Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Opinion of AION.

lennpelllennpell Member UncommonPosts: 111

I am just creating this post, because I'm wondering about you former/current AION players opinion on the game. I am not asking for  hate and QQiness I am asking for constructive critisism, or support for the game. I am thinking about buying it because I am really into pvp, and I have litterally played every p2p game(and every half worthy f2p game) except for Conan, Everquest, and AION. I don't want to hear about imbalances or gold farmers either, I won't be playing to manipulate the economy or to get destroyed by one class or another...I will be there to kill and be killed it doesn't matter to me.

Thanks in advance!

Edit: Spelling

Comments

• PyrostasisPyrostasis Member UncommonPosts: 2,293

I played at release, it was fun stuff... real grindy though. I hear they have fixed the quest holes in the 30's, but it is definitely a slow go.

Long as you dont mind a rather nasty grind then the games great.

• JoliustJoliust Member Posts: 1,329

Fun game.

Felt solo oriented in my opinion. Makes group quest extremely frustrating though since so many people are so use to playing solo.

Sent me an email if you want me to mail you some pizza rolls.

• KokomoblKokomobl Member UncommonPosts: 153

I played on launch for around 4 months and quit.

I reactivated my account 2months ago too check out 1.9 and upcoming 2.0

You say you're into PvP... Kool, maybe this game would have suited you pre-2.0, where Twinks would roam the lands ambushing you or ganking you, without you having a chance unless way higher level or in good gear.

2.0 Arrives

Rifting has been nerfed, so if you Rift "Go through portals too the enemy lands" your damage is reduced a shit load meaning no point in pvp'ing "Or doing rifting quests"

Abyss PvP - Is where the twinks now roam or the higher levels so thats still not a good place to pvp unless you like a challenge.

Sieges - Good place to have abit of Mass Pvp if

1) your computer can handle the extreme low FPS laggyness of the broken Cry engine.

2) you dont constantly get Crashing Errors.

Dredgion PvP - mostly consists of AFK's who dont help your 6 vs 6 side unless it's pre-made Dredgion is boring.

End game PvP - If you can stick it out till the end get some good gear then you'll very much enjoy end game pvping in the new balaur lands and the forts "I find personally less laggy then the Abyss forts"

Aion has turned into mostly a PvE game tilll end game and while EXP / Drops / Quest rewards have been improved too get you to max level faster it's still lacking a tad bit.

Dont get me wrong 2.0 for Aion is vast improvement and I enjoy playing it but theres still just something missing.

• MadAddictMadAddict Member UncommonPosts: 76

Aion is good, it is a bit of a grind no question, but what mmo isnt? I see you mentioned Conan. Check it out too, it has come a very long way since release and i happen to like it. Lots of cool classes for pvp too.

• dreamscaperdreamscaper Member UncommonPosts: 1,592

The grind in Aion is no worse than vanilla WoW. It's probably less, actually. My poor druid had to run Scholomance nearly 50 times before she finally got her Wildheart Cowl).

Honestly, the only actual grinds in the game are some of the quests that have to be repeated multiple times.  I'm a current player on Israphael and it's my MMO of choice for the time being. It gets a lot of things right - fantastic character creation, beautiful visuals, great music, neatly segregated classes (WoW's class homogenization drives me up the wall), enjoyable quests, some of the best pvp available in current generation MMOs, and lots of little side attractions to keep you busy.

There are some downsides, though. The zoned world sometimes feels like you're on rails, and there's not nearly as much to explore as there should be. You also only have two races and eight classes  to choose from, and while I personally kind of like that, I know most people don't. Although the bot infestation that plagued the release is gone, the top-heavy economy means that prices are still rather inflated. The faction inbalance that still plagues some servers doesn't help this aspect any.

<3

• unbound55unbound55 Member UncommonPosts: 325

Enjoyed the game at launch.  Wasn't too bad overall until a few months in.  Since my friends and I weren't hardcore into fast leveling, PvP became problematic since the Abyss is free-for-all.  Wasn't uncommon in Abyss or several other zones to be insta-destroyed by those that leveled fast.  Good guild helps, but still a bit annoying.  Quests overall weren't too bad, but there were a few dead zones...and a number of the 30s quests were in Abyss and other PvP zones, which didn't bother me too much (part of the game), but definitely would tick off some people since ganking wasn't uncommon.

