Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

World of Warcraft: The New Barrens

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129

Blizzard recently updated all World of Warcraft servers with the 4.0.1 patch that lays the groundwork for the upcoming Cataclysm expansion. The Barrens, long a tedious journey for Horde members, has been updated and altered in a dramatic way. To test out the developers' statements, MMORPG.com Industry Relations Manager, Garrett Fuller, started a new character and went exploring the NEW Barrens. Check out his impressions and then let us know what you think.

I created a warlock, because well, I always wanted to play a warlock. I was holding out for the orc mage, but the WoW bug came early this year and I started to level again before the expansion. To maintain my credibility, I have an 80 Shaman with a 5700 gear score and an 80 Death Knight with a lousy gear score because I mostly stopped playing him once he hit 80. I may however, turn him into a viable tank for Cataclysm.

Read more World of Warcraft: The New Barrens.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• MurashuMurashu Member UncommonPosts: 1,386

It may have been a great article however, I stopped reading at "To maintain my credibility, I have an 80 Shaman with a 5700 gear score". How does GS give you credibility?

• ClocksimusClocksimus Member Posts: 354

By mentioning GS the article lost all credibility.  I know I tend to be overly harsh about things but GS is simply one of the worse addons to hav ever been made and sadly became a standard.

GS doesn't tell Bob the Tank how to switch aggro and doesn't make Jill the Rogue understand what aggro is (I know aggro control has been long dead but still.)

• Kaynos1972Kaynos1972 Member Posts: 2,316

Originally posted by Murashu

It may have been a great article however, I stopped reading at "To maintain my credibility, I have an 80 Shaman with a 5700 gear score". How does GS give you credibility?

Maybe we should /bow to him and call him God ?

• shakermaker0shakermaker0 Member UncommonPosts: 194

I think he was just trying to show that he knows the game and has experience - rather than showing off or something.

• DanbaccaDanbacca Member UncommonPosts: 247

This is laughable. You could always do 3 or 4 quests at the same time in the barrens. Each oasis had at least 3 quests in that area alone. I also agree that Gear Score is the worst addon it just incites zerg fest and warriors in their dps gear thinking they can tank.

I did hate the harpie quest trio that made you run 10 minutes back and forth to collect the claws and the rings though. Hell maybe in Cata we will have a skateboard at level 5 now that Blizz is dropping levels for so much stuff now.

• xTRIxEDGExxTRIxEDGEx Member UncommonPosts: 43

lol really guys? probably sarcasm.

• AericynAericyn Member UncommonPosts: 394

Have to agree Gearscore really "grinds my gears". Like there isn't enough things that people are jerks about.

What an annoying invention for MMO's - someone in game who mentions/applies GS to me receives a cordial /ignore in /reply.

Actually, I don't know what does earn credibility on the Internet anymore. *shrug*

My own commentary on flight paths, I think they should remain a discovery process in all MMO's. Sure make it easy to return but your first trip to a location should be by foot or by hoof. Where is the adventure in: "Samwise, let's hearthstone to Mordor." "Great idea Frodo!"

• EricDanieEricDanie Member UncommonPosts: 2,238

You folks are clearly not playing WoW. In order to do anything you must show your GS, because, you know, that is the absolute indicator of skill and knowledge.

• Karnage69Karnage69 Member UncommonPosts: 323

Originally posted by EricDanie

You folks are clearly not playing WoW. In order to do anything you must show your GS, because, you know, that is the absolute indicator of skill and knowledge.

Eric, your sarcasm knows no bounds!

As with the rest of you, I hate GS just as much as the next guy. 

Ever been kicked out of the group because your GS wasn't high enough? For a heroic 5 man even. It's like the WoW player base somehow thinks when you hit 80, you are automatically given a decent gear score and by some chance I missed the "I win" button. I canceled my sub anyway. I quit.

• BeansnBreadBeansnBread Member EpicPosts: 7,254

My question is, how does 5700 give him credibility?

Gear up, NOOB.

Edit:

There are still quests that are pointless, nothing is worse than the beaten dead orc quest,

How can you call yourself a WoW player without knowing MANKRIK's name?!

• JakdstripperJakdstripper Member RarePosts: 2,410

he he, what's there not to love about the locks?

badest mofo in the game. the evil mage that sold his soul to the dark side to wield the power of demons from hell.....it doesn't get much cooler than that :)

• grimfallgrimfall Member UncommonPosts: 1,153

Meet the new Barrens

Same as the old Barrens

Won't get fooled again!

• ClattucClattuc Member UncommonPosts: 163

Hating on GearScore is like being angry at Temperature.  It's just a formula!  It doesn't tell the whole story about a player, obviously.  NOTHING tells the whole story about a player.  Everyone has encountered clueless players in the game.  When they're poorly geared, it's their own fault.  When they're well geared (and still clueless), it's suddenly GearScore's fault??  I don't think so.

The fact is that if you are a good player and you carefully accumulate the right gear for your role, your GearScore will rise as you go.  That's all its intended for.  If people use it as a cutoff for PUGs, it's because it's the quickest and easiest method for assembling a group of total strangers when time is of the essence.  Join a guild and raid with them and they'll stop checking your GS, I promise.

