reputation of putting out massively ambitious games that are unfortunately hobbled by somewhat obtuse interfaces and bugs.  People who can get over a massive learning curve and learn to cope with the technical glitches find the games quite impressive, although that kind of thick skin for gaming is far outside that of a typical audience.

Galactic Command Online is a very cool concept, basically a 3000AD Inc game with persistant state and massively multiplayer.  However, I can see it as being very difficult to pull off, what with massively multiplayer overhead being what it is.

Actually I'm NOT working on Alganon. My involvement is purely related to running the company, directing the team as well as plotting the course forward for Alganon. I don't do any programming or development work on it at all. The current QOL team that developed Alganon, under my guidance, direction and support, is doing a very find job of that indeed.

As for 3000AD, Inc. we're still very much working on GCO as well as an un-announced game for the iPad and another unannounced MMO project (a F2P fps shooter). So, all three of my teams are fully engaged on these games.

3000AD released two games (All Aspect Warfare & Angle Of Attack) in Summer 2009 and they have both done quite well. Couple that with the games in our long running space/planetary combat series (Universal Combat), our next game is on the way and more news will be available soon.

For more info, please go to the official Alpha site for GCO over at www.galactic-command.com

Thanks for your interest in the game; but we're working on it. It is going to be epic. :)

Game developers are just human beings who happen to make games for a living.
    If you want to hold us up to higher standards of conduct, then go ahead
    ...but don't be surprised if we don't uphold them.

• Konner920Konner920 Member UncommonPosts: 295

Originally posted by dsmart

Originally posted by geldonyetich

Actually I'm NOT working on Alganon. My involvement is purely related to running the company, directing the team as well as plotting the course forward for Alganon. I don't do any programming or development work on it at all. The current QOL team that developed Alganon, under my guidance, direction and support, is doing a very find job of that indeed.

As for 3000AD, Inc. we're still very much working on GCO as well as an un-announced game for the iPad and another unannounced MMO project (a F2P fps shooter). So, all three of my teams are fully engaged on these games.

3000AD released two games (All Aspect Warfare & Angle Of Attack) in Summer 2009 and they have both done quite well. Couple that with the games in our long running space/planetary combat series (Universal Combat), our next game is on the way and more news will be available soon.

For more info, please go to the official Alpha site for GCO over at www.galactic-command.com

Thanks for your interest in the game; but we're working on it. It is going to be epic. :)

I actually bought Universal Combat back in the day, never figured out how to play it. If you make another, make sure there's a tutorial on how to play it. nice to see game devs go on public forums to talk to players.

hmmm, I'm not sure if you're talking about Battlecruiser (1996) or Universal Combat (2004), because the later came with a 69 (SIXTY NINE) page tutorial!

In fact, the free version of that UC game, has the same 69 page tutorial. You can download the free game over here. Give it another look when you get the chance.

Of course since that original 2004 game, there have been five more games in the series, followed by the lighter fare Galactic Command. Then we took a break from space games and did the AAW/AOA games.

The last game in the UC series was the Collector's Edition v2.0 released last year. The goal with GCO is to cater to our pre-existing fan base, but at the same time cater to a new audience. It is not going to be for casual gamers, but is not even close to the complexity of Eve. The Jumpgate Evolution and Black Prophecy games, imo, are not competitors because they cater to a different crowd. STO, on the other hand, is just rubbish.

• Konner920Konner920 Member UncommonPosts: 295

hmmm, I'm not sure if you're talking about Battlecruiser (1996) or Universal Combat (2004), because the later came with a 69 (SIXTY NINE) page tutorial!

In fact, the free version of that UC game, has the same 69 page tutorial. You can download the free game over here. Give it another look when you get the chance.

Of course since that original 2004 game, there have been five more games in the series, followed by the lighter fare Galactic Command. Then we took a break from space games and did the AAW/AOA games.

The last game in the UC series was the Collector's Edition v2.0 released last year. The goal with GCO is to cater to our pre-existing fan base, but at the same time cater to a new audience. It is not going to be for casual gamers, but is not even close to the complexity of Eve. The Jumpgate Evolution and Black Prophecy games, imo, are not competitors because they cater to a different crowd. STO, on the other hand, is just rubbish.

