Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Bunny Hopping: Does it make MMO's look silly?

Comments

• stayontargetstayontarget Member RarePosts: 6,519

It does to me.

Velika: City of Wheels: Among the mortal races, the humans were the only one that never built cities or great empires; a curse laid upon them by their creator, Gidd, forced them to wander as nomads for twenty centuries...

• battleaxe22battleaxe22 Member UncommonPosts: 303

I  press space when idling or grinding   ..just out of boredome : p

• BeansnBreadBeansnBread Member EpicPosts: 7,254

It looks silly and I'm addicted to doing it. Traveling somewhere far away? Bunny hop. Something close by that I can jump on that I shouldn't? Try to jump on top. Bored and standing around in the middle of a city/town with a bunch of players standing around me? Bunny hop. Some strange circular pattern on the floor? Bunny hop around it.

The seemingly random bunny hop is my favorite. Just sort of spin the mouse around, constantly jumping in random directions. I can do this for up to 15 minutes.

I also tend to do a lot of hopping in FPS games to make the target a bit harder to track. Does this make FPS games look silly? Probably. 

• choujiofkonochoujiofkono Member Posts: 852

Originally posted by SuperXero89

I bunny hop, and I'm even more likely to do it around people whom I know it irritates and in games full of people who look down on it.

Seriously, lighten up people.

After watching the video, that sort of thing "does" annoy me in PvP.  I mean, we're playing MMORPGs not Unreal Tournament.  Winning a battle should mean you know how to play your class and have better equipment more than it should mean you make your character impossible to hit.

I think you hit the point on the head here.  PvP in MMO's is a joke.  There is no skill in the "you win because you have the shiny weapon" scenario.  They put PvP in MMO's so they can tack on the catchphrase "PvP" on the box, not because it's actually a sport.  Unreal Tourney was fun because it set up each team with the same chance to win and took skill and planning to beat your opponent. 

What makes it worse is with item shops they now sell the advantage in a convenient micropayment.  That sounds like tons O' fun.  No.

Jumping is an important part of a games immersion and can be abused like anything else in a game.  The same as camping out and "farming" a rare drop is ridiculous to gain an advantage in PvP but tons of people find that behavior acceptable as well for some reason. 

"I'm not cheap I'm incredibly subconsciously financially optimized"
    "The worst part of censorship is ------------------"

• sidionsidion Member Posts: 33

Originally posted by colddog04

It looks silly and I'm addicted to doing it. Traveling somewhere far away? Bunny hop. Something close by that I can jump on that I shouldn't? Try to jump on top. Bored and standing around in the middle of a city/town with a bunch of players standing around me? Bunny hop. Some strange circular pattern on the floor? Bunny hop around it.

The seemingly random bunny hop is my favorite. Just sort of spin the mouse around, constantly jumping in random directions. I can do this for up to 15 minutes.

I also tend to do a lot of hopping in FPS games to make the target a bit harder to track. Does this make FPS games look silly? Probably. 

Your first point about boredom and standing around is why I like jumping/bunny hopping in games. It's just something else to do when standing around, just like emotes. I don't mash it like a goof but I certainly enjoy the occasional hop or two, especially onto pieces of the environment that let me get an awesome view.

• unbound55unbound55 Member UncommonPosts: 325

Perhaps you need to step away from your computer, head out to the local mall, sit down and just watch people for a few hours.  People behave in all kinds of different ways, but we tend to tune them out in the real world.  Not sure why we look at them any differently in the virtual world.

In any of the MMORPG games I've played, the overwhelming majority of people behave fairly appropriately.  Yes, there are times that there are stupid / silly things going on in chat or in the game...but those times are actually pretty sparse.  I've seen bunny-hopping (for instance), but honestly not very often...and usually only when people are bored waiting for some activity (rather like a number of people I know in real life...not bunny hopping per se, but other annoying, repetitive habits).

In terms of "Does bunny hopping make a MMORPG silly?"...I would say no, not by itself...there are unique individuals everywhere you go.  Now, if the game required you to bunny hop to be involved in combat, that would be silly...

• alloinalloin Member UncommonPosts: 135

how to bunny-hop?

http://video.yahoo.com/watch/196333

Go play games where u can't jump if u can't stand jumping... O.o

We are all satoshi!
  • elockeelocke Member UncommonPosts: 4,335

I voted no because bunny hopping doesn't make MMO's look silly, it just makes the player doing it at the worst possible time look silly. Like the guy in the dungeon bunny hopping through or the guy in pvp bunny hopping around you as if that makes any difference on whether you hit him or not.

• C0MAC0MA Member Posts: 522

Originally posted by elocke

I voted no because bunny hopping doesn't make MMO's look silly, it just makes the player doing it at the worst possible time look silly. Like the guy in the dungeon bunny hopping through or the guy in pvp bunny hopping around you as if that makes any difference on whether you hit him or not.

In non auto target games... it does make a difference.

"Sometimes people say stuff they don''t mean, but more often then that they don''t say things they do mean"

• elockeelocke Member UncommonPosts: 4,335

Originally posted by Tailz2k7

I tend to not play non auto target games but I see your point. Still think it's the player. Jumping isn't a skill, to me at least.

• C0MAC0MA Member Posts: 522

I tend to not play non auto target games but I see your point. Still think it's the player. Jumping isn't a skill, to me at least.

Bunny hopping should be completely removed from skill based aim games... I cant count the times I bunny hopped and mana missled my way to full loot in Darkfall. I didn't even need gear just a newbie staff and a spacebar GG gimme yo cookies. Was dumb really.

"Sometimes people say stuff they don''t mean, but more often then that they don''t say things they do mean"

• jaxsundanejaxsundane Member Posts: 2,776

Originally posted by Uzik

Personally, I think it looks ridiculous.  Seems that people forget the "RP" in MMORPG stands for "Role Playing".

