Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Haters celebrate! WoW is dying!

Comments

• ValentinaValentina Member RarePosts: 2,080

Originally posted by Czzarre

Originally posted by catlana

Lol, these numbers are pre Cata as well (china just got the wrath expansion). Blizz has a shot at 13 million with the Cata expansion in the West. 

I dont know honestly. Anyone who is going to play WoW...has likely already played it. I doubt there is some untapped Western Audiance that is somehow WoW-Naive

.....perhaps Texas

Lol, I'm from Texas and most of my friends who play games are long since over WoW.

These numbers are probably due to them opening back up in China, so it will have some sort of sustained growth there for a little while yet.

• FoomerangFoomerang Member UncommonPosts: 5,628

Next time, Gadget! Next tiiiiiiiiime!

• XerathuleXerathule Member UncommonPosts: 114

Lol, these numbers are pre Cata as well (china just got the wrath expansion). Blizz has a shot at 13 million with the Cata expansion in the West. 

I dont know honestly. Anyone who is going to play WoW...has likely already played it. I doubt there is some untapped Western Audiance that is somehow WoW-Naive

.....perhaps Texas

I get so fucking tired of the Texas insults!! You people are so fucking naive yourselves!!  Do you realize large amounts of people have moved to Texas do to the job market?  Do you think that is the first time it has happened?  Is there good business opportunities there?  To stereotype the people in Texas is far more ignorant than anybody in it!

• MAnalogMAnalog Member Posts: 86

I really doubt it ever lost true "subscribers". This game appeals to too many different types of people to not succeed on this kind of level. And Cataclysm will only compound the concept of "game for everyone". When housewives and 12yr olds are both playing your game you know that you have reached full market saturation and their ability to milk it for nearly everything it's worth is unmatched by anyone in the industry.

As much as I despise what the game is now(or always has been). I can't help but respect it. I just normally ignore it(500 lbs and all) and go about my daily mmo life. Kudos to Activision for not screwing this game up and bravo to Blizzard for making money hand over fist with a relatively small investment(considering the dividends).

Now, I'm just gonna go back to looking past this gorilla in the room and play some games.

• PhilbyPhilby Member Posts: 849

Lots of people trying to expalain the why of the increase. Its pretty simple really. I personally can think of four games that could have been at least a bit of competition for WOW. EQ2 was a contender for sometime and could have done much better with some help from SOE. Turbine pretty much the same thing as EQ2 as it was allowed to grow stagnate with little offered in the way of meaningful content.  Warhammer and AOC had huge hype and we all know how those games launched broken buggy and half finished. So you have two games allowed to wither going F2P and two that shouldnt have launched when they did. LOTRO had a great release but  its the only game since 07 that has. Its pretty obvious why Blizzard owns the genre. They know what people want and deliver.

Edit for spelling.

WOW isnt great because it has 12 million players. WOW has 12 million players because its great.

• iMaterialiMaterial Member Posts: 4

Ahh, shit can still attract flies, it seems. I wonder when there are going to be a game released, that I'd like to play, once again. Seems there are only 1-2 of those games, every decade, or so. Wait, I guess I would try D3, but then again, that's no MMO. =P

• Silver_LeafSilver_Leaf Member Posts: 135

I say FFXIV is gona flop worse than WoW. Don't ya worry, cataclysm will make everything all right.

• cloudacvcloudacv Member UncommonPosts: 210

Originally posted by Explorium

oh wait, no it isn't. 

http://us.blizzard.com/en-us/company/press/pressreleases.html?101007

WoW has hit 12 million subscribers!

A great milestone for WoW. Goes to show, a FUN game is going to be more popular than a tedious, boring game.

Wow is for people that want to be real gamers but cant.

Do they even take into account the number of people with 5-10 active accounts that bot? no they dont and their is a lot of them.

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,500

Originally posted by Xerathule

.....perhaps Texas

I get so fucking tired of the Texas insults!! You people are so fucking naive yourselves!!  Do you realize large amounts of people have moved to Texas do to the job market?  Do you think that is the first time it has happened?  Is there good business opportunities there?  To stereotype the people in Texas is far more ignorant than anybody in it!

Anyone ever notice how over sensitive and angry people in Texas always seem to be image

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

Originally posted by Silver_Leaf

I say FFXIV is gona flop worse than WoW. Don't ya worry, cataclysm will make everything all right.

I think FF14 devs  would piss their pants with joy if that game flopped 1/4 as much as WOW.

WOW isnt great because it has 12 million players. WOW has 12 million players because its great.

• WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332

oh wait, no it isn't. 

A great milestone for WoW. Goes to show, a FUN game is going to be more popular than a tedious, boring game.

Wait a minute you tried to imply something here.....you used the word FUN and related it to numbers?

that is a superficial analogy,pretty mcuh the way the majority play MMO's.

Running from NPC to NPC gaining experience for no reason,is a pathetic gaming.Trying your hardest to speed level is again superficial gaming.I do not think for one minute it matters what content a game has.people are just interested in "LOOK AT ME".They feel like they have accomplished something just because they gained a high level status,takes little to no effort to achieve that in gaming ,especially Wow. Online videos proving max level in a few days.Then after speed leveling,the next LOOK AT ME phase,Raiding instances that have NOTHING to do with being in a MMO.At best a raid is a coop,you remove yourself from the rest of the gaming environment you are no longer in a MMO.

All i ask is when people loosely use the term FUN,i would like to see some actual evidence or at least explain how they are having FUN that others are not in any other game.IMO the players in Wow play 100% exactly the same as EQ2players,there is no difference in FUN what so ever.ALSO FUN in a MMO means you are having FUN with others,if not then the game failed at designing a MMO,instead it made a single player game,then why are you paying a subscription to a single player game?

Wow is at best on even terms with all the other games,same subscription ,for the most part cheaper technology and graphics,lots of maps,so does other games,lots of classes,same as other games,it's all the same junk over and over,game to game.At least there is a couple choices to playing the same thing,FFXI offers true grouping,EQ2/VG offers better graphics.

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

Originally posted by cloudacv

Do they even take into account the number of people with 5-10 active accounts that bot? no they dont and their is a lot of them.

Yeah I bet 8 million of the subs are bots.  * humongus eye roll*

• XerathuleXerathule Member UncommonPosts: 114

Originally posted by Philby

Lots of people trying to expalain the why of the increase. Its pretty simple really. I personally can think of four games that could have been at least a bit of competition for WOW. EQ2 was a contender for sometime and could have done much better with some help from SOE. Turbine pretty much the same thing as EQ2 as it was allowed to grow stagnate with little offered in the way of meaningful content.  Warhammer and AOC had huge hype and we all know how those games launched broken buggy and half finished. So you have two games allowed to wither going F2P and two that shouldnt have launched when they did. LOTRO had a great release but  its the only game since 07 that has. Its pretty obvious why Blizzard owns the genre. They know what people want and deliver.

Edit for spelling.

EQ2 has got to have the worst combat mechanics I have ever experienced.  It isn't the looks of the game, it is the gameplay that will not only bore people but run them away from the game.  Anybody that signs up quits after a certain amount of time.  That is because of the Whack-a-mole abilities for the fighters and casters.  You don't have to know anything about what your hitting, just that your hitting them.  It is for anybody to be able to play it!  Vanguard is the only thing that is close to the gameplay, but it is an abandoned game and so screwed up that it won't be fixed.  The game was a failed project and it was sold to SOE and they at least kept it alive at least, but it isn't even been supported so you can forget about it being anything to sink your time into.

One thing is needed to be realized before you expect something good from SOE.  SOE bought the game from Verant Interactive which built the core part of Everquest Original.    After that it turned into a game/slavery.  So you can see the intention behind the ones that OWN the Intelectual Property.  They bought it for a reason, not for the enjoyment of gaming, they bought it for the enjoyment of money.  It has been like that ever since and the talent left since those days.  If anything they destroyed EQ.  Blizzard on the other hand has taken the MMO industry to a new level and made it fun which you will notice if you ever try to go back to Everquest (except for the questing for progress system that I didn't like).

We can only hope that SOE has learned from these mistakes and has hired new talent for Everquest Next, other than that I don't see anything good coming from them.  They have been following the questing system model of WoW so why would I want to go to EQ2 if it is like WoW?   I'm looking for the new innovation, but I'm affraid we won't see anything to compare for a while.

They never even say active accounts. Most likely it is just accounts period... I don't know a single person that still plays wow.

I dont understand... are you some kind of holy blizzard warrior? 

• vmopedvmoped Member Posts: 1,708

Interesting all the posts that are negative to a game that is responsible for increasing developer interest and budgets from producers to continue the development of AAA mmo games. We need games with these kinds of numbers to fuel development of future titles. The market is starting to shift to social games do to games such as farmville raking in huge numbers and capital.

