Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

A word of advice/warning

GruntyGrunty Member EpicPosts: 8,657

This is especially of note for those who pay for their internet use by the amount of gigabytes downloaded/uploaded or who don't want to experience network latency because their entire upload capacity is taken over.

Zentia use Akamai Net Session Interface as a  hidden peer to peer file sharing application to distribute it's game to other gamers. You can read a thread I started about this in the Lego Universe forum here. 

http://www.mmorpg.com/discussion2.cfm/thread/273122/Ramblings-on-discoveries-in-Task-Manager.html

"I used to think the worst thing in life was to be all alone.  It's not.  The worst thing in life is to end up with people who make you feel all alone."  Robin Williams

Comments

• jeanmarie2jeanmarie2 Member Posts: 8

this game is also full of win 32 trojans i downloaded to test it and after playing 200 interent windows opened and i didnt realise it was even from the game. i assumed id gotten a virus someplace and system restored cleaned cookies etc,,well last night i tried to log in and had some type of log in error and it said to confirm my email i went to do that and the virus started acting up again that i thought i removed. i realised the connection to the zentia game but when i tried to uninstall it 263 internet windows opened up and my programs all started runing on their own. i disconnected my interent and managed to rip out every file associated w zentia or its maker company and deleted cookies system restored etc my virus scans showed a win32 trojan and some sort of trojan downlaoder ...now i seem ok but plz listen and stay away from this malware disgusied as a beta,,,,

• krondinkrondin Member UncommonPosts: 106

Hi all, heed this warning. I downloaded and installed this game and while i was installing it i found this forum post, so before i told the program to actually run i scanned it and found virus in it, a pop up scanner of some kind it said. LUCKILY i was able to completely remove all traces of this program from my computer before i ran it.  I wish companys, or those responsible < i downloaded it directly from the gamesite, not a 2cd source > could be held accountable for putting such viruses in your computer under the false pretence of being a game to play.

I DO NOT RECOMEND YOU DOWNLOAD OR INSTALL THIS GAME PROGRAM....BEWARE.

• GruntyGrunty Member EpicPosts: 8,657

The game Zentia does not install trojans or any other viruses.  I play this game.  It doesn't open hundreds of browser windows.  It doesn't have a virus. It went from closed beta to early open beta yesterday. All characters were wiped. The open beta servers are up and very busy with new avatars.

Akamai Net Session Interface is not a virus. It is a hidden peer to peer file sharing application that cannot be readily controlled by you. It is easy to control if you use the command line interface as stated in the post I linked to in the original post. The bad thing about Akamai Net Session Interface is it gobbles up all of your upload bandwidth while sharing the Zentia game files with other people downloading Zentia. Once you have installed the game you can uninstall Akamai.

Not because of any viruses or browser window openings.

Unlike Lego Universe they do now tell people on the download page of the use of Akamai and include uninstall directions.

Copy & Paste from the game sites download page:

"Our Direct Download link uses Akamai’s P2P Download Service to insure the fastest possible client download. Some Antivirus software may report this as a Trojan or Virus. Rest assured, this is NOT a Virus or Trojan. Once you have downloaded and installed the full client, you do not need to have the Akamai NetSession service installed. Zentia updates and patches itself without the need for Akamai’s software.

If you prefer, you may remove this software after you have downloaded and installed the game. To do so, follow these simple steps:

1. Open the Control Panel from your Start menu

2. Click on the Control Panel

3. On Windows Vista and 7, open “Programs and Features”. On Windows XP, open “Add or Remove Programs”

4. Find “Akamai NetSession Interface”, select it, and click the Uninstall button. Click Yes to the Warning popup. (Refer to the screenshot below)"
    "I used to think the worst thing in life was to be all alone.  It's not.  The worst thing in life is to end up with people who make you feel all alone."  Robin Williams
  • krondinkrondin Member UncommonPosts: 106

I understand what you are saying, however , if my antivirus reports to me a game file contains a virus, as mine did, i dont use it, i delete it.  I am an avid game player of multiple games which do not contain viruses as reported by my antivirus protection. So i will not play this game nor will i recomend it to anyone due to my antivirus protection told me it contained a virus.  Game looked cool/fun. Sadly i will never know for sure now cause i will not reinstall it or any other game by this company. I'd rather be safe then sorry.  Just not worth the risk to try a game when my antivirus reports to me that the file contained a virus. 

