Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

General: The Quiz: P2P to F2P

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129

With the announcement earlier this week that Champions Online is headed to free to play, MMORPG.com's Drew Wood has put together a quiz to test your knowledge of some of the more recently 'converted' F2Ps on the market. See how you do and then give us a report on the forums!

Happy Friday, everyone. To celebrate the end of the work/school week, the beginning of the coveted weekend (Hallowe'en weekend, no less!), I give you the MMORPG.com quiz! This week, what with the announcement coming earlier in the week that Champions Online is going F2P in the New Year, I've decided to give you a quiz based on some of the titles that have gone over to F2P. So please, find below some trivia questions about some of the games that have made the big F2P leap.

Read more of MMORPG.com's The Quiz: P2P to F2P.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• MalcanisMalcanis Member UncommonPosts: 3,297

This will not end well

Give me liberty or give me lasers

• TazlorTazlor Member UncommonPosts: 864

you know i always wondered what happend to marvel universe online....

• wgc01wgc01 Member UncommonPosts: 241

I look for allot more of the older games, or games that may not be doing that well to convert,  this is one of those issues, where it does not matter what we think the company is going to do what is best for them, Turbine has 2 cows in the money making pasture now, I even seen an interview from someone at blizzard  that stated, when going free to play will make them more profit than the current sub sysytem we will switch, I believe in the future the 14.99 sub will only be one option and not the sole way we pay for games, the times they are a changing, like it or not..:)

• KookasKookas Member Posts: 39

Yea fun, I love quizzes

* I read most of what Jon Wood writes
    * He needs more bullet points though

• purewitzpurewitz Member UncommonPosts: 489

What does this quiz prove..........RPGs pen & paper, table-top, or other wise don't make good MMORPG IPs.  Well I guess that only goes for Champions Online, Dungeons and Drangons Online , and Warhammer Online. Lol.  Only game in this quiz I like is The Lord of Rings Online. Only because it has an amazing IP and the other games can't complete with a literary master like JRR Tolkien.

When we get back from where we are going, we will return to where we were. I know people there!

• EnerzealEnerzeal Member Posts: 326

Shame climax couldn't hold onto the warhammer online game, they where set to make a far superior game that what we have now.

• ScotScot Member LegendaryPosts: 22,955

Well it is Halloween coming up and the horror is F2P. It’s the creature that always gets you like some lumbering Frankenstein’s monster that catches up with you no matter what you do. It’s the brainchild of Dr Aihoshi and the gothic science of marketing.

The monstrous F2P will save MMO’s and profits will fall from heaven onto the blessed gaming companies, hallelujah we are saved!

…yeah right and in the real world F2P just makes a MMO an unfair cash cow that squeezes every penny it can out of you before it goes belly up.

• DinendaeDinendae Member Posts: 1,264

Originally posted by Tazlor

There is another company that is working on a Marvel MMO now, though the name escapes me at the moment.

"Oh my, how horrible, someone is criticizing a MMO. Oh yeah, that is what a forum is about, looking at both sides. You rather have to be critical of anything in this genre as of late because the track record of these major studios has just been appalling." -Ozmodan

• s8man888s8man888 Member Posts: 32

Originally posted by Dinendae

Originally posted by Tazlor

There is another company that is working on a Marvel MMO now, though the name escapes me at the moment.

Gazillion, right?

• CaliforunCaliforun Member Posts: 70

Originally posted by Malcanis

This will not end well

Kleb.

• Hellfyre420Hellfyre420 Member Posts: 861

Heh actually this year i've pretty much been converted to "f2p" games.. It's weird, but it seems like f2p games are more willing to take the chance and break from the "fantasy MMORPG" mold..

The current one im playing (Heroes of three kingdoms) offers awsome mounts (faction mounts are awsome, free, and nonattainable from CS), Territory wars where you fight over control of land and citys in 100v100 battle, and a wide range of fun daily quests.. AION (personally my favorite p2p MMORPG tho most will disagree) offered NONE of that; besides maybe fort battles which arn't really the same thing and poorly built compared to HOTK territory wars..

Also Uncharted Waters Online is another good f2p MMO that breaks from the mold and offers something most other p2p MMO's don't.. I'am just finding that f2p games appear to take more risks, and cater better to their niche then p2p mmo's do.. A P2P mmo to be succesful has to offer PvE, PvP, Crafting, ECT.. But a f2p MMO (for the most part) really focuses on one of those niches that the player likes and builds from there..

I'am not saying all f2p MMO's are good.. Since ive been experimenting with them i've probably tried around 20+ but only kept playing 2-3 for more then a few months.. HOTK i've been playing around 3-4ish months now (it just launched around 5 months ago) and i still get excited to log in each day.. So far i've spent $60 on the game and can pretty much just farm everyhthing else i need.. Usually $60 is the price of addmission for a MMO game, not includeing its $15 each month..

