Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

TERA: Who wins the Race?

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129

In his latest article, MMORPG.com's Industry Relations Manager Garrett Fuller takes a look at two of the more unusual races to be included in TERA: The Aman and the Baraka. These two defy the typical stereotyped human/dwarf/elf archetypes in most MMOs today. See what Garrett thinks of these two genre-bending races in his latest column.

Many MMOs are starting to choose arch type races to fit different player profiles. In looking at TERA this week I wanted to take a look at two races in particular, mostly because they differ from the typical fantasy mould of Elf, Dwarf, Human, and Orc. When games begin to choose the races players like, they design them based off of different play styles. This is both an Eastern and Western stereotype of fantasy races. Tank classes for example are played by races which look like tanks, or pro-wrestlers. TERA offers two races that differ from the norm, the Aman and the Baraka.

Read more Who Wins the Race?

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• fansedefansede Member UncommonPosts: 960

Popori are not unusual enough to make it in the discussion?

• ivaylo1981ivaylo1981 Member UncommonPosts: 30

Originally posted by fansede

Popori are not unusual enough to make it in the discussion?

:) +1

• eric_w66eric_w66 Member UncommonPosts: 1,006

FFXI and FFXIV takes care of the need to look at the Popori.

• Makmax6666Makmax6666 Member Posts: 53

Originally posted by eric_w66

FFXI and FFXIV takes care of the need to look at the Popori.

+1

A True Master who Knows his own limit...

• ChackzChackz Member Posts: 76

cornbread

• J0K3R_3DJ0K3R_3D Member Posts: 82

Meh ... Baraka are very similar to Dwarf's except theyre taller. The whole "stone" theme, round belly ... etc.

Aman are really just Orcs except black and with horns.

Thats just IMO though. Fully plan on rolling a Baraka Sorcerer and maybe an Amani Berserker anyway.

• AnubisanAnubisan Member UncommonPosts: 1,798

Am I the only one here who thinks that axe in the final image with the human looks pretty ridiculous? It is at least twice as big as it should be imho.

• paterahpaterah Member UncommonPosts: 578

Originally posted by Anubisan

Am I the only one here who thinks that axe in the final image with the human looks pretty ridiculous? It is at least twice as big as it should be imho.

I didn't know there was a specific size an axe should have. Not to mention that the 2hand weapons in TERA are big for gameplay reasons too, besides the looks.

• peladonpeladon Member Posts: 7

Dragons

Dragons with wings.

Dragons with wings that can fly. Or perhaps dragons that can fly. With wings.

Dragons that can breathe fire and have huge claws and can fl....

Oh. And can cast magic. And have hoards that are part of their power.

Did Imention dragons? _Playable_ dragons?

Now _there's_ a non-standard, non-ordinary race. Especially if it doesn't follow the same skill development tree as the more normal races, and lacks some significant elements of the advantages the other races have. Oh, and gets to build rather cool lairs underground in three dimensions.

But nobody would ever be so crazy as to make a race like _that_ in a game. Never. Right? :-P.

• MAnalogMAnalog Member Posts: 86

Originally posted by paterah

Originally posted by Anubisan

I didn't know there was a specific size an axe should have. Not to mention that the 2hand weapons in TERA are big for gameplay reasons too, besides the looks.

Yes, I'd rather it if developers could stop getting their reality wedged in my fantasy games.

• MyrathiMyrathi Member Posts: 94

peladon: Heh. Hopefully, with this lot, they're more fun to play and there isn't a mind-blowingly retarded financial fiasco to blow everything else out of the water. ;]

• EivilSarEivilSar Member Posts: 25

I bet 2c that there is no race based unique aspects as the author has speculated.

I think Tera will fail because they are trying to capture WoWnoobs but they don't understand that those people aren't going to leave a game where their characters are an investment. The sub market is already saturated.

thats my 1c worth (saving the 2c to pay out if my bet is wrong).

EivilSar, Deathhand of International
    Spellborn PvP

• ShadowzanonShadowzanon Member UncommonPosts: 350

Originally posted by peladon

Dragons

Dragons with wings.

