Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

List of mmoRPGs with RP-Servers

anothernameanothername Member UncommonPosts: 200

Since there are so many of them that it causes mind numbing confusion just to find the right one *cough* maybe a list of these rare breed of MMOs could come in handy. In my long search to my dissapointment I only found these:

Lord of the Rings Online

World of Warcraft

Age of Conan (1x official PvP-RP in germany; thats it afaik)

Everquest 2 (not sure about that one; to long ago, to shortly stayed)

Istaria (-thanks to Ravik :) )

Rift: Planes of Telara

Star Wars: The Old Republic

TERA (US)

Are there any more in this ocean of MMOs? You saw it, and its still Online? Just tell the name. :)

Comments

• RavZterzRavZterz Member UncommonPosts: 618

Istaria has a RP server.  That game definatlly has a lot of easy going roleplayers.

Make games you want to play.

http://www.youtube.com/user/RavikAztar

• legend55legend55 Member Posts: 155

nope I think you found all the MMO with RP-servers, maybe check the game list and myabe you will find some more

But i think you ain't going to find another MMO with RP-server 

Greetz

• KellerKeller Member UncommonPosts: 602

I think the question is a bit gimped. Eve for example has only one server. So it won't make the list, but there could be a good RP-community. Maybe change the question to "Which games have a good RP-community?" . A lot of games do have a seperate RP-forum plus they support ingame RP events. (most of the time gms are present). I prefer those events over a RP-server. Nothing is more fun than to have a non-rper trying to rp back or even turn him/her into a fulltime rp-er. (and those aren't playing on a rp server).

• anothernameanothername Member UncommonPosts: 200

Originally posted by Khealler

I think the question is a bit gimped. Eve for example has only one server. So it won't make the list, but there could be a good RP-community. Maybe change the question to "Which games have a good RP-community?" . A lot of games do have a seperate RP-forum plus they support ingame RP events. (most of the time gms are present). I prefer those events over a RP-server. Nothing is more fun than to have a non-rper trying to rp back or even turn him/her into a fulltime rp-er. (and those aren't playing on a rp server).

The list of MMOs with RP communitys is there: http://www.mmorpg.com/gamelist.cfm ;)

There may be exceptions, but so far every MMORPG I took a closer look at has an RP community.

No disrespect to the bold fellow roleplayers who holds high the torch of rp'ing in even the darkest non-rp friendly eviroment, but this is indeed intended to be a filter for those MMOs dedicated enough to Roleplay to at least have one official Server with Roleplay friendly rules (extended naming policy, etc). Even if it is a shamefully short list, MMO interested roleplayers who just refuse to play on a "normal" PvE/PVP server can save up weeks/months on research and have them all here listed.

• EyrothathEyrothath Member UncommonPosts: 200

Well Ultima Online has no RP servers but we have one massive RP community on several servers and still do.. It's just that though, no such thing as PVP or PVE servers in UO, we do have more advanced servers which are way more challenging and harder however, and even then, people still roleplay..

Originally posted by Eyrothath

Well Ultima Online has no RP servers but we have one massive RP community on several servers and still do.. It's just that though, no such thing as PVP or PVE servers in UO, we do have more advanced servers which are way more challenging and harder however, and even then, people still roleplay..

Would you say that characters like "p0wnmaStOr12" or "DDCuty" (made up names) and/or those who gank people "for teh lulz" without reason are a tiny freak minority which get scared off the servers or a common annoyance?

• EyrothathEyrothath Member UncommonPosts: 200

Originally posted by anothername

Originally posted by Eyrothath

Would you say that characters like "p0wnmaStOr12" or "DDCuty" (made up names) and/or those who gank people "for teh lulz" without reason are a tiny freak minority which get scared off the servers or a common annoyance?

Well Ultima Online players have managed to seperate the player base where all the PVE'rs do their own thing along with the RP'rs and the PVP'rs... Anyone with a name like "p0wnmastOr" or DDCuty" which you rarely see in UO cause you can choose whatever you name you want to in UO up to 16 characters and have as many spaces as you want between that, so people don't struggle when they come up with a names to use, so you really won't see those type of names since we can't run out of names for people to use.. Other than that, you generally only see names like that in the PVP crowed in Felucca in UO, or sometimes at the Luna bank, besides that, it is very rare, usually they are a annoyance, but I tend to ignore them..