Play at your own risk........

• GTwanderGTwander Member UncommonPosts: 6,035

Did your antivirus pop up and say "you have a trojan, we recommend quarantine", or did it say "would you like to keep blocking this, as some programs contain trojans"? Some people have yet to make the distinction between the two.

Writer / Musician / Game Designer

Now Playing: Skyrim, Wurm Online, Tropico 4
    Waiting On: GW2, TSW, Archeage, The Rapture

• GruntyGrunty Member EpicPosts: 8,657

Your caution is valid. Any company would do well to not use programs that give false positives to virus scans. They lose business that way. And when a false positive is determined a customer oriented company would take care to eliminate that. The false positive is from the Akamai Netsession Interface software not Zentia.

If you want to double check my 'no virus' statement, go to the Zentia official forums. There isn't a single thread talking about viruses. There are a few individual posts within threads.

My post was more as a response to the jeanmarie2 one. The reason I replied now is because I don't lurk this forum. Just the Recently Posted page on this site and I saw your post.

this game is a piece of crap and loaded w trojans it does open 263 internet windows when u attempt to remove it and i dont know if that guy above is a GM for them or what but take my word for it its a pile of vicious malware inside of a game that just isnt all that good...i personally am just happy that i got this crap out and am trying priston tale 2 which is an awesome game so far and no problems w virses.

im a 42 yr old woman and ive been around the mmo block long enough to kno a trojan when i spend my weekend removing one...get real a false positive doesnt open every program u have and 263 internet windows upon trying to uninstall it.

the game is infested w malware and kiddish so stay away or back up your pc files because most people probably couldnt get this piece of crap out w/o a full reformat.

ive had many false positives and they certainly dont behave in that manner a false positive can happen but what i had is called a win 32 trojan and trojan downloader..thats not even getting into the fact that this company slides in a p2p in secret into your pc and then later trys to justify it only after its found by beta testers

a dishonest company and its games are not to be trusted and i dont care how good they are (or ARENT IMO)

No i found the trojans when 300 inernet windows opened and i thought i picked it up someplace online but the only place id been was zentia..i removed the offending trojans and noticed poor preformance of my internet again after opening zentia..and this was the only site id been too or new program id had..and upon connecting the dots i attempted to remove zentia and thats when all hell broke loose in my pc and i had the wonderful experience of removing all of that trash...

either way my own fault i turn off my vipre alot because its such a resource hog and apparantly hadnt scanned zentia before i opened all of that lovely malware into my pc....be warned tho this is NOT a FALSE POSITIVE its a trojan and i kno one when i get one...i have no reason to make this up im just a gamer and have noting personal against this company except for the sneaks low life stuff its doing to its customers. i wil never support any company that hides p2p software in its games nor one that sneaks in a pile of malware like i had to deal with.

i spend a fortune on games too so its their loss and if everyone else is like me they will take their hard earned cash to honest games then this place and its corrupted games will die...

• SusanRezSusanRez Member Posts: 10

Hi I am the Senior Producer for Zentia.

I understand your concern. What I suggest is dowloading the game from a mirror site instead of Akamai. I promise there will be no trojan warnings if done that way. It is the Akamai downloader that is causing the issue. The trojan warning is a false positive and only a result of some unfortunate software that Akamai installs.

SusanRez 

• junkroomjunkroom Member Posts: 82

I don't have the problem you mentioned, I downloaded the game about 1 weeks ago... Where did you download the game? 

