Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Expansions question

TalonsinTalonsin Member EpicPosts: 3,619

Are there only two expansions or three?  I keep seeing "Shadows of Angmar". Is that the original game or the first expansion?  Can anyone recommend a good place to pick up the expansions?

Thanks

"Sean (Murray) saying MP will be in the game is not remotely close to evidence that at the point of purchase people thought there was MP in the game."  - SEANMCAD

Comments

• AlexTheTallAlexTheTall Member Posts: 174

It's the original game! 2 expansions...

• TalonsinTalonsin Member EpicPosts: 3,619

Thanks,

Any idea where to find these cheap?  I looked at amazon and mirkwood is not even listed.

"Sean (Murray) saying MP will be in the game is not remotely close to evidence that at the point of purchase people thought there was MP in the game."  - SEANMCAD

• Frostbite05Frostbite05 Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 1,880

mirkwood was a digital release only

• AlexTheTallAlexTheTall Member Posts: 174

Originally posted by Talonsin

Thanks,

Any idea where to find these cheap?  I looked at amazon and mirkwood is not even listed.

Well the main game is actually free... For Mine of Moria box version I have no clue.

• Odium420Odium420 Member Posts: 18

I just have a question to add on here.

I have the F2P account. I recently found an old Special Edition Shadows of Angmar box I had picked up for $5 in a bargain bin a few years ago. I would like to get the Mines of Moria XP also.

So, how do I go about setting these us? Should I activate the first game now and then order MoM from amazon for $10? Using both of there will that give me 60 days of VIP? Should I just skip the original game and get MoM if I cna only use 30 days?

What is the best process for this? Thanks so much.

Also, if Mirkwood is online only, I don't see it in the LORTO Store. Where do you buy it?

• ariestearieste Member UncommonPosts: 3,309

Here is what I would suggest:

1. Buy the $5 original box as well as the $10 moria box NOW, while they're still available.  Don't use the codes.

2. Get your current character to level 20 while staying F2P.

3.  Use up your SoA code.   This will unlock your character's virtues, bank slots, etc.  This will give you one month of VIP.

4.  Play your one month of VIP.  Enjoy yourself, do whatever you want.  No need to rush or do anything special.  Be sure to get the riding skill. 

5.  When your month runs out, use up your Moria code.  This will give you a 2nd month of VIP.  Before this 2nd month runs out, be sure to do the following:

1.  Create any other characters that you really want to play or may want to play in the future.  Log them in at least once, this will unlock their bank and virtue slots.

2.   If you feel you're going to play the game for a long time and play alts extensively, play the new characters to 20 and get them the free riding skill.  

3.   Depending on how much you play, after 2 months you want to play your main character all the way through the original game.  Or if not, then you at least want to complete several of the zones so that you don't have to buy them later.  If your character is 50 at the end of the 2 months, then the next thing you'll be doing is moria and you already own all of that content forever!

4.  At the end of your 2 months, you'll have 1000 TP from the 2 months of VIP as well as about another 1000 from doing various deeds and things in-game as you level up.  This is assuming you don't grind TP, if you grind TP, you can have a lot more.  (mmorsel  is a really good guide for earning TP).  So at the end of you 2 months, you'll have about 2000 TP to spend.  If you're 50 and you want to play the endgame exclusively, you can use that TP to purchase Mirkwood (tiny expansion that gives you level 60-65 and that most people say is not necessary if you have MoM).  If you're ok with Moria endgame but would really prefer to play a couple of your alts instead, then you can puchase at least 3 different quest packs.  Having gone through the game on your main, you'll know which ones to get.  Best bet is probably Lone-lands, Evendim and Angmar.    If you're still not 50 by the end of the two months, you need to buy whatever expacs will get you to there, which will depend on what level you are.

This is just one person's opinion and this is what i would do if i were in your shoes.  I'm doing something similar myself, except that I had no access to original box and just bought moria for only 1 free month instead of 2.

"I’d rather work on something with great potential than on fulfilling a promise of mediocrity."

- Raph Koster

Tried: AO,EQ,EQ2,DAoC,SWG,AA,SB,HZ,CoX,PS,GA,TR,IV,GnH,EVE, PP,DnL,WAR,MxO,SWG,FE,VG,AoC,DDO,LoTRO,Rift,TOR,Aion,Tera,TSW,GW2,DCUO,CO,STO
    Favourites: AO,SWG,EVE,TR,LoTRO,TSW,EQ2, Firefall
    Currently Playing: ESO

• RocketeerRocketeer Member UncommonPosts: 1,303

Originally posted by arieste

Here is what I would suggest:

1. Buy the $5 original box as well as the $10 moria box NOW, while they're still available.  Don't use the codes.

2. Get your current character to level 20 while staying F2P.

3.  Use up your SoM code.   This will unlock your character's virtues, bank slots, etc.  This will give you one month of VIP.

4.  Play your one month of VIP.  Enjoy yourself, do whatever you want.  No need to rush or do anything special.  Be sure to get the riding skill. 