Economy was horrible.  You are required to port from zone to zone including for training and quests.  The primary problem is that quest rewards and drops would barely pay for those ports.  My understanding is that part of the game has been fixed.  Crafting was very grinding, but could produce some interesting gear.

Ended up quiting the game in the low 40s once it was very clear that PvP would be dominated by the highly geared toons that made 50 a month or so earlier...and I'm not hardcore enough to focus that hard on getting just the right gear to survive.

• laokokolaokoko Member UncommonPosts: 2,004

I don't know.  But I didn't get really far.  I think I get to around lvl35, but the grind is too horrible for me to continue.

• endersshadowendersshadow Member Posts: 296

Really grindy. PvP not exactly balanced.

Flying PvP imo is overrated.

Pve wasnt exactly fun either. The mobs were all to close, where you have to play the agro game.

The PvP was not even close to what I expected it to be, very zergy. 

Did I mention it was grindy?

My over all opinion is that the asian companies, this one being no different, dont really give a shit about there Western Audience. I was all pumped up for this game. I thought things would be better with NCWest and all that, ugh its not.

The good things, it ran stable, was very smooth and very reactive but the rest killed it for me.

Originally posted by MadAddict

Aion is good, it is a bit of a grind no question, but what mmo isnt? I see you mentioned Conan. Check it out too, it has come a very long way since release and i happen to like it. Lots of cool classes for pvp too.

What mmo isnt grindy? You are a funny guy.

Its not a bit of a grind, it drops to a dead HALT at EARLY points in the game

• PanDaZmOOPanDaZmOO Member UncommonPosts: 49

Aion is a good game.. It had its rough patches at first but got it's act together a lot. The game has been out in NA for roughly a year and I can honestly say it has improved in that time.

Only issue I ever really had was Fort Sieges being a lag fiesta (Everyone encountered this regardless of your computer's specs) and a few "main" quests were a pain to get a group for sometimes.

Graphics are awesome..

PvP isn't so bad (Sucks getting ganked but you'll eventually be the one ganking right back)

Anyone who bashes Aion either grew tired of playing the same game for a year, has no friends in it, or hasn't played it recently. So don't always listen to it's reviews. I definitely recommend you give it a try (Hell I might even be coming back to it since my experience with FFXIV was a huge disappointment =/..)

• AxehiltAxehilt Member RarePosts: 10,504

Grindy + Full of Gold Spammers + World PVP (aka bad PVP) = I didn't stick around long.

"What is truly revealing is his implication that believing something to be true is the same as it being true. [continue]" -John Oliver

• KokomoblKokomobl Member UncommonPosts: 153

Most of these Replys are judging Aion before 2.0. alot of things have changed so if you haven't played Aion 2.0 dont give a new player Misleading and false player reviews.

• SpasticolonSpasticolon Member Posts: 178

Cant speak for post 2.0, or even 1.9, I played for the first 3 months and had a great time, however I found a strong legion, and was encouraged through the grind (Which I found I began to enjoy). The PvE is (was?) good, it was punishing, and the penalty for dying was a chunk of EXP lost, that you could only recover a portion, while I raged everytime I died, I would not have it another way. You have (had?) to employ CC and smart pulls, the MDPS AoE class Gladiator got a reputation for breaking cc, even if they didnt, running gag FTW! A legion (guild) of solid players who you enjoy the company of and have fun with is a must for the game, there are times when the grind can get to you, so encouragement and banter in Lchat can help alot, and being able to rely on people in an instance helps thoroughly. Think WoW before Wrath for CC usage, (Read: Actual CC usage) The bonus of Aion being that on your radar/minimap, when you target a mob, it will display a radius of their threat/aggro compared to your level, so it helps in checking for pulls and ways to sneak past mobs.

I enjoyed the game when I was playing, I stopped for a time, and came back recently, only to find my legion has left server, and then disbanded. I miss those guys, they made the game much more fun.

