Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

We are getting WoWablo 3 instead of Diablo 3

Comments

• mackdawg19mackdawg19 Member UncommonPosts: 842

First off Diablo 3 is Diablo 3, not WoW. Gameplay is alot different that what you will get with WoW. That being said, people need to understand this game semi-resembles WoW and pretty much every game Blizzard does because of one huge thing, it's called low-poly count. Blizzard does this so all there games are compatible across almost all systems. If you were expecting something else like high end graphics etc., you will not get that from Blizzard. And to be honest, I think it's a good thing. Blizzard is a business, and business's like to make money and profit. You can't profit from a MMO if your selling yourself short by reducing your playerbase because of computer specs. Take a step back and see it from that perspective, and you will see why every game Blizzard churns out looks similar. And it will never change, so are we done here? Or shall we make more posts about how much Diablo is like WoW. Also, just for giggles. When Blizzard made WoW, they did use alot of the systems Diablo uses such as sets, skills, and skill trees. It's pretty common for game companies to share systems across multiple games. Cheers!

• Necrite666Necrite666 Member UncommonPosts: 31

If they were to re-release D2 including HD graphics I would prefere it over this D3 crap.

Far to bright and coloful artwork for a dark fantasy game. Hurts my eyes.

I Hope they have mercy on us and at least release a limited edition coming with a pair of shades.

Having to djust the brigthness level of my monitor each time i play would suck big time.

I hate WoW and what it has done to the MMO genre.

• GothikaboyGothikaboy Member UncommonPosts: 119

Originally posted by SaintViktor

They look nothing alike and if some think they do take the rose colored glasses off. Diablo never ever looked like Warcraft until now.

Diablo 2 - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PuRLAuLuj9A

Warcraft - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fxwSdjitqfs

He wasn't comparing D2 with WC3.

WC2 or SC.

Starcraft looks like the new diablo as it does with the old warcraft with a few upgrades.

Please do not hype any gam.. oh wait, nevermind... forgot what forum I was on.

• StonedeyeStonedeye Member UncommonPosts: 13

Well,hello!

Is my first time here and maybe the last.Like an introduction i'm an Diablo fan series and i've played those games since start.When b.net has started ive been there since 2000 to actual ladder,every ladder 10 years ( last 7years only on hardcore).

I found on this site one of the most horrible comunity .The common words here are only "fail","hater","fanboy" "hype" started from the self-called "hardcore-elitist" gamers.Looks like u guys wait to bash every game and from my point of view , the MMORPG era is in continue regression bcs of this kind of people..For me is simple, games are maded to be played and have fun,when is not fun anymore im moving on another one.Games is an industry, was maded to make money ,even u liked or not this is the truth.About my favourite game i  want to take some points:

Diablo1 was maded as an pure dungeon crawler.Nothing more nothing less.From construction the game was darker bcs u got only underground levels without sunlight.

On Diablo2 u got  the same reason on dungeons and caves but on surface maps bcs of the old technology and shitty resolution  u maybe didnt realise but looks the same as Diablo 3 screens if u can try to imagine D2 on 1920x1200 resolution,maybe worst.

About cartoonish characters on D3,maybe u'll need a test,see pls character-creation screen on D2 and compare with D3 one.Characters have more similarities than differences.In my opinion they really tried to cover the lines even is not anymore Blizzard North.As a player who faces almost day by day Diablo 2 i'm not dissapointed with that.

I loved every D2 class and i've played all of them year by year and u think guys after 10 years of continous playing Im dissapointed about not being in D3? No! I'm very happy to try the new classes. As far as Blizzard will deliver pure fast-paced action , solid game-play and the adrenaline rush on hardcore mode i'll enjoy every moment.The only point who worried me on D3 was pvp arenas since ive enjoyed every PK kill on open world but if the rest of game is going right , i can live with that.

About the guys who rant about crossbows firing as automatic rifles im just laughing.Why the hell barb can spinning arround on whirlwind? is that real? hell no.Ama can split 1 arrow from her bow in 24+ arrows. Is that real?well..no, or a sorc firing her frost or fire bolts from an old rusty sword. No, it's not real. In Diablo world everything is possbile

Believe me or not i've been one of the Bill Ropes&co followers,i've played  Hellgate London a game with great ideas but bad decisions and after Torchlight who tried to re-invent the old good dungeon crawler,was fun for the moment but have no essence.After all i was dissapointed and came back on D2 the best action-rpg from my opinion.

