Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Torchlight: Travis Baldree Interview

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129

Recently, MMORPG.com writer Carolyn Koh had the chance to sit down with Runic Games president Travis Baldree. The discussion centered around Torchlight II, the sequel to Torchlight, a gigantic single-player RPG hit. Read on to find out more about the loot system, pets, side quests, the UI and content.

Travis is no new comer to the gaming industry, having been responsible for the Diablo-esque like game Fate and having experience in MMOs with Flagship Studios’ Hellgate London and Mytheon. For Torchlight II, Travis has created a game that is soloable and yet plays well in a multi-player setting with the game scaling for number of players and their proximity to each other.

Read more of our exclusive Travis Baldree Interview.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• MarlonBMarlonB Member UncommonPosts: 526

bad link :)

• nickster29nickster29 Member Posts: 486

Not to mention you got your games wrong.  It wasn't Mytheonn.... Flagship studios made Mythos!

• NephaeriusNephaerius Member UncommonPosts: 1,671

Sounds like Runic has really listened to the players and intends to deliver the product they wanted at an affordable price.  Can't wait to play myself.

Steam: Neph

• ThomasN7ThomasN7 87.18.7.148Member CommonPosts: 6,690

Bad link...

• jiveturkey12jiveturkey12 Member CommonPosts: 1,262

Link fix please!

• DracheSCDracheSC Member Posts: 83

I'm getting a bit annoyed with Runic here. At this rate, we'll have three or four single-player Torchlight games before their MMO even hits Alpha testing. The original Torchlight ARPG was meant to not only introduce a storyline, but also to get their name (and a quickly produced product) out there for their (hopefully) future customers. They then stated they would have the MMO within a specific time, then it got pushed back, and now, with TL2 coming soon, I imagine the MMO will be pushed back ever farther.

"First the single player game, now the multiplayer game and next, the MMO. Soon, we hope." I really HOPE they get the MMO out, but honestly, I'm not holding my breath. Too many broken promises will make players, as well as investors, jump ship on Runic's MMO project. And if that happens, well, then we'll have yet more vaporware...

True mages don't die. They strategically miscalculate.

• OzmodanOzmodan Member EpicPosts: 9,726

Oh cut the silly rant.  If you have not figured it out yet, MMO's take time to make.  It will be ready when it is ready.

• HarabeckHarabeck Member Posts: 616

Originally posted by DracheSC

I'm getting a bit annoyed with Runic here. At this rate, we'll have three or four single-player Torchlight games before their MMO even hits Alpha testing. The original Torchlight ARPG was meant to not only introduce a storyline, but also to get their name (and a quickly produced product) out there for their (hopefully) future customers. They then stated they would have the MMO within a specific time, then it got pushed back, and now, with TL2 coming soon, I imagine the MMO will be pushed back ever farther.

"First the single player game, now the multiplayer game and next, the MMO. Soon, we hope." I really HOPE they get the MMO out, but honestly, I'm not holding my breath. Too many broken promises will make players, as well as investors, jump ship on Runic's MMO project. And if that happens, well, then we'll have yet more vaporware...

I see nothing wrong with what Runic is doing. Investors won't complain because they are after all, making money with these game releases. Players can't complain because the games are a direct response to their feedback. Honestly, I think this is the smartest MMO development I've seen yet. MMO's are incredibly complex but they get to work out all of the kinks in these simpler games while making money to fund their studio; it's brilliant.

• crazynannycrazynanny Member Posts: 173

I'll also gladly get a nice hack and slash game with multi while waiting for their MMO. I enjoyed first part, cheap and fun. So a new one with multiplayer. Yes!, please.

• jamesLjamesL Member Posts: 2

I'm getting a bit annoyed with Runic here. At this rate, we'll have three or four single-player Torchlight games

TL2 is multiplayer, not single player

PerfectWorld is not going to jump ship on Runic. 

The worst thing Runic could do is rush out an mmo with poor networking and poor gameplay.  Look at Hellgate London, Warhammer Online, Star Trek online, Age of Conan, Lord Of the Rings Online, Aion. 

All these big name games have died, lost 1000's of subscribers, been huge disappointments or have turned to free to play.

Most of those games had well established lore and story and had a huge fanbase ready to part with their money.

How are those games doing now?

Runic is right to wait and take their time and get things right.

• InfalibleInfalible Member Posts: 204

Originally posted by jamesL

I'm getting a bit annoyed with Runic here. At this rate, we'll have three or four single-player Torchlight games

The worst thing Runic could do is rush out an mmo with poor networking and poor gameplay.  Look at Hellgate London, Warhammer Online, Star Trek online, Age of Conan, Lord Of the Rings Online, Aion. 

All these big name games have died, lost 1000's of subscribers, been huge disappointments or have turned to free to play.

Most of those games had well established lore and story and had a huge fanbase ready to part with their money.

Sorry to bust your balls: Torchlight MMO is going to be free to play.

http://www.themmoquest.com - MMO commentary from an overly angry brit. OFFICIALLY LAUNCHED!

• WebbstreWebbstre Member Posts: 9

Originally posted by Infalible

Originally posted by jamesL

Sorry to bust your balls: Torchlight MMO is going to be free to play.

With Microtransactions for decorations and social stuff to support it. There are no completely free to play games.