Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

The account thieves are getting funny

swampthing11swampthing11 Member Posts: 62

My yahoo address that i use just for junk gets probably 20 emails a day claiming to be from blizzard support or an invite into the cataclysm beta.  Today i got one that's particularly funny.

The subject was:  NCsoft Support Survey

This was the contents.

Greetings,

An investigation of your AION account has found strong evidence that the account in question is being sold or traded. As you may not be aware of,this conflicts with Blizzard's EULA under section 4 Paragraph B which can be found here:

AION -> Legal -> End User License Agreement

and Section 8 of the Terms

AION -> Legal -> Terms of Use

The investigation will be continued by AION administration to determine the action to be taken against your account. If your account is found violating the EULA and Terms of Use, your account can, and will be suspended/closed/or terminated.

In order to keep this from occurring, you should immediately verify that you are the original owner of the account.

To verify your identity please visit the following webpage: www.ncsoftaccounts.com

AION staff will verify your account information submitted in two days, please do not modify your account information during this time . It will not affect your game uptime.If you are unable to successfully verify your password . using the automated system, please contact Billing & Account Services at 1-800-59-AION (1-800-592-5499) Mon-Fri, 8am-8pm Pacific Time or at [email protected]. Account security is solely the responsibility of the account holder. Please be advised that in the event of a compromised account, NCsoft representatives typically must lock the account. In these cases the Account Administration team will require faxed receipt of ID materials before releasing the account for play.

Regards,

- NCsoft Support

- NCsoft Team

Notice how they accidentally left in the part about BLIZZARD?  What does blizzard have to do with AION?  They are really slipping.  I also enjoyed how the subject has nothing to do with the contents, it's a survey, but no, now it's a  potential ban notice.  Also quite humorous is the fact that the phone number listed is also for Blizzard.

Considering that i don't even play AION and never have and don't even own the game.....

Do people REALLY fall for this crap?

Comments

• KaldoreiKaldorei Member Posts: 12

LMAO! i got a message from what i think was blizzard a while back with that same message. It seemed legit so i went for it. I was never hacked though so still to this day dont know if it was a 3rd party

Child of the Stars

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,498

I'd let them steal my Aion accounts image

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• KouDyKouDy Member UncommonPosts: 50

I have the same mail from last night.

Sender noreply-at-blizzard.com. Title NCSoft Support Survey. First thing that hits you why on earth Blizzard sends mail about NCSoft support. Maybe both companies are involved in some new world order conspiracy!

• Big.Daddy.SamediBig.Daddy.Samedi Member UncommonPosts: 409

My Co-worker got an email yesterday from a [email protected] for a GW2 beta invite... lol Even talked about WoW in the body of the email....

• SynthetickSynthetick Member Posts: 977

Originally posted by Kyleran

I'd let them steal my Aion accounts image

Gimme gimme :)

Really tho, I get multiple phishing attempts via WOW scams in my Spam Box constantly. I have yet to receive one claiming to be from any other game, tho. Kind of odd when I think about it, my wife gets constant Aion scam attempts and there's no account tied to her email address. smh.

• AericynAericyn Member UncommonPosts: 394

Is it sad how "sad" these phishing mails are or is it sad that they do it because these nets actually catch a fish from time to time?

I think any minor's account should be governed by their parents email address. Assuming the parent is savvy enough to catch this silliness too. But you know a lot of stolen accounts were primarily used by 10-16 year olds and possibly 40+ year olds... Yeah, I pulled those numbers from a dark place. image

Man, it used to be adults were the only one's getting screwed all over the place, buying a car, home, credit card, spontaneous purchases, mail order fraud, get-rich-quick schemes. Now kids have been opened up to more danger from their own bedroom than parents deal with outside in the world.

• SynthetickSynthetick Member Posts: 977

Originally posted by Aericyn

Is it sad how "sad" these phishing mails are or is it sad that they do it because these nets actually catch a fish from time to time?

