Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Rift- Player housing and PvP

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 12,263
The user and all related content has been deleted.

거북이는 목을 내밀 때 안 움직입니다

Comments

• yorkforceyorkforce Member UncommonPosts: 160

In regards to the Player Housing, I've heard it all before:

Devs: we want it, but after release... few months after release you get this generic crap that all you can do to it is stare at it, or maybe hang a fecking trophy on the wall because they spent the previous 3-6 months fixing the basic gameplay that everyone complains about.

Ill believe it when I see it, but unless a game announces that player housing has been an original design idea from near the start of development ill not read too much into it tbh.

• The user and all related content has been deleted.

거북이는 목을 내밀 때 안 움직입니다

• AstraeisAstraeis Member UncommonPosts: 378

Actually, when they say that player housing is now being considered, that already is a news scoop, since till recently they have always said the opposite. The only crack in that wall was when Scott made the loose remark about housing in which he said they were not even considering it, but who knows what might happen.

Being a cautious type I would wait for a more positive confirmation before assuming player housing will be in the game though.

It takes one to know one.

• CheriseCherise Member Posts: 232

Did they modify the article linked?  I see mention of PvP but not the player housing.

Glad to hear they've listened to some of the feedback on housing though.  While it's not a must have for me, it's definitely an aspect I really enjoy if done well.

• DaxPierceDaxPierce Member Posts: 172

If RIFT adds player housing, it will be awesome. The game just gets better and better the more i read it. The only thing I was really meh about was the factions (Horde and Alliance).

• mmonoobletmmonooblet Member Posts: 336

player housing is the last thing they should waste their time with... gameplay and actual CONTENT should come first.  Honestly, I really don't get this fascination some people have with player housing.  If I wanta  house, i'll play sims.

• DaxPierceDaxPierce Member Posts: 172

Allow me to enlighten you then on why players enjoy player housing inside MMORPGS.

Player housing offers immersion inside of a world where the characters home is part of his/her everyday life. We all go to work, and when we get off work we come home. People enjoy player housing because this is not only a comfortable aspect for the player but it assists in roleplaying, showing off trophies, and even allows players to customize how their home is laid out in a fantasy world for anyone (or just friends) to see.

I completely understand why some people don't find this very practical. Some people just want to jump in,  play, kill, and log out. There is nothing wrong with that, but a vast amount of players also like to find themselves in the hobby of player housing at the end of their adventure.

I don't think anyone wants Rifts dev's to choose  between player housing or finished content/no bugs. It would be nice if both could be cohesive. If you have ever played EQ2 or SW, you would see a very well done player housing system.

• oakthornnoakthornn Member UncommonPosts: 863

Originally posted by blueturtle13

http://www.tentonhammer.com/rift/features/nycc10

Nice post on player Housing and PvP

I must admit, It would be nice to have UO style player housing implemented.. However, It's not really on my top priority must have feature list..  It would just add to the flavor for me..  If they do decide to implement a housing system in the future, I hope it's not like EQ 2's apartment. Personally, If it's not out in the open and similar to UO and VG, then I don't want it in the game at all.  Having a instanced apratment in my opinion is stupid..

Rallithon Oakthornn
    (Retired Heirophant of the 60th season)

• SebaliSebali Member UncommonPosts: 395

the TTH article was modified after a request by the trion devs. i would assume somene let soemthing slip that he wasnt supposed to

• stayontargetstayontarget Member RarePosts: 6,519

Originally posted by mmonooblet

player housing is the last thing they should waste their time with... gameplay and actual CONTENT should come first.  Honestly, I really don't get this fascination some people have with player housing.  If I wanta  house, i'll play sims.

All you need to do is run through SWG today and see all the abandoned player housing...it has an impact on the game that is long lasting...some of these "monuments" are quite impressive from a time long past   ^^   salute

Velika: City of Wheels: Among the mortal races, the humans were the only one that never built cities or great empires; a curse laid upon them by their creator, Gidd, forced them to wander as nomads for twenty centuries...

Originally posted by Sebali

the TTH article was modified after a request by the trion devs. i would assume somene let soemthing slip that he wasnt supposed to

Yes, the part about player housing was specifically taken out of the report. This might be because Trion does not like to talk about or even mention anything that is not ready for release (and in this case might not even in the game at release, because they have more urgent matters to attend to).

• KhalathwyrKhalathwyr Member UncommonPosts: 3,133

No one's making you buy a house in game so ignore it. Just realize that the game isn't all about you and there will be things added that you may not take part in. That does not mean the devs are "wasting resources". It means not everyone likes exactly what you do and the devs are putting stuff in for those other paying customers too.

"Many nights, my friend... Many nights I've put a blade to your throat while you were sleeping. Glad I never killed you, Steve. You're alright..."

Chavez y Chavez

• NeoptolemusNeoptolemus Member Posts: 242

To be honest, from what I have seen and heard about the game world itself, I think player housing is very low on their list of priorities. If it is eventually implemented, it will probably be in a primitive form of some kind of a pre-existing static building with personalised instances for each player.

