Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Warhammer Online: Age of Reckoning: September Producer's Letter

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129

The September edition of the Warhammer Online Producer's Letter has hit the Net. Carrie Gouskos has a lot to say and has more detail to reveal about the ORVR changes, the playable Skaven classes, the renown changes, and the Barber Surgeon. The Barber Surgeon is the guy who will literally take your face off and give you a new one if you have the right price.

While the changes we’re making to ORVR represent a holistic attitude shift in our current gameplay offering within a single zone, the campaign itself won’t be changing. Players will need to unlock the zones in order and choose which zone to fight in. All zones, once contested, will begin with each Realm owning one Keep, and the purpose is to take control of the other. The purpose is for players to fight over the Battlefield Objectives, generating Resource Carriers that will travel from the battlefield objective to their Warcamp. Once the resources reach the Warcamp, or if the other side intercepts the resource, those resources will be added to their Realm total. No longer will the win condition be based on waiting out timers after a quick capture of all the zone objectives, instead it will be based on a push-and-pull of resources, and even if one Realm is outnumbered, the longer they hold out the battle, the more points they earn for their side.

It's a long and detailed letter and well worth the time to read. Check it out at the Warhammer Herald.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• RymosRymos Member CommonPosts: 58

so beautiful ;_;

• ManchineManchine Member UncommonPosts: 469

Looking good.

(In before the haters come.)

• Vostroyan1Vostroyan1 Member Posts: 2

Wonder how Rat Ogre will work, or even more importantly, how they will even try to fake lore up that the skaven can work with order factions.

War is coming

• jawalijawali Member UncommonPosts: 195

if Orcs can work together with chaos (what is imo stupid) than skaven can as well

• HersaintHersaint Member UncommonPosts: 366

very interesting. Im checking back in with Warhammer.

• Tyraell91Tyraell91 Member Posts: 25

Nice update!

• gaeanprayergaeanprayer Member UncommonPosts: 2,341

Is it f2p yet? Noes? Kay.

"Forums aren't for intelligent discussion; they're for blow-hards with unwavering opinions."

• AOCtesterAOCtester Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 431

These changes have huge flaws that are very much gonna become very aparent in testing.  So dont get your hopes up. 

• pekshmaerpekshmaer Member Posts: 58

nice info, resub XD

hmm

• flexo565flexo565 Member UncommonPosts: 2

qft

• Rockgod99Rockgod99 Member Posts: 4,640
    Can Bioware fix Warhammer? It's looking cool so far but that could just be me really wanting Warhammer to be a great game. The IP deserves it.

Playing: Rift, LotRO
    Waiting on: GW2, BP

• SilverelSilverel Member UncommonPosts: 24

Originally posted by gaeanprayer

Nor will it ever be F2P. Still checking in every article anyway? Yeah? Kay.

• Frostbite05Frostbite05 Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 1,880

really tempted to play again after hearing this. They might have actually found a way to start increasing their population if they do things right.

• Honeymoon69Honeymoon69 Member Posts: 647
    its monster play u know it doesnt fit the lore but anything goes where they r desperate.
  • MumboJumboMumboJumbo Member UncommonPosts: 3,219

It's mmo so the gameplay > lore (obviously not ott) so changes to that effect are positive.

"but only if they’ve earned them!) These classes include the defensive constructible building Warlock Engineer, the stealthy sabotaging Gutter Runner, the tank, rat-hurling Rat Ogre, and the supportive rat-harnassing Packmaster.  Skaven are some of the coolest creatures in Warhammer lore, and we think you’ll have a real dilemma on your hands as you decide to fight alongside your trusty character(s) or harnass the sneaky power of the rat rat thing thing."

They should have built the game on a modular expansion design plan: Initial start 3 races available 4 classes, with a smaller but more interactive map with closer fitting RvR zones and keep battles etc WITH THE INTENTION of every 6 months a new expansion of a new race/faction for players to try out, new players to play and favorites to be made. It would have fitted the IP, it would have fitted the "gotta collect 'em all" spirit of WH armies and it would have been a lot more fun and successful.

The Skaven addition is the best news for this game since release, imo.

• HokieHokie Member UncommonPosts: 1,063

Originally posted by AOCtester

These changes have huge flaws that are very much gonna become very aparent in testing.  So dont get your hopes up. 

I see them too. But you know what, the fact that they understand the ORvR experience is lacking and needs a change is good. Even if there may be some problems to begin with. It shows they are trying.

Better than you know promising class balances then putting their heads in the sand for 6 months thinking the the Land of the Dead will be the games messiah.

"I understand that if I hear any more words come pouring out of your **** mouth, Ill have to eat every fucking chicken in this room."

• warchantwarchant Member Posts: 69

I enjoyed the PvE...