• DohnovahnDohnovahn Member Posts: 25

I miss RP in MMO's i use to roleplay in FFXI big time, and so did my whole LSimage

If anyone plays an mmo with a group of people who enjoy RP or has an RP guild let me know i wouldn't mind joining.

The Paladin

• AtaakaAtaaka Member UncommonPosts: 213

Any game that allows you to filter (get rid of) General Chat can be RPed without being side-tracked by non-Rper's.

One time, an RP guildmaster made it illegal to ride a mount except when joined by two or more guild mates. Rules like that keep the game slow and realistic to some degree. The players were not allowed to own more than one main character.

Rpers have to be true to the word. THey need high discipline in order to make RPing work in any environment that is sure to have nayers running about.

(Hopefully) good news about Rift! :)

Q: What types of servers will be available at launch? PvE, PvP, RP, etc.

A: Yeah, we'll have PvP, we'll have PvE, we'll have roleplaying servers, we'll have the full game.

http://www.curse.com/articles/rift-news/812863.aspx

• TahamtanTahamtan Member Posts: 232

Since there are so many of them that it causes mind numbing confusion just to find the right one *cough* maybe a list of these rare breed of MMOs could come in handy. In my long search to my dissapointment I only found these:

Lord of the Rings Online

World of Warcraft

Age of Conan

Rift: Planes of Telara (at least accoding to this Q&A it will have one)

Are there any more in this ocean of MMOs? You saw it, and its still Online? Just tell the name. :)

This is a nice list but why do you even need that list?

• ReizlaReizla Member RarePosts: 4,092

Originally posted by Tahamtan

Lord of the Rings Online

World of Warcraft

Age of Conan

Rift: Planes of Telara (at least accoding to this Q&A it will have one)

Easy... for the real role-player who wants more than just hack-n-slash and questing...

@OP  I remember there was one Lineage II server that was a self-proclaimed RP server, but that was before the merge. I'm not sure if the new server is still a self-proclaimed RP server. I'm also not sure what will happen after the coming merge...

Originally posted by Tahamtan

Its for all gamers who like to roleplay in a mmorpg but dislike doing it on a non-RP server for various reasons (silly names; behaviour; finding other RPers). Sure, these problems can still happen on a RP server, but usually not to an extreme and the GMs are allowed to kick the trolls from the servers (or warn them / enforce a name change).

Originally posted by Reizla
    Easy... for the real role-player who wants more than just hack-n-slash and questing...

@OP  I remember there was one Lineage II server that was a self-proclaimed RP server, but that was before the merge. I'm not sure if the new server is still a self-proclaimed RP server. I'm also not sure what will happen after the coming merge...

As much as I'd like to place L2 in the list afaik there is no official RP server. Inofficials are in as good as all mmorpgs. Also this servermerge sounds quite extreme with putting all US servers and all EU server into one each.

• FlyingbottleFlyingbottle Member Posts: 47

A nearby internet cafe near us offers aika global, and after giving it a try i can say that there are a lot of Filipino gamers there. The shout box (can be seen by the whole nation where you are a member of) is sometimes filled with the Filipino dialect lol. although the GMs ofcourse intervene msot of the time and force everyone to talk in english again. I won't be surprised if they eventually make a local server for this game

"The world's still the same - there's just less in it."

*update*

A new MMORPG stays true to the RP in its name. And *surprise* a AAA one again too ;)

Star Wars: The Old Republic will offer different server types that emphasize different styles of game play such as Player-vs-Environment, Player-vs-Player, and Role- Play. When your guild gets transferred into the game, it will be placed on the server type that most matches your selection.

Page two of: http://www.swtor.com/guilds/faq

Evil people could say now that you can recognize a cheap MMO for not having an official RP server :D *kidding*

• jingfoxxjingfoxx Member Posts: 54

I think you should add games to the list that have unofficial RP servers. Games where the community has made a joint decision to name a specific server in honor of RP. That would expand this list a little.

