Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

How the ffxivboot bug drove me away from FF14

13»

Comments

• maskedtearsmaskedtears Member UncommonPosts: 345

Originally posted by Rytif

Originally posted by maskedtears

Originally posted by colddog04

Anyway, if you want to call this guy a liar, please look at the links:

This one is specific to the OPs problem:

http://www.ffxivcore.com/topic/12748-ffxivbootexe-has-encountered-a-problem/

This one is about crashing:

http://www.ffxivcore.com/topic/17613-ffxiv-crashes-too-often/

Sorry you're having the same problems OP.

That's all I asked for. Good job. 

Delete your account. Kthxbuhbi.

Try it and tell me how that goes for you. 

You wanted my time, so I played you. You wanted my money, I forked it over. You wanted my soul, I gave it willingly. Not to complain... but when do I get my end of the deal? And no, I don't want your flippin' carrot. If you can't do that give me back my youth and keep the change. Why don't you try chasing your own damn carrot for a change? I'll gladly hold the stick.

• WraithoneWraithone Member RarePosts: 3,806

Originally posted by Wraithone

You do realize that MMOrpg is just one such site for information?  Perhaps this was their last choice for such. In any event, assuming some one is lying about a technical issue is rather revealing...  Given the complex nature of writing for the PC platform, there are any number of possible issues.  I've no doubt they will fix it eventually. 

It's because it's MMORPG. Trolls outnumber people with honest to god interest more than half the time. If this was on say Core, I'd believe it hands down.  But this is MMORPG... I mean really? 

Originally posted by radtweak 

I'm finding myself agreeing with maskedtears suspicions.

I kind of find it odd that the OP spent two weeks trying to find a solution, yet never once posted in this forum until now to just to say he'd already given up (why wouldn't you have at least asked in here for help? when you had the issue and whilst OB was still running).  There's still a few hours of OB left, why not post your specs and an event log of the game crash (in event viewer) and we might be able to help.. but let me guess... you've already "Uninstalled" it.. image

Ah, so I'm not the only detective in the room. Nice. =D

"Detective"? Ah, assume anyone who posts of issues is lying until you know otherwise.  Is this some Great Right Wing Blizzard Conspiracy?...image  Issues in beta or even at launch are to be expected.  Attacking people who need assistence is neither wise, nor helpful.

Questioning things is now attacking? If that's the case then everyone who questions anything about FFXIV is attacking the game. I've never even played any of Blizzards games so I never mention them except to say I've never played any of their games. Don't believe me? Go check. 

Thanks for judging. 

Always welcome...

Look at your initial response and that of a few others. As I said, its neither wise, nor helpful. At the least you could have directed them to other resources (not everyone knows how to search google effectively, even these days).  In any event,  given the number of people with this and related issues, I suspect it will get fixed eventually.  For those that use Nvidia drivers, an app called driver sweeper can be very useful when re installing.

http://www.guru3d.com/category/driversweeper/

Given the nature of such things, it could be sound drivers, and other such.  I remember awhile back when reltek changed their onboard sound system, and managed to break quite a number of games in the process.  Developing for the PC platform is MUCH more complex and painstaking than for consoles(which have a standard hardware base).

"If you can't kill it, don't make it mad."
  • RaxeonRaxeon Member UncommonPosts: 2,283

Originally posted by Yunbei

You know, sometimes it's the small matters which make or break things. For me beta was and is one way to find out if a game is for me or not. Now with FF14 being so different in many ways, I just did not want to buy it blindly.

I dunno if you know about the bug, but it's something apparently a lot have. When you try to start the game, the ffxivboot file crashes. Every single time. I spent the last 2 weeks trying to find a solution, nothing. So I kinda gave it up, and tbh I never read any approach of the company really trying to solve it. They always wrote, send us your data, which I did, but after 2 weeks I am no better than before, and it kinda destroyed my faith in this company that they are capable. Maybe thats wrong, but no try no buy.

Yes yes, beta isn't for trying, but still. It just caused great doubts about the technical side of the game. And they really should care about this more. Doing themselves no good like this.

Did you go on the FFXIV IRC and ask? Did you go and search the FFXIV CORE forums? 

Yes and yes.

I got the usual answers. Install newest drivers, install new direct x, you know, the same lot you hear every time.

Also idiots please note that the second part was added after I responded. This part answered my questions as well. 

the thing is i bet i could use logmein and get the gmae to run on his pc. he might need a Os reinstall tho

• abyss610abyss610 Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 1,131

Originally posted by MisterSr

Well OP there could be another possible solution, but it also means taking a risk of actually buying the game. The beta client MUST be deleted in order to properly play the game, so you could wait till release and purchase the game and see if it runs, be sure not to use the code inside otherwise any chance of being able to sell it back in case it doesn't work is gone. The risk is that many stores WON'T take the game back once it's been opened, but in my honest opinion I think this game is worth the risk. But that is just me; I really hope you find a solution. And if not, there's always guild wars 2 you can look forward to. 

i don't think that sounds like a good idea at all considering he already tried playing the game and it wouldn't run on his system. i know i wouldn't throw money away on something i know didn't work for me before. and would only chance a trial later down the road. the whole reason he even wanted to try the beta was he wasn't sure he'd like it at all and didn't want to waste money on it. from what i've seen from people so far is you either love it or hate it.

