Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Who else would like to see some basic kill/gather/craft quests in Mortal Online?

Joseph_KerrJoseph_Kerr Member RarePosts: 1,113

Who else would like to see some basic kill/gather/craft quests in Mortal Online?

PS - i messed my last post up, sorry.

Comments

• ToferioToferio Member UncommonPosts: 1,411

In before the usual phobia of quests. I for one would welcome quests in MO, would finally give me something to do while I wait for them to add any sandbox tools. Well made quests are fine, as long as they are not WoW style "go fetch/kill", but hell, I would even do them too to avoid being bored.

• BlindchanceBlindchance Member UncommonPosts: 1,112

Quests are linear content after you finish them, they are good for nothing. Additonally they require a lot of work. Even Blizzard with its army of code monkeys and design people can't add quest, level based content faster then player get through it.

I rather have SV use their brains to add create enjoyable AND replayable game content around various PROFITABLE proffesions, economy and territorial ownership. Something what would motivate players to fight over land and resources.

However I can see place for repeatable missions like from EVE, Mount and Blade: Warband or Firefall. Missions which rewards would benefit you and affect the game world ( boost economy of a local village, town, wipe out the local population of wisets etc. ).

Tutorial missions wouldn't be a bad idea either: how to gather resources, how to craft weapons, hunt etc. 

• MOstyleMOstyle Member Posts: 33

Originally posted by Blindchance

Quests are linear content after you finish them, they are good for nothing. Additonally they require a lot of work. Even Blizzard with its army of code monkeys and design people can't add quest, level based content faster then player get through it.

I rather have SV use their brains to add create enjoyable AND replayable game content around various PROFITABLE proffesions, economy and territorial ownership. Something what would motivate players to fight over land and resources.

your points hit exactly the nail on the head. this game need short and long terms of entertaining to become enjoyable. you should fight for something worth. you should craft the (best) equipment to defend. you should enjoy staying in taverns to relax. etc.

that and some stuff more should added otherwise we will see inanimated world.

• BlindchanceBlindchance Member UncommonPosts: 1,112

Originally posted by MOstyle

Originally posted by Blindchance

your points hit exactly the nail on the head. this game need short and long terms of entertaining to become enjoyable. you should fight for something worth. you should craft the (best) equipment to defend. you should enjoy staying in taverns to relax. etc.

that and some stuff more should added otherwise we will see inanimated world.

Dynamic world which can be affect even by a single player is one of the strongest points of sandbox games, I hope SV understands it.

• ange10ange10 Member Posts: 307

whats the poing of even having quests in a mmo??? they are boring as fuck.

• username509username509 Member CommonPosts: 635

Originally posted by ange10

Yes that's true...

Who the hell wants to kill another 10 rats and get a reward for it.. That shit gets old REAL fast!

However having quests for starting noobs to teach them the basics of combat crafting, and other game mechanics is a good idea and will probably be implemented in the coming months...

Never trust a screenshot or a youtube video without a version stamp!

• Slapshot1188Slapshot1188 Member LegendaryPosts: 16,982

Originally posted by username509

Yes that's true...

Who the hell wants to kill another 10 rats and get a reward for it.. That shit gets old REAL fast!

This is different from killing 20 Wisents to farm gold... in what way?

All time classic  MY NEW FAVORITE POST!  (Keep laying those bricks)

"I should point out that no other company has shipped out a beta on a disc before this." - Official Mortal Online Lead Community Moderator

Proudly wearing the Harbinger badge since Dec 23, 2017. 

Coined the phrase "Role-Playing a Development Team" January 2018

"Oddly Slap is the main reason I stay in these forums." - Mystichaze April 9th 2018

• mrw0lfmrw0lf Member Posts: 2,269

Originally posted by Slapshot1188

Yes that's true...

The difference is choice. I'm not defending the game, I was just thinking of my reply to the thread in general and begun to think about SWG with regards to the very, very simplistic and largely mundane terminal quests.

For crafting, the quests are a decent starting point, they should never, ever be the focus of  crafting though. For resource collection from animals it's a nice addon but it shouldn't be necassary. Story arc quests for me are a non starter, I want a living, interactive world not a story book, the 2 aren't mutually exclusive but if we are talking priorities here I would say a lot of the players interested in MO would put that quite near the bottom, but that's just supposition on my part.

So for me the difference to grinding mobs in MO to the standard "kill x mobs" in all mmo's is the matter of choice, it's a nice short term goal on a play session but it's not the primary focus of the hunting.

For me a lot of the foundation for a great game is there, I'm just no longer convinced the dev team are capable of fulfilling that potential though. It has nothing to do with techinical ability, it's more a matter of vision, I no longer feel they have the final vision for the game I would like to see, but hey that's not say it's that way for everyone. It's just so frustrating when I see all those funamentals in place.

-----
    “The person who is certain, and who claims divine warrant for his certainty, belongs now to the infancy of our species.”

• Slapshot1188Slapshot1188 Member LegendaryPosts: 16,982

Originally posted by mrw0lf

Originally posted by Slapshot1188

Yes that's true...

The difference is choice. I'm not defending the game, I was just thinking of my reply to the thread in general and begun to think about SWG with regards to the very, very simplistic and largely mundane terminal quests.

For crafting, the quests are a decent starting point, they should never, ever be the focus of  crafting though. For resource collection from animals it's a nice addon but it shouldn't be necassary. Story arc quests for me are a non starter, I want a living, interactive world not a story book, the 2 aren't mutually exclusive but if we are talking priorities here I would say a lot of the players interested in MO would put that quite near the bottom, but that's just supposition on my part.

So for me the difference to grinding mobs in MO to the standard "kill x mobs" in all mmo's is the matter of choice, it's a nice short term goal on a play session but it's not the primary focus of the hunting.

For me a lot of the foundation for a great game is there, I'm just no longer convinced the dev team are capable of fulfilling that potential though. It has nothing to do with techinical ability, it's more a matter of vision, I no longer feel they have the final vision for the game I would like to see, but hey that's not say it's that way for everyone. It's just so frustrating when I see all those funamentals in place.

See that's just my point... who says that if you have basic quests it in any way takes away your choice to just go grind?  Take crafting for example.  Why not have some basic work orders to help beginner crafters out?  Maybe the "weapon vendor" who will sell basic weapons eventually would give a quest to a beginner crafter to make 10 axe heads.

This fits into the lore, doesn't disrupt the economy, and gives people starting out (or even those just grinding for skill) some short-term goal to focus on and make a few coins.

Same for the anilmal kills.  Instead of grinding on Winsents all day for gold.. what if the vendor who purchases their parts would actually be looking for different animal parts every day or so?   You could still go grind all you want... or maybe for a change you would go and help the vendor out and get something from Springboks....

No one is saying MO needs an epic storyline quest... but there is currently very little difference between the old "Kill X" quests and grinding on X mobs for cash... giving someone a choice is usually a good thing.

All time classic  MY NEW FAVORITE POST!  (Keep laying those bricks)

"I should point out that no other company has shipped out a beta on a disc before this." - Official Mortal Online Lead Community Moderator

Proudly wearing the Harbinger badge since Dec 23, 2017. 

Coined the phrase "Role-Playing a Development Team" January 2018

"Oddly Slap is the main reason I stay in these forums." - Mystichaze April 9th 2018