• PhryPhry Member LegendaryPosts: 11,004

well, perhaps a lesson for the future is for companies not to use the akamai thing.. i use content filtering on my router, and akamai is one of the things filtered, because.. i thought akamai was some kind of dodgy app - not sure what it was that was causing it, but some time in the past i kept getting alert messages flagging akamai.. so whether or not its a virus is debateable, whether its something dodgy though..  well if it quacks like a duck, walks like a duck.. its probably a duck.

• frankahfrankah Member UncommonPosts: 73

I've been playing this game since the first rounf of CB. I've never once had a problem with viruses or anything remotely close to anything like that.

It sounds like someone had been viewing some 'no-no' sites. Either that, or someone had a virus, and it attached itself to the files Akamai was distributing.

But that's just my two cents.

• zellmerzellmer Member UncommonPosts: 442

Search around their site and find the OnRPG link instead, and then search around THAT site for the client.

Ignores all the stuff that should NEVER EVER be in a program, but still has some crap like "malware like" toolbars it wants you to install/change your default serach engine..

Still is 1 of the reasons why the game is so unpopulated/ignored...

• RBB1534RBB1534 Member Posts: 1

Oh good Lord.

This game's downloader might give you a firewall warning or A/V warning because it's a type of Peer-to-Peer (P2P) client.  I found no trojans or other types of viruses in the game program.

There's no reason to over-react.  Just follow the directions for downloading the game, and then follow the directions for uninstalling the downloader.  Won't most of us do this anyway?  I always do, simply because there's no reason to overload my system with unneeded programs.

This is actually a pretty fun game and it's FREE, so relax and enjoy yourselves.image

• YarunaYaruna Member Posts: 342

I didn't use Akamai and had no virus related issues. Only problem was the game graphics being crap at the start of the game. Character customisation is very limited to say the least. The day after the problem was gone. The grapics is still below par, and there's more quests out there than most care to complete, some quite the change from the kill so many this or that too.

Still, I'm not sure this is going to remain installed for very long. I guess I'm a sucker for good graphics. :P

Waiting for Guild Wars 2, and maybe SWTOR until that time...

• eyeswideopeneyeswideopen Member Posts: 2,414

Originally posted by grunty

This is especially of note for those who pay for their internet use by the amount of gigabytes downloaded/uploaded or who don't want to experience network latency because their entire upload capacity is taken over.

Zentia use Akamai Net Session Interface as a  hidden peer to peer file sharing application to distribute it's game to other gamers. You can read a thread I started about this in the Lego Universe forum here. 

http://www.mmorpg.com/discussion2.cfm/thread/273122/Ramblings-on-discoveries-in-Task-Manager.html

Someone needs to get on the asses of developers of downloaders like Akamai and Pando Media Booster. If the end user cannot disable a program easily from their end, then it is considered by definition to be malware. And especially when that program is designed to use up your bandwidth simply because the company using the program is to cheap to use their own bandwidth to distribute their game.

-Letting Derek Smart work on your game is like letting Osama bin Laden work in the White House. Something will burn.-
    -And on the 8th day, man created God.-

• freethinkerfreethinker Member UncommonPosts: 775

Originally posted by SusanRez

I understand your concern. What I suggest is dowloading the game from a mirror site instead of Akamai. I promise there will be no trojan warnings if done that way. It is the Akamai downloader that is causing the issue. The trojan warning is a false positive and only a result of some unfortunate software that Akamai installs.

SusanRez 

So, naturally, you removed Akamai as a download option, right?

==========================

• KinchyleKinchyle Member Posts: 309

Originally posted by SusanRez

SusanRez 

If people actually read about their virus programs, they'd know about false positives.

Not saying that the ppl are wrong here, but how about actually checking it out before posting "false positives"?

• KinchyleKinchyle Member Posts: 309

Originally posted by eyeswideopen

Originally posted by grunty

Someone needs to get on the asses of developers of downloaders like Akamai and Pando Media Booster. If the end user cannot disable a program easily from their end, then it is considered by definition to be malware. And especially when that program is designed to use up your bandwidth simply because the company using the program is to cheap to use their own bandwidth to distribute their game.

This...added to my last post.

Learn your PC...not just play on it