Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

World of Warcraft: Seven Reasons Cataclysm Could Suck

MikeBMikeB Community ManagerAdministrator RarePosts: 6,555

In today's The List column, MMORPG.com's Bill Murphy shares with us seven (tongue planted firmly in cheek) reasons that Cataclysm, the third expansion to Blizzard's massive World of Warcraft, could actually suck.

For Ages Four and Up

This one comes courtesy of Garrett Fuller.  Recently he sat down to play WoW with his four year old son, thinking that he’d have to show him the ropes and maybe do the steering around the game for the wee little tot.  But apparently, in its ongoing efforts to make sure WoW is user-friendly, Blizzard has made their game the MMO equivalent of a Playskool toy.  It’s not necessarily a bad thing, I mean it does seem to be a part of their massive global success.  But at what point does playing a game become too simplistic?  I vote for once a big red button instantly kills all enemies on the server (which may or may not be included in the next expansion).

Read more of The List.

Comments

• VirusDancerVirusDancer Member UncommonPosts: 3,649

Four of the items on the list could have been given as examples of issues with players - those issues are not really specific to the game itself.

In regard to the other three, one is a genre issue and even stated as such.

That leaves us with two of them...which tie into two of the common debates with WoW:

• It was better.

• Playskool.

For both of these, you could provide the same examples to both sides of the discussions and they will say the complete opposite that the other is saying.

I miss the MMORPG genre. Will a developer ever make one again?

Explorer: 87%, Killer: 67%, Achiever: 27%, Socializer: 20%

• SebaliSebali Member UncommonPosts: 395

"issues with players" is the main reason alot of people have stopped playing WoW. now theyre just making it easier for those "players" to cause "issues"

• OzmodanOzmodan Member EpicPosts: 9,726

Actually while the leveling process has been simplified, the raiding process is heading back to the more complex.  Current raid strategy is to pull everything and aoe like mad.  Cataclysm is going to change that back to the days when you had to use crowd control.  Going to be a big change for many who never did any raiding at the 60 level.

• BeansnBreadBeansnBread Member EpicPosts: 7,254

Is your four year old looking for a raiding guild?

We need a healer.

• MorninglordMorninglord Member UncommonPosts: 15

I Still believe and have read many times, WoW in itself is a great game, it's the community that brings it down.

• VirusDancerVirusDancer Member UncommonPosts: 3,649

Originally posted by Sebali

"issues with players" is the main reason alot of people have stopped playing WoW. now theyre just making it easier for those "players" to cause "issues"

Swarms of Goblins emoting, Worgen mailbox dancing, idiots spamming idiotic things in general, and players rolling on gear that might be a better upgrade for another player is a reason to quit WoW?

Would have thought it would have been the other three:

• End Game consists of repetitive grind or a case of alt-itis.

• Nostalgia or fact, the game used to be better.

• So easy a caveman's grandchildren could play it.

Those are the reasons I generally see people stating they are quitting, have quit, or are just complaining about.

As for "now theyre just making it easier"... how have they made it easier?  The reforging thing?  The whole Huntard thing was off-base, as you are going to have various classes rolling on items that they can reforge which will give them an upgrade.  That is a good thing and not something to be lumped in with how it was portrayed.

I miss the MMORPG genre. Will a developer ever make one again?

Explorer: 87%, Killer: 67%, Achiever: 27%, Socializer: 20%

• rodingorodingo Member RarePosts: 2,870

Originally posted by colddog04

We need a healer.

Lol, that is classic

"If I offended you, you needed it" -Corey Taylor

• astrob0yastrob0y Member Posts: 702

We need a healer.

haha. full of win in that one. 

and no. barrens chat is not a thing that will suck. hopefully it will back with full force (and that you will get a achi for it as well).

I7@4ghz, 5970@ 1 ghz/5ghz, water cooled||Former setups Byggblogg||Byggblogg 2|| Msi Wind u100

• TweFojuTweFoju Member UncommonPosts: 1,235

the Hunter part never gets old

hahah

So What Now?

• The user and all related content has been deleted.

If in danger or in doubt, run in circles scream and shout!

• Aison2Aison2 Member CommonPosts: 624

A reason raiding will suck:

T11 looks ugly for 70% of the classes. Rogue looks like santa after a visit in Arabian Nights

Pi*1337/100 = 42

• mklinicmklinic Member RarePosts: 1,976

Was it hard to keep the list to 7? j/k

The list is a fun read, but many of the items are present today. I mean trade chat is the equivalent of Barrens chat back in the day, hunters tend to roll inappropriately, and, if I am reading right, the 4 year-old was playing the current version of WoW. So, are these really reasons the xpac would suck or are these reasons for disliking the current game?

