Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Vindictus: A Look Ahead

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129

Nexon's Vindictus has been making the rounds of the summer trade shows and has been watched with interest by both fans and the media. As the second beta test for Vindictus approaches (September 15th), MMORPG.com's Garrett Fuller has a look at the game, some of its features and what it's likely to bring to the overall MMO picture. See what's in store by reading "Vindictus: A Look Ahead".

Many people know Nexon as the company that brought us Maple Story. Nexon pioneered free-to-play and has a massive user base for 2D scroller games. Now their image is about to change with their latest offering, Vindictus. Vindictus has been seen at different shows throughout the summer and continues to make an impression on the gaming community. What is it about this game that makes players look up and take notice? Is it the action combat, the environment manipulation, or how about the fact that the game is just plain fun.

Read more Vindictus: A Look Ahead.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• OzmodanOzmodan Member EpicPosts: 9,726

My concern with Vindictus is not the gameplay, but it is how they are going to fund it.  My past experiences with cash shop games is you don't have to pay much to start, but it rapidly goes far beyond normal subscription fee costs as you progress.

The only successful f2p model in my book is Turbine's where prices don't enter into the ridiculous and for about the less than a subscription price you can progress nicely at a moderate pace.

Look at how excited people were over Allods Online and the fallout from the ridiculous prices in the item shop and the game changes meant to need items from it.

It all depends on how greedy Nexxon gets.

• harvschmarvharvschmarv Member Posts: 83

My concern is that I didn't see any indication of anything new or fresh. The interactive enviroment thing is ok, but it isn't groundbreaking by itself, and isn't a reason in itself why one should try out a game.

Also, the "only 2 classes available" with more classes coming is very worrisome. I'm all for a variety of classes (read some of my posts) and having choices for the gamer. I wouldn't be interested in the game until those additional classes were available.

Aside from those 2 main concerns, I liked the other stuff I read about and saw.

• noneatallnoneatall Member UncommonPosts: 9

Whats the game play like im a PVE preferred player and if i get constantly PK,d after hitting a certain lvl then the game isnt worth my time or money.

• OtakunOtakun Member UncommonPosts: 874

My concern is that people who post here are over concerned over a F2P. I understand complaining about a P2P where you have to buy the game and a sub but this is a F2P. You either like it or you don't like it. Gez, caring about a cash shop in a game with little to no pvp and worrying about "groundbreaking" isn't stuff that should stop you from trying the game. Considering that P2Ps have cash shops now and rarely have anything groundbreaking, what is there to be concerned about? Get over it, play it and then find something to complain about.

Originally posted by noneatall

Whats the game play like im a PVE preferred player and if i get constantly PK,d after hitting a certain lvl then the game isnt worth my time or money.

It's an instance based dungeon runner. The only PvP you will face is if you join the battleground. If you don't then the only thing you have to worry about from players is whether they are compitant enough to complete the dungeon or not.

• PryettaPryetta Member UncommonPosts: 260

Originally posted by Ozmodan

My concern with Vindictus is not the gameplay, but it is how they are going to fund it.  My past experiences with cash shop games is you don't have to pay much to start, but it rapidly goes far beyond normal subscription fee costs as you progress.

The only successful f2p model in my book is Turbine's where prices don't enter into the ridiculous and for about the less than a subscription price you can progress nicely at a moderate pace.

Look at how excited people were over Allods Online and the fallout from the ridiculous prices in the item shop and the game changes meant to need items from it.

It all depends on how greedy Nexxon gets.

From what I have seen...with the Korean version. The cash shop consists of clothes..including panties for the two female characters, Fiona and Evie..lol.

Originally posted by Otakun

My concern is that people who post here are over concerned over a F2P. I understand complaining about a P2P where you have to buy the game and a sub but this is a F2P. You either like it or you don't like it. Gez, caring about a cash shop in a game with little to no pvp and worrying about "groundbreaking" isn't stuff that should stop you from trying the game. Considering that P2Ps have cash shops now and rarely have anything groundbreaking, what is there to be concerned about? Get over it, play it and then find something to complain about.

Complaining about the complainers?

This is a competition. I play the best game. I'm also entitled to my opinions. Right now, I'm playing F2P's, because the P2P's no longer have my interest. I'm playing a pretty darned good one right now, and I have every right to voice my opinion over whether I should consider switching to Vindictus as you do to complain about my using the word, "groundbreaking."

Have a great day :)

• rikwesrikwes Member Posts: 90

No, there's a misconception P2P is more expensive than F2P  . All indications are that the reverse is true though ( so in that sense anyone has as much right to complain about the cost ) .There is no such thing as a free game ... 

P2P rarely have cashshops where you buy stuff which is essential for progressing in the game . 

• BekrahBekrah Member UncommonPosts: 16

It's an instance based dungeon runner. The only PvP you will face is if you join the battleground. If you don't then the only thing you have to worry about from players is whether they are compitant enough to complete the dungeon or not.

I figured this game was completely carebear focus. I guess I will just continue to wait for TERA Online to release. Lots of carebear MMO's coming out within the next few years. I am just glad that you have a couple of developers out there how are not scared to at least cater to some degree to the PvP community.