The reason I think this is because everything the devs have said about the design points towards a world that isn't huge but is packed with content. As a result, space for player housing is going to be tight.

Still, I could be wrong. I just don't see how hundreds of players will be able to put down their own individual houses unless the devs expand the playable area with lots of open spaces.

Originally posted by Neoptolemus

To be honest, from what I have seen and heard about the game world itself, I think player housing is very low on their list of priorities. If it is eventually implemented, it will probably be in a primitive form of some kind of a pre-existing static building with personalised instances for each player.

The reason I think this is because everything the devs have said about the design points towards a world that isn't huge but is packed with content. As a result, space for player housing is going to be tight.

Still, I could be wrong. I just don't see how hundreds of players will be able to put down their own individual houses unless the devs expand the playable area with lots of open spaces.

I suppose Scott Hartman agrees with you, since he said there will be no geographical housing in the game, which probably means that you cannot build your own house at any spot, but have to rent/buy existing houses. That is when there will be housing at all.

• stewdog6919stewdog6919 Member Posts: 6

I believe DAOC did a outstanding job putting in player housing.

• BarryManilowBarryManilow Member UncommonPosts: 701

Originally posted by stewdog6919

I believe DAOC did a outstanding job putting in player housing.

I was actually going to post about DAoC housing as well.  I think they had one of the best housing systems of any MMORPG.  Still think UO had the best, but not sure you can do that in a true 3D game.

• VhalnVhaln Member Posts: 3,159

The gameworld barely even has NPC housing from what I saw.  Just doesn't seem like that kind of MMO...

When I want a single-player story, I'll play a single-player game. When I play an MMO, I want a massively multiplayer world.

• cshanorcshanor Member UncommonPosts: 64

I like LOTRO's player housing, as well as DAoCs, but I wonder how many players actually go home every time they log out? I usually just log out inside of a town or city.

I think a great substitute for player housing would be a "trophy hall" or something similar for a player to display there hard won trophies in the game, and perhaps a vault.

Have a hall that can be upgraded from wood to marble etc, and a cellar beneath it for storage and crafting.

• VirusDancerVirusDancer Member UncommonPosts: 3,649

My favorite housing would have to have been in SWG.  Having a nice house in the residential area and a store in the commercial area of the town my "guild" lived was pretty cool.

I miss the MMORPG genre. Will a developer ever make one again?

Explorer: 87%, Killer: 67%, Achiever: 27%, Socializer: 20%

• BlackndBlacknd Member Posts: 600

I'm skeptical about the adding of player housing.

It won't effect my preordering the CE or anything, but I just keep in the back of my mind that WoW was also supposed to add player housing after release.

.. But in a good way.

• AryasAryas Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 337

If implemented creatively, player housing could be a huge source of PvP content.

Aryas

Playing: Ableton Live 8
    ~ ragequitcancelsubdeletegamesmashcomputerkillself ~

• TheLizardbonesTheLizardbones Member CommonPosts: 10,910

If they were going to have player housing where you could build a house, there would be more land to put the house on. There's no place to put a house, and if you did put a house outside of the cities, a rift would open and the invasions would loiter around your door trying to sell you nic-nacs from other planes of reality.

If the end game plays out to where you're standing around in the main city waiting for a group, they're not going to want people in houses. They're going to want them hanging around in the city, filling the place up.

Also, this is kind of an old article and an old post.

I can not remember winning or losing a single debate on the internet.

• Rockgod99Rockgod99 Member Posts: 4,640

Originally posted by yorkforce

Devs: we want it, but after release... few months after release you get this generic crap that all you can do to it is stare at it, or maybe hang a fecking trophy on the wall because they spent the previous 3-6 months fixing the basic gameplay that everyone complains about.

Ill believe it when I see it, but unless a game announces that player housing has been an original design idea from near the start of development ill not read too much into it tbh.

I have a problem with this.

Being negative before you even see the feature.

Basically expecting it to be crap.

An attitude like that is just asking for a major let down.

Your already counting a feature out months before its implemented...

Am I the only one that sees a problem with the way many people on this forum all ready have a negative opinion or expectations on something that wont even be released anytime soon?

Playing: Rift, LotRO
    Waiting on: GW2, BP

• RemyVorenderRemyVorender Member RarePosts: 3,991

As others have said, adding in a LoTRO / DAoC style of instanced housing zones sounds like the best way to add this feature down the road. Housing has never been a make or break for me, but I would love to have it.

Joined - July 2004

• wallet113wallet113 Member Posts: 231

Originally posted by Rockgod99

Originally posted by yorkforce

I have a problem with this.

Being negative before you even see the feature.

Basically expecting it to be crap.

An attitude like that is just asking for a major let down.

Your already counting a feature out months before its implemented...

Am I the only one that sees a problem with the way many people on this forum all ready have a negative opinion or expectations on something that wont even be released anytime soon?

Hope is the first step on the road to disappointment.