Originally posted by Kokomobl

Most of these Replys are judging Aion before 2.0. alot of things have changed so if you haven't played Aion 2.0 dont give a new player Misleading and false player reviews.

Most of these Pro AION Replies are from Fanboys who absolutely love the game and ignore many of the still glaring issues.

I have serious doubts that in that time they have fixed inherent problems with the game.

-Still an asian grinder

-PvP is still zerg wins

-PvP in the air is still no good and adds no more depth to a game

-In PvE leveling all the mobs are way too close for each other, no exploration and a complete fustercluck

I had fun for a while in game and then the game just got slow leveling wise, as I mentioned earlier, it was like a dead stop.

To the OP, if you are serious about wanting to try this game, watch a few more vids and see if it fits what you want. And if it looks like something you would want to play, and have the cash to burn, give it a whirl.

• DSBHRDSBHR Member UncommonPosts: 75

I played the first few months and got one character to max level and tried to have fun at endgame but it just wasn't there.  Also there was only a few instances that had to be repeated ad nausium to do the questlines.

One thing that really frosted my chaps was the random crafting crap with very expensive materials.  I really was thinking that it was set up for RMT and that was the only way to get past the barrier. 

Also the fact that the RMT people set up freaking shops all over and spammed and it was blatantly obvious to the point I am pretty sure most of them were from NC soft. 

• KadiaKadia Member Posts: 30

Good soundtrack,Good Graphics, that is all.

• KrynKryn Member UncommonPosts: 172

Originally posted by Kokomobl

That is the way the cookie crumbles.  Release sticks in peoples minds forever.  FF 14 will go through this for its lifetime...not matter how good it may get in a year from now.

Aion has its place in the MMO world.  Again, it is a game for certain people.  I am not that person so I will keep my opinion to myself.  I am not gonna blast games just because they are not my playstyle like most people do.  I can see where you can have fun with it if you like this type of game.

• MikehaMikeha Member EpicPosts: 9,196

I think Aion is overall a good game. I played at launch but I was expecting something different from what the game was. Still a good game though.

• DibdabsDibdabs Member RarePosts: 3,203

Four friends and I, players of many MMOs in the last 8 to 10 years, all bought Aion and started together, and within probably 6 weeks none of us even bothered to keep it on our hard drives.  It's a cookie-cutter Asian grinder, with nothing innovative going for it whatsoever.  There is no real exploration because the geography of the zones is very linear, to the point of feeling like they are basically just railway tracks rather than open country, the quests were stale and worn out 5 years ago, and the game had zero atmosphere and no sense of immersion whatsoever.  Overall, it was a REAL disappointment.

• lennpelllennpell Member UncommonPosts: 111

Well I decided to buy the game, I decided that I don't personally mind about grinding,(I got my first 60 in vanilla from grinding... didn't know quests were worth it.) and from the responses so far it is mostly QQ's about the grinds/how some think pvp is unfair or not fun in this game. Well I would like to say, pvp is never fair in any game, in wow the best geared wins 1 v 1, (in Aion too from what I've read) the numbers game always wins, (Have you ever played a WSG where the horde haven't 9-10 v 1'd you?) and I kind of like Korean grinders, I managed to get level 107 on a Billposter in FlyFF, and not only that I like the idea that if you kill you raise in the ranks, and if you die you go down...that makes it so its not always a zergfest from the higher ups because if they die they are getting a huge kick in the pants.

Anyways, I would like to close up by saying I am currently on the Siel server as an Elyos(Most balanced influence pop right now) and I am a level 6 scout(soon to be ranger) message me if you want to play with me in game!

Thanks for all your responses!!!

• AdamantineAdamantine Member RarePosts: 5,085

Originally posted by endersshadow

Originally posted by MadAddict

What mmo isnt grindy? You are a funny guy.

Its not a bit of a grind, it drops to a dead HALT at EARLY points in the game

Vanguard isnt grindy, for example.

Tons and tons and tons of quests to have.

Of course, some of those are also grindy.

Still, there are MMOs which are NOTHING BUT grindy, and others allow you to experience a story most of the time.