I will pass on this one too.

Excuse me, there are some f2p games out there that cost a lot to pve in once you reach higher levels.  It is a very legitimate concern.  If you can't figure that out, go play Allods or RoM.  You will soon see what the concern is.  So yes the cash shop is a huge deal in a f2p game how it effects the gameplay.

Yes there are f2p games out there with decent item shops that are reasonable.  Unfortunately they are not common.

Originally posted by BeKure

I figured this game was completely carebear focus. I guess I will just continue to wait for TERA Online to release. Lots of carebear MMO's coming out within the next few years. I am just glad that you have a couple of developers out there how are not scared to at least cater to some degree to the PvP community.

I loved DAOC, Shadowbane, and even played around with Eve.That being said, I'd rather play a well-done carebear mmo than a badly done pvp. I just want to see a developer get a game right and live up to the hype, for once. I'm willing to sacrifice my desire for pvp or for a crazy complicated crafting system.

Hopefully one of those carebear MMOs will live up to what so few mmos are living up to these days.

• RegomarRegomar Member Posts: 122

Any game that drives away egomaniac ganking jerks like you is worth checking out in my opinion.  Thankfully the gaming industry is generally no longer allowing people like you to get his rocks off by ruining other people's experiences.  Maybe you'll eventually stop playing MMOs and go back to torturing kittens or whatever it is that sociopaths like you do IRL.

Originally posted by Regomar

Any game that drives away egomaniac ganking jerks like you is worth checking out in my opinion.  Thankfully the gaming industry is generally no longer allowing people like you to get his rocks off by ruining other people's experiences.  Maybe you'll eventually stop playing MMOs and go back to torturing kittens or whatever it is that sociopaths like you do IRL.

Actually I don't think the previous poster was trying to be ugly. "Carebear" is a term that has come to represent non-pvp, at least in my mind. I didn't read his post as inflammatory at all, curious as to why you did.

Originally posted by harvschmarv

Originally posted by Regomar

Actually I don't think the previous poster was trying to be ugly. "Carebear" is a term that has come to represent non-pvp, at least in my mind. I didn't read his post as inflammatory at all, curious as to why you did.

Yes, lets refer to people as little fuzzy annoying stuffed animals and it's not suppose to be an insult? If he meant non-pvper then say non-pvper. It would be like calling pvpers psychopaths.

• RegomarRegomar Member Posts: 122

No, 'carebear' is a term used by sociopaths when they're ranting about a game that wont let them get to max level and then gank new players all day.  It is almost always used with a derogatory meaning.  'Carebear' is not a catch all for non-pvp, it is pretty much exclusivly used by whining greifers who want NON-CONSENTUAL pvp.  Consentual PvP is too 'carebear' for them.  They want to be able to interrupt everyone and anyone's gameplay experience to wave their e-dicks in their face.  They are a plague.

Off the subject, but using the word "carebear" and not expecting some kind of flames is absurd.  It is still derogatory no matter how you look at it.  Just as easy to type nonpvpers and avoid the flamewar.

Honestly, I've heard the term so much, I don't let it bother me anymore. I guess that is why in my own mind that I don't take offense at it.

Honestly, if I took everything offensive that I *could* take offensive in mmorpgs, I'd be a basketcase. We all would be.

Barrens chat anyone?

• NovusodNovusod Member UncommonPosts: 912

I am surprised by how under hyped this game is right now. I was in the Vindictus closed Beta and I think this game is amazing and can't wait to play it again. Problem is I see a lot of miss-information arround out there about cash shops and the like and lacking PvP. Time will proove that all to be false but believe me Vindictus is worth trying and playing. You won't be disapointed.

Originally posted by Novusod

I am surprised by how under hyped this game is right now. I was in the Vindictus closed Beta and I think this game is amazing and can't wait to play it again. Problem is I see a lot of miss-information arround out there about cash shops and the like and lacking PvP. Time will proove that all to be false but believe me Vindictus is worth trying and playing. You won't be disapointed.

Because people instantly dismiss it as a crappy korean F2P since they can't see for themselves its different.

Looking forward to open beta, just not sure if I can get a key. From the way they are phrasing it, all the keys are going to be distributed from closed beta players, who'll have a few to give to their friends.

• thesupadudethesupadude Member Posts: 2

Can some one please send me a key?????  You would make me a very happy human being. =)

• thesupadudethesupadude Member Posts: 2

-------------------------------see comment above-------------------------------------

my e-mail is [email protected]

• Lady.DollLady.Doll Member Posts: 5

I was accepted for Early Access Beta! And have two BETA keys! Weee! <3 THANK YOU Invalidname from Mabinogi Ruari server!

• vindictuskeyvindictuskey Member Posts: 1

You weren't "accepted." You just happened to get a key. Accepted makes it sound like they chose you because you're a special child.

• nybratnybrat Member UncommonPosts: 16

The game looks great and im going to try out the beta but the game seems very shallow. Only 2 chars with 2 skills each? The crafting system seems very simple and the world very small. Thats my impression when looking at http://vindictus.nexon.net

I would think that more content would be included in a beta or at least revealed on the homepage?