Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

STO - Standard of Non-Excellence?

WarmakerWarmaker Member UncommonPosts: 2,246

I decided to browse around for reviews of FF XIV.  Things not looking good for Square Enix's product now but I came across this little gem from Gamespy.

"Cons:

Worst user interface in a PC game since 1998; every aspect of game unnecessarily convoluted; feels like a free-to-play MMO in the very worst way.

Pros:

Not quite Star Trek Online bad."

As bad as things are for FF XIV, it's just not as bad as the comedy that is STO.

"I have only two out of my company and 20 out of some other company. We need support, but it is almost suicide to try to get it here as we are swept by machine gun fire and a constant barrage is on us. I have no one on my left and only a few on my right. I will hold." (First Lieutenant Clifton B. Cates, US Marine Corps, Soissons, 19 July 1918)

Comments

• raistalin69raistalin69 Member Posts: 575

makes you wonder how truly bad neverwinter is going to be. i dont want it to be bad, i love d&d, but this is cryptic after all.

you know you have a bad reputation in the gaming market when 80% or more of people say your next game is going to be bad before even seeing a screenshot.

i wonder when atari will realize its the ceo at cryptic, and that nothing will change there until they finish completely gutting the management team.

IF THE ONLY DEFENCE FOR CRITICISM OF A GAME IS CALLING SOMEONE A TROLL OR HATER, THAT SAYS A LOT ABOUT THE QUALITY OF THE GAME

• LohdownLohdown Member UncommonPosts: 78

EDIT: I removed what I originally posted as I lost focus and it didn't pertain to this thread.

I tried STO and FFXIV in open beta.  Overall, they are both terrible games.  However, I saw things in FFXIV that I liked so I bought it and am playing it.  I saw nothing in STO I liked, so I never bought it.  I have had more fun in the last 8 months reading the bashing of the game on these forums then I ever would have had in game.  So to me, FFXIV is exactly "Not quite Star Trek Online bad".

The moment I read "It's like" or "WoW" is the moment I stop reading your post.

• GdemamiGdemami Member EpicPosts: 12,342

Juvenile ranting of some imbecile... That cannot be considered a review nor be taken seriously. It is just a pile of garbage having nothing to do with writing or even journalism.

It is astonishing what some people are paid for.

• KabaalKabaal Member UncommonPosts: 3,042

Originally posted by Gdemami

Juvenile ranting of some imbecile... That cannot be considered a review nor be taken seriously. It is just a pile of garbage having nothing to do with writing or even journalism.

Regardles, it still made me chuckle.

• WarmakerWarmaker Member UncommonPosts: 2,246

Originally posted by Gdemami

As far as that FF XIV link goes, feel free to point out where the author did not discuss the merits / demerits of FF XIV.

The only part where he didn't was in the Pro's & Con's.  As bad as FF XIV was, it just wasn't as bad as STO.  It was hilarious, I tell 'ya.  Yes, he bashed Square Enix's new MMORPG, but it was still better off than Cryptic's travesty.

As the title I made for this thread goes, STO is a wonderful standard on how to f**k something up in the MMORPG genre.  Can you point out another review where the reviewer says a game isn't as bad as another, specifically named game?

"I have only two out of my company and 20 out of some other company. We need support, but it is almost suicide to try to get it here as we are swept by machine gun fire and a constant barrage is on us. I have no one on my left and only a few on my right. I will hold." (First Lieutenant Clifton B. Cates, US Marine Corps, Soissons, 19 July 1918)

• GdemamiGdemami Member EpicPosts: 12,342

Originally posted by Warmaker

As far as that FF XIV link goes, feel free to point out where the author did not discuss the merits / demerits of FF XIV.

The entire article is not about the game but emotional state and mental (dis)abilities of the author.

That is not a review.

• SuperXero89SuperXero89 Member UncommonPosts: 2,551

The difference between STO and FFXIV lies within the fact that it isn't only design decisions that are hurting FXIV at the moment.

• WolfenprideWolfenpride Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 3,988

I know this isn't the place to discuss it, but what was so bad about Star Trek online?

I played it using a buddy invite and found it enjoyable, if repetitive(Then again all mmo's are). And it didn't seem like it had many technical issues.