As conclusion  some of u might take a breath of fresh-air,get away a while from ur sanctuary called MMORPG site, meet some friends if u got and after just go and play what u like and enjoy every moment.Life is short and deserve to be lived

ps: Sorry if i wrote something wrong but english is not my native language

• JetrpgJetrpg Member UncommonPosts: 2,347

My iussue is the small groups, whats up with that i have more than 4 e-gammers .... what is this the 80s?

"Society in every state is a blessing, but government even in its best state is but a necessary evil; in its worst state an intolerable one ..." - Thomas Paine

• devouxdevoux Member Posts: 86

Has anyone mentioned that Diablo 2 was released in 2000 and the expansion (which is what I played mostly online) was released in 2001? Blizzard would've taken some idea's from Warcraft but they would be minor in reference to characters. If anything World of Warcraft took idea's from Diablo 2. Keep in mind that they are the same F***ing company of course its going to match up in a lot of ways. Similar minds, similar games. ALSO keep in mind that prreeetty much every p2p game out there is the same in terms of quest system, interface, xp system, character party system, leveling system. Ya pretty much everything system out there.

Moral is, stop being such a turd and get on with your life.

• midmagicmidmagic Member Posts: 614

Originally posted by devoux

Has anyone mentioned that Diablo 2 was released in 2000 and the expansion (which is what I played mostly online) was released in 2001?

Its funny. When WoW first came out, people whined quite a bit about how the green equipment was "copy/paste" of Diablo 2 (ability modifiers in the name of the item) and did not belong in an MMO world.

There is always some group that will whine about any decision made.

Forever looking for employment. Life is rather dull without it.

• ThomasN7ThomasN7 87.18.7.148Member CommonPosts: 6,690

Originally posted by Ramonski7

I never expected Diablo 3 to look like a carbon copy of 10 years ago but yet I did not expect it to look WoW either. From the art style to the lore it is all coming from Warcraft. I mean my god is this Diablo fans have really been waiting for ? The 5th class reveal looks like Sylvanas Windrunner with crossbows. I'm just waiting for the term "dark lady watch over us" spill out on a Demon Hunter cutscene. It really is a major disappointment how Blizzard is treating Diablo. Some things they have done well liek the rune system and the gems but overall its a big disappointment from a Diablo fans perspective. I'm seriously on the fence if I should even buy it now.

This is up there with the rest of the "I hate Blizzard's success with WoW and it's rubbing off on my other Blizzard IP!" crowd. If you look at the actual gameplay videos (not crappy still pics cause they don't do any game justice), you'll be hard press to see how it looks anything like WoW. So they give a nod to Sylvana Windrunner huh? Big deal. I mean they are both rangers right? Well one is a demon hunter and the other is a ranger, but then again I bet you caught the double nod about the class being called a demon hunter (something only Sylvana's race to strive to be).Or did you?  But isn't this game call Diablo? So wouldn't it make since that sooner or later a class would pop up that specialized in "hunting" demons? You know, hunters that use range weapons...

Anyway I think your real beef is that Blizzard is using illustrators that have done previous work for them with WoW, on the Diablo side of things. And I hope that's your real beef because you do know you can play a MR. Sylvana Windrunner right?

How can I hate when i been a Diablo and Starcraft fan for many years ? Stop downplaying  it as hate because hate has nothing to do with it. Can't deal with others opinions then perhaps forum posting is not for you.

• Ramonski7Ramonski7 Member UncommonPosts: 2,662

Originally posted by Ramonski7

I never expected Diablo 3 to look like a carbon copy of 10 years ago but yet I did not expect it to look WoW either. From the art style to the lore it is all coming from Warcraft. I mean my god is this Diablo fans have really been waiting for ? The 5th class reveal looks like Sylvanas Windrunner with crossbows. I'm just waiting for the term "dark lady watch over us" spill out on a Demon Hunter cutscene. It really is a major disappointment how Blizzard is treating Diablo. Some things they have done well liek the rune system and the gems but overall its a big disappointment from a Diablo fans perspective. I'm seriously on the fence if I should even buy it now.

This is up there with the rest of the "I hate Blizzard's success with WoW and it's rubbing off on my other Blizzard IP!" crowd. If you look at the actual gameplay videos (not crappy still pics cause they don't do any game justice), you'll be hard press to see how it looks anything like WoW. So they give a nod to Sylvana Windrunner huh? Big deal. I mean they are both rangers right? Well one is a demon hunter and the other is a ranger, but then again I bet you caught the double nod about the class being called a demon hunter (something only Sylvana's race to strive to be).Or did you?  But isn't this game call Diablo? So wouldn't it make since that sooner or later a class would pop up that specialized in "hunting" demons? You know, hunters that use range weapons...

