Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Will there be stealth classes?

Easy enough question, will there be stealth classes?

Debate away. No punches below the belt. Go back to your corners and wait for the bell..

Comments

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • UnlightUnlight Member Posts: 2,540

Four classes have been revealed.  None of them are stealth classes.  Four are yet to be revealed.  No one but ArenaNet knows what they are and they ain't talking...yet.  You're going to have to wait for the final reveal, which likely won't be until year end, if not next year.

• endersshadowendersshadow Member Posts: 296

Originally posted by DanMcC

Yeah.

SWEET!

Thanks Dan.

Originally posted by Unlight

Four classes have been revealed.  None of them are stealth classes.  Four are yet to be revealed.  No one but ArenaNet knows what they are and they ain't talking...yet.  You're going to have to wait for the final reveal, which likely won't be until year end, if not next year.

Thanks Unlight.

Bad Dan..bad bad bad. No pie for you!

• GundricGundric Member UncommonPosts: 345

I could be wrong but I think Rangers can dual wield swords but I haven't heard anything about them using dual daggers.  The reason I bring this up is because of this image that was in the recently posted GW2 blog entry  "A Rewarding Experience".

The dual daggers in the image makes me think that there will be an assassin class and if so there could be stealth too.

• rbc13183rbc13183 Member Posts: 208

I think it has been stated somewhere that certain pets will be able to use stealth. It would be stupid if only pets could use stealth, and not players, so I conclude that certain players will be able to use stealth. Stealth classes. There ya go.

"Everyone dies. It is how one lives that matters."
    — Artemis Entreri (R.A. Salvatore)

"P.S. MAKE NO DEALS WITH THE WOLF." -Durzo Blint-

"But, there is one they fear.

In their tongue, he is Dovahkiin -- Dragonborn!" -Game of the Century-

• QuizzicalQuizzical Member LegendaryPosts: 25,351

Guild Wars 1 has an assassin class but no stealth.  My guess is that GW2 won't have stealth, either, but I don't know.  I hope it doesn't.

• Shroom_MageShroom_Mage Member UncommonPosts: 863

A rogue class is highly suspected mainly because of this image:

Each of the classes announced so far has concept art in the exact same style as that one, and each class's artwork has been in its own color scheme, so it's suspected that this is concept art for another class.

More info: http://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Professions_reveal#Other_related_concept_art

Apparently, some Ranger pets can use stealth. If that's true, then stealth it at least in the game. Nobody knows if rogues (or whatever they are called) will get it.

"Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind." -Dr. Seuss

Originally posted by Shroom_Mage

A rogue class is highly suspected mainly because of this image:

Each of the classes announced so far has concept art in the exact same style as that one, and each class's artwork has been in its own color scheme, so it's suspected that this is concept art for another class.

More info: http://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Professions_reveal#Other_related_concept_art

Apparently, some Ranger pets can use stealth. If that's true, then stealth it at least in the game. Nobody knows if rogues (or whatever they are called) will get it.

I need to take a cold shower now ;)

Cant wait to see what they have in store.

• invaderzladinvaderzlad Member Posts: 19

ArenaNet made Assassin in GW1 to play at least as good (even better imho) as any stealth class in any other game I played. They proven they can do Assassin fun to play without it. I doubt they will want to (unnecessary) complicate their life by implementing it.

www.gamersbook.com - Community for Gamers.

Originally posted by invaderzlad

ArenaNet made Assassin in GW1 to play at least as good (even better imho) as any stealth class in any other game I played. They proven they can do Assassin fun to play without it. I doubt they will want to (unnecessary) complicate their life by implementing it.

Without even touching the "STEALTH IS OVERPOWERED" and all the debate that really revolves around one theme, FAIRNESS, I will give my opinion as to why I hope there is stealth.

Depth of gameplay. I'll keep this short and sweet. In DAOCs pvp, stealthers added another level to pvp...maybe deeper than any mmo because stealthers could see other stealthers so I had to rely on them as I was a caster at the time. They would tell me, "watch out, there is a stealther behind that tree" or" that guy might look alone but he has a stealther with him."

There was a war of the stealthers that intertwined, crossed paths and affected the non stealthers in group vs group fights that are very similar to what will be W v W v W of GW2.

Its another fight in a way that goes on behind the scenes. In wide open group vs group fights a bit of strategy comes into play. Does the stealther of the group pitch in to focus fire one target? Does the stealther stay near a support class to defend them from another stealther? Does the stealther go after the other groups support class? Maybe the stealther gets in behind enemy lines and causes some confusion with crowd control.