STO is trash >_> it's been that way. I'm glad I canceled my preorder before it released. It's all thanks to Cryptic. I'm not super huge on all the space MMOs. My brother plays EVE all the time, and Black Prophecy and Jumpgate Evolution are not even out yet so I have no idea if they would interest me. Personally MMOs of anytime haven't been interesting. I'm more of a Sci-fi MMO gamer and a bit of Fantasy MMOs. But I try out tons of different genres. Space, Racing, Sports. I'd play any MMO as long as it's not a browser MMO. And yeah back to what we was talking about,

I was talking about UC from 2004. I usually don't bother reading the manuals etc. Typical guy thing >_> I'm more into actually having a tutorial in the game so i don't have to flip through a book. LOL. i'll give that a shot since it's free. I have nothing to do anyways.

• YamotaYamota Member UncommonPosts: 6,593

Glad to know that the game is being worked on as the MMORPG genre really needs some alternatives to the spreadsheet/gank fest of Eve and STO is certainly not it.

However, where does MMORPG.COM get their estimated release of Q4 2010 from? Is that even remotely close to what the actual expected release is?

• Im not sure why its listed so early, he even said he wanst sure hed even get alpha out by then.

• CaldrinCaldrin Member UncommonPosts: 4,505

Its great to see the main guy behind these games posting on forums like this...

Always liked the concepts and the scale of your games its just i dont have enough time to read a 69 page tutorial book lol...

If you guys release somthing a lot more user friendly then you will have a masive hit on your hands :)

• Eraser55Eraser55 Member Posts: 142

The game sounds interesting. I have played original Jumpgate. It requires a lot of player skill in combat, and the flight model was awesome. Hopefully this can be nearly or as good as that. 

I read the faq. I see that you will be focusing mostly on pvp and not so much on crafting trading.. Hopefully you can add that later, as well as pirating. 

My cool sig: Turrets suck.

• cylon8cylon8 Member UncommonPosts: 362

kinda facetious to trash sto when I havent heard or played any of the games he listed and after looking at them doubt I will. No offense but havent' we risen above badmouthing games that had a deliberately shortened dev cycle and are now 9 months out of the gate an entriely different beast.  Seriously.

so say we all

• SecurionSecurion Member Posts: 206

Originally posted by cylon8

kinda facetious to trash sto when I havent heard or played any of the games he listed and after looking at them doubt I will. No offense but havent' we risen above badmouthing games that had a deliberately shortened dev cycle and are now 9 months out of the gate an entriely different beast.  Seriously.

Well, its a kinda universal fact that STO is trash. The game is incredibly bad, and there is no secret that STO is the laughing stock of the game development world. Even very well known developers have said over and over again they dont want to make "silly games, like STO", "do the same mistakes as Cryptic", "make stupidly easy games like STO", etc, etc.

Someone said; "The truth does not change according to our ability to stomach it."

• RebornDragonRebornDragon Member UncommonPosts: 121

Originally posted by Yamota

Glad to know that the game is being worked on as the MMORPG genre really needs some alternatives to the spreadsheet/gank fest of Eve and STO is certainly not it.

However, where does MMORPG.COM get their estimated release of Q4 2010 from? Is that even remotely close to what the actual expected release is?

EVE A Gank Fest? Maybe if you go solo and live in a pirate hotspot for some reason...0.0 Battles are far from "ganks". Laggy, but "ganks"? Really?

• Viper_OneViper_One Member Posts: 49

That's been going on for quite a while now actually.  This is just the latest development.

• NasherUKNasherUK Member UncommonPosts: 480
    I will eat my house if this game ever meets any form of quality standards, or actually becomes an MMO (i.e. more than a handful of players) :P
  • KarahandrasKarahandras Member UncommonPosts: 1,703

Originally posted by Yamota

release date is in their faq between q4 2010 and q1 2011 going from alpha stress to beta stress to live apparently

• FritomanFritoman Member Posts: 59

Please, Please, just make a space MMO that is fun.....don't need the complexity of EVE (I played for 5 years) , you cannot just log into Eve and stay  awhile, it's an all day event, too time consuming.  Played that game 18 hours straight once, it was fun wiping out an entire Alliance though. And I agree 100% STO is pure rubbish

• StyijStyij Member Posts: 186

More vaporware...