Anyway I think your real beef is that Blizzard is using illustrators that have done previous work for them with WoW, on the Diablo side of things. And I hope that's your real beef because you do know you can play a MR. Sylvana Windrunner right?

How can I hate when i been a Diablo and Starcraft fan for many years ? Stop downplaying  it as hate because hate has nothing to do with it. Can't deal with others opinions then perhaps forum posting is not for you.

That's like a grain of salt coming from a forum equivalent of a conversational rambler. Who is the one that can exactly deal with another person's opinion? You basically said that D3 was a carbon copy of WoW's graphics and myself along with a substantial amount of Diablo fans posted responds by pretty much saying we think you have your "WoW Influence Detection" goggles on too tight.

Both games ARE from the same freakin company. I'm sure you can spot a Bioware game from a Bethesda game. You know why right.....right. So why is it a suprise now that you think a Blizzard game won't feel like a Blizzard game? I think you've been irritated by Blizzard to the point that you want a totally different company to make D3. But that's not gonna happen. Blizzard has 3 IPs in 3 genres:

• Starcraft-RTS genre

• Warcraft-MMO genre

• Diablo-Action RPG genre

But what you don't want to realize is that the RPG moniker links Warcraft and Diablo on more than one level and the fact that their both from the same company takes that a step further. Either you like Blizzard or you don't. But don't think that if you date two different sisters from the same family, you won't run into any familiar situations in your "new" relationship.

"Small minds talk about people, average minds talk about events, great minds talk about ideas."

• 190100190100 Member UncommonPosts: 52

Blizzard needs to fire whoever came up with the idea to use fugly WoW-style toon graphics. This isn't 1999.

I like realism, kthx.

• Frostbite05Frostbite05 Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 1,880

Originally posted by 190100

Blizzard needs to fire whoever came up with the idea to use fugly WoW-style toon graphics. This isn't 1999.

I like realism, kthx.

Yup once realism becomes popular again we will talk.

• Laughing-manLaughing-man Member RarePosts: 3,654

I never expected Diablo 3 to look like a carbon copy of 10 years ago but yet I did not expect it to look WoW either.

I entirely agree OP

The game does not look dark or creepy or give me goose bumps in the cutscenes they've revield, I feel like I'm looking at the trailer to the burning crusade.

Diablo was dark, VERY dark, freakishly creepily dark, like disturbingly dark.

This looks... yes I'll say it, cartoonish, makes me laugh instead of the desired result.

• regubareguba Member Posts: 56

Hmm, I'm a little bit in the same boat as the OP. However, I guess I never really thought of it as WoW looking, but yes it is leaning much more towards cartoony than I would prefer. What I liked about the old Diablos was simply how DARK it was. I mean, the first two were very dark games. From what I've seen in trailers and gameplay footage it looks no where near as dark : / I'll still get it, because I'm sure it will be a blast. Just not the atmosphere I was hoping for.

• WolfenprideWolfenpride Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 3,988

Originally posted by Laughing-man

I never expected Diablo 3 to look like a carbon copy of 10 years ago but yet I did not expect it to look WoW either.

I entirely agree OP

The game does not look dark or creepy or give me goose bumps in the cutscenes they've revield, I feel like I'm looking at the trailer to the burning crusade.

This looks... yes I'll say it, cartoonish, makes me laugh instead of the desired result.

Normally I try not to let graphics bother me, but I do agree in the case of Diablo, it feels like they're ruining the dark/horror feel that the first two games had.

Part of what made Diablo unique, at least for me, was it's scary atmosphere.

• twruletwrule Member Posts: 1,251

Originally posted by Wolfenpride

Originally posted by Laughing-man

I entirely agree OP

Normally I try not to let graphics bother me, but I do agree in the case of Diablo, it feels like they're ruining the dark/horror feel that the first two games had.

Part of what made Diablo unique, at least for me, was it's scary atmosphere.

While I agree, I'm thinking that has less to do with the art style and more with the removal of the "light radius" mechanic.  Atleast, none of the screenshots seem to show that mechanic in place, but it could just be that they keep it off for exhibition purposes /shrug.

• mlambert890mlambert890 Member UncommonPosts: 136

I see what people are saying to some extent, but I also think that whats really happening is the inevitable power of nostalgia.  

