Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Star Wars: The Old Republic: Never Tell Me The Odds!

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129

In his latest column covering Star Wars: The Old Republic, MMORPG.com Community Manager Michael Bitton takes a closer look at the Smuggler class. The Smuggler recently received some attention on the official SWTOR site with more information revealed about advanced classes, available ships for flight, companions and more. See what Mike thinks about the new information and then join in the discussion!

Last week, we took a look at everyone’s favorite Force-wielders: the Jedi. This week, we’re going in the entirely opposite direction and taking a closer-look at what is probably the most popular character type outside of Force users in the Star Wars universe: the Smuggler.

Read more Never Tell Me The Odds!.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• dirtyjoe78dirtyjoe78 Member Posts: 400

Was a good article until you started nit picking about the space combat again.  Then you went ahead and starting comparing it to what SWG had.  You complain about what companion class they revealed oddly enough every wookie isint Chewy, while you can see some obvious similarities to the original movies do you really need to nit pick it?  How about you write an article that isint one sided and bitching about how SW:ToR isin't SWG or xwing vs tie fighter and just bring us some game information so we can make an informed decision about the quality of the game thats somewhat unfiltered by your evident bias.

• sungodrasungodra Member Posts: 1,376

Originally posted by dirtyjoe78

Was a good article until you started nit picking about the space combat again.  Then you went ahead and starting comparing it to what SWG had.  You complain about what companion class they revealed oddly enough every wookie isint Chewy, while you can see some obvious similarities to the original movies do you really need to nit pick it?  How about you write an article that isint one sided and bitching about how SW:ToR isin't SWG or xwing vs tie fighter and just bring us some game information so we can make an informed decision about the quality of the game thats somewhat unfiltered by your evident bias.

The comparisons are starting to become annoying. SWG is not the first star wars game, although it is the first Star wars MMO.

If you want swg, go play it. Simple as that. This is a whole new Star Wars game that is going in its own direction as to what it wants to be and who it is intended to appeal to.

IB4 some of these PRe cu people say, " SWG is not the same, or is dead when nge came out"

FYI I played the ORIGINAL star wars galaxies a few months ago tbh... we'll just put it like that.

"When it comes to GW2 any game is fair game"

Originally posted by sungodra

The comparisons are starting to become annoying. SWG is not the first star wars game, although it is the first Star wars MMO.

If you want swg, go play it. Simple as that. This is a whole new Star Wars game that is going in its own direction as to what it wants to be and who it is intended to appeal to.

Exactly i am sick of SWG vets crying because their game got yanked out from under them.  While i can understand the dissapointment and anger at that kind of thing happening its time to let it go.  SW:ToR isint SWG stop drawing comparisons to it and any other SW game.  Its difficult to get an unbiased review or information on the game due to the SWG vets comparing every little thing to what they remember seeing through their rose tinted glasses.

• MMO.MaverickMMO.Maverick Member CommonPosts: 7,619

Yeah, I noticed the favoritism in preferences too the more articles I read from Bitton, but as long as it doesn't run rampant I don't see a problem. After all, it's a column, it's supposed to give a good image of the columnist's view and taste in things.

Only when people become too closed minded to see the good aspects in other games than the one they liked better, it becomes annoying.

Regarding the smuggler: seeing how much recognition and resonance Bioware is trying to create with SW:TOR towards the Star Wars themes and imagery, it would be strange NOT to have the smuggler be involved in smugglery things that we could recognise from the movies.

I like the mood and tone that was being set in the smuggler video, also it seems that the process of improving the graphics is continually going on, which is a good sign. I have a preference for Mass Effect-style of graphics, I think it's the best you can have in fleshing out a scifi universe; but if they keep improving the graphics and animations for SW:TOR, I think I can live with it.

If the voice over in the video is the same one as will be the voice actor for the smuggler, then  they made a good choice.

Still, probably will not end up playing smuggler as my 1st or 2nd choice, Sith and Jedi politics ftw! image

The ACTUAL size of MMORPG worlds: a comparison list between MMO's

The ease with which predictions are made on these forums:
    Fratman: "I'm saying Spring 2012 at the earliest [for TOR release]. Anyone still clinging to 2011 is deluding themself at this point."

• jaxsundanejaxsundane Member Posts: 2,776

Originally posted by cyphers

Yeah, I noticed the favoritism in preferences too the more articles I read from Bitton, but as long as it doesn't run rampant I don't see a problem. After all, it's a column, it's supposed to give a good image of the columnist's view and taste in things.