• TaiphozTaiphoz Member UncommonPosts: 353

Show me some video, thats all I wana see, anything that can fill the void that the train wreck that is jumpgate evolution has left will be more than welcome by many.

Originally posted by Styij

More vaporware...

You are probably correct :(

Originally posted by Fritoman

Originally posted by Styij

More vaporware...

You are probably correct :(

No word in a long time...not good

• CurricularCurricular Member Posts: 2

I hope this just doesn't disappear and turn in vapourware, from everything i have managed to find out on the web it looks like it will be a great game, however I have been waiting for Elite 4 and Jumpgate Evolution for what seems like for ages, and I thought both of those would be great games.  I know Jumpgate Evolution had some legal / rights issues and David Brabern (Elite) has loads of other work on the go for the console market, but it doesnt stop me from wanting them. It seems to me that Jumpgate Evolution, Galactic Command Online and Elite 4 are very similar games, all three games seem to have a very loyal and not too small following and the fans of the three games are all waiting for the next installment, whoever manages to publish first should have a massive advantage over the other two...

Just my thoughts

First of all, I've developed 14 games. None of them were vaporware - so why do you assume that GCO is? That's just pure rubbish.

It is still very much in development. The reason there isn't much news on it is because, well, I dunno - maybe we're, you know, BUSY working on it?

Apart from that, we're also working on Line Of Defense which comes out first (2012), with GCO to follow in the 2013-14 timeframe.

And of course, Line Of Defense also has a space combat component; though not as extensive as the one in GCO (which is a more hardcore game since it is a direct derivative of Battlecruiser & Universal Combat series.

The only simiiarity between GCO, Jumpgate Evolution and Elite4 is that GCO will be made. The others are already dead. And if the recent DOA that was Black Prophecy is anything to go by, not everyone is cut out for making space combat games.

• CurricularCurricular Member Posts: 2

First of all, I've developed 14 games. None of them were vaporware - so why do you assume that GCO is? That's just pure rubbish.

It is still very much in development. The reason there isn't much news on it is because, well, I dunno - maybe we're, you know, BUSY working on it?

Apart from that, we're also working on Line Of Defense which comes out first (2012), with GCO to follow in the 2013-14 timeframe.

And of course, Line Of Defense also has a space combat component; though not as extensive as the one in GCO (which is a more hardcore game since it is a direct derivative of Battlecruiser & Universal Combat series.

The only simiiarity between GCO, Jumpgate Evolution and Elite4 is that GCO will be made. The others are already dead. And if the recent DOA that was Black Prophecy is anything to go by, not everyone is cut out for making space combat games.

I think you mis-read my post. I hope GCO doesnt become vapour-ware, I am very much looking forward to its release!! I am glad it is currently working on it and will of corse play line of defense next year whilst waiting for you to release GCO.

As far as Jumpgate Evolution goes, I understand there will be a public press release very soon, with regard to both Jumpgate and Jumpgate Evolution

and Elite.. I know Frontier Developments are exceptionally busy at the moment, I am not sure if you attended gamescom, but they have 2 new title releasing through 2011. Fronier Developments employ over 200 people and are looking for even more staff for other projects. If i remember correctly DB stated he would be developing some of the technology used in the upcomming The Outsider in Elite 4.

Black Prophecy DOA - I am not convinced 

Originally posted by Curricular

I think you mis-read my post. I hope GCO doesnt become vapour-ware, I am very much looking forward to its release!! I am glad it is currently working on it and will of corse play line of defense next year whilst waiting for you to release GCO.

As far as Jumpgate Evolution goes, I understand there will be a public press release very soon, with regard to both Jumpgate and Jumpgate Evolution

and Elite.. I know Frontier Developments are exceptionally busy at the moment, I am not sure if you attended gamescom, but they have 2 new title releasing through 2011. Fronier Developments employ over 200 people and are looking for even more staff for other projects. If i remember correctly DB stated he would be developing some of the technology used in the upcomming The Outsider in Elite 4.

Black Prophecy DOA - I am not convinced 

Actually I wasn't only replying to just you. I just combined everything into one, while making some clear points.

Braben has "threatened" Elite4 for almost ten (?) years now. I don't believe that it will ever be  made because the core audience is not large enough to sustain it. The team sizes, overhead, dev costs etc all contribute toward whether a game is made or not.