Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Beta-Review FFXIV(About a week til Launch)

Comments

• MrbloodworthMrbloodworth Member Posts: 5,615

"Its not for you".

----------
    "Anyone posting on this forum is not an average user, and there for any opinions about the game are going to be overly critical compared to an average users opinions." - Me

"No, your wrong.." - Random user #123

"Hello person posting on a site specifically for MMO's in a thread on a sub forum specifically for a particular game talking about meta features and making comparisons to other titles in the genre, and their meta features.

How are you?" -Me

• donaldduckdonaldduck Member UncommonPosts: 158

So basically the devs have not learned a single thing from their first FF MMO ... reading this review you could have been excused for thinking it was about FF XI ...sigh

• MisterSrMisterSr Member UncommonPosts: 928

Originally posted by Zeblade

Well I've been playing and its the best ever mmo out there 10/10!

Haha.. ok no really I agree with most the 1st poster said. Dont ask why but the min I turned on AA the mouse was alot better. Thats the only part that LAGS for me. Beta yes.. still has bugs. Tiny bugs like "should is shuold". Or I had one of those time quests, started it.. something flashing on my map.. game crashes. Restart.. I have the quest but no time now and cant restart, I dont know how to delete it. 

The quest thing for some I guess is easy but me.. wow SOOOOO lost. Dont know where to start, go. I dont mean I want everything handed to me but its very confusing. The cut scenes are beautiful and the starting scenes have voices but once you start to play no more voices ever ..well for so far. After all these years you would think MMO's would bring more life to NPC's. For me this is no upgrade (so to speak) from the last one at all. It wont be a huge hit thats for sure. If you love it great.. for me and this is very sad to say.. wow as wow is NOW ..is more fun.

Voiced scenes are called Events, they only apply to major moments. Think of FFX when a movie clip comes along every once in a while only when the scene is a pivotal part in the plot. Those are voice acted, the rest is just read. 

• RalsarRalsar Member UncommonPosts: 305

Open beta only has 0.22% of the content that release will have!  It's beta!  BEATA I TELLS YA!!!1 hehe

Well written review.  As always I agree with so many of the bad points of this game, but for some reason I'm really liking it.  I am sticking with my CE and will put in a solid 30 days.  If I can still find the fun at that point then rock n' roll.  If not then I'll just go back to waiting for Guild Wars 2.

• Mellow44Mellow44 Member Posts: 599

Originally posted by Magnum2103

One correction OP.  Beta is not the second development stage.

You have multiple development stages that don't use the Greek system.  You have pre-production, then production phase with mutliple milestones which include Alpha and Beta versions of the game.  You also have a post-production phase (in a MMO you'd be putting out new content and fixing bugs during this phase).  Beta could actually be the hundredth build of that game.  Beta is actually the final stage of testing when the game is most feature complete and should be ready for release.

Added to the Alpha and Beta versions there should be a Gamma version where all the planned content is implemented and it's atleast 95% bug free...  this version might not be available at launch.

All those memories will be lost in time, like tears in the rain.

• HomergdogHomergdog Member UncommonPosts: 95

I'd have to agree with the OP on most of what he said. However, I do enjoy the game, and have pre-ordered the collectors edition. Why? ... Because there isn't anything else to play atm and I love Final Fantasy Games... lol.

A couple things I need to point out though. This game closely resembles FFXI with a new graphics engine, and also your wrong when you say you have to only use a keyboard. Keyboard = typing... Logitech Rumblepad 2 = playing with your feet up. I love the controls for this game, because it was made with a gamepad in mind.

Common Questions:

***Does this game have issues/bugs? Yes, as does every MMO (I'd put the FFXIV a little ahead of most MMOs though... then again... I play a lot of SoE games lol.)

***Is this game fun? To me, Yes, but you will have to make up your own mind

***Is this game different from your typical MMO? Yes, noone will be calling this a WoW ripoff. Thats what I probably love about this game.

***I've died and I can get up!!!?!?!?! Yes, the first time you die you will sit there and go through your game manual... Let me save 5 minutes from your life. Goto Menu and Select RETURN!