• TygerTraxTygerTrax Member Posts: 16

Yeah, epeen waving has the exact opposite of the effect he was going for. :p

• Lunny08Lunny08 Member Posts: 120

There are still quests that are pointless, nothing is worse than the beaten dead orc quest,

Because he pays a sub and plays WoW? Maybe? No? Maybso? :D

• BeansnBreadBeansnBread Member EpicPosts: 7,254

Originally posted by Lunny08

Because he pays a sub and plays WoW? Maybe? No? Maybso? :D

Yeahhh. I was just messing around. Mankrik is some pretty serious business. And actually, I was wrong, lol. Now that I think about it, that dead orc was Mankrik's wife.

I always look down on her broken orc body and shed a single tear before I advance that quest and then promptly tell a Chuck Norris joke in global chat.

• J0K3R_3DJ0K3R_3D Member Posts: 82

I am not looking forward to Barrens. I dont care how "re-done" or optimized its has become. Probably taking my cowadin to the undead zone.

• TealaTeala Member RarePosts: 7,627

I am not all that great of writer, and have atrocious writing skills, but when I see glaring mistakes in spelling and what not, well...someone needs to edit this - like  the spelling of Orgrimmar.   Please go back and edit this piece...it even makes me cringe when I read it.  :(

As for the Barrens.  The Barrens will always be th Barrens.   Nothing has really change.   Sure there are some graphical changes and landscape changes here and there..but the Barrens for the most part are still the same.

• kaliniskalinis Member Posts: 1,428

In lk maybe in cata aggro control is gonna be a huge thing. tanks wont be able to just spam aoe while everyone aoes them down. U are gonna have to cc and watch your threat.

Dps is gonna have ot learn to move and how not to take aggro from a tank. In lk thats a lost art. I know a hunter who whined the tank couldnt keep aggro off him in a dungeon once. I asked him why he didnt feing death and use misdirect. He told me threat wasnt his job it was tanks

He is gonna die alot in the new world of cata. Healers wont have the mana to just spam heal a dps who cant watch his threat and tanks wont have the ability to just hold aggro on everything like they can now. Its gonna be tougher if  u attack target tank isnt on or just start out spamming your biggest dps abilities or aoe u are gonna die.

As for this article its premature the new zones adn quests dont start till 4.0.03 , 4.0.01 just brought in the new ui and the new mechanics so this whole article doesnt really matter as the quests that change and the barrens will become 2 in 4.0.03

• LeviathonlxLeviathonlx Member Posts: 135

The updated world isn't in 4.0.1 and is actually just on the Beta still. 4.0.3 is what will bring the world changes.

• dcretindcretin Member Posts: 54

Originally posted by Leviathonlx

The updated world isn't in 4.0.1 and is actually just on the Beta still. 4.0.3 is what will bring the world changes.

Yeah this article confused the hell out of me since there's no mention at all of any kind of changes to Barrens in 4.0.1. I don't know if the author was talking about Barrens from a beta he's (or she's) in or if he basically just ran through the same damn Barrens that's always been there... I love mmorpg.com as a news source but their editorial staff could use some help.

• zaylinzaylin Member UncommonPosts: 794

Originally posted by Clocksimus

By mentioning GS the article lost all credibility.  I know I tend to be overly harsh about things but GS is simply one of the worse addons to hav ever been made and sadly became a standard.

GS doesn't tell Bob the Tank how to switch aggro and doesn't make Jill the Rogue understand what aggro is (I know aggro control has been long dead but still.)

From what i hear they are changing that in cataclysm,and going back to more of Classic WoW with CC/aggro and such.

• kingtommyboykingtommyboy Member Posts: 543

GS is the reason why I left the game 'u need betteh gearzscore to join'.. I don't know who invented GS but it took the fun out of wow, and also the chucknorris-yourmum-anal-community... it's just terrible. pitty cause the game itself is overall nice.

a game is supposed to be fun f°ck gearscore!

-------------------------------------------------------------------
    waiting for ... nothing..

• SonikFlashSonikFlash Member UncommonPosts: 561

[Mod Edit]

Stating your gearscore gives anyone with at least a passing knowledge of gearscore an idea of how far you've progressed in game with said character with out listing bosses killed and achievments earned.  In short, he gave us one line of text as opposed to an elongated list.

It's hillarious seeing peoples panties get wedgied at the first mention of gs.

• zaylinzaylin Member UncommonPosts: 794

Originally posted by kingtommyboy

GS is the reason why I left the game 'u need betteh gearzscore to join'.. I don't know who invented GS but it took the fun out of wow, and also the chucknorris-yourmum-anal-community... it's just terrible. pitty cause the game itself is overall nice.

a game is supposed to be fun f°ck gearscore!

YEP!

I was not around when GS got Big/required (IE I bought WOTLK at release).But When a buddy of mine (who is currently playing) told me all about GS and that it was being used as a Gating mechanic(so to speak) to get into instances I just shook my head and said "if I wanted to APPLY for somethin based on my stats,Id go play a professional sport". Dont get me wrong I KNOW you need Good Gear/Decent skill to succed at higher level dungeons in an MMO. You mite as well start playing math games lol.