Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Is WW2 Online Worth It?

I know I recently posted a thread asking about EVE online, & I am still in the process of deciding if that game is for me.  In the mean while I am contemplating trying out WW2 online (a game I played when it first came out & dropped) for the 14 day trial period.  Unforunately CR wants my creditcard information before I sign-up & to be honest I don't like handing out that information unless I gonna commit to playing the game for awhile.

That all being said what do you guys think of the game?  Does it have a steady player base?  Does it make sense in general?  Is the progression system fun?  Some general thoughts would be awesome.

Thanks ahead of time

Comments

• Gabby-airGabby-air Member UncommonPosts: 3,440

It's a slow paced tactical shooter with a fairly small playerbase. From what i've heard its quite complex and the vets have no mercy on new players killing them as much as they can. I like my FPS games fast- paced and action oriented so i never played the game, but who knows you might like and really the best way to know is to try it yourself so try getting one of those $10 prepaid visa cards for these kind of situations.

• DaywolfDaywolf Member Posts: 749

Don't know if it's healthy now, but when I played it, it was fun. It's more like a mmosim. If you dig sim's, worth a try.

M59, UO, EQ1, WWIIOL, PS, EnB, SL, SWG. MoM, EQ2, AO, SB, CoH, LOTRO, WoW, DDO+ f2p's, Demo’s & indie alpha's.

• Death1942Death1942 Member UncommonPosts: 2,587

it's not really a long term kind of game.  It's a blast for about a month then you usually grow bored then leave.

I suggest doing the 14 day trial (make sure you cancel your account before the 14th day has ended or they charge you...i think).  It is a lot of fun at times and is very unique as far as MMO's go.

If you willing i'd suggest playing both.  WW2O is great for a session or two of mining in EVE (dull as dishwater) and it's pretty easy to jump in and out of fights.

MMO wish list:

-Changeable worlds
    -Solid non level based game
    -Sharks with lasers attached to their heads

• GarinoldGarinold Member Posts: 29

I would be awesome to get a roundabout figure for the player base

• AtakAtak Member Posts: 82

It's hard to review a game when it's negative, this website tends to filter that.

I played it since it started.

It was called ww2online back then

great game until people started emailing the devs about stuff like :

- cant find anyone

- im lost

- i keep dying

- dead while riding trucks

so the devs turned the game around from virtual battlefield to casual arcade fragfest with handholding features such as :

-gps

-radar

-early warning system

-mobile spawns

-spawnable depots

-HC

-AO's

-mobile spawn points.

The power was taken away from players and then squads died.

We were hundreds on the axis teamspeak, peak is 20-30 guys now.

With very outdated graphics and a questionnable community (most subscribe for the off topic forums) , most new players do not stick around.

By the way WW2online was good, Battleground Europe is what it's called now.

I would not recommend this game to anyone.

• DaywolfDaywolf Member Posts: 749

I don’t care much about graphics, but they put regular game radar in? And early warning? Part of the fun was being able to launch a surprise attack. Even as a newbie, it gave them the chance to win in a fight, if they thought ahead at least.

What made me quit was lack of support over a billing issue. They still owe me about $15. I was also playing PlanetSide at the time, so I stuck with that. Played PS for about 2 years until SOE ruined it, became a ghost town. Went back one month, recently, saw that they ruined it even more. Maybe one day someone will make a good virtual battlefield again.

Yeah, posting in pub will usually get it moved ;)

M59, UO, EQ1, WWIIOL, PS, EnB, SL, SWG. MoM, EQ2, AO, SB, CoH, LOTRO, WoW, DDO+ f2p's, Demo’s & indie alpha's.

• angriffangriff Member Posts: 154

Originally posted by Daywolf

I don’t care much about graphics, but they put regular game radar in? And early warning? Part of the fun was being able to launch a surprise attack. Even as a newbie, it gave them the chance to win in a fight, if they thought ahead at least.

What made me quit was lack of support over a billing issue. They still owe me about $15. I was also playing PlanetSide at the time, so I stuck with that. Played PS for about 2 years until SOE ruined it, became a ghost town. Went back one month, recently, saw that they ruined it even more. Maybe one day someone will make a good virtual battlefield again.

Yeah, posting in pub will usually get it moved ;)

I lost 3 months of subscription one time when a Rat mistakenly took an email that I sent asking for clarification as a threat because I copied a fictitious email account to the Texas A&M Football Coach.   I had prepaid my account for six months when he cancelled my account and never sent a refund.  I lobbied to get my account unblocked for the last two months but never got any credit for the lost  time.   Since then when I played it was only a monthly subscription so I could cancel it anytime as a funding leverage against abusive power evereyone's daddy trippin' forum moderators.  The moderator gets all bravado and cost's the Rats income.  LOL

• yclukycluk Member Posts: 34

Originally posted by Atak

It's hard to review a game when it's negative, this website tends to filter that.

I played it since it started.

It was called ww2online back then

great game until people started emailing the devs about stuff like :

- cant find anyone

- im lost

- i keep dying

- dead while riding trucks

so the devs turned the game around from virtual battlefield to casual arcade fragfest with handholding features such as :

-gps

-radar

-early warning system

-mobile spawns

-spawnable depots

-HC

-AO's

-mobile spawn points.