All and all, i'm glad FFXIV isn't normal and is somewhat hard (not FFXI hard, but not WoW easy). My main fear was that they would make FFXIV with the typical WoW ripoff quest and control systems. That was laid to bed in open beta and I placed my pre-order. See you IN GAME!

Titus Maximus

• SkeeterxiSkeeterxi Member Posts: 265

Wow, this review is exactly how I feel, every single part of it. I couldn't quite put it in words, and now I do don't have too. And also to the "Its only beta" club, most of the complaints about this game are not about the content. Adding more content isn't gonna change most of the bad or negative views this game is creating. Its about the game's core systems. Adding more content won't fix that.

• AnnwynAnnwyn Member UncommonPosts: 2,854

Originally posted by shadow9d9

Originally posted by doorb7

Its not prepostreus(lol i cant spell that either) shadow, its exactly what the devs have stated. a lot of quests, items etc are simply not in the ob client. how everything works is going to stay the same ofcourse it is, so if you dont like the combat, or questing then sure dont buy the game, but if your complaing because of lack of things to do quest wise etc, this is why.

Quote it and educate all of us where they say that non story quests are bein left out.

Bah can't find it, though it has been quoted multiple times on this forum already.

Althought I did find this:

"The following is a list of several of the synthesis recipes available in the FINAL FANTASY XIV Beta Version. However, remember that this is only a sample of the hundreds of items players can create as Disciples of the Hand."

https://dev-na.ffxiv.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=106552#Post106552

It's possible that you can't see or access the websites if you don't have a Beta Account. But other than what I quoted, it's just a list of recipe for Crafting so you aren't missing anything.

If I find the thread, I'll edit this post. I know it's there somewhere, had found it few days ago.

• crazynannycrazynanny Member Posts: 173

Kudos to OP on well written review. You got here all major issues but also promising features this game have. I feel for all nice people that like this game, that SE made it so new user unfriendly as because of this community will be hurt. After all You should be dragged by the game instead having lots of patience to stick with it. I just can't imagine dragging a friend new to MMOs to FF XIV...

As for me - despite being bored with WoW/LOTRO/other MMOs style of questing and enjoying story, music and crafting in FF XIV - I just couldn't bear with all issues. No AH, mail system, shared bank made me said ok, that's it. *ahem* You guys I'm going home :)

• OrtisaiOrtisai Member Posts: 162

this review has to be changed to a preview.

As far as your opinion goes, we thank you for voicing it, but those of us (160,000+) who have committed to purchasing the game at launch, have made up your mind.  Most of the people (if not all) that agree with you here are those who already committed to cancelling or have cancelled the preorder (or have not even planned on playing the game)

Open beta as it is now is not the complete game we will see come next weekend.

We dont even have close to 50% of the content the full game has to offer.

only 2 of the starting cities main quests

only a handful of crafting items

the mobs are scaed down for the time being

my biggest issue the UI lag, it can be better but its not terrible.  They fix that and a lot of people will be happy

• ironhelixironhelix Member Posts: 448

I love people who review incomplete software. Exactly what is the point? It is akin to ordering a Bentley, driving to the factory before it's complete, and complaining that it's not going to work right because it doesn't have any wheels on it. I understand that at this point the game is mostly finished, and core features are not going to change, but much of the OP's issues with the game are simple matters of optimization. The UI will work right. The mouse lag will be fixed. Does anyone REALLY believe that they won't remedy those issues? On top of everything else, the OP purports to know (as spelled out in the Foreward) under what premise SE are conducting this "open beta" as if he were on the board of directors. The fact is that no one knows FOR SURE what the final state of this game will be, and reviewing it now is kind of a waste of time. 

And who in the Hell has time to write all that shit about a beta test anyway? Get a fucking hobby already.

• GurpslordGurpslord Member Posts: 350

Originally posted by skoreanime

Someone who finally understands that what we have in open beta will essentially be the same at launch with a few negligible differences like content.  We've been playing the core mechanics of the game and that's not something that will change in just two weeks.  Meat and potatoes!

FFXIV open beta = demo.  That's fact, and people not agreeing with that are rose tinted glasses fanboys.  This is what XIV has to offer at launch, and it will be virtually the same in its lifetime.  There will be the usual MMO updates with major patches and expansions, but it will, at its core, be the same game.