I think any minor's account should be governed by their parents email address. Assuming the parent is savvy enough to catch this silliness too. But you know a lot of stolen accounts were primarily used by 10-16 year olds and possibly 40+ year olds... Yeah, I pulled those numbers from a dark place. image

Man, it used to be adults were the only one's getting screwed all over the place, buying a car, home, credit card, spontaneous purchases, mail order fraud, get-rich-quick schemes. Now kids have been opened up to more danger from their own bedroom than parents deal with outside in the world.

Nothing but truth in the above.

What's bad is the fact that the children aren't just putting themself in danger of being screwed, they're opening the door with the keyloggers associated with these phishing mails of damaging their entire family's financial and credit history. 

• lightingbirdlightingbird Member Posts: 103

Originally posted by swampthing11

My yahoo address that i use just for junk gets probably 20 emails a day claiming to be from blizzard support or an invite into the cataclysm beta.  Today i got one that's particularly funny.

The subject was:  NCsoft Support Survey

This was the contents.

Greetings,

An investigation of your AION account has found strong evidence that the account in question is being sold or traded. As you may not be aware of,this conflicts with Blizzard's EULA under section 4 Paragraph B which can be found here:

AION -> Legal -> End User License Agreement

and Section 8 of the Terms

AION -> Legal -> Terms of Use

The investigation will be continued by AION administration to determine the action to be taken against your account. If your account is found violating the EULA and Terms of Use, your account can, and will be suspended/closed/or terminated.

In order to keep this from occurring, you should immediately verify that you are the original owner of the account.

To verify your identity please visit the following webpage: www.ncsoftaccounts.com

AION staff will verify your account information submitted in two days, please do not modify your account information during this time . It will not affect your game uptime.If you are unable to successfully verify your password . using the automated system, please contact Billing & Account Services at 1-800-59-AION (1-800-592-5499) Mon-Fri, 8am-8pm Pacific Time or at [email protected]. Account security is solely the responsibility of the account holder. Please be advised that in the event of a compromised account, NCsoft representatives typically must lock the account. In these cases the Account Administration team will require faxed receipt of ID materials before releasing the account for play.

Regards,

- NCsoft Support

- NCsoft Team

Notice how they accidentally left in the part about BLIZZARD?  What does blizzard have to do with AION?  They are really slipping.  I also enjoyed how the subject has nothing to do with the contents, it's a survey, but no, now it's a  potential ban notice.  Also quite humorous is the fact that the phone number listed is also for Blizzard.

Considering that i don't even play AION and never have and don't even own the game.....

Do people REALLY fall for this crap?

Haha this is great.  Yes hordes of idiots fall for that crap.

This is the type of emails that produces the posts from idiots saying their account was hacked.  Ever notice how people toss around the "hack" statement almost always never know crap about computers? 

Think before you click on links people!

• soap46soap46 Member Posts: 169

Yeah, I get email from "Blizzarz", "Bluzzard", and any other number of misspellings on a weekly basis.  It's funny to me, but people will still fall for it... 

Also, Lightningbird, I love your signature.

• TalRashaTalRasha Member UncommonPosts: 827

Originally posted by Kaldorei

LMAO! i got a message from what i think was blizzard a while back with that same message. It seemed legit so i went for it. I was never hacked though so still to this day dont know if it was a 3rd party

It seemed legit? You must be joking. Or were you actually selling your account?

• Lathander81Lathander81 Member Posts: 611

I keep getting mail in-game that my account needs to be activated lol

• Tyvolus1Tyvolus1 Member Posts: 815

Originally posted by TalRasha

Originally posted by Kaldorei

It seemed legit? You must be joking. Or were you actually selling your account?

I just laughed when I read that guys BS.  "It seemed legit so I went for it."  -- ya, ok dude, sure you did.

• GruugGruug Member RarePosts: 1,791

To the OP: Leaving that active link in your first post is probably not a good idea.

Let's party like it is 1863!