Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

A short guide to everything we know about GW2

Comments

• kamikkazekamikkaze Member Posts: 83

I`m not familiar with Guild Wars, just know  the game exists and I have two questions:

Cost

You will need to buy the game but there will be no subscription charge, revenue will come from micro transactions similar to the current GW shop (make over, name change, fluff items and maybe skill/weapon unlocks) and by additional game content released further on.

1. So, the game works like many F2P games with item shop? (and I know we have to buy the game, not just download)

2. Does anyone know the system requirements to run the game? The graphics seems to be top in the MMOs genre

LOTRO player

• GoddSlayerGoddSlayer Member Posts: 2

The information they have released indicates the shop will be simmilar to GW's shop. The shop in that game was shortcuts (like all your PvP characters could then use all skills instead of having to earn them) or costumes to make your character look better. It all seems to be different than most F2P shops I have encountered. And they have said that the graphics are going to be low (the graphics card they play on is no longer sold).

• TyqerTyqer Member Posts: 8

Originally posted by kamikkaze

I`m not familiar with Guild Wars, just know  the game exists and I have two questions:

Cost

You will need to buy the game but there will be no subscription charge, revenue will come from micro transactions similar to the current GW shop (make over, name change, fluff items and maybe skill/weapon unlocks) and by additional game content released further on.

1. So, the game works like many F2P games with item shop? (and I know we have to buy the game, not just download)

2. Does anyone know the system requirements to run the game? The graphics seems to be top in the MMOs genre

In Guild Wars, you buy the game and you can play free for ever. You have your account, you have the game, you are good.

The "Item Shop" in Guild Wars isn't an Item Shop. It is more or less to change the look of your character. In NO POSSIBLE way will anyone who spends more money after the game have an advantage over you in combat. There were only 3-4 "costumes" that you could wear by spending money, that weren't allowed to be shown in PvP to prevent confusion, and were allowed to be shown in towns and such. They just made you look different.

People who made a character maybe at the very beginning of Guild Wars-may have gotten sick of how they looked, so they now have the option to spend money and change their face, hair, height and everything else about their character.

The system requirements will be low, from what I have heard, and will most likely have the option to go up a lot higher. (Have you seen the graphics!?). They said that it isn't much heavier on your system than the original Guild Wars is.

Boom!

• MumboJumboMumboJumbo Member UncommonPosts: 3,219

OP that is becoming one of the best sources of info I have seen on GW2. Great effort!

• DookzDookz Member UncommonPosts: 562

Keep it up EvilGeek. If you got time, maybe you could put somewhere there, that the World does take place in a large persistent world and perhaps make a comparison that it is not like the setup in GW1, others may not be aware of this huge difference.

Playing now: Cities: Skyline / Ori and the Blind Forest / Banished

• EvilGeekEvilGeek Member UncommonPosts: 1,258

Originally posted by Dookz
    Keep it up EvilGeek. If you got time, maybe you could put somewhere there, that the World does take place in a large persistent world and perhaps make a comparison that it is not like the setup in GW1, others may not be aware of this huge difference.

I added a brief paragraph near the very beginning to make that clear :)

I also added links to info from the official blog about the extended experience and links to the Necromancer skill videos.

Not a lot of real news, not surprising as they've been busy with conventions, but I'm hoping we'll get something new soon.

• dinamsdinams Member Posts: 1,362

PC gamer december are supposedly going to reveal about dungeons...

Keep an eye open for it OP

"It has potential"
    -Second most used phrase on existence
    "It sucks"
    -Most used phrase on existence

Originally posted by dinams
    PC gamer december are supposedly going to reveal about dungeons...
    Keep an eye open for it OP

Thanks, I'd noticed that, it has a release date in October so not too long to go :)

• DaximusDaximus Member UncommonPosts: 29

Originally posted by EvilGeek

Originally posted by Dookz

I added a brief paragraph near the very beginning to make that clear :)

I also added links to info from the official blog about the extended experience and links to the Necromancer skill videos.

Not a lot of real news, not surprising as they've been busy with conventions, but I'm hoping we'll get something new soon.

Thanks! I never liked GW1 because of this...well and a few other things. After reading this I have really started looking forward to GW2. I have finally found a game that looks really good and I will purchase! :)

Added more info on Armour, dungeons and crafting.

