Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

What's the status of this game?

travdotytravdoty Member UncommonPosts: 274

I'd really like the status of this game if anyone has confirmed info, or even just speculation. I really don't wanna read through all the posts and news articles to figure it out... I'm sure someone can just give me the gist of what's going on at the time.

A side note: I think it's a little far fetched how a lot of people on this forum say "This IP would be so awesome for an MMORPG for reasons X Y & Z" or "This IP would be terrible for such and such reasons". There's plenty of IP's that simply would just fail as an MMORPG. However, I really could see this one taking off and becoming something great if a big company picked it up and put some serious time into it. 

Comments

• DevilXaphanDevilXaphan Member UncommonPosts: 1,144

As far as most people are concerned, it is VAPORWARE!

• GamerAeonGamerAeon Member Posts: 567

Dead

I dunno why it's even on here still they perma shelved it

the devs lost ALL funding and even their savior game Stargate:Resistance had to be sold off to someone else.

• BurntvetBurntvet Member RarePosts: 3,465

This game is as dead as Julius Caesar, only without the pedigree.

The company that was making it folded, likely along with the ponzi marketing scheme company, the former owner of the company  maikng this game, was running. Multiple investor lawsuits, missing/burned/wasted cash, hidden asset allegations, a whole soap opera.

All in all, nothing will happen with this IP until someone gets clear title to the rights (which won't be fast) and then, some other company gets interested enough to pay money for them.

• MaverickeMavericke Member Posts: 3

Woah... nice to know. I believe it could be a great MMO as well... my first post was in one of the threads you mentioned and I brought up the SG world... endless possibilities, factions, PVE, PVP, story, whatever... it could go on and on.

Sad to see it went "poof", I played in the early beta testing... not sure if I'm allowed to mention it at this point. I guess they could sue me and take some of my bills away, lol... I won't say much about the game because I clicky-swore I wouldn't... but I like it. If that means anything at all.

By the time someone gets their hands on the rights to this game... that coding will be useless. The team had some great ideas. It's just too bad.

I hope something happens soon... but if it's as bad as you say - this game, the one I beta tested, will never see the light of day.

Mavericke
    Games Played:
    Star Wars Galaxies, Lord of The Rings, Stargate Worlds, Aion. Beta in all except SWG.

The one you tested saw the light of day for a short while

they used a good majority of the SG:W coding to fashion SG:R

Too bad that game got sold off to someone else though, I think the Stargate franchise is having a dramatic drop in Interest

SG:U is about as thrilling as watching Days of Our Lives Space Theme Edition

• MaverickeMavericke Member Posts: 3

Originally posted by GamerAeon

Too bad that game got sold off to someone else though, I think the Stargate franchise is having a dramatic drop in Interest

Agreed. SG:U sounded cool at first... but I just can't get into it. I do like how it starts out though... the gaming kid getting zapped up into the ship. Cool stuff. Other than that... just boring. And this is coming from a guy that is forced to watch days of our lives every night at bed time off the DVR because the wife must see her show.... bah. Thank God she passes out fast, LOL!

I wasn't aware that they used parts of it for the other SG game... in fact, never heard of that game until now. Will have to look it up. Wow.

Mavericke
    Games Played:
    Star Wars Galaxies, Lord of The Rings, Stargate Worlds, Aion. Beta in all except SWG.

Oh yeah, it's kinda like Unreal Tournament meets Stargate

Stargate: Resistance is the name of the game

• GrayGhost79GrayGhost79 Member UncommonPosts: 4,775

Originally posted by Mavericke

Originally posted by GamerAeon

Agreed. SG:U sounded cool at first... but I just can't get into it. I do like how it starts out though... the gaming kid getting zapped up into the ship. Cool stuff. Other than that... just boring. And this is coming from a guy that is forced to watch days of our lives every night at bed time off the DVR because the wife must see her show.... bah. Thank God she passes out fast, LOL!

I wasn't aware that they used parts of it for the other SG game... in fact, never heard of that game until now. Will have to look it up. Wow.

