Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

(Required Viewing) Fatigue System is Awesome!

Comments

• QSatuQSatu Member UncommonPosts: 1,795

After seeing this video it looks ok to be honest. I really don't see a problem here. Aren't there games like EvE where you too need x number of days to reach lvl x?

• AruviaAruvia Member UncommonPosts: 86

Originally posted by rem0te

Originally posted by Aruvia

maybe you can answer this for me, I am a bit ignorant on how the classes work, is it really better to level three classes in that time span then leveling two classes further?

I don't think I can say yes or no to that question, might be subject to one belief of what is better.  However, I can fill you in data to make your own conclusion:

"Classe" are actually called discipline.  You change discipline by simply changing weapon.  even gatherring and crafting are made into discipline.  you equip a mining pick, you are a miner.

Its important to remind its a discipline and not a classe or job like FFXI because when you think class and job, you think more level mean more hp, more str, ect...

A rank in a discipline give you attack move, spells, buff...  but will do nothing on your actual power.  Physical level, which are not tied to discipline, will give you HP, MP, Strenght, Dextirity, elemental resist and potency, ect...

Physical level xp gained is also tied to fatigue system, independant from discipline fatigue.  I could be wrong, but I think I read somewhere that physical level fatigue take longer than discipline fatigue to reach the "no xp threshold"

Once you get a Discipline to rank 10, you can equip rank 1-10 actions from any discipline you already leveled (there is some restriction to balance it out).   Number of action you  can equip is limited by action point.

At end game, people will likely want max rank on most discipline as having the ability to mix match action to face a specific chalenge will likely be key to wining hardcore content.

edit:

Casual player will have less versatility than someone who managed to rank more discipline, but he will be able to participate and enjoy those end game events at about the same time as the hardcore one, not 2 year later.

Wow thank you for summing that all up for me!

The video indicates that Physical level will stop gaining xp at same rate as first Discipline, Honestly I was avoiding this part in our discussion just because it made it seem even more restrictive to me.

in the end, on paper I do not like this system at all, as to whether or not I will actually feel an impact I just won't know for sure until the game launches,  it is just speculation until I can feel it in action.

• rem0terem0te Member Posts: 11

The video indicates that Physical level will stop gaining xp at same rate as first Discipline, Honestly I was avoiding this part in our discussion just because it made it seem even more restrictive to me.

in the end, on paper I do not like this system at all, as to whether or not I will actually feel an impact I just won't know for sure until the game launches,  it is just speculation until I can feel it in action.

Open beta is still going until sunday.  I suggest you give it a try to see how the fatigue would impact you.

However, since its an MMO and MMO change and evolve constantly, keep in mind "threshold" will likely be adjusted if they turn out being too restrictive.

• AruviaAruvia Member UncommonPosts: 86

Open beta is still going until sunday.  I suggest you give it a try to see how the fatigue would impact you.

However, since its an MMO and MMO change and evolve constantly, keep in mind "threshold" will likely be adjusted if they turn out being too restrictive.

oh, my understanding was that this feature was not yet in beta, my bad, unfortunatly the last time I tried to play it did not get along well with my aging rig. the client has been updated since then so I will give it another try. thank you again for your polite and well thought out conversation.

• mackdawg19mackdawg19 Member UncommonPosts: 842

I have never played this game nor cared to try it, but after the constant reading about it and this system. It seem's like a system that is very restrictive. I'm not sure why a developer would put a system in place that controls the xp gain regardless of playing one main class or 2 sub classes. Kind of shocked people are okay that a developer is telling you how to play your character and your okay with. I kind of get why a system like this would help everyone progress at the same level, but shouldn't it be up to the player as to how they want to develop there character? If they want to gimp themselves, they should be allowed to. This whole scenario sounds very Castero'ish if you know what I mean. Live this way, do this, eat that, spend here, dont buy there. Whatever floats your boat tho. Enjoy! :)

oh, my understanding was that this feature was not yet in beta, my bad, unfortunatly the last time I tried to play it did not get along well with my aging rig. the client has been updated since then so I will give it another try. thank you again for your polite and well thought out conversation.

