Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

WoW in our Diablo 3 ? Come on man...

ThomasN7ThomasN7 87.18.7.148Member CommonPosts: 6,690

It is pretty sad when Blizzard is using WoW-like methods in our Diablo 3. Do they really know what they are doing ?

Link: http://diablo.incgamers.com/blog/comments/im-clvl-60...-now-what/

Comments

• OmaliOmali MMO Business CorrespondentMember UncommonPosts: 1,177

Oh no Blizzard is making it so there's something to do in Diablo 3 once you hit max level other than just roll a new toon, those devious scam artists.

I'm sorry, what was your point again?

• AkrninesAkrnines Member Posts: 12

5 years ago I would've said "YES! I'll buy this!"

Now I'm not certain I'll buy it, but I will try it out at least.

• CeridithCeridith Member UncommonPosts: 2,980

Peh.

Doesn't surprised me. I've long since lost faith in Blizzard as being a competant developer.

Besides, every single developer who contributed to the first two Diablo games haven't worked for Blizzard in a long while. Why people are convinced Diablo 3 is going to be as great as the first two is beyond me.

Torchlight will likely remain to be more entertaining, especially with Torchlight 2 coming down the pipe. With good reason too... it's made by the developers who worked on Diablo 1 and 2.

• thecrapthecrap Member Posts: 433

Hmmm I hope they dont change it that much like what they did to starcraft its hard to change perfection 

• emileecousemileecous Member Posts: 5

If this is true, they're already killing Diablo 3 before it even gets released.

• cirdanxcirdanx Member Posts: 27

Originally posted by Ceridith

Peh.

Doesn't surprised me. I've long since lost faith in Blizzard as being a competant developer.

Besides, every single developer who contributed to the first two Diablo games haven't worked for Blizzard in a long while. Why people are convinced Diablo 3 is going to be as great as the first two is beyond me.

Torchlight will likely remain to be more entertaining, especially with Torchlight 2 coming down the pipe. With good reason too... it's made by the developers who worked on Diablo 1 and 2.

I fully agree with you and i´m looking forward to Torchlight 2. Still, i will likely give Diablo 3 a chance and try it out, if the price is aceptable.

"i'm a leaf on the wind watch how i soar"

• EmhsterEmhster Member UncommonPosts: 913

Originally posted by SaintViktor

It is pretty sad when Blizzard is using WoW-like methods in our Diablo 3. Do they really know what they are doing ?

Maybe I'm out of the loop because I didn't follow the development, but could you explain what you see in that? What it means to you or what would be the best case/worst case? I have an idea but it would bring more interesting discussions. :S

• YamotaYamota Member UncommonPosts: 6,593

Actually it is theirs Diablo 3 and not ours... so they can do pretty much what they want. Not saying it is good or bad but you can hardly blame them for trying to copy from a title that has over 10 million active subscribers.

Me personally, I will not buy Diablo 3. Blizzard just is not the same company after WoW and their titles completely lack innovation and creativity and are basically rehashing the same thing over and over again in a shinier package.

• mackdawg19mackdawg19 Member UncommonPosts: 842

Originally posted by Ceridith

Peh.

Not every developer is gone from the old Blizzard North. But the main ones did leave and go to Arena.net. One of the main developers also tried starting up the failed company who produced Hellgate/Mythos. Seriously though, just because they left doesn't mean crap. Blizzard has some of thee best talent in the world in developers. If they didn't, then every time one of them leaves they wouldn't be instantly grabbed up by another. Shoot, there has been times were they tried to scout there developers which was against the law at one point in time. Diablo 3 will be a great game and I will be purchasing it. I've played since d1 and still play d2 to this day. Let's quit with the whole, "Nobody is left from the old team!" though, because there is. And the one's who left were replaced by the same if not better talent. Here's an idea though, get into development if you think you have the chops.

• cirdanxcirdanx Member Posts: 27

Originally posted by mackdawg19

Not every developer is gone from the old Blizzard North. But the main ones did leave and go to Arena.net. One of the main developers also tried starting up the failed company who produced Hellgate/Mythos. Seriously though, just because they left doesn't mean crap. Blizzard has some of thee best talent in the world in developers. If they didn't, then every time one of them leaves they wouldn't be instantly grabbed up by another. Shoot, there has been times were they tried to scout there developers which was against the law at one point in time. Diablo 3 will be a great game and I will be purchasing it. I've played since d1 and still play d2 to this day. Let's quit with the whole, "Nobody is left from the old team!" though, because there is. And the one's who left were replaced by the same if not better talent. Here's an idea though, get into development if you think you have the chops.

You are right that not everyone has left, still most people who made D1 and 2 are gone. And while you are right that this doesn´t mean it will be crap, it also doesn´t mean that it will be a great game like you think. I also don´t see how the leavers have been replaced with the same or better devs.

"i'm a leaf on the wind watch how i soar"

• ThomasN7ThomasN7 87.18.7.148Member CommonPosts: 6,690

I think the sad thing is that most of us will try the game because ti is Diablo. The name sells but make no mistake, this team they have working on Diablo 3 is far from horrible but yet they aren't as nearly as talented as the ones who left. All it seems they are doing is implementing WoW-like ideas in Diablo3 because it it what they been miking for the past several years. Diablo 3 needs to leave a good impression at Blizzcon.

• HardlinemonkHardlinemonk Member Posts: 67

They kicked ass making sc 2, I have faith now.

• mykpfsumykpfsu Member Posts: 68

Making a crap ton of money?  Yes I'm pretty sure Blizzard has that down pat.

