Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Runefest 2010

devilisciousdeviliscious Member UncommonPosts: 4,359

For those of you unaware, Jagex held a fan event called " Runefest 2010" held on August 28, 2010 in London available for players 16+ years of age.

They charged £79.75  a person and gave out Gnome awards, lifetime memberships, Runescape memorbilia and paper hats among other things.

After viewing some of the videos of this I chose this one because Excl has a great sense of humor:

Excl at Runefest - Part I

Excl at Runefest - Part II

I give props to Jagex for finally doing an adult event for fans.. even though they were misers and made fans pay £79.75 to attend, at least they provided alcohol to compensate. Though for that price, they should have at least had paid some hot chics to come and pretend to be their girlfriends.image

It is a start, hopefully they were not too terribly tormented by this, and will be  bringing more events in the future, and hopefully next time venture out of England. image

Comments

• gevrikgevrik Member Posts: 97

Nobody paid a single penny. All people who attended had their ticket costs re-imbursed.

• AkaJetsonAkaJetson Member Posts: 1,167

Yeah, they said they're going to do it in other countries after this one.

His_Lordship did a live teamspeak rant :-/ http://forums.zybez.net/topic/1425438-wildguard-at-runefest/

?

• devilisciousdeviliscious Member UncommonPosts: 4,359

Originally posted by gevrik

Nobody paid a single penny. All people who attended had their ticket costs re-imbursed.

There is much of controversy over that. Many fans were upset about the way they went about it, and as a result were unable to go due to them not being able to afford the original ticket itself. It was not a matter of the " Most loyal fans" it was a matter of the " most wealthy fans" due to them hiking up the costs, and then telling them later that they would be reinbursed.

So for those fans who could not afford the original fees, they were left out. There were quite a few angry fans over the way they chose to do this. But I will give it to Jagex, this was their first live event, so  hopefully they will live and learn from their mistakes. Live fun events, should not be making people angry, no they should be an event that gives back to the players, which was how this was intended. Hopefully next time they will smooth out the rough edges and not repeat the same error.  

Runefest refund controversy

Originally posted by AkaJetson

Yeah, they said they're going to do it in other countries after this one.

His_Lordship did a live teamspeak rant :-/ http://forums.zybez.net/topic/1425438-wildguard-at-runefest/

I hope they do one in the states, and next time not just reserve it for the wealthy. A larger event would be better for them publicity wise as well. It is nice seeing Jagex come out of their shells and stop hiding after all these years, even if I do not agree with all of their decisions, I believe fan events are a good step in the right direction.

You see, I think if you can't cough up 80 quid for your hobby you should not be going to a Fanfest anyway. Hey, and with the free booze and food I would've made my money back anyway (I spend a lot more than 80 quid on weekends in the pub).

Obviously that's different for Americans, considering travel costs and stuff, but hey, EVEFest is held in Iceland and there's plenty of Americans there. I guess the older players are more willing to pay more, it has nothing to do with being "wealthy".

Who knows, you might get lucky and they will have it in the US next time.

Originally posted by gevrik

You see, I think if you can't cough up 80 quid for your hobby you should not be going to a Fanfest anyway. Hey, and with the free booze and food I would've made my money back anyway (I spend a lot more than 80 quid on weekends in the pub).

Obviously that's different for Americans, considering travel costs and stuff, but hey, EVEFest is held in Iceland and there's plenty of Americans there. I guess the older players are more willing to pay more, it has nothing to do with being "wealthy".

Who knows, you might get lucky and they will have it in the US next time.

They hiked it up more than that from what people were saying, and then dropped it. Yea the main complaints were having to pay for the ticket costs on top of travel hotel expenses and what not. I do not think that was all that bad considering  you could not even see an NFL game here in the states for that price. LOL image

I think it is just a matter of smoothing out the way they handle it, they were afraid of too many people showing up, but there are better ways to handle that, hopefully they will get that smoothed out for future events. Maybe have a real event organizer help them work that out.  From what I saw of the event, they did a good job for their first event. Loved the suma wrestling and fights, that was a nice twist. Can't complain too much when they had free alcohol! LOL image

I am pleased Jagex made a real effort to reach out to players, and hopefully with experience, they will continue to improve this in the future.

I paid 79,99 and was reimbursed that amount. Then I went to Reading Festival instead, because I thought it was kinda fishy that they reimbursed the money. But from what I heard people had a great time! :)

• BlisseyBlissey Member Posts: 515

If they held these Runefests in the years 2004-2007, they might have had more people comin'.

• AlysenMinaseAlysenMinase Member Posts: 361

Better late than never. Plenty of people showed up too, considering the ticket price, its location, and the age limit. Good job Jagex ;)

Playing - EVE, Wurm

Retired - Final Fantasy XI, Anarchy Online, Mabinogi

Waiting - ArcheAge, Salem

• BermannBermann Member Posts: 40

Originally posted by AlysenMinase

Better late than never. Plenty of people showed up too, considering the ticket price, its location, and the age limit. Good job Jagex ;)

The only good thing about this, is that the money was refunded. That is what counts. That is a good reason to thank Jagex.