Its in beta allright.  Although, most people didnt feel it until rank 16   :P

http://www.eorzeapedia.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=7330&start=0&hilit=surplus

• dirtyjoe78dirtyjoe78 Member Posts: 400

After reading everyones replies i still have seen no justification for limiting gameplay.  the arguement that it keeps casuals and hardcore players closer in level is a half truth used to steer you away from the fact that a casual player will always be behind a hardcore player.  Heres an example, casual player playes 2-3 hrs a day and manages to play their main and a another class a bit.  Hardcore player plays 4-6hrs a day manages to max out main and sub and possibly another sub job as well as craft some and explore or whatever.  In the end the casual player is still behind because their crafting isint leveled or their third job that they need isint leveled or their secondary job isint maxed for the available play time.  there are a lot of ways to spin it but the bottom line is it is limiting player choice on how to play the game. 

Why do some of you care if someone wants to powerlevel their main class to cap then go back and work on other jobs or crafting?  Is it not their money they spent on the game who are you or anyone else for that matter to tell someone how to play, to each their own, everyone has a different play style.  Whats fun to you may not be fun to me, maybe some people dont like being told go play another job you played this one enough for this week.  In the end it does nothing but limit players choice on how they want to play the game.

• RelGnRelGn Member Posts: 494

Nice very good explanation.

I should give it try.My mind is always open for new methods in mmos

• SimsuSimsu Member UncommonPosts: 386

I get a chuckle out of the people talking about the legalities of the fatigue system, breach of contract, etc etc. If you're going to go out there and throw out legal this, legal that, breach of contract, etc you might want to make sure you're using the terms correctly otherwise you look like an idiot.

Basically I see a lot of people (entitlment generation) crying about how unfair the system, that they've never played or tried, is because they can't have everything exactly the way they want it at all times, on demand, with a cherry on top. (Further that it's illegal and a breach of contract for a company to dare to make a game that doesn't have everything exactly how they, the individual, want it.)

Stupid people are stupid.

• Ramonski7Ramonski7 Member UncommonPosts: 2,662

After that explanation I'm even more intrigued by the system. It keeps the populations around the same level out the gate. But to be honest it only benefits first comers to the PC version and then again the PS3 version if that was what it's truely intended to do. It would have been cool if they released both versions at the same time, but since they are now staggered, it will be that much harder for PS3 players to catch up to their PC brethren. But this was a system put in place because the amount of exp needed to max level overall is lower than some rediculous asian grinder like Lineage.

And with that being said, may times players out-level content before developers intended them to. So blinded by the rush to hit the cap, players tend to skip a lot of worthwhile things. So if you're not thinking about leveling, maybe you'll think about taking up a crafting disciple or socialize a bit more than what's normally happening in mmos these days. Dunno, I still think it's worth giving a shot.

"Small minds talk about people, average minds talk about events, great minds talk about ideas."

• HerodesHerodes Member UncommonPosts: 1,494

Wouldn´t a standard Mentoring System like in EQ2, CoH and other games fix the problem with grouping of different Levels better with less uproar than this Fatigue version?
    No matter if the game is 5 days or 5 years old, people of all levels could do group content together.

• kray0nkray0n Member Posts: 26

The difference between a leveling curve and this system is that a leveling curve can only control how many hours it will take to reach max level.  the player can determine how those hours are broken up so for simplicity sake say it takes 360 hours to reach max level, if a player devoted 24 hours per day to playing they could reach max level in 15 days

now in this system again for simplicity sake say it takes 15 hours to reach the xp  cutoff (8 hours until decline and not sure on the math for the rest) that limits it to 15 hours in a week. So no matter how much time someone plays per day it would still take 24 weeks to achieve that 360 hours of experience gain.

Or you could play non-stop and never stop gaining XP, till you hit the level cap. That's by playing 11 disciplines(or less, depending on how fast thresholds decrease ) for 15 hours a day each week. image

• ZyonneZyonne Member Posts: 259

Originally posted by dirtyjoe78

After reading everyones replies i still have seen no justification for limiting gameplay.  the arguement that it keeps casuals and hardcore players closer in level is a half truth used to steer you away from the fact that a casual player will always be behind a hardcore player.  Heres an example, casual player playes 2-3 hrs a day and manages to play their main and a another class a bit.  Hardcore player plays 4-6hrs a day manages to max out main and sub and possibly another sub job as well as craft some and explore or whatever.  In the end the casual player is still behind because their crafting isint leveled or their third job that they need isint leveled or their secondary job isint maxed for the available play time.  there are a lot of ways to spin it but the bottom line is it is limiting player choice on how to play the game. 