• EndDreamEndDream Member Posts: 1,152

In diablo 2.. you kill Diablo over and over again for items...

now you can do that and more stuff in diablo 3...

whats the problem?

Remember Old School Ultima Online

• DerWotanDerWotan Member Posts: 1,012

Well since the first screenshots I felt very disappointed and now they are implementing more and more Wow features turning our franchise into World of Diablocraft.

Just look at how much oustanding features had been removed so far:

• custom stats

• horadrim cube

• xp lost

• progression

• necromancer (maybe the coolest class ever)

• town portals

• gothic graphic which is perfekt for a hellish setting

Is Blizzard really that stupid thinking crap like achievements will motivate the old crowd? I know they lost most of the top guys but seriously even a J. Wilson team should do better than that. I don't want to complete the game and magically be lvl 60 I want to grind after killing the hardest boss, cause thats fun replaying through the game is not fun, its dumb.

Maybe they are targeting the lazy gamers with this one don't know, but their vision for sure isn't anything like Diablo I and II was which is sad, because the franchise has been great.

We need a MMORPG Cataclysm asap, finish the dark age of MMORPGS now!

"Everything you're bitching about is wrong. People don't have the time to invest in corpse runs, impossible zones, or long winded quests. Sometimes, they just want to pop on and play."
    "Then maybe MMORPGs aren't for you."

• ReklawReklaw Member UncommonPosts: 6,495

Jace Hall Show: Diablo III Developer Meeting image

• sloebersloeber Member UncommonPosts: 504

Originally posted by Reklaw

that was just crap imo

• eyeswideopeneyeswideopen Member Posts: 2,414

Originally posted by Reklaw

"What's keeping the lights on, dude?"

"You guys have been working on this for 6 years already."

Heheh, priceless.

-Letting Derek Smart work on your game is like letting Osama bin Laden work in the White House. Something will burn.-
    -And on the 8th day, man created God.-

• sloebersloeber Member UncommonPosts: 504

Originally posted by Hardlinemonk

i agree here.....i feel the same.

• WarmakerWarmaker Member UncommonPosts: 2,246

I dunnot about that.  SC2 should've been released as a graphics patch for the original Starcraft, IMO.

"I have only two out of my company and 20 out of some other company. We need support, but it is almost suicide to try to get it here as we are swept by machine gun fire and a constant barrage is on us. I have no one on my left and only a few on my right. I will hold." (First Lieutenant Clifton B. Cates, US Marine Corps, Soissons, 19 July 1918)

• Ramonski7Ramonski7 Member UncommonPosts: 2,662

WOW! You guys must be really, REALLY dense. That was the entire point of Diablo 1 and 2. You ran Acts over and over to get better gear. It invented the damn loot trendmill. Look at any game after Diablo and it's all the same: Sacred, Titan's Quest, Torchlight......the list goes on. You couldn't make a run through anyof these games without the ground being entirely covered with freakin loot.

So now they throw achievements in the mix. Big deal. It is a trend that's been part of the gaming industry for the better part of 10 years now and it's EVERYWHERE.. No you chaps got it all backwards. It was Diablo that set the trend that turned WoW into a loot treadmill. And you say you are a Diablo fan.....pfft....look up some old articles of how players were sellin that rare loot on Ebay........that's how the whole RMT craze was birthed.....

"Small minds talk about people, average minds talk about events, great minds talk about ideas."

• ThomasN7ThomasN7 87.18.7.148Member CommonPosts: 6,690

It is sad because the more we hear about Diablo 3 the more it seems Blizzard is intent on making sure WoW players like DIablo 3 instead of Diablo players liking Diablo 3.

• kaiser3282kaiser3282 Member UncommonPosts: 2,759

Originally posted by Ramonski7

WOW! You guys must be really, REALLY dense. That was the entire point of Diablo 1 and 2. You ran Acts over and over to get better gear. It invented the damn loot trendmill. Look at any game after Diablo and it's all the same: Sacred, Titan's Quest, Torchlight......the list goes on. You couldn't make a run through anyof these games without the ground being entirely covered with freakin loot.

So now they throw achievements in the mix. Big deal. It is a trend that's been part of the gaming industry for the better part of 10 years now and it's EVERYWHERE.. No you chaps got it all backwards. It was Diablo that set the trend that turned WoW into a loot treadmill. And you say you are a Diablo fan.....pfft....look up some old articles of how players were sellin that rare loot on Ebay........that's how the whole RMT craze was birthed.....

+1

Pretty sad how so many supposed Diablo fans dont even remember what the game was like. Hell in Diablo 2, you spent all of your time doing 1 of 3 things:

-Running dungeons / bosses over and over again for rare loot

- Doing Hell Cow runs over and over for XP and loot

- PvPing

The loot grind/treadmill has been in these games already, doing it in Diablo 3 is not a surprise. All theyre doing is adding some extra fluff achievement type stuff that is just there for the sake of being there, but does not impact your stats and make you stronger or anything.

I remember those ebay & diablo sites days. 1 piece of armor or 1 weapon sometimes selling for several hundred dollars, and im sure theres been higher that i didnt see. I remember seeing a pretty badass chest piece for sale for $600

• BeansnBreadBeansnBread Member EpicPosts: 7,254

So what you guys are saying now is that WoW took it from Diablo 1 and 2. Not the other way around. 

• JenksFTWJenksFTW Member Posts: 72

Originally posted by Warmaker

I dunnot about that.  SC2 should've been released as a graphics patch for the original Starcraft, IMO.

I disagree entirely. With the new physics engine, elaborate story, new units/structures, and the challenges system this would be way more than a patch.

I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve. - J.R.R. Tolkien