Its all about finding the right f2p MMO for you that is NOT going to nickle and dime you to death.. They are out there.. And there are MANY of them lol.

Currently Playing:
    Rift + Starcraft II + Gears Of War 3 Beta

• IthiIthi Member Posts: 43

I think there are two issues here:

!. Making a bad game F2P surely won't save it.  People still won't like playing a bad game, or one they have tired of playing, or one that has outlived itself.

On the other hand,

2. A very good game, like Guild Wars (and by all appearances, reviews and promises, GW2), is a very good game whether it is F2P or not.

I have played some of the games you mentioned when they were P2P and left them because in my opinion they were not playworthy.  I am a founding member, in fact, of two of them.  I will not start playing them again simply because I don't have to pay a monthly sub at this point.

I have also played GW for years and will continue to do so because it is a good game developed brilliantly.  I think that should be the deciding factor in choosing a game, rather than looking at every F2P game as if it carries the plague because it carries no fee.

Yawn…come up with a post that contributes Draekx, if you have nothing to offer a trite sentence falls flat.

GW is B2P, not F2P just like DDO and Lotro use hybrid systems. There does seem to be an inability among players to see there is more than two ways MMO's are funded. It is almost like if it does not have a three letter abbreviation it does not exist. But I used B2P so there you go it exists now. :)

• CryCrystalCryCrystal Member Posts: 39

I prefer a game F2P or B2P :D !!! 

------

• DatcydeDatcyde Member UncommonPosts: 573

When I used to play FTP I always paid more then 14.99 a month using items shop.

• anxhelino123anxhelino123 Member Posts: 3

someone seems to know their games lol

• sadeyxsadeyx Member UncommonPosts: 1,555

Originally posted by Draekx

Originally posted by Scot

Well it is Halloween coming up and the horror is F2P. It’s the creature that always gets you like some lumbering Frankenstein’s monster that catches up with you no matter what you do. It’s the brainchild of Dr Aihoshi and the gothic science of marketing.

The monstrous F2P will save MMO’s and profits will fall from heaven onto the blessed gaming companies, hallelujah we are saved!

…yeah right and in the real world F2P just makes a MMO an unfair cash cow that squeezes every penny it can out of you before it goes belly up.

You set out to prove yourself a moron, and you succeeded.

Agreed, some people just dont get it do they, lol.

Ah well, maybe ignorance IS bliss xD

• nachofootnachofoot Member UncommonPosts: 122

Originally posted by Datcyde

And this is what some people just don't get...

• XthosXthos Member UncommonPosts: 2,739

I play P2P, or B2P without cash shop.  If I played a F2P, I would still be paying money, since I would want the dungeon I need to buy ect....So none of it would be free for me....So I choose to know what I am spending up front.

Haven't liked any f2p game I have tried, and they seem to be more lax against cheating as a whole, not that anyone does a stellar job against it imo....People talk big, but they don't deliver.

Free trials give me all I need to know, and if I would pay a subscription or not...and most games come out with free trials, even if you have to wait a month after launch (which I usually don't, if I like a games ideas enough).

Nothing against f2p, its just not my thing, but glad its there for those that like it, and I am glad that my prefered way of playing is there for me....

Despite the recent trend of some games that were P2P, going F2P, no games that I have choosen to play have ever gone this route.   I am very picky about what I will pay for though.

Originally posted by nachofoot

Originally posted by Datcyde

And this is what some people just don't get...

I'm fairly certain that everyone does get that point.

understand, however, that for every person that does 'over spend' at the item shop there are 100 people that dont spend a thing.

generally, humans are much better at not spending than over spending.  Hence the word 'free' is abused and such abuse is what gives it a bad name, therfore breeding ignorance to which you are no doubt induldging in right now.

Originally posted by Xthos

Despite the recent trend of some games that were P2P, going F2P, no games that I have choosen to play have ever gone this route.   I am very picky about what I will pay for though.

This is merly coincidental.

While you may feel secure in the knowledge that your "picky" about what you pay for it would quickly subside in the face of an attractive propostion.

• MMOExposedMMOExposed Member RarePosts: 7,387

GW is evil,, see what I mean?

Philosophy of MMO Game Design

• IthiIthi Member Posts: 43

Originally posted by MMOExposed

GW is evil,, see what I mean?

Um, nooooo (backs away, slowly)

Bloody hell, the fan boys pounced on my piss take but you get away with "GW is evil"? You are golden man, golden. :)

• drowelfdrowelf Member UncommonPosts: 114

yes you pay if you have to have the newest set of clothes,charms, potions or mounts. if you dont then you will not. it is an opteion not a requirement.