I've said this in another post but will repeat here.  If this were any other game from any other developer I would agree with you entirely.  For the vast majority of games since the dawn of the modern mmo (around 2004 or so) the open beta part of the testing phase was really more of a free demo to try to entire people into their game.

In this case I have to disagree.  Square-Enix is notorious for doing things their way, the traditional way and no amount of peer pressure (if you will) is going to change that.  They don't care what every other developer does, they're just guna do it their way and we all have to deal with it.  This is both good and refreshing, and bad and annoying.

In this case, the open beta actually and legitimately means a server stress test and whatever other bits of info a developer gleans out of having a ton of people running about their game all willy nilly.

This entire post is based off the Open Beta=Demo and this is how it's going to be mentality.  Which doesn't apply (this time).  Yes, the UI is going to be terrible, but the FPS will be better as they remove the debug code.  The content in open beta is laughable, yet had the poster looked at all sources he would have seen that the beta manual states that only a very small percentage of what will be available in the release is going to be available to the beta.  Given Square-Enix's reputation it's entirely conceivable that there's even race, class & customization options we haven't even been allowed to see, or entire CHUNKS of content that they didn't feel needed any kind of stress testing (By this I mean Player housing as an example).

I know it's not our style here at the MMORPG community to look at things with a balanced eye, it's far more entertaining to unleash our negative outputs and put a faux-unbiased face on, however if you're going to claim to review something then you have to have all information available, well you SHOULD have all information available in order to be taken seriously.

Currently reviewing FFXIV is akin to reviewing a movie you've only seen the opening credits to.

• Honeymoon69Honeymoon69 Member Posts: 647
    what no miracle patch?
  • grapevinegrapevine Member UncommonPosts: 1,927

Seems you need to wake up, from the dream.

SE are no different to any other developer.  The only other MMO they have produced is FF XI, so you have absolutely nothing to found those claims on.

Open beta is not stress testing.  They've already done stress tests, and informed us when they were taking place.  Open beta is there to continue testing the whole game, other than the locked story arc.

One isn't going to wake up on launch day, and discover a new game.

Originally posted by grapevine

SE are no different to any other developer.  The only other MMO they have produced is FF XI, so you have absolutely nothing to found those claims on.

Open beta is not stress testing.  They've already done stress tests, and informed us when they were taking place.  Open beta is there to continue testing the whole game, other than the locked story arc.

Actually, once again I'll reference their very own beta manual which in fact states that the open beta is being used to gather information regarding server stability.  So, see my above post and gather your facts to be taken seriously.

As for what I found my claims on, it's their reputation.  Yes, they've only made one other MMO and they've made how many other RPGs?  Far more than I care to count, yet with each one they've released almost no information regarding their game right up until it was released.  This is their reputation and what I found my claims on.  Very much like..say Blizzard back before WoW was released, that company had (still has) a reputation of waiting and waiting and waiting until they feel like releasing their product, release dates be damned.  Reputation goes a long way with such things.

Originally posted by Gurpslord

Actually, once again I'll reference their very own beta manual which in fact states that the open beta is being used to gather information regarding server stability.  So, see my above post and gather your facts to be taken seriously.

Correct it is, but it is also for testing everything else and just like any other open beta.  They have not stripped out the game for stress testing, for one that wouldn't be logical, as its not exactly stress things if its cut down code.  The only thing locked is the story arc, next to none of it is in.

You are reading between the lines, and coming to the wrong concusion, likely in hope that their's going to be a miracle patch.  I'd get ready to be disappointed.

Correct it is, but it is also for testing everything else.  They have not stripped out the game for stress testing, for one that wouldn't be logical, as its not exactly stress things if its cut down code.  Only the thing locked is the story arc, next to none of it is in.

I have the beta manual open in another window and I'm wondering where you're getting your information?  NOW I'll admit the manual simply states that only a fraction of what the game will have at launch is available at beta could in fact mean that only the story part is missing, but I'd wager a doughnut that there's probably more.  Not to mention the game is supposed to be 15gigs on the hard drive and the beta is just under 7 (of course that could be a lot of sound or video files too so that's nothing to really base any argument on.)