Other then that, yeah I can see mobs of angry Goblin Engineer DKs or Rogues in the future....with pink hair.

-mklinic

"Do something right, no one remembers.
    Do something wrong, no one forgets"
    -from No One Remembers by In Strict Confidence

• MilliecakeMilliecake Member Posts: 90

Five levels then back to grinding daily heroics with AOE spam due to overgearing before the second tier even hits.

Ten player raids because no one except the very rare guilds do the harder 25 player.

More shiny stuff in the cash shop for those with bigger wallets than game time.

Oh wait, these were meant to be silly reasons?? Doh.

• EricDanieEricDanie Member UncommonPosts: 2,238

They needed to add a remodel system or something like GW2 transmutation (well, except for the pay to use part since WoW already has a monthly subscription).

You take the item with the cool stats and merge it with an item with the cool appearance, effectively making a fully cool equipment, instead of being bound to a standard look at every new equipment upgrade that you may not like and yet you will use it because it is a higher item level.

• EmotionsEmotions Member UncommonPosts: 333

and I’m just hoping Blizzard will one day be the ones to figure out what “more” is.

I already know what "more" is ... and maybe someday ill show it to you :)

• The user and all related content has been deleted.

If in danger or in doubt, run in circles scream and shout!

• CujoSWAoACujoSWAoA Member UncommonPosts: 1,781

My four year old nephew sat at my Brother's computer 3 years ago and he'd go around smashing mobs all over the place. Albeit he was playing my  brother's level 80, he still knew how the combat system worked and how to kill things.  He'd pull out the mount, ride it around, he'd hop onto the Auto-Transport things and catch rides to other areas of the map... He'd even join parties and follow them around smashing the shit out of things with them.

I'm not saying he could do everything, but the core elements, my 4 year old nephew had down, yeah.

• SarajielSarajiel Member Posts: 4

Really a nice read, but the list seems a bit odd since it didn't really touch the fears and worries people mentioned on several official forums already.

Cultural shock in the heroic 5-man dungeons at level 85. Going from mindless AoE-zerging to thoughtful CC, interrupts, careful pulling, mana-breaks etc. will probably alienate parts of the current "ogogog!1!!11!11one1one" playerbase.

Many of the old low-poly character models look quite dated already (e.g. humans and dwarves). Watching them in Stormwind with all the new and fancy stuff might turn many people turn away or annoy them after some time.

Bugs! The current patch 4.0.1 feels more like a paid beta than a game. I'm not talking about the unbalanced classes, but just about all those small and not so small bugs that take away the fun of playing at the moment (e.g. d/c after zoning into an instanced dungeon or dungeons aren't found at all). No matter how popular WoW is and how forgiving Blizzard's fans are in general, I really doubt they will attract many new or old players, if the game is unplayable at launch.

• ArachynneArachynne Member Posts: 2

We need a healer.

ROFLMAO!!  ^^this!

Arachynne, 80 Holy Priest
    Elynea, 80 Balance Druid
    Onaala, 80 Fire Mage
    Anaise, 80 Frost DK
    Janali, 20 and counting...

• anielianieli Member Posts: 114

We want Chuck back! Now even the alliance can have the cool thing that is the barrens general chat :D

• kaliniskalinis Member Posts: 1,428

Id say some of these reasons are what will make cataclysm so cool. I for one love goblins. Wait till u do there starting area. its a blast. Gf has beta.  Worgen are awesome. what players do with them is well there problem not mine.

The new world will be so much more fun.They have changed some zones levels on horde one of my fav areas to level was thousand needles on ally i found out i couldnt quest there. What a bummer. No wi can quest thousand needles as an ally woot.

Barrens chat never went aaay it just migrated to trade chat.  U went from chuck norris jokes to anal this anal that.  Or your momma jokes.

Cataclyms will make leveling an alt even more fun. I have run winterspring and felwood, tanaris and stranglethorn so many times im starting to get bored of those areas. Ive doen dustwallow alot and ive done ungor alot also.

I for one cant wait for the new zones im holding off making me a lock until 4.0.03 hits and i can experiance all the new zones myself.

• KadiaKadia Member Posts: 30

They really need to give the old races a facellift or else azeroth will be 90% worgen,blood elves and goblins.

• AmarandesAmarandes Member Posts: 104

I can tell you with confidence that you will not be disappointed with the level 1-60 zones.

• kikinchazkikinchaz Member UncommonPosts: 562

Well this was an article clearly designed solely for hits, pretty shameful guys!

• ThomasN7ThomasN7 87.18.7.148Member CommonPosts: 6,690

8. It isn't the Lich King. He was an iconic character that Blizzard turned into a raid, How sad.

I don't know. I'm a simple guy, I like simple things but there does come a point in time when too simple becomes too easy and too boring.