Only when people become too closed minded to see the good aspects in other games than the one they liked better, it becomes annoying.

Regarding the smuggler: seeing how much recognition and resonance Bioware is trying to create with SW:TOR towards the Star Wars themes and imagery, it would be strange NOT to have the smuggler be involved in smugglery things that we could recognise from the movies.

I like the mood and tone that was being set in the smuggler video, also it seems that the process of improving the graphics is continually going on, which is a good sign. I have a preference for Mass Effect-style of graphics, I think it's the best you can have in fleshing out a scifi universe; but if they keep improving the graphics and animations for SW:TOR, I think I can live with it.

If the voice over in the video is the same one as will be the voice actor for the smuggler, then  they made a good choice.

Still, probably will not end up playing smuggler as my 1st or 2nd choice, Sith and Jedi politics ftw! image

Nice post and I agree with just about everything regarding the smuggler probably going jedi/sith first as well so I've not given much thought to what they will do but considering Biowares track record I have faith they won't drop the ball on this one.

As far as Britton's article,  in his favor I have to say if we looked at the article from the perspective of a person who is not familiar with his sometimes obvious bias against TOR then it really isn't that bad.  I personally took exception to the entire "on rails" article as I thought it was too blatant an attempt to bash Bioware for not copying SWG, and ignoring that the entire "on rails" system was advancing beyond what SWG did because SWG launched with no space component to speak of outside of a fifteen minute shuttle wait (a cheap mmo tactic used to keep you in the game longer).

This article though I thought did little outside of give a frame of reference for those who may not be familiar with the development of the game and he even seemed to be preparing himself for this backlash by mentioning that, yes he has made it known he didn't like the space component and after that the things he said about it were mostly positive.

So I agree with some of you and hope we don't have to read anymore blatant articles like the "on rails" article but we should give him a pass for now.

Does anyone else find it strange that this site (atleast lately) seems to try to no end to prop up STO and a game like TOR is constantly having shots taken at it?

but yeah, to call this game Fantastic is like calling Twilight the Godfather of vampire movies....

• kaliniskalinis Member Posts: 1,428

I dont really see the issue with space combat. I like what ive seen of the smuggler class. Id probably use the stealth option. Although im gonna play a jedi/sith first. Sorry i always wanted to be luke skywalker and darth vadar never wanted to be han solo really.

It seems to me what players who are getting on swtor want is a huge sandbox game they can do whatever they want. Its obvious thats not where bioware wants to go. They want to go more the wow route. Which by the way has proven much more commercial success then the sandbox games.

This isnt a simulation game. I dont know why players wanna be able to fly wherever they can. I would get lost i perfer a rail shooter. that looks good i can do what i need to do and get the quest line done. IM looking forward to the companions and the story elements of sw tor the most.

Nope no more free passes for crappy biased articles whining about how ToR isin't SWG.  If you are going to write an article and ask the community about what they think stop injecting your 2 cents on why you hate life because no other game is SWG. 

• harvest151harvest151 Member UncommonPosts: 217

Is it just me or dest every article this guy writes compare everything about SWTOR to SWG.  It's DEAD dude. Get the hell over it.  You want SWG, go play SWG.  Stop using it as the focal point of comparison. Its like comparing every single mmo today to ultima.  They are NOT INTENDED TO BE ANYTHING LIKE EACH OTHER.

As far as the smuggler goes, This class is pretty set in stone as far as mechanics go. I have heard the storylines (from what has been shown at GDC/GC/Pax/E3 and live demos) are really interesting and filled with snark and wit.  BioWare, upon releasing advanced class systems for any particular class pretty much means they have nailed down the mechanics to their liking. Abilities, options, weaponry, etc are still totally up for change.  But the core of the Class (Support or DPS with cover/stealth mechanics, off healing, etc) are done. That is simply the way it's going to be unless something seriously drastic or gamebreaking pops up.  I think it has great potential, and the story alone is worth me rolling as an Alt. But for me its:

Jedi Knight Main

Inquisitor Alt 1

Bounty hunter alt 2

Althought the raw power of the sith warrior was mindboggling to behold. Leaping in and utterly destorying packs of mobs at lvl 2. 