You too seem to be, "reading between the lines" in this case.  Oh certainly I'll admit that perhaps I'm giving SE more faith than I should given the pattern of MMO's these days, but as I said before, reputation goes a long way with me. So I suppose maybe I am..hopeful (however I don't believe in the miracle patch theory).  You are on the opposite side of the coin, taking their words and tilting them towards the negative side.  What it quite simply means is that there's content missing, what it is we don't know...we're both just offering conjecture based on our own opinions I guess.

Correct it is, but it is also for testing everything else.  They have not stripped out the game for stress testing, for one that wouldn't be logical, as its not exactly stress things if its cut down code.  Only the thing locked is the story arc, next to none of it is in.

I have the beta manual open in another window and I'm wondering where you're getting your information?  NOW I'll admit the manual simply states that only a fraction of what the game will have at launch is available at beta could in fact mean that only the story part is missing, but I'd wager a doughnut that there's probably more.  Not to mention the game is supposed to be 15gigs on the hard drive and the beta is just under 7 (of course that could be a lot of sound or video files too so that's nothing to really base any argument on.)

The game is not 15Gb.  That is the recommended space need for install.  All games need much for to install then to run.  APB for example says it needs 15Gb, but actually uses 8.4Gb once installed.

Again, you are reading between then lines and coming to the wrong concusion.  Miracle patches are vapourware.  That's not to say at some point down the line all that was hoped in such a patch wouldn't occur, just not by launch or in the near future.

I'm getting the information from the same places as you, ie. the beta boards.   Also information from the odd moments they actually communicated with us in close beta.

The game is not 15Gb.  That is the recommended space need for install.  All games need much for to install then to run.  APB for example says it needs 15Gb, but actually uses 8.4Gb once installed.

Again, you are reading between then lines and coming to the wrong concusion.

I'm getting the information from the same places as you, ie. the beta boards.

Sweet deal, I'm entirely happy to find someone who has all the right conlusions!  You're as clueless as the rest of us, myself included.  We're both offering conjecture based off of either past experiences or whatever you want to draw from, I suppose I'm the bright side to your dark.

It's entirely possible you're right, of course it's entirely possible I'm right.  Far more likely that it's something in between both opinions.  Also have you noticed we edit alot?

I'm getting the information from the same places as you, ie. the beta boards.

Sweet deal, I'm entirely happy to find someone who has all the right conlusions!  You're as clueless as the rest of us, myself included.  We're both offering conjecture based off of either past experiences or whatever you want to draw from, I suppose I'm the bright side to your dark.

It's entirely possible you're right, of course it's entirely possible I'm right.  Far more likely that it's something in between both opinions.  Also have you noticed we edit alot?

No, simply being realistic.

Games having a huge difference between recommended HD space, and that used once installed is not conjecture.  Its fact.

Your...opinion is realistic in..your opinion. 

This is why forum posts and religions can't get along.  Far too many opinions on what is truth.

This is fun.

As for the HD space thing, you're probably right about that, I've got little more than what the box says, Don't know for fact so not guna argue it, I sure hope it doesn't suck up 15gigs.

This is why forum posts and religions can't get along.  Far too many opinions on what is truth.

This is fun.

Ok, good luck with the waking up on launch day to a completely different game.

This is fun.

Ok, good luck with the waking up on launch day to a completely different game.

Wait what?  You've skewed off your argument a little.  Get back on track son, I'm still rarin' to go.

• navyalcnavyalc Member Posts: 32

I'm getting the information from the same places as you, ie. the beta boards.   Also information from the odd moments they actually communicated with us in close beta.

AOC site says Age of Conan requires 32GB and takes up 31GB on my HDD. It's not ridiculous that only a small part of the game is available for beta. They are getting the information they need. I'm not saying I am 100% certain we'll be seeing a "miracle patch" or a ton of added content. I would much rather trust what SE has said over random MMORPG.com community members. I suppose we'll see if trusting SE in future projects is the right decision. Funcom sure doesn't have my trust anymore.

• pmcubedpmcubed Member Posts: 289

This is fun.

As for the HD space thing, you're probably right about that, I've got little more than what the box says, Don't know for fact so not guna argue it, I sure hope it doesn't suck up 15gigs.

I thought the recommended HD space required was typically double the actual game size so the setup files could be extracted (thus requiring x2 space) and later deleted.