The power was taken away from players and then squads died.

We were hundreds on the axis teamspeak, peak is 20-30 guys now.

With very outdated graphics and a questionnable community (most subscribe for the off topic forums) , most new players do not stick around.

By the way WW2online was good, Battleground Europe is what it's called now.

I would not recommend this game to anyone.

I believe these are necessary changes

since the game world is so big, with infantry and no transportation, it's really hard for everyone to find action

without AO/DO, there is no objective give to players what to do, and virtual battlefield need to be change to more in-game mechanic controlled organized war sim game

i heard back in the days, people can cap everywhere and no front line need to be formed

that kind of game sucks, and now it's much better with HC setting AO/DO, and we need more low level objectives

• mverhoevvemverhoevve Member Posts: 56

Originally posted by Atak

It's hard to review a game when it's negative, this website tends to filter that.[..]

I would not recommend this game to anyone.[.]

WHATever dude, whatever. Go to your favorite site.. or whatever.

That game isn't half bad btw

• BaffaBaffa Member Posts: 37

The game have a pretty steep learning curve, I know when I started playing it I didn't see one enemy the first day but I died all the time hehe.

If you manage to get past the learning curve you will find a good game, nothing beats when you are in a big ambush and you can hear enemy armor closing in and you have your 88 hidden in a perfect spot, hehe.

What I also like with this game is that you will use the terrain in a meaningful way, you will hide in bushes and your enemy will have a very hard time to actually spot you.

EDIT: Forgot about their upgraded engine, things look better nowadays than the old screenshots you will find on teh interweb. Things doesn't look AMAZING but it's way better than it used to look.

• yclukycluk Member Posts: 34

Originally posted by Baffa

What I also like with this game is that you will use the terrain in a meaningful way, you will hide in bushes and your enemy will have a very hard time to actually spot you.

this is also the game that you really need to use your ears

• SircaSirca Member UncommonPosts: 110

Originally posted by ycluk

Originally posted by Baffa

this is also the game that you really need to use your ears

Good point. The soundtrack/effects is pretty immersive, too bad that is far from being the case visually speaking.

• WQERT451WQERT451 Member Posts: 9

It's very niche.  theres nothing else i can play tho thats as rewarding and is pure PvP.  if u make it past the learning curve theres moments of immense glory you just have to have the patience to get to them.  its definately not for everyone but when you want to take it up a notch it is complex and has the most view options of any shooter, like you can move your head around while your run.  theres always something to get better at in this game it seems.  Its like a bunch of different games combined into one.  The graphics are understandably not to everyones standards. 

zirzo- CL90 imp spy, Valcyn
    oxirz- CL36 imp smuggler, Bria

• UnleadedRevUnleadedRev Member UncommonPosts: 568

When I played it several years ago upon initial release, I had a blast as part of the Black Knights guild...a British Armor guild.

I recall the day we had 50 tanks all lined up on the road and ready to go for our planned offensive.

Not sure what has transpired since then.

• TrenchgunTrenchgun Member Posts: 295

If EVE appeals to you then WW2OL might for similar reasons. Both are hardcore as far as MMOS go, with a large learning curve. But more importantly, both require cooperation and teamwork on a grand scale to achieve anything - That is the aspect which truly sets WW2OL apart from every other tactical shooter out there, and it's not an element you can appreciate until you've actually experienced it.

The main difference? There's no grinding in WW2OL, and pure skill rather than stats determines victory. Although gear can determine victory in WW2Ol, it's not really the same conceptually because the same gear is available to everyone once a superficial and easy rank is achieved. EVE, in contrast, is an economic simulator where gear must be obtained and leveraged.

In other shooters you have competition that takes place between small groups. Although something like batltefield 2 might support fairly large servers, in terms of organized play you'll never experience that on a large scale in a typical online shooter.

The run of the mill MMORPG experience involves small groups working together, but many of them do venture into territory that requires coordination of entire guilds, or multiple groups to achieve something. Although fewer require this level of coordination in pvp, against an equally adaptive opponent. Even fewer require any kind of multi-guild PvP coordination of significance on a truly battlefield scale, of which darkfall and eve are the only two I know of.

WW2OL is the only tactical shooter/batltefield simulator that requires large scale organization as standard, between dozens or hundreds of players. There might be other tactical shooters out there like ARMA, but it lacks the player numbers and battlefield organization of WW2OL.

There might be other flight sims out there, but none allow you perform close air support or combat air patrol within the context of a larger ground battle being fought out by hundreds of real players.

There really aren't any other tank sims that will match WW2OL that I know of, ARMA can't even come close. The fact that it combines the very real dangers of infantry and planes into the mix only makes the gap even more impressive.

• SartoriussSartoriuss Member UncommonPosts: 30

I guess, this game is really worth to try. Especially for fans of war simulations. That give basis, how  war MMO can (or can't be) simulated in future, atleast in theory. And with this knowing, you can take part in many discussions in other game projects about possibilities to make MMO about WW2 (and other wars).