5.  When your month runs out, use up your Moria code.  This will give you a 2nd month of VIP.  Before this 2nd month runs out, be sure to do the following:

1.  Create any other characters that you really want to play or may want to play in the future.  Log them in at least once, this will unlock their bank and virtue slots.

2.   If you feel you're going to play the game for a long time and play alts extensively, play the new characters to 20 and get them the free riding skill.  

3.   Depending on how much you play, after 2 months you want to play your main character all the way through the original game.  Or if not, then you at least want to complete several of the zones so that you don't have to buy them later.  If your character is 50 at the end of the 2 months, then the next thing you'll be doing is moria and you already own all of that content forever!

4.  At the end of your 2 months, you'll have 1000 TP from the 2 months of VIP as well as about another 1000 from doing various deeds and things in-game as you level up.  This is assuming you don't grind TP, if you grind TP, you can have a lot more.  (mmorsel  is a really good guide for earning TP).  So at the end of you 2 months, you'll have about 2000 TP to spend.  If you're 50 and you want to play the endgame exclusively, you can use that TP to purchase Mirkwood (tiny expansion that gives you level 60-65 and that most people say is not necessary if you have MoM).  If you're ok with Moria endgame but would really prefer to play a couple of your alts instead, then you can puchase at least 3 different quest packs.  Having gone through the game on your main, you'll know which ones to get.  Best bet is probably Lone-lands, Evendim and Angmar.    If you're still not 50 by the end of the two months, you need to buy whatever expacs will get you to there, which will depend on what level you are.

This is just one person's opinion and this is what i would do if i were in your shoes.  I'm doing something similar myself, except that I had no access to original box and just bought moria for only 1 free month instead of 2.

Small but important correction, you obviously mean SoA in 3. SoM is siege of mirkwood, the second expansion which does not include 30 days VIP, and is only sold digitally in store. This might confuse people as MoM, the first expansion is in retail stores anddoes grant 30 days VIP.

Also SoM is very necessary since Moria no longer has a endgame and SoM offers a ton more than just 5 new levels like new LIs, Skills, Skirmishes and all endgame instances(running level 60 instance is not endgame, youll notice that when you have 3 65 in your group) and every new expansions and possibly some new questpacks will require it. Even the dungeon scaling won't change this, that will only mean that even less people run the moria instances onlevel instead of at level 65. 

• ariestearieste Member UncommonPosts: 3,309

Good catch, i did mean SoA.  

I don't know first hand about Mirkwood, but asking people in-game and online, the advice I got was that it's really not worth the money.  That there are plenty of people still running moria stuff as endgame and that Mirkwood was something to get once you had nothing else to do basically.    Obviously there is the level cap increase and it would be required for future expacs.  But I don't have first hand experience with it yet and can't comment.   Personally, i DO plan to get it as i'm not really an alt-a-holic and just plan to play my one character to endgame.  So as long as i get my toon to 50 by the end of my VIP month, mirkwood will be what i get.

"I’d rather work on something with great potential than on fulfilling a promise of mediocrity."

- Raph Koster

Tried: AO,EQ,EQ2,DAoC,SWG,AA,SB,HZ,CoX,PS,GA,TR,IV,GnH,EVE, PP,DnL,WAR,MxO,SWG,FE,VG,AoC,DDO,LoTRO,Rift,TOR,Aion,Tera,TSW,GW2,DCUO,CO,STO
    Favourites: AO,SWG,EVE,TR,LoTRO,TSW,EQ2, Firefall
    Currently Playing: ESO

• RocketeerRocketeer Member UncommonPosts: 1,303

Originally posted by arieste

Good catch, i did mean SoA.  

I don't know first hand about Mirkwood, but asking people in-game and online, the advice I got was that it's really not worth the money.  That there are plenty of people still running moria stuff as endgame and that Mirkwood was something to get once you had nothing else to do basically.    Obviously there is the level cap increase and it would be required for future expacs.  But I don't have first hand experience with it yet and can't comment.   Personally, i DO plan to get it as i'm not really an alt-a-holic and just plan to play my one character to endgame.  So as long as i get my toon to 50 by the end of my VIP month, mirkwood will be what i get.

It's not wrong what they told you, Moria was such an awesome Expansion that SoM looks really really bad beside it, and assuch was not "worth" the money. The problem is that as with every MMO you are required to buy the latest expansions if you want to see endgame. And even if you use the Moria content as endgame, which is very viable especially with the new scaling etc, you still want to do it at level 65. Just think about crafting recipes, skills, probably some skirmish thingies tied to skirmishes only available with mirkwood etc.

Its not good value, but you need to buy it and apart from a store sale(the ingame one) it won't drop in price. But its perfectly reasonable to wait with buying it until you have a char at level 60 and nothing else to do as you say. Also the situation might improve with F2P, before endgame was level 65 period, because thats where the majority of the population ended up. With F2P though we might see population "blobs" at 50, 60 and 65, making staying at such a level and finding groups viable. Especially level 60, since Moria is such a good value for F2P players.