Ignorance may be Bliss, but Knowledge is Power

Originally posted by jingfoxx

I think you should add games to the list that have unofficial RP servers. Games where the community has made a joint decision to name a specific server in honor of RP. That would expand this list a little.

Basically a good Idea, but a bit too much for my timeframe. These are a lot of games and in several cases the UORP Server just shifts back to be non-rp due to several reasons. That all has to be constantly monitored to keep the thread up to date. But as said elswhere here: A RP community is in most MMORPGs & the knight "Fridgemaster1337" could care less if the server is UORP or not.

• TheMinnTheMinn Member Posts: 397

Hello Kitty Online

Originally posted by TheMinn

Hello Kitty Online

I do not want to diss your favourite game little one, but no, Hello Kitty has no dedicated RP servers.

Seriously:

I hate you for sending me on a Hello Kitty Online research. Will the pink ever wear off? oO

UPDATE: Added TERA to the list. Not sure about EU yet, but the EnMasse Serverlist has an official RP-PVE server listed :)

edit

No RP from Frogster (aka Tera EU). Last info I had was that you should have no trouble getting an enMasse account; not sure if its still true.

• soulofguardiansoulofguardian Member Posts: 3
    RP server, what is this???
    Originally posted by miso0904
    RP server, what is this???

The RP stands for Role Play as in Role Playing Games. A RP Server (aka Role Play Server) has an expanded ruleset upon the basic PVE or PVP Ruleset that encourages the aspect to play out the role of the character you play in the game by playing him/her like he/she is a part of the world. Essentially it boils down to:

-The name of the char fits the world & setting. (Example in typical fantasy setting: A character named "Miso0904" could be booted or renameenforced by a GM; a character named just "Miso" would be ok; on the other hand a cyborg in a scifi setting called "Miso0904" would be also ok)

-the "say" and "yell" channels are only used "in-character" (= IC) as in your character tells his buddy about the evil demon he slew in some town; nobody wants to hear RealLive stuff there (private tells are something different and group/guild channel better asked if OOC (=Out of character) or not).

Keeping these two simple rules on a RP Server does not make you a roleplayer, but its a) a good start and b) prevents b1) pissing off roleplayers and b2) getting unwanted GM attention.

Update:
    Just found out "The Secret World" has even 2 dedicated RP servers (both US). Sadly cannot update the opening post :/
  • Po_ggPo_gg Member EpicPosts: 5,749
    edited October 2015
    Update:
    Just found out "The Secret World" has even 2 dedicated RP servers (both US). Sadly cannot update the opening post :/
    Actually those are not RP "servers", TSW has single server tech and the Dimensions are just virtual, those are only matter in the persistent world pvp. You can change your current Dimension any time you want, and then return to your "home" Dimension.
    So choosing Arcadia for example is only a convenience selection... TSW has a great roleplay community, RP Dimensions used to have lots of roleplay events (like this one :wink: http://forums.mmorpg.com/discussion/438552/visible-dark#latest ) and if you plan to participate it's easier if your home Dim. is an RP one, you don't need to switch Dimensions every time there's an event going on. (but that's not a hassle either, two clicks and a loading screen)

In the last couple years (nice necro btw :lol: ) most games moved toward this direction, TOR has now only one RP after the merges, AoC has none (wasn't only a german one before, but now there's only 3 servers left after the merges, one for each ruleset).

Maybe LotRO sticks the most to the Rp side, with the upcoming server closes they will keep the US (Landy) and two of the Eu ones, closing only the french RP (Estel) - and already stated for the voices who wants RP rule loosenings, that the rulesets will stay and migrating players should either accept those, or choose a non-RP server.
    (Complains are because currently there's a 3 out of 14 ratio on the Eu side, which will turn 2 out of 5 servers after the closes, less room for non-rp folks)
    Po_gg said:
    Update:
    Actually ...<snip>
    Good to know :) So kind of massive server-cluster with equally massive instances? But in the end I guess it qualfies to the list since it is in the spirit of it but a bit (admittingly big bit) different in the tchnical details.

About the necro part: Hey, its supposed to be list for ppl looking for RP realms; cannot go necro unless the MMOs turn their servers off ;)