I hope to see more about the smuggler class in the future, and the story portion and utility for raiding and PvEvP mechanics is very promising.  I think some of the animations could use some fleshing out a bit. Good thing they still have about  7 months to do so.   Every new build I see, the animations and art / effects improves 2fold (in my opinion of course).   Let's just hope they actually get to smuggle, slice, rob, steal, and pull the whole Robin Hood routine to it's fullest potantial.

• XavierDragenXavierDragen Member Posts: 8

To assuage the author's fear of the Wookiee companion. BioWare has stated numerous times that each class will have an entire stable of companions to use.  So, no, you don't have to be the full on "Han Solo Experience."

Also, if you pay close attention to the ship interior video, you can see, what we suspect are some of the other Smuggler companions. A human female, who looks very consular-ish is shown in the engine room. Also shown are; a Mon Calamari,  what looks to be a Zabrak soldier of some kind (maybe a merc, or non havoc squad member of the Republic Military.) and  a male Jedi of some kind that looks very Guardian-esque.

In regards to the Life Debt meshing with Bowdaar's backstory, it won't be much of a problem. To quote from Bowdaar's bio;

"The more gullible underworld scum whisper that Bowdaar is an immortal creature who can’t be killed, but those who have faced him and lived to tell know he is simply the best there is."

It's only the simpletons who think he's immortal. Those who have fought him realize he's just that damn good and slave owners have ways of making even the best gladiators cooperate.

XAVIER DRAGEN :: RECRUITING OFFICER :: ZERO³ :: STAR WARS: THE OLD REPUBLIC

• MikeBMikeB Community ManagerAdministrator RarePosts: 6,555

I really don't see how writing that the Smuggler has the most potential to make good use of the game's space combat system despite the fact I'm not a fan of the direction Bioware went with it is considered "nit picking" about space combat. I was being positive, actually. :)

Also, as for SWG comparisons, whether you like it or not, it is the only existing Star Wars MMO other than Clone Wars Adventures, there are going to be comparisons. While the game was overall a failure, it did some good things, and I'd be silly not to reference them. My mention of SWG in this article was never used to paint TOR in a negative light. The only time I mentioned it was to say that SWG offered some interesting gameplay for their Smuggler class and I am hopeful that Smugglers in TOR will also feature something unique for them to do.

• musicmannmusicmann Member UncommonPosts: 1,095

The article was was honest and pretty dead on. I know that a lot of TOR fans here are so jumpy from all the bashing the game takes, even when some one writes a positive piece, some tend to become defensive out of habit.

The smuggler looks very cool and fun, and with every indepth class reveiew they do, i have a harder time knowing which class i really want to play.

• CujoSWAoACujoSWAoA Member UncommonPosts: 1,781

Which smuggler class doesn't have to wear package-hugging pants?

I'd like to play as that smuggler subclass.  You know, the one who doesn't have to put their bulge on display.

Originally posted by CujoSWAoA

I'd like to play as that smuggler subclass.  You know, the one who doesn't have to put their bulge on display.

It's called clothes, as in, you usually have different sorts to choose from since they're not all the same, not even for a class.

But gunslinger will be a good class for you then, here you go. If that's not suitable, you can always go all female-avatar like, no problem with package below the belt at all.

Fratman: "I'm saying Spring 2012 at the earliest [for TOR release]. Anyone still clinging to 2011 is deluding themself at this point."

• maskedweaselmaskedweasel Member LegendaryPosts: 12,178

Hey, its nothing to be ashamed of, you cherish that package.  I would also point you towards the female smugglers, ay?

No but I really don't know what other armor choices they'll give to smugglers.  Guess we'll have to wait and see.

• Xondar123Xondar123 Member CommonPosts: 2,543

Actually, I've heard the the Smuggler owes Bowdaar a Life Debt! :P

• mmonoobletmmonooblet Member Posts: 336

Originally posted by MikeB

I really don't see how writing that the Smuggler has the most potential to make good use of the game's space combat system despite the fact I'm not a fan of the direction Bioware went with it is considered "nit picking" about space combat. I was being positive, actually. :)

Also, as for SWG comparisons, whether you like it or not, it is the only existing Star Wars MMO other than Clone Wars Adventures, there are going to be comparisons. While the game was overall a failure, it did some good things, and I'd be silly not to reference them. My mention of SWG in this article was never used to paint TOR in a negative light. The only time I mentioned it was to say that SWG offered some interesting gameplay for their Smuggler class and I am hopeful that Smugglers in TOR will also feature something unique for them to do.