Why do some of you care if someone wants to powerlevel their main class to cap then go back and work on other jobs or crafting?  Is it not their money they spent on the game who are you or anyone else for that matter to tell someone how to play, to each their own, everyone has a different play style.  Whats fun to you may not be fun to me, maybe some people dont like being told go play another job you played this one enough for this week.  In the end it does nothing but limit players choice on how they want to play the game.

The alternative isn't simply removing the cap. Part of the reason for the fatigue system is controlling how fast players advance through the game. All MMOs do this, especially PVE focused ones, so removing the fatigue system would mean making the xp curve much, much steeper to avoid players maxing out physical level and their main job in a couple of weeks. Hardcore players might experience this as a better alternative and less limiting, but the fatigue system sounds like it would be more appealing for most playeres.

Originally posted by Zyonne

The alternative isn't simply removing the cap. Part of the reason for the fatigue system is controlling how fast players advance through the game. All MMOs do this, especially PVE focused ones, so removing the fatigue system would mean making the xp curve much, much steeper to avoid players maxing out physical level and their main job in a couple of weeks. Hardcore players might experience this as a better alternative and less limiting, but the fatigue system sounds like it would be more appealing for most playeres.

Exactly.  for 10% of the player base actually finding this limiting, you have the 90% quite happy to finally play a MMO that progress rapidly.  "end game" is no longuer something that casual will think as "2 years from now"

edit:

If more people reach end game content, it also means end game content creation will receive more time from developement.  It the long run, it will benefit everyone.

edit 2:

If you still don't get "why we care if some powerlevel" here is the low down:  WE DON'T. However, we care about how long it will take US to reach max level.  get it? 

• Loke666Loke666 Member EpicPosts: 21,441

Exactly.  for 10% of the player base actually finding this limiting, you have the 90% quite happy to finally play a MMO that progress rapidly.  "end game" is no longuer something that casual will think as "2 years from now"

On the other hand is the effect of that that most players think that leveling is more or less a tutorial for the real game instead of at least as fun as the endgame.

Endgame seems to be limited to mostly raids and some PvP in most games so making the rest of the game less fun is not the direction I wanted the genre to take. I really don't care how long it takes to max level, I want to have really fun all the time and not just a part of the game.

Games should not focus all the work on a certain level range. And if it take a week or 2 years to reach the endgame, what does that really matter if you have fun? Problem is that skipping most of the game in a week is not fun in my book.

I don't see the need for leveling 80 or so levels at all if all the fun is in the endgame, just skip those levels then and let all start out as max, there is no need for levels if they just are a tutorial.

• ClocksimusClocksimus Member Posts: 354

I dislike  lack of freedom in an MMO because that is what i believe they should be about, the freedom to go out in another world and do whatever you feel like doing.  People are still not understanding the painful difference between a harsh leveling curve and the FFXIV system.

Leveling curves will not tell a player "you may not advance."

FFXIV Fatigue system will tell a player "you may not advance."

FFXIV  fatigue takes away player freedom to play the class he/sje enjoys and that is the bottomline. As a hardcore gamer this would effect me and I'm not exspecting casual gamers to fully understand why I don't, "just pick up another job".  I want to be a lancer and understand other classes can have cool abilties that are useful however, I want to be a lancer.  FFXIV tells me after I've  played too much according their formula that I can't be a lancer anymore.  Developers have a lot of right to do as they please with their services but this has to be crossing the line somewhere.

• AIMonsterAIMonster Member UncommonPosts: 2,059

look to my earlier post to see at least one way this can be an issue for even a mostly casual player.

"While this may seem great to a casual player at first, I can see at least one major potential issue here, I, like many other casual players have times that I can and would like to devote more time to a game than normal. for example when I take vacation, or for others during spring break or whatever, now with this system this could be pretty pointless, during a one week vacation I could easily log more than 24 hours playing, that would be exp capped and three classes capped  in just three 8 hour days I still have at least 4 days left in my vacation. blah..."

hmm, ok.  First, a correction:  its 8hours of full XP and 15hours before you gain no benefit.  so at 8hours a day, it'd take you 2 days of playing before reaching the "no xp gain threshold".  Still going with your 3 classes example above, thats 6 days @ 8 hour a day before your 3 main classes are capped.  Or is it?  by the 6th day, your threshold will have lowered on your first class, meaning you can still grind a bit more.  Lets say a 4 day break lowered it enough to allow you to play another 8 hours.  so you have a 7th day worth of playing here.  And on the 8th day? well, Fatigue system reset itself every week, so you can do another full week of 8hour per day grinding on your 3 main class.