Going to 3rd that oO. SG:U started out good but now it's more battlestar galactica (Remake not original) and not so much star gate. It's already been put on my no watch list :( 

Yeah me and a buddy of mine have tried watching it (not together) a few more times here recently and we just fall asleep halfway through everytime it's so dang BORING.

SG:A was AWESOME always something new and exciting going on

SG:1 equally awesome who didn't like Teal'c and the wild adventures they went on.

But SG:U...They have the whole freakin UNIVERSE and here we are MID Season 2 and they've had 1 Episode with alien contact. Now they're having an episode where they're being attacked by Aliens and they have some members of the Lutian Alliance on board Destiny...Well I can spell out the rest of THEIR Destiny...End of Season 2 = Cancellation if the idiot writers don't start getting the action going soon and I mean like LAST Week soon.

• grimm6thgrimm6th Member Posts: 973

personally I think trying to make a Stargate MMO is pretty ridiculous.  Don't get me wrong, I love Stargate, but they should seriously have started with something that wasn't online, worked with the writers of the shows to give it a good, solid story to fill out some Stargate Lore (like what KOTOR did for Star Wars), finally introduce the Furling (because you don't need to be at current earth time for the game, and then make an MMO if people are still interested.  I think the only reason to play a Stargate game is if it has some Stargate story involved.

I used to TL;DR, but then I took a bullet point to the footnote.

• SlineerSlineer Member Posts: 246

MGM owns the rights to  Stargate and always has. The former developers of SGW have no claim to the IP, only the work they've done thus far.  A new developer can obtain the rights to make an SG MMO easily through MGM with no nessecity to deal with any of the former developers or their work.

As far as making an SG MMO set in a different time line, the idea was that the game would follow the show. However this is unlikely to happen now as Syfy (SciFi) Is currently in a deal with Trion worlds developing a TV show and an MMO together that will influence eachother. It is unlikely SyFy would take on two projects that combine MMO's and TV shows unless their current project is successful.

Also I completely disagree about a SG game being about story. Stargate has never been about story, it has always been about action to me. If I played any SG game it would be to blow stuff up, have epic space battles and enslave entire races! (or destroy evil overlords).  Yes story should be in the game, but it should not be the forefront of it. But thankfully if you love story, Bioware has you covered with SW:ToR.

I'd personally be satisfied with a new TV series, as many people agree, SGU just doesn't cut it. To much drama where there use to be humor, its just not fun to watch.

• JimmacJimmac Member UncommonPosts: 1,660

Originally posted by Slineer

Also I completely disagree about a SG game being about story. Stargate has never been about story, it has always been about action to me.

Yikes. This is sad to read. SG1 had such a great story and even better character development. Atlantis was right up there with it. The action in both series was good but more like icing on the cake rather than the main attraction. 

To me, SG1 and Atlantis have both always been about the characters and the progression of the main story arcs. I still get bummed when I think that both were needlessly canceled.

To keep this post a little more on topic, I hope that any Stargate MMO will have a great tie in story with the series, although I would prefer the game's story to be non canon, just like I'd prefer for any MMORPG's story based on an unoriginal IP to be non canon. 

• FaelsunFaelsun Member UncommonPosts: 501

I'm glad this game died a horrible death. It was a really really stupid show.

I mean it was/is REALLY stupid.

• ScribbleLay1ScribbleLay1 Member Posts: 177

Originally posted by Faelsun

I agree with you about being glad the game died, but  I thought the show was great except for the last couple years where it seemed that they ran out of things and had to just make stupid shows to meet the actors contracts.

• ScribbleLay1ScribbleLay1 Member Posts: 177

To be honest, I totaly agree, I do not think this vaporware should even be listed, even their official web site has been taken over for that other game that they made to try to make money for this failure.

• bcnewfie29bcnewfie29 Member Posts: 8

Originally posted by Faelsun

What is the point? SG is one of the biggest franchises in sci-fi.

Whats REALLY stupid, is a moron that hates the show, is even posting here at all