I do not play WoW, but I appreciate what it has brought to the mmo community as a whole. Major gaming companies are pouring lots of cash on huge projects in order to capture this growing market. To bash this game over personal taste will never change, but to fail to understand its positive impact on a market that was plagued by buggy half-finished products for years is foolish. Blizzard showed the world that a polished and accessible game would attract a large audience and large profits. If you want to bash WoW, then lets also bash Atari for Pac man, or Nintendo for the Mario games, or Bioware for Baldur's Gate, and so on to all the companies that produced quality products that helped to revive interest in genres that large companies were loosing faith and putting less money towards.

Bravo Blizzard for making future AAA polished mmo's the new standard.

Cheers!

MMO Vet since AOL Neverwinter Nights circa 1992. My MMO beat up your MMO. =S

• GanksinatraGanksinatra Member UncommonPosts: 455

They never even say active accounts. Most likely it is just accounts period... I don't know a single person that still plays wow.

Actually, the numbers are based off of subs....so yes that would be active. As for the people saying "No one has fun playing it.", yeah, I'm sure 12 million people are playing it because they can't stand it. Face it, WoW owns any other MMO in sheer number of subs. Does it make it the greatest MMO of all time? No. Makes it the greatest one out right now though.

No I am the anti hater. It always amusing to see the haters scream "show us the numbers" then when they do its all , cooked books, bots and 9 year olds on grandmas computer.  Truth is WOW is the only MMO worth playing at this time, thats why the numbers are there. They got 500 K more subs in the last two years and the game is 6 years old. Any other AAA MMO right now would love to have what WOW just picked up. Where is the competition?

• SalvatorisSalvatoris Member Posts: 1,360

oh wait, no it isn't. 

Just goes to show there's no accounting for taste... and it really is just a popularity contest.  A boring game with shitty graphics can succeed based only on it's previous success. Everyone plays WoW because that's what their friends play... not because it's good.  WoW is the Jonus Borothers of the MMO world.

Originally posted by Ganksinatra

Actually, the numbers are based off of subs....so yes that would be active. As for the people saying "No one has fun playing it.", yeah, I'm sure 12 million people are playing it because they can't stand it. Face it, WoW owns any other MMO in sheer number of subs. Does it make it the greatest MMO of all time? No. Makes it the greatest one out right now though.

Ok, show me your statistics show me the evidence that shows 12 million active paying accounts. They never ever said "active" so I don't know where you're getting this from. Subscribers can be used anyway they want since you have played before but are no longer playing that would make you a subscriber. active subs are entirely different then subscriptions.

No I am the anti hater. It always amusing to see the haters scream "show us the numbers" then when they do its all , cooked books, bots and 9 year olds on grandmas computer.  Truth is WOW is the only MMO worth playing at this time, thats why the numbers are there. They got 500 K more subs in the last two years and the game is 6 years old. Any other AAA MMO right now would love to have what WOW just picked up. Where is the competition?

follow the sheep right? that is subs that's not even active subs. Show me REAL evidence that they actually do have 12 million active subscribers.

Originally posted by Salvatoris

oh wait, no it isn't. 

Just goes to show there's no accounting for taste... and it really is just a popularity contest.  A boring game with shitty graphics can succeed based only on it's previous success. Everyone plays WoW because that's what their friends play... not because it's good.  WoW is the Jonus Borothers of the MMO world.

Yeah right, 12 million people  play and its not a good game?  Name one thats better and be careful because ive played most of the AAA stuff out there and truthfully none of them are close in WOW quality.

How is wow quality at all? It's based off opinion and based off of what you're saying you have no taste "be careful" don't be ridiculous.... Name one thing about wow that no other mmo has... please go ahead. Name some qualitys about wow that makes it so great. I am still waiting for those stats btw.

follow the sheep right? that is subs that's not even active subs. Show me REAL evidence that they actually do have 12 million active subscribers.

I personally dont care if its 12 million or 2 million. Its the best MMO available and has been for quite sometime.  What game do you play? I ask because unless its a F2P ive probably played it.

I personally dont care if its 12 million or 2 million. Its the best MMO available and has been for quite sometime.  What game do you play? I ask because unless its a F2P ive probably played it.

You still haven't answered a single question that I have asked you. 

• Ramonski7Ramonski7 Member UncommonPosts: 2,662

Originally posted by Salvatoris

oh wait, no it isn't. 

I don't understand how a nerd's pasttime could be considered popular. Or could it be that a mmo that broke the nerd guidelines for what is to be considered a real mmo has blown away anything based on nerd lore? BTW I'm also a nerd.

"Small minds talk about people, average minds talk about events, great minds talk about ideas."

This discussion has been closed.