While I understand that it is hard to make a "realism" argument against bunny hopping while you are shooting fireballs and such, but there has to be a valid "silly" argument. 

My example is the below:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FHh7xGQ-AsI&NR=1

I think the issue of jumping is really dependant upon the type of mmorpg gameplay we are talking about, when it comes to pvp it is annoying to me when hoping around someone like a fool sets up some kind of advantage but given the design of games like AOC and DF it seems to be more relevant there than in older games like WOW.

As it relates to pve it trips me out when people complain about people "jumping around all the time" I just can't be too concerned over what other people do with there i game experience.

but yeah, to call this game Fantastic is like calling Twilight the Godfather of vampire movies....

• EdliEdli Member Posts: 941

The peoples who bitch about bunny hoping look silly. Seriously whats so irritating if someone is doing it. What are you, 50 years old or something? 

The lamest of all were those guys who defended the lack of jump in FFXIV using the bunny hoping excuse. 

• choujiofkonochoujiofkono Member Posts: 852

It doesn't matter what you do anyway you'll never be as good at bunny hopping than Master Yoda.

"I'm not cheap I'm incredibly subconsciously financially optimized"
    "The worst part of censorship is ------------------"

• TyrrhonTyrrhon Member Posts: 412

Silly? It looks joyful to me. You are just jealous because people are full of energy and have fun doing something that you consider serious tiresome work.

In seriousness, it shows how lacking is one of the most major parts of MMO - travel. There are precious few MMO where movement has some meat to it - one I know being Maple Story, another being EvE. The worst I played is LOTRO - tons of running around with no challenge or variety.

• mackdawg19mackdawg19 Member UncommonPosts: 842

I think people tend to forget we are playing fantasy driven games, where things you dream of should be possible. Even if you try to make a game seem realistic, you can't. Because let's face it, realistic is boring hence the reason we play games in the first place. Seriously, if I had to play a game where I went to work, drove home, woke up, fed my kids and what not. I would freaking cry, seriously shed tears. I doubt anyone would code a game that way because that's just plain boring. Look at how slow we walk. Would you really want that in a game. I'd take bunny hopping any day, because it fits.

• Originally posted by Ozreth

OP, people like you make MMORPG's look silly : p

I don't qft much, but....QFT

• ototo147ototo147 Member UncommonPosts: 22

Originally posted by bloodaxes

I'd wish if mmos made jumping like on mount & blade...

Yes it's usefull sometimes to dodge a hit or 2 but you can't bunny hop, after jumping you have to wait like 2 seconds before jumping again this way you use it when you really need it not to be stupid.

Yeah, I agree with this. Although I guess it should be game-dependent. Since M&B is obviously going for a more realistic feel, they made jumping a bit restrictive. Although if you think about it, even M&B's jumping is pretty ridiculous when it comes to reality.

Another game that did jumping different was Everquest. It would drain your stamina, and it wasn't really hopping, but more like leaping, like if you were required to jump over a gap in the floor. Stamina was also important for other things, but I think you still saw people bunny hopping in the end. You could probably never get rid of it, unless you got rid of jumping altogether, or so it seems.

I think I agree with SuperXero89 though, in that it only really bothers me if it's in PvP. And even there, it isn't too big of a deal - just slightly annoying. If it's a class that's required to be fast, then it makes sense, and it bothers me even less. If it's a big tank class in full plate armor, eh, it's a stupid sight to see, but it does little to affect my overall immersion of the game.

• DeathageDeathage Member CommonPosts: 146

bunnyhopping... tis a silly thing. not a tragedy though. i say either do like in mount in blade or like in asheron's call. if someone wants to be a bunny, make them work for it. also make it armor-dependent. 

• svannsvann Member RarePosts: 2,230

Has there really been any mmorpg besides wow that went so over the top with jumping that it could be called bunny hopping?  

• OmeteotlOmeteotl Member Posts: 11

Yes! - Every bunnyhopper is on my ignore-list before his/her third hop. I have a zero-tolerance-policy in this case.

• leumasx7leumasx7 Member Posts: 218

Originally posted by Ometeotl

Yes! - Every bunnyhopper is on my ignore-list before his/her third hop. I have a zero-tolerance-policy in this case.

Then play a free MMO. Problem Solved. (70% of the free MMOs ive played dont have jump at all.)

• MardyMardy Member Posts: 2,213

I hop, subconsciously, I don't do it to annoy people, but it's just something I do.  I probably got the habit from the Quake days, but whatever, I hop.  My g/f can't stand people that hop, she can't explain to me why other than "it's annoying".

So there you have it, it bothers some people, but doesn't bother others.  Chulk it up to coke vs pepsi thing.

EQ1-AC1-DAOC-FFXI-L2-EQ2-WoW-DDO-GW-LoTR-VG-WAR-GW2-ESO

I HAS A SOLUTION TO MAKE EVERYONE HAPPY.

1. Add CD, until u can jump again (1second, to 1.5)

2. Add delay; where character recovers from jump, and takes short delay to jump. (.5second delay to jump; 1second after jump)

3. Have a Stamina meter where jumping drains it by 35%, (if in there, sprinting drains 5% a second).. Stamina regens 10% a second, cannot be enhanced to a higher precent...

L2P if u think all these are un-reasonable and you can't even deal with 3-hops. which is not hard.

(I hop Automatically, being a surfer/ Bhop server in CSS). MMOs are not hard to deal with that. QQ~..

Theres a reason they Hop.. Its not PVE, you can't just click spells and hope they stay still and just auto attack you. L2Strafe, use keyboard and don't click your stuff. Other than that, only advice i have.