At one time I was completely against the no healer thing, now however, I am about 50/50. I think it could work well but ultimately if you as a player love to play COMPLETE support classes--healing being one of the purest, I dont think those types of players will like it. 

I said that to say this -To go one step further and basically say, well lets get rid of another fundamental, stealth classes....to me is going way over the top.

In the end, yes I realize that making a class that has stealth presents challenges to the devs. But personally? I dont care. 

• RageaholRageahol Member UncommonPosts: 1,127

would rather have Anet put shadowstep   and not stealth

shadowstep is a lot better IMO and i think it plays much more fluid and fast paced then normal stealth

• Loke666Loke666 Member EpicPosts: 21,441

I have my doubts. And I am not so sure that I think stealth is really needed in this kind of game anyways.

In a game like Baldurs gate it is very practical but in a MMO were there aren't many non combat missions ('cept FEDEX quests) is the need for it not as great.

GW1 had no stealth and it worked fine anyways.

But to be honest is the whole thing no biggie for me, stealth or no stealth both works fine.

• illspawnillspawn Member UncommonPosts: 81

I would like to see stealthers, but if they don't have them it still won't keep me from playing.

• djazzydjazzy Member Posts: 3,578

As long as shadowform is out of the game then it's all good to me.

Originally posted by needalife214

shadowstep is a lot better IMO and i think it plays much more fluid and fast paced then normal stealth

Sure then why your at it,

-we can do away with the energy mechanic

-give stealthers tank armor

-every move has no positional requirement

-no cooldowns

and hey if we have done all that, we can just give them another name other than assassin.

Because if if you take stealth away from a class like a Rogue that typically has stealth, it is no longer a rogue.

In response to Lokie, I see you around, but I dont know what your take on PvP is? Thats where I really feel the strongest about it.

For pve, I like it in the game I currently play because I dont have any mechanics that heal me, so if I am farming for something or doing alot of fighting, I rely on avoiding damage via getting the opener, stuns and restealthing on another mob.

To say "Its not needed"... well, nothing is needed. The game isnt needed, dps isnt needed, more than one class..hmm is it needed?

I am using a bit of hyperbole but you get the point. The devs could design a world where anything works. That doesnt mean they should.

Originally posted by arenasb

Lets use terms everyone understands, do you mean Invisibility?

How about this. If stealth makes it into game, when your server tees off against my server, I will find each of you and give you my condolences, in an up close and personal way.  ;)

• djazzydjazzy Member Posts: 3,578

Originally posted by endersshadow

How about this. If stealth makes it into game, when your server tees off against my server, I will find each of you and give you my condolences, in an up close and personal way.  ;)

Sorry, I was refering to the GW skill Shadow Form. It was unbalanced for so long that it became a joke. Honestly I don't think the devs knew the best way to balance it. It basically made you immune to about every form of damage for a period of time.

If they put in stealth then I hope they put some sort of limitation. Either a timer like warhammer or some kind of environment gauge that determine your stealth's effectiveness such as in AoC. Just a blanket stealth, such as in WoW, would be boring to me. 

• DookzDookz Member UncommonPosts: 562

Originally posted by Blitz555

I could be wrong but I think Rangers can dual wield swords but I haven't heard anything about them using dual daggers.  The reason I bring this up is because of this image that was in the recently posted GW2 blog entry  "A Rewarding Experience".

The dual daggers in the image makes me think that there will be an assassin class and if so there could be stealth too.

Elementalists can equip dual daggers as well. I also think the redone assassin will have specialty in dual daggers.

Playing now: Cities: Skyline / Ori and the Blind Forest / Banished

• jonnyboy098jonnyboy098 Member Posts: 55

I hope there is going to be a stealth class, Assassin FTW!

• Loke666Loke666 Member EpicPosts: 21,441

Originally posted by jonnyboy098

I hope there is going to be a stealth class, Assassin FTW!

As someone pointed out earlier, Assassin was in the first GW but have no stealth then.  Still a really great class.

So even if assassin is in (which might be slightly against Tyrias lore, assassins are from Cantha) it doesn't mean that they can stealth. They might have added it or they might not have, we can just guess.

• Shroom_MageShroom_Mage Member UncommonPosts: 863

Originally posted by needalife214

Necros have a type of shadow step in Death Shroud.

Personally, I think they could have stealth without much of a problem. It would just have to be a lot more limited than in WoW. Maybe being in stealth drains your energy, for example.

"Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind." -Dr. Seuss

Sorry, I was refering to the GW skill Shadow Form. It was unbalanced for so long that it became a joke. Honestly I don't think the devs knew the best way to balance it. It basically made you immune to about every form of damage for a period of time.

If they put in stealth then I hope they put some sort of limitation. Either a timer like warhammer or some kind of environment gauge that determine your stealth's effectiveness such as in AoC. Just a blanket stealth, such as in WoW, would be boring to me. 

How long does shadow form last for?

The only thing I can compare that to is Cloak of Shadows for Rogues in WoW. It removes all magic based dots (wont remove diseases, poisons, or bleeds) and it will make you near immune to almost everything for a VERY short period of time.

In WoW its needed...too boring to explain other than  clos is broke, Vanish is broke, Stealth is broke and AOE is out of control.

• NudlesNudles Member UncommonPosts: 54

This is NOT a debate. Stay on topic. If you feel the need to debate, let me give those of you that want to debate some advice straight from Ron White, "The next time you have a thought, let it go".

If you cant let it go, make another thread.

Thank you.

A bit ironic when you explain why you think stealth is beneficial... that will bring some debating into the table... won't it ?

But anyway, when Factions was released and assassin class made it into GW, many ppl were upset with the lack of stealth features. One of the main reasons it wasn't put into the game was game balance according to the existing game mechanics - although GW has plenty of PvE, GW has PvP at it's heart (hence the game's title) and only later they introduced PvE versions of existing PvP skills and PvE exclusive skills.

But GW assassin fans are plenty and the class mechanics work well even with the lack of one of the assassin's trademark feat found in the RPG genre.

I've played a few MMO's with stealth classes and in the end stealth was either criticised as being op and nerfed or the skill itself lacked good mechanis to make it a viable and yet a balanced feature.

As for GW2 , even if they decide to introduce the class and stealth into the game, they will give it much thought to make it the most balanced possible while staying usefull. Anet, is known for constant game mechanics updates with GW with the aim of making more balanced gameplay... some ppl love the nerf bat and some ppl hate it...

Here's a link to GW1 assassin skills: http://wiki.guildwars.com/wiki/Assassin_skills

Originally posted by Nudles

This is NOT a debate. Stay on topic. If you feel the need to debate, let me give those of you that want to debate some advice straight from Ron White, "The next time you have a thought, let it go".

If you cant let it go, make another thread.

Thank you.

A bit ironic when you explain why you think stealth is beneficial... that will bring some debating into the table... won't it ?

But anyway, when Factions was released and assassin class made it into GW, many ppl were upset with the lack of stealth features. One of the main reasons it wasn't put into the game was game balance according to the existing game mechanics - although GW has plenty of PvE, GW has PvP at it's heart (hence the game's title) and only later they introduced PvE versions of existing PvP skills and PvE exclusive skills.

But GW assassin fans are plenty and the class mechanics work well even with the lack of one of the assassin's trademark feat found in the RPG genre.

I've played a few MMO's with stealth classes and in the end stealth was either criticised as being op and nerfed or the skill itself lacked good mechanis to make it a viable and yet a balanced feature.

As for GW2 , even if they decide to introduce the class and stealth into the game, they will give it much thought to make it the most balanced possible while staying usefull. Anet, is known for constant game mechanics updates with GW with the aim of making more balanced gameplay... some ppl love the nerf bat and some ppl hate it...

Here's a link to GW1 assassin skills: http://wiki.guildwars.com/wiki/Assassin_skills

Good post.  

As to my note, I didnt want this to turn into some flame war, which it very easily could have. One side calls the other side carebears, and the other side calls stealth cheap and unfair-----and before I even get an answer, people are bickering.

But I got my answer. Let the bickering begin.

Ill start.

I think you would be hard pressed to find a large group of people who played a stealth class in pvp, enjoyed it, and argue against stealth.

On the other hand, I could find a million healers who turn there nose up at pvp generally, that absolutely think stealth and more importantly rogue types are completely unfair.

For me, it goes both ways. Ive been on the giving end of a rogue (melee stealth) class and Ive been on the receiving end. It can suck either way.

If you are the soft caster, it can seem like you never got a chance to fight back.

If you are the rogue(melee stealth), it can seem like your burst wasnt enough and once your glass cannon was spent, your at the mercy of the other class.

As a note, thieves were UNDERpowered in Shadowbane.

Rogues have been both Overpowered and Underpowered in WoW

DAOC stealthers were Overpowered unless you were fighting a RR5 Sorc.

In AION they were generally underpowered.

In WARhammer they were semi balanced.