Dragons with wings that can fly. Or perhaps dragons that can fly. With wings.

Dragons that can breathe fire and have huge claws and can fl....

Oh. And can cast magic. And have hoards that are part of their power.

Did Imention dragons? _Playable_ dragons?

Now _there's_ a non-standard, non-ordinary race. Especially if it doesn't follow the same skill development tree as the more normal races, and lacks some significant elements of the advantages the other races have. Oh, and gets to build rather cool lairs underground in three dimensions.

But nobody would ever be so crazy as to make a race like _that_ in a game. Never. Right? :-P.

Why does this sound like Istaria so much XD.

• ScotScot Member LegendaryPosts: 22,823

I was never such a dragon fan that playing one was a desire for me. So Istaria (it had a differant name as well, can't remember now) was not one I have played.

Races for classes is old news, when you make up a race you would normally have one or two classes in mind. I like the Terra take on this though, they press all the right buttons. Moving away from Elves and Orcs can only do the MMO industry some good.

• shantidevashantideva Member UncommonPosts: 186

So if i start a mmogames site and give constant good reviews and spin all upcoming games in a i good light i will prosper and live long??Someone please recommend a place that is less biased and objective than this wonderful Pr heaven?

"Train by day, Joe Rogan podcast by night, all day!"

• paterahpaterah Member UncommonPosts: 578

Originally posted by EivilSar

I bet 2c that there is no race based unique aspects as the author has speculated.

I think Tera will fail because they are trying to capture WoWnoobs but they don't understand that those people aren't going to leave a game where their characters are an investment. The sub market is already saturated.

Are you on crack? They are NOT trying to capture the unaware WoWnoobs. If there is a game trying to capture the WoW players then it is TOR.

• Originally posted by EivilSar

You fail to realize that Tera will not try to capture the immature nerd community of wow, principally because Tera has a completely different gameplay and it will rated M. Trust me, the wowers will stay forever on their precious crap game.

• The user and all related content has been deleted.

거북이는 목을 내밀 때 안 움직입니다

• KilrainKilrain Member RarePosts: 1,185

stop talking about it and it will go away.

• ChackzChackz Member Posts: 76

suck my wow

• DaitenguDaitengu Member Posts: 442

I've yet to see any other MMO with as many and varied races and classes as Everquest. 16 races and 16 classes.   I suppose I was spoiled with the variety as I always feel that there just isn't enough to choose from in every MMO after.  Froglok shm, iksar monk, and Vah Shir bard ftw

• jayartejayarte Member UncommonPosts: 450

Originally posted by Scot

I was never such a dragon fan that playing one was a desire for me. So Istaria (it had a differant name as well, can't remember now) was not one I have played.

Races for classes is old news, when you make up a race you would normally have one or two classes in mind. I like the Terra take on this though, they press all the right buttons. Moving away from Elves and Orcs can only do the MMO industry some good.

Istaria was originally Horizon, I believe.

• The user and all related content has been deleted.

거북이는 목을 내밀 때 안 움직입니다

• ScotScot Member LegendaryPosts: 22,823

For me EQ2 and Vanguard did the best race/class selection I have seen. It is not easy to do more than a handful of classes, make them distinctive classes and maintain game balance. EQ2 and VG did just that.

Oh yes it was Horizons that it!

• HolyfleadipHolyfleadip Member Posts: 67

Originally posted by kdchan

Originally posted by EivilSar

You fail to realize that Tera will not try to capture the immature nerd community of wow, principally because Tera has a completely different gameplay and it will rated M. Trust me, the wowers will stay forever on their precious crap game.

<<<<==== Ex-WOW player.  I left WOW about two years ago.  TERA will not capture the new NOOB WOW players, but I would hope they might capture SOME of the more hardcore WOW players that are fed up with all the new noobs that have joined since Blizzard down graded the mobs to spit on it and it dies w/increased lvling speed w/o skill developement.  TERA (as discribed) requires combat skills.  It's not just tab select and click the toolbar type BS game.