Now, I do get your point.  its a valid one:  system can hinder your freedom at playing the game in burst.

But considering you can play 3 classe full time 8 hours a day non stop seems pretty reasonable limit to me.

maybe you can answer this for me, I am a bit ignorant on how the classes work, is it really better to level three classes in that time span then leveling two classes further?

I'm sure a lot of people are going to tell you otherwise, but I feel that they haven't played enough to realize it really isn't beneficial to level other classes besides your main.  Rarely do you get an ability that is useful via cross-classing.  Conjurer and Tham can be useful to level as a sub-job if you solo, but in a group situation you can have someone main these classes instead and get all the benefits you would sub-jobbing them moreso.

The problem is threefold:  adding an ability to a class other than your main significantly reduces the power of that skill as well as increasing the cooldown timer, point allocation reduces the effectiveness further of say using conjurer skills while having a melee main job, and the majority of the good class skills are specific to the weapon you are wielding, thus you cannot subjob them.

Let me take the time to briefly discuss each individual problem and why it's beneficial to just level a single job.

1.  Reduced power and increased cooldown timers - Using a skill like the one mentioned in the video as a good option for a Gladiator, "Bloodbath" on Marauder.  Normally this heals for a good portion (75%).  Bloodbath takes about one turn you could normally spend swinging your weapon to build TP and deal damage.  It has a relatively short cooldown (one minute?).  Now, let's say I want to use Bloodbath on my Gladiator.  Well the portion healed is now about 40% and the cooldown timer is now increased to one minute and 30 seconds.  Bloodbath is now ineffective when used in combat, because the amount of stamina required to use it could be better spent on swinging for more damage and threat, rather than on a piss poor heal that wouldn't even negate half a hit from a monster.  Most of the melee buffing skills are already lackluster anyway so making them weaker and increasing their cooldowns doesn't help the situation.

2.  Point Allocation - This is a terrible system that actually penalizing you for class switching.  If you want to make melee jobs your primary jobs you'd put points into Strength, Dexterity, and Vitality; however if you wanted to use skills from say a Conjurer like Cure, it will be so weak due to your low values of Mind and Intelligence.  The weak cure will create a similar situation mentioned above, not only will your MP be severely limited that you can only use Cure sparingly, but your Cure will consume time (about 2 attack turns) to heal for measly damage.  Most of the time you are better off just attacking normally or using skills only within your main class.

3.  Good skills are specific to that weapon - Since your main class is basically whatever weapon you have equipped, if you have say an Axe you won't be able to use the really good skills from other jobs like Speed Surge from Lancer which is an exceptionally good skill.  Most of the really great class defining abilities are limited to a class's weapon.

4.  If you want Conjurer buffs or Tham's debuffs just bring one along.  They can cast the buffs on others anyway at full strength.

Only a few skills are always good when cross-classed such as Second Wind, Taunt (if a tank), and Provoke (if a tank), but these skills are also available at low level too anyway so you won't have to spend much time leveling another class to get them.

This is coming from someone who maxed Physical Level (30) in Beta 3.  I had a 25 Lancer, 23 Marauder, 15 Pugilist, 14 Conjurer, 14 Tham, and 8 Gladiator as well as most crafts leveled to ~10.

Surplus is an issue and is a strong penalty at the cost of a false "reward" for casual players in my opinion.  Note that people not experencing surplus have not experienced it because they were either in a beta version that didn't have it or have not reached 14 in a particular class (it starts at 14 in that class's rank, not physical level).  It's not quite as bad as some players make it out to be (first couple thresholds accumlate quickly and it doesn't unaccumlate quickly, but I've never seen it higher than 20%), but it is a penalty and severely limits player's freedom.

EDIT:  I forgot to add that crafting and land jobs are an exception.  For some reason you need to level about 5 or 6 crafting and harvesting professions to be self-substaining in a crafting class.  Crafting is far from casual, is complex, and requires a huge time investment.  In fact nothing about this game is really going to appeal to casual players, which makes the surplus mechanic even more odd.

• unbound55unbound55 Member UncommonPosts: 325

I absolutely love this thread.  People