Always welcome...

Look at your initial response and that of a few others. As I said, its neither wise, nor helpful. At the least you could have directed them to other resources (not everyone knows how to search google effectively, even these days).  In any event,  given the number of people with this and related issues, I suspect it will get fixed eventually.  For those that use Nvidia drivers, an app called driver sweeper can be very useful when re installing.

http://www.guru3d.com/category/driversweeper/

Given the nature of such things, it could be sound drivers, and other such.  I remember awhile back when reltek changed their onboard sound system, and managed to break quite a number of games in the process.  Developing for the PC platform is MUCH more complex and painstaking than for consoles(which have a standard hardware base).

My initial response was did you ask on irc and if he asked on FFXIV Core forums. Simple questions. A lot of people on these forums don't even know about the irc or how to access it. And secondly I don't assume everyone has a Core account. 

That would be stupid. And like I've stated a dozen times, I do know that this problem exists hence me asking if he asked elsewhere. If I didn't believe it existed I would of said. "Wut problem lulz FFXIV haz no problems." Like you guys are accusing me of. But that isn't what I did at all. 

He already said he checked all those things. 

Hence me wanting to see what he put out to others so we could look at the problem. When he was reluctant to do that I became suspicious yes, and apparently prematurely because when I pm'd me he explained why. And I am completely fine with his reason.

Originally posted by Raxeon

the thing is i bet i could use logmein and get the gmae to run on his pc. he might need a Os reinstall tho

I don't even know what you are saying. If you have a solution for him tell him. He already said he is going to wait to play so it's not life or death. 

You wanted my time, so I played you. You wanted my money, I forked it over. You wanted my soul, I gave it willingly. Not to complain... but when do I get my end of the deal? And no, I don't want your flippin' carrot. If you can't do that give me back my youth and keep the change. Why don't you try chasing your own damn carrot for a change? I'll gladly hold the stick.

• HyanmenHyanmen Member UncommonPosts: 5,357

In all cases I've come across, updating all the necessary drivers has fixed the problem.

If you downloaded DX11, that is not enough. It does not have the DX9 file included that is necessary for the game to work. 

Download the DX9.0c if you haven't already. 

Using LOL is like saying "my argument sucks but I still want to disagree".
  • DaxPierceDaxPierce Member Posts: 172

Is Final Fantasy going to be full of people like Maskedtears? How unhelpful and rude. Sometimes the teen crusaders having nothing else better to do.

• RuntzzRuntzz Member UncommonPosts: 11

Yes download the Directx 9c and the redist package. The net installer only does newer files for some reason even if its linked to the directx 9c. I had the boot issue my self till I downloaded the 97MB redist package.

Originally posted by DaxPierce

Is Final Fantasy going to be full of people like Maskedtears? How unhelpful and rude. Sometimes the teen crusaders having nothing else better to do.

I didn't do anything rude. Try reading everything I said. I was a lot less offensive then the lot of you are being. In fact I never even outright called him a liar. And I even said I wasn't going to comment on things to be rude. Did you even start from the start of this thread. Get a grip. 

You are being way more offensive then anything I actually posted to the OP in this thread. Sure the things you guys SAID I said were pretty darn rude. But too bad that wasn't what I said. 

If being a teen crusader means asking questions politely then please paint me a teen crusader. Because polite is exactly what I was. 

• DaxPierceDaxPierce Member Posts: 172

are you kidding?  I read everything. You called the OP a liar. Grow up. Take your ridalin.

are you kidding?  I read everything. You called the OP a liar. Grow up. Take your ridalin.

Quote please. Or forever hold your peace. And it's extremely rude to make fun of people who have to take medication. 

And you are telling ME to grow up...

• WraithoneWraithone Member RarePosts: 3,806

Originally posted by Hyanmen

In all cases I've come across, updating all the necessary drivers has fixed the problem.

If you downloaded DX11, that is not enough. It does not have the DX9 file included that is necessary for the game to work. 

Download the DX9.0c if you haven't already. 

Well, in many cases you are correct. But for more than two years now, I've been unable to play either Lord of the Rings or Dungeon and Dragons Online.  I played both at launch for a few months(to level cap in DDO) and then went on to other games.  When I came back, I keep getting BSOD 116 errors. Thats a conflict with one of nvidia's .sys files.

No amount of changing drivers, or DX has helped. I've done some searching of the problem but it seems to have so many random elements that its difficult to track down.  Since those two are the only games that have that problem I've pretty much given up on them at this point.  Perhaps I'll try again when I upgrade from Vista 64(SP1) to Windows7 later on.