Gaming franchises with a huge IP are damned if they do, damned if they dont.  If they never produce a sequel, people pine endlessly for one.  If they do, it is forced to compete with whatever personal, emotional, historic bond the fans have with the original.  An impossible task.  Nearly everyone is incapable of being objective with this, even if they *really* believe they are.

I was already an adult when I played Diablo.  It didnt seem "dark", "disturbing" or "scary" at all.  It looked liked little tiny, really well detailed, cartoons hacking away at each other.  Great game, but it was like Gauntlet on SUPER steroids to me.  Great art style, but it was still an isometric action dungeon crawler.

I agree that the art style has changed a bit, but to anyone with *zero* familiarity with the franchise, I am almost *certain* they'd see almost no difference.  To anyone whose memories of the original are *that* strong, I ask that you, for your own good, take a step back and consider where you were when you played it.  If you were an 11 year old sneaking game time in after mom and dad went to sleep, and now you are a cynical, jaded 21 year old arch gamer, PLEASE for the love of all that is unholy ACKNOWLEDGE that there is a CHANCE this is effecting your perception.  I know I know... You're objective, Im wrong, blah blah... LOL  Go poll a dozen non gamers and show them two screenshots and see if they agree with you that the difference is worth endless crusading and debate.

• sonoggisonoggi Member Posts: 1,119

what he said ^

plus D3's design is a lot darker than LoD. powers in D3 are animated with a lot more detail and colour, which is what may be deceiving some eyes. environments look a lot more realistic and are better lit. D3 has a much less dungeon-ey look to it, which is a good thing.

what I love about D3 are the classes....they and their powers are just so creative.

• ThomasN7ThomasN7 87.18.7.148Member CommonPosts: 6,690

Originally posted by sonoggi

what he said ^

plus D3's design is a lot darker than LoD. powers in D3 are animated with a lot more detail and colour, which is what may be deceiving some eyes. environments look a lot more realistic and are better lit. D3 has a much less dungeon-ey look to it, which is a good thing.

what I love about D3 are the classes....they and their powers are just so creative.

The skills D3 characters get are all  WoW redesigned skills or the same WoW skills. Wizard gets incinerate as does the Warlock , Witch Doctor gets locust swarm while the WoW druid gets insect swarm and so on. I think the only really unique character in D3 is the monk.

• ReagenLionelReagenLionel Member Posts: 4

Diablo and WoW did share some aspects from one another.

WoW used some sounds and music from D2

Chain Lightning that was a spell of the sorceress in D2, is used by Shaman in WoW ( with same exact machanics and animations)

The way Slots are used in Armor

Paladin and Druid works very very similar in both of the games.

There are even a couple of vanity pets of the last 2 bosses from D2 in WoW. Diablo and Baal.

im not surprised at all thay now things are brought from WoW into D3

• IrishoakIrishoak Member Posts: 633

I wouldn't buy it if I were you.

• ComanComan Member UncommonPosts: 2,178

How can people really be supprised? Blizzard has not release anything unique after Starcraft 1. They do release good games, but nothing really new or innovating for any genre. Infact they had not release a single new game for 6 years. Only WoW expansions and from 1998 they have not released a new IP, but only expanded on the Starcraft, Warcraft and Diablo IP's.

Let's hope the new MMO will actually have it own new canon, because Blizzard is actually good at that...or was good at that.

• ArnstrongArnstrong Member Posts: 281

Originally posted by expresso

Oh look saintvikor is less than enthuisatic comment about a Blizzard product.. such a surprise.

So saintviktor was at Blizzcon playing the Diablo 3 beta ? Or did he just happen to see a trailer?

btw: the trailer of the demon hunter was made with the SC2 engine (see interview at Blizzcon).

That would make it "Wowablosc".

• FoomerangFoomerang Member UncommonPosts: 5,628

Sounds like it could be a case of high fantasy burnout.

• ShadusShadus Member UncommonPosts: 669

Looks diablo to me. Shrug. I hope they did take the good things from wow... i hope they took good things they found anywhere. I don't want a stagnant game design from 10 years ago.

Shadus

• TillerTiller Member LegendaryPosts: 11,163

Actually it's nice to see Blizzard getting back to doing what they were good at. D1 and D2 were hecka fun and I wasted hours in those games. This one looks like it will be just as fun, but for a new day and age.

SWG Bloodfin vet
    Elder Jedi/Elder Bounty Hunter