Though 14 day trial don't give too many aspects and nuances about game, but even this is something.

• StugStug Member UncommonPosts: 387

"Is WWIIOL Worth it?"

You'll only really know if YOU give it a try I guess. Its all about what enjoyment you get from a game.

If you enjoy it and find something in it that pushes your gaming buttons, its worth it!

• ZbusZbus Member Posts: 116

A war sim  lol !!!! At most this game in its current state is quake online with bad graphics compared to other FPS out there. Had you asked me even 5 years ago if this was a great game I would have said yep. But with every patch up to the current they have removed what made this a ww2 sim and shoved it down the road of a fps twitcher game. Just so everyone knows out of the 14 trial will cost you 17.99/month if you decide not to go with ethier a prepaid plan or go on there easy pay  plan which allows you to pay a lower rate but you have to lock in for 3/6/12 months and if you unsub you get hit with a fee like some kinda cheesy cell phone company.

• SirmakiSirmaki Member UncommonPosts: 118

Originally posted by Stug

"Is WWIIOL Worth it?"

You'll only really know if YOU give it a try I guess. Its all about what enjoyment you get from a game.

If you enjoy it and find something in it that pushes your gaming buttons, its worth it!

Have to comment on this post. While what you say is true, finding out how the game plays etc can help you decide if it is the "type" of game you might like. Myself, not being a huge FPS fan, would probably not like this game based on what I have read so far. I prefer a more fast paced game so that when I get ganked, I can respawn and jump right back in. That isn't to say this game isn't good, it's just doesn't seem right for me and so I got what I wanted when I popped into this thread. :)

• tw0sh0ttw0sh0t Member Posts: 3

You're refering to BKB, Black Knight Brigade.  I was in BKB also. :)  Ahhh the good o' days.  Haven't been back to WWIIOL in over 2 years.  Kinda reading through reviews to see if it's worth a quick look see. 

• rendusrendus Member UncommonPosts: 329

Originally posted by tw0sh0t

You're refering to BKB, Black Knight Brigade.  I was in BKB also. :)  Ahhh the good o' days.  Haven't been back to WWIIOL in over 2 years.  Kinda reading through reviews to see if it's worth a quick look see. 

It's worth a look.  I usually play for about a month before the repetition finally gets to me.  The first 3 weeks are awesome though!  

• swattersswatters Member Posts: 6

This game is damn good.  Could be much better.

The company CRS that runs it is sub-par.  If another MMO group like CCP (started as a small independent just like CRS) decided to make the same sort of game CRS would be shuttered and we'd be left with a better game.  They're extremely slow and full of lame excuses when it comes to bug fixes and the lag is well below the standards of 2010.   They're always hot about introducing new graphic candy that only a small chunk of the players are concerned with yet this only helps limit the number of people that can play because of increased performance demands.  Top rate MMO companies don't seem to have these problems.  I'd recommend you go to the BE forums and see the constant player complaints about them for yourself but you can't because those discussions are herded into the paying members only access forums that you can't even read.  

All that said this is a great game because of the initial concept and the devoted mature player base that understand that concept.  I imagine (and hope) somebody will eventually decide this niche market is ripe for the taking and growing.  As loyal as the players are most of them would be willing to switch over to a similar game (PvP based FPS, large persistant scope, classless, leveless, no dice rolling mechanics, team-oriented) if it was less buggy, more populated, and the developers were more business savvy (in-tune with the players).  The declining numbers over the years prove this but until that new game comes along I have to begrudgingly say despite themselves CRS has one of the best games out there.

• StugStug Member UncommonPosts: 387

Swatters - you say:

"Top rate MMO problems don't seem to have these problems."

Could you just clarify the level of staffing at CRS and the level of staffing at say, Blizzard?

• swattersswatters Member Posts: 6

Originally posted by Stug

Swatters - you say:

"Top rate MMO problems don't seem to have these problems."

Could you just clarify the level of staffing at CRS and the level of staffing at say, Blizzard?

No, but I did point out that CCP was also a small independent when they started out.   Why Blizzard?  You also say,  misquoted me.

• EberbachEberbach Member Posts: 77

There are many players that have been the the game for several years. Veteran players are not ruthless its just that new players have to learn a great deal and usually do so by trial and error, getting shot. But, once you have mastered something you feel a great sense of accomplishment because it was hard to do. You just wont start getting kills right away in this game, its not about instant gratification, you have to earn your accomplishments.

For example, being a part of a mortar team that is effective requires one or two players to spot. 3+ players to use mortars, riflemen or people driving trucks to supply ammo, and a few gaurds to watch the perimerter and depending on the situation some AA and maybe even air cover and anti tank.

But done right with all the set up and teamwork it just works like clockwork. Even if you are just the rifleman supplying ammo you are still kept busy by reloading and using your binoculars to scan for incoming enemy, calling out their locaiton and taking a shot or directing MG fire on them.

Watching the effects of a mortar barrage on an enemy with 20+ rounds going over a 100x100 foot area or larger is pretty incredible to watch.