When you get defensive like this, you lose any sense of professionalism that you might have had.

• mmonoobletmmonooblet Member Posts: 336

Originally posted by musicmann

The article was was honest and pretty dead on. I know that a lot of TOR fans here are so jumpy from all the bashing the game takes, even when some one writes a positive piece, some tend to become defensive out of habit.

The smuggler looks very cool and fun, and with every indepth class reveiew they do, i have a harder time knowing which class i really want to play.

I think one of the games best features will be giving the players a completely different experience with each class they chose to play.  I can easily see myself playing 3 or 4 toons.  A Jedi, a Sith, a bounty hunter, and probably a smuggler as well.

• artemisentr4artemisentr4 Member UncommonPosts: 1,431
    well BW is trying to give a full story of what makes each class the way they are. So I see the smuggler getting to know the gangs on the lower levels of Coruscant. And being a smuggler with choices to be reputable or steal and cheat from time to time. So as a smuggler, part of the 200 hours of class story should be smuggling.

“How many people long for that "past, simpler, and better world," I wonder, without ever recognizing the truth that perhaps it was they who were simpler and better, and not the world about them?”
    R.A.Salvatore

If you watch the film Star Wars (1977) you can clearly see that one main trademark of the smuggler class is their package-hugging pants. It's like how the Jedi Knights in that film all had lightsabers. If there is no package hugging pants, then there simply is no smuggler.

• CujoSWAoACujoSWAoA Member UncommonPosts: 1,781

It's called clothes, as in, you usually have different sorts to choose from since they're not all the same, not even for a class.

But gunslinger will be a good class for you then, here you go. If that's not suitable, you can always go all female-avatar like, no problem with package below the belt at all.

Thats probably the only outfit I've seen in SWTOR that doesn't make me sick to my soul.

But I have to wonder, since this game is a WoW clone, does that mean you won't see that outfit until you Max Level your character?

Thats probably the only outfit I've seen in SWTOR that doesn't make me sick to my soul.

Nice use of hyperbole there.

But I have to wonder, since this game is a WoW clone, does that mean you won't see that outfit until you Max Level your character?

Seems you have a weird problem with SW:TOR's graphics, mate. Since this game is not WoW, it's hard to tell what clothes will be available at what level, we only know there'll be a humongous bunch of them. But hey, you can pick a female avatar or another class from level 1 if you have a problem with your character's package image

• Radar11xRadar11x Member UncommonPosts: 118

TOR =TOR SWG=SWG nuff said....

Originally posted by MikeB

You could have use this as your entire article but just for fun ill take some lines out of your original article to make my point.  wether you realize it or not you come across as a nit picking SWG fanboy that cant get over the game.

"Star Wars Galaxies actually offered some fairly interesting and unique (though imperfect) smuggler gameplay, and I’d like to see this sort of thing manifest itself in SWTOR."  Two completely different games and developers with completely different gameplay goals. 

"Touching on space for a moment, my feelings on the whole rail-shooter space offering are well known by now, but the Smuggler definitely has the potential to make the most out of SWTOR’s space features."  Did you really need to drag this up again...no but its yet another line that sours anything else you have to say due to your dislike of a single feature.  If you are going to bring us information do taht dont filter it through your ideas of how it should be first.  Bring the facts people will make their own minds up.

"I love me some Han Solo, but I don’t literally want to be the character, so here’s hoping to a plethora of non-Wookiee companion options."  If you are such a fan as you have claimed then do the research before you put crap like this in.  bioware already stated taht they will have many different companion characters.  http://www.swtor.com/info/systems/companions  not that hard link off the home page.

If you do not see how these comments make the tone of your article bitchy i dont know what to tell you but thats the way it comes across and from all the other comments im not the only one. 

• wgc01wgc01 Member UncommonPosts: 241

Nope no more free passes for crappy biased articles whining about how ToR isin't SWG.  If you are going to write an article and ask the community about what they think stop injecting your 2 cents on why you hate life because no other game is SWG. 

And thank the maker no  other game is swg, I played that abomination for years, glad to be gone and looking forward to TOR, it's funny, I heard an soe dev talk about how JTL hurt swg more than helped it, I was surpised to hear, I thought jtl was cool..

The smuggler looks good for  tor, as do all the classes so far..:)