• AmazingAveryAmazingAvery Age of Conan AdvocateMember UncommonPosts: 7,188

There was another blog update today about the Cinematics: http://www.arena.net/blog/james-boer-opens-the-cinematics-toolbox

Twitter is a good source too: http://twitter.com/#!/guildwars2

Keep up the good work loving how the thread is developing.

• ArtiexArtiex Member Posts: 82

Good post man, I bet that took a while, this cleared quite a few things up for the game for me thanks alot and congrats on the sticky :) See yall in GW2

Playing: WoW
    Waiting On: SWTOR, GW2, Rift, TERA.

• TrojanLordTrojanLord Member Posts: 26

Oh god, I want this now.

• HikaruuHikaruu Member CommonPosts: 103

Wow. great job on this article man. It saves others a LOT of time going from page-to-page looking for all of this info ^^

I've made a few short amendments based on the recent official blog entries.

Thanks all for the thanks and encouragement, glad it's proving useful :)

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • astoriaastoria Member UncommonPosts: 1,677

You rock a lot for putting this together.

"Never met a pack of humans that were any different. Look at the idiots that get elected every couple of years. You really consider those guys more mature than us? The only difference between us and them is, when they gank some noobs and take their stuff, the noobs actually die." - Madimorga

Added info about the Hall of Monuments and links to the calculator.

• AmazingAveryAmazingAvery Age of Conan AdvocateMember UncommonPosts: 7,188

Some news from New York Comic Con today:

Combat:

Eric: We want GW2 combat to live in the moment where

you're constantly monitoring the battlefield and actively adjusting to what's

going on.

Dungeons:

Eric: Every dungeon has a unique armor and weapon set. At

the end of a run, you get a token so you can exchange for the exact piece you

want

On Professions:

Remaining four professions: at least one is a returning

profession, at least one is similar with a different name, and at least one is

new.

Auction House:

There will be an auction house. This will have both

in-game and web parts, and will be a really robust and cool feature.

• MARTZ91MARTZ91 Member Posts: 6

Awesome, got so much new information i didnt notice from website, thanks alot.

• AblestronAblestron Member Posts: 333

Originally posted by AmazingAvery

Combat:

Eric: We want GW2 combat to live in the moment where

you're constantly monitoring the battlefield and actively adjusting to what's

going on.

Dungeons:

Eric: Every dungeon has a unique armor and weapon set. At

the end of a run, you get a token so you can exchange for the exact piece you

want

On Professions:

new.

Auction House:

There will be an auction house. This will have both

in-game and web parts, and will be a really robust and cool feature.

I dont remember hearing this part before, thats interesting, I would expect something like a dervish paragon mix; some one who uses spears but enchants themselves and allies as well. A Paladin like class then?

• MMO.MaverickMMO.Maverick Member CommonPosts: 7,619

Originally posted by Ablestron

On Professions:

new.

I dont remember hearing this part before, thats interesting, I would expect something like a dervish paragon mix; some one who uses spears but enchants themselves and allies as well. A Paladin like class then?

Hmmm, I'm expecting a return of the mesmer class, so maybe that's the one with the different name? image

As for speculations, I also heard people talk a lot about assassin, so with mesmer and assassin, the quota of returning profession and similar profession with a different name could be filled.

... we should be expecting another class reveal sometime soon.

The ACTUAL size of MMORPG worlds: a comparison list between MMO's

The ease with which predictions are made on these forums:
    Fratman: "I'm saying Spring 2012 at the earliest [for TOR release]. Anyone still clinging to 2011 is deluding themself at this point."

• EsobaEsoba Member UncommonPosts: 16

Awesome threat.  Thanks for all the great info.

• Shroom_MageShroom_Mage Member UncommonPosts: 863

Originally posted by Ablestron

Paladin is highly suspected due to this image:

Spears are out, though. They've already announced all the weapons and clearly stated that there weren't any others.

On Professions:

new.

My guess is that Mesmer is returning, Assassin is renamed, and Paladin and Engineer are new. Of course, I could easily have Mesmer and Assassin backwards. Both of them would need a lot of their skills to be completely changed.

"Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind." -Dr. Seuss