"If you can't kill it, don't make it mad."

Well, in many cases you are correct. But for more than two years now, I've been unable to play either Lord of the Rings or Dungeon and Dragons Online.  I played both at launch for a few months(to level cap in DDO) and then went on to other games.  When I came back, I keep getting BSOD 116 errors. Thats a conflict with one of nvidia's .sys files.

No amount of changing drivers, or DX has helped. I've done some searching of the problem but it seems to have so many random elements that its difficult to track down.  Since those two are the only games that have that problem I've pretty much given up on them at this point.  Perhaps I'll try again when I upgrade from Vista 64(SP1) to Windows7 later on.

Oh, well this is a more common problem that people have come across. I haven't heard of a case where it wasn't fixable, but I haven't heard of those errors you have come across either.

I'm sure there will be unfixable errors down the road, but I don't think this is one of them.

• Gymrat313Gymrat313 Member UncommonPosts: 154

Yes and yes.

Links, and what name did you go on IRC under? 

Err? Why you need to know my name there? You not prolly want to know my password either?

Umm... no. It means I'm checking to see if you are a liar or not. Just kidding.. sorta. But I am honestly curious about this issue. And if anyone who wants to play this game runs into this issue hopefully I'll be able to help them at that point. Because I'm always on IRC. 

Unless I am mistaken, you are clearly calling him a liar right in the highlighted portion of your own reply.

• TazlorTazlor Member UncommonPosts: 864

I didn't do anything rude. Try reading everything I said. I was a lot less offensive then the lot of you are being. In fact I never even outright called him a liar. And I even said I wasn't going to comment on things to be rude. Did you even start from the start of this thread. Get a grip. 

You are being way more offensive then anything I actually posted to the OP in this thread. Sure the things you guys SAID I said were pretty darn rude. But too bad that wasn't what I said. 

If being a teen crusader means asking questions politely then please paint me a teen crusader. Because polite is exactly what I was. 

sorry for butting in, but you were rude.  i noticed that pretty quickly.  you basically interrogated him for his info then said  "Umm... no. It means I'm checking to see if you are a liar or not. Just kidding.. sorta."   so you're checking to see if he's a liar, but you're kidding, but you aren't kidding?  so doesn't that mean you think he's a liar and you just said it to his face?  if that isn't rude, what do you call it?

It means I was curious, suspicious, and wanted to know if he was trolling or not. Like I explained to the OP in the pm's I sent him. 

There was no proof that he was lying, in fact I never even said there was. I went on to state that this is MMORPG where people troll. Often. 

I didn't call him a liar I suspected him of lying. Which doesn't mean he is a liar and it doesn't mean I'm calling him a liar either. Which was the point I was trying to get through after that when I said. "Really do you need help with your reading comprehension." 

Originally posted by Tazlor

sorry for butting in, but you were rude.  i noticed that pretty quickly.  you basically interrogated him for his info then said  "Umm... no. It means I'm checking to see if you are a liar or not. Just kidding.. sorta."   so you're checking to see if he's a liar, but you're kidding, but you aren't kidding?  so doesn't that mean you think he's a liar and you just said it to his face?  if that isn't rude, what do you call it?

I honestly did not find that rude. All of my statements prior to that were completely harmless. As I've also stated, I apologized to the OP for suspecting him. And he never told me he thought that I called him a liar. He said he thought I was flaming him. Which I explained to him that I wasn't. If he feels that he needs a more in-depth apology from me, so be it. But he has not made it known to me that that was the case. 

It's almost comical at this point.

• TazlorTazlor Member UncommonPosts: 864

It means I was curious, suspicious, and wanted to know if he was trolling or not. Like I explained to the OP in the pm's I sent him. 

There was no proof that he was lying, in fact I never even said there was. I went on to state that this is MMORPG where people troll. Often. 

I didn't call him a liar I suspected him of lying. Which doesn't mean he is a liar and it doesn't mean I'm calling him a liar either. Which was the point I was trying to get through after that when I said. "Really do you need help with your reading comprehension." 

if you didn't think he was a liar you wouldn't have had to check.  so, do YOU need help with your reading comprehension?

Originally posted by Tazlor

if you didn't think he was a liar you wouldn't have had to check.  so, do YOU need help with your reading comprehension?

Check the problem and what the problem was. The responses. So no, I think it's still in your court. As I stated I went on IRC to ask if anyone had brought up the problem. 

As you guys have realized, it can be caused by different things. He already stated that he wasn't playing the game. If you will note I never said it was wrong of him to wait. I never said anything to anyone else telling him to wait for a free trial either. I stated myself that I have had that particular problem as well. 

You guys are just being overly paranoid. 

if I thought in my head, "This guy is sooo full of shit. He's a liar." What does that have to do with anything?  The fact remains that I didn't call him a liar and continued to try to honestly figure out what was going on. Which was more than you guys were doing, in nit picking at what was going on in my head.