Rip out the ENTIRE RvR system and redesign it using DAOC's system and the three realm, frontiers, siege warfare approach as a guide (not a copy, but a solid guide) and they might earn a healthy player base in the form of DAOC vets that can not find the mechanics and atmosphere they are looking for since WAR failed so miserably. Heck they might even steal some of WoW's thunder because there are many players that want a less confined, more epic PvP experience in WoW and Wintersgrasp doesn't cut the butter IMO.

Otherwise, I predict that WoW will keep it's boot firmly on WAR's neck.

They will never achieve the promise it once had, but they DO have a path to salvation at least.. They just have to find the spirit to make it happen, IMO.

• SwaneaSwanea Member UncommonPosts: 2,401

You really can't expect bioware to do anything with this game since TOR will be out next year.  I'm pretty sure those left at Mythic (While still under Bioware), are all that's left really "manning" the project.

From what I have read and heard, there will be 3 "packs"  One focusing on a certain part of the game.  RvR (80-100 levels), PvE (zones, pve gear, pqs, etc), and "cosmetic" (stuff that relates to looks, dyes, mounts, ingame items).

Oh, and I expect each pack will be sold separately.  And this will gauge how much they wish to "tailor our exprierence rather then a HUGE XP" like they said.

• OzmodanOzmodan Member EpicPosts: 9,726

Originally posted by Manchine

Looking good.

Love people that can't stand criticism.  If you have not figured it out yet, I feel sorry for you, the game is beyond hope, the design is just flawed beyond repair.  I don't see this game making it through next year, they don't have the subs and these changes won't bring many back, just too little too late.

This game is in it's death knells.   Just a matter of time before EA pulls the plug.

• Frostbite05Frostbite05 Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 1,880

not so much the criticism ozmodan but the senseless bashing games get even though most of the complaints from launch have been fixed.

• DistopiaDistopia Member EpicPosts: 21,183

Originally posted by Ozmodan

Love people that can't stand criticism.  If you have not figured it out yet, I feel sorry for you, the game is beyond hope, the design is just flawed beyond repair.  I don't see this game making it through next year, they don't have the subs and these changes won't bring many back, just too little too late.

This game is in it's death knells.   Just a matter of time before EA pulls the plug.

I love people who confuse a hater with those offering critical opinion. There's a huge difference between hating on a game and critcizing it. It's the same difference between a person who is a fan of a game and a person who is a fanboi of a game. One is an extreme the other is not, it's that simple. It's scary some don't know the difference.

You're most likely right that WAR will never regain the possibility of success. However that doesn't mean the game is doomed. As long as it continues to gain some players, as well as encourages older players to stick around and/or come back. It will be fine.

As far as the design goes, it's fine in my opinion. Where they went wrong was in the execution. They seem to actually care about changing that, that's all you can really hope for at this point.

BTW I don't think anyone needs your sympathy, it's only a game afterall.

For every minute you are angry , you lose 60 seconds of happiness."-Emerson

• Rockgod99Rockgod99 Member Posts: 4,640
    How do we know they don't have the subs? I've seen no official announcement. As far as we know WAR has over 100k subs and that's only slightly below average (150k).

Playing: Rift, LotRO
    Waiting on: GW2, BP

• DAS1337DAS1337 Member UncommonPosts: 2,610

Originally posted by Ozmodan

Originally posted by Manchine

Looking good.

If Darkfall can stick around with 15k subs, I'm sure WAR will manage with a measly 100k...

I think there are many flaws as well, but the game is fairly polished..and you can't say that about most MMO's out there right now.  Hell, I could have told them at launch that more people would be interested in instanced RvR rather than ORvR.  It makes you wonder how these people are allowed to sit in on game discussions and don't have a clue while the real gamers out here know what's going to happen before it happens..

• Loke666Loke666 Member EpicPosts: 21,441

Originally posted by DAS1337

If Darkfall can stick around with 15k subs, I'm sure WAR will manage with a measly 100k...

Agreed but the speculations is more if EA will allow it or not. The had no problem with Terminating Tabula Rasa that had something like 85K players so you can't really be sure (but you can be sure that WAR really should avoid losing 15K players more).

Trusting EA might not be a good idea no matter what and Mythic need to get more players one way or another if nothing else but to prove to EA that the game can support itself.

I have no doubt that WAR could be run for years as long as it have enough players to pay for the servers but the same was true for Tabula rasa and Sims online. No need to panic of course but that doesn't mean that the devs should relax, they need to make the game more fun so more players join.

WAR is fun in the short run but not so much in the long one (opinion). They should fix that, DAoC was the other way around so they should be able to do just that.

• sloebersloeber Member UncommonPosts: 504

Originally posted by gaeanprayer

get a job......and learn how to type while you'r at it.