Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Star Wars Galaxies: October Producer's Letter

2»

Comments

• Jyd111Jyd111 Member UncommonPosts: 27

Originally posted by KyBo

Sweet Christ, IT'S BEEN 5 YEARS NOW, GROW UP.

I understand being angry about the CU being removed, but not after 5 years.  There's no defense for Pre-CU, it f*cking sucked, period.  Pre-CU was a buggy, exploit riddled mess, with pathetically little content, unless you liked running around grinding mostly non-canon creatures.  The combat system made no sense whatsoever.  Punching people from 20m away and being able to win 90% of fights simply using DKD was just retarded.

I'll grant without question that NGE SWG leaves a hell of a lot to be desired, but I'll take NGE SWG, even as jacked up as it is now, over Pre-CU.  It was that terrible of a game, no matter how rose-colored the glasses some people look back at Pre-CU through.

If it were really that special, as a Star Wars IP, it would have brought in a lot more 220k subs.

Yes finally someone that is living in the real world and knows how big a piece of sh%$ pre-CU really was.

Give me back SWG at sunset and keep adding to it and I would pay twice what it was costing.

• BirbaBirba Member Posts: 2

PRE CU FOR EVER!!!

• yevoc42yevoc42 Member Posts: 34

Wow!  SWTOR came out and we have no players.  That is really cool.  Oh yeah and there's a fun twist to our finale before we shut the servers down.  That's right, we're bringing Pre-CU back for 1 day so that you can all re-experience the fun we worked so very hard to destroy.  Awesome!

• KazaraKazara Member UncommonPosts: 1,086

The producer's note seems to be more of a rehash of recycled content and rewards. While I applaud the effort Teesquared has put forth with such limited resources on a dying game, this NGE version of SWG is still an epic fail. The closed servers and the current ghost-town servers (more than half the remaining servers) are a testament to that. 350k+ or so players pre-NGE may not have been the target population numbers $OE originally wanted, but it certainly beats the <5% remaining now.

• MinmatorMinmator Member Posts: 14

How can a dev be excited about new gifts? Plus doesnt that game already have more than enough collections? They are running short of ideas and options... Bout NNGE? LOL

This is so embarrassing.

They could merge at least 4 more servers, fix the lag both in public and in instances (is Hoth even playable now?), bring new graphics, create new sandbox planets to allow more cities to be created, new expansion, etc.

Both SWTOR and EVE:Incarna are gonna kill that game... Might be for the best.

• JYCowboyJYCowboy Member UncommonPosts: 652

Originally posted by Plageron

wow this game is still going....

All i wanted toplay was a bio-engineer...but they took that away...

never did fix their pet problems...nor the mount problems...

They took away the creature handler too...

I did log on once....or twice....with the new system....but i thought it was still pathetic....

Considering that the first level frogs still poison players...and they still cant buy an antidote to fix it...nope only a high level medic or doctor could fix it....

And now i dont really know what they stil have in that game

I got an email telling me my structures had been destroyed by other players....so no real point to even try and play

not that it would matter...they probably still have random mosnters that spawn into your house still.

Wow, dude.  SWG did have advances since you played 4 years ago.  There is now a new pet system with a much more compicated way to make and train creatures.

Your house is not destroyed.  It was forced "packed-up" into your data pad so you don't take up space on a character your not playing.  Whatever was in it should still be there.

Low level critters usally cause damage but rarely Damage Over Time (DOT).  Even if this is an issue, you can buy heal stims from the tutorial space station to cover you until you get your self heal.

Your comments are pretty much the common additude I run into with folks.  They played SWG around 5 years ago and they think its just like that now.  Kinda like a FPS single player game that never gets updated.  That said, SWG is really on the back burner as SOE is throwing all its crew into DCUO with its now delayed launch.

• Daffid011Daffid011 Member UncommonPosts: 7,945

Originally posted by Jyd111

Originally posted by KyBo

Sweet Christ, IT'S BEEN 5 YEARS NOW, GROW UP.

I understand being angry about the CU being removed, but not after 5 years.  There's no defense for Pre-CU, it f*cking sucked, period.  Pre-CU was a buggy, exploit riddled mess, with pathetically little content, unless you liked running around grinding mostly non-canon creatures.  The combat system made no sense whatsoever.  Punching people from 20m away and being able to win 90% of fights simply using DKD was just retarded.

I'll grant without question that NGE SWG leaves a hell of a lot to be desired, but I'll take NGE SWG, even as jacked up as it is now, over Pre-CU.  It was that terrible of a game, no matter how rose-colored the glasses some people look back at Pre-CU through.

If it were really that special, as a Star Wars IP, it would have brought in a lot more 220k subs.

Yes finally someone that is living in the real world and knows how big a piece of sh%$ pre-CU really was.

The reality is that far more people enjoyed the game prior to the NGE than they have in the past five years combinded.  It is not even a contest to make such a comparison. 

Yes the game was a mess Pre-cu.  Yes it was an even bigger mess during the combat upgrade.  Yes it has been a much larger mess for the past 5 years under the NGE.  One has to consider what little has been fixed or added to swg in the last FIVE years and what might have been done had some half ass design changes been thrust into the game. 

No, I don't want the old swg back.

• TwwIXTwwIX Member Posts: 203

John Smedley should have been fired after the NGE fiasco. SWG was a fairly successful mmo and had plenty of players before that travesty. I have encountered countless of refugees in the numerous MMO's that i have tested over the years and they all were flabbergasted by the idiotic decision SOE made. I was once a member of one of the biggest guilds on Bria, called Vengeance re Served. We hundreds of members and the biggest city on Tatooine. It turned into a complete ghost town in the matter of days after the release of NGE. To this day, i ask myself, what the fuck was SOE thinking?

• sessssesss Member Posts: 2

Yes it had its bugs but to this day after 1000s of MMOs preCU still was the most diverse and complicated MMO by the means of choises you could make as a player.

Never has so many proffessions been available to skill up in to mix and match YOUR way of living the true Star Wars saga (without zombies)

Have yet to see a MMO as living as when you landed in Cnet and see 1000s of people everywhere doing their trading spam not only for their vendor but for their entire shopping halls with filled vendors, bufflines filled with newcomes to the game randomly interrupted by a bounty hunter capping his mark, people meeting in the cantina getting buffs (remember Jolen in the backroom), people clearing wounds after hours of grinding swapping stories preparing to head out again, 100s of medics training in the med centre (remember those days earning money by taunting/warcry to get healed?) Where guilds/klans where declaring war on eachother EVERYWHERE. The WHOLE world was a battleground! When krayt dragons where a rare and special occasion to find and fight (spending 6 hours a day looking to find one and for me.. I'll do it again in a heartbeat paying for it)

SWG was alive!.... and it didnt f*ing suck ^^

I agree with this above, SWG was in my experience both the Best & worst game i have ever played.

Before the NGE it was amazing it was a living game , after  the NGE it became a mindless zombie, dumbed down to a point where people saw no reason in continuing, we liked it because it was tough and because you had to think and work  together for a goal, it wasnt handed to us on a plate.

Even so for future MMO games  to ignore it is stupid, as it offered so much, the most important being choice! As well as a viable economy, housing, communities built by players , vehicles , inter guild/faction  unforced pvp,  space adventure and so much more.

Swtor will not fill 1/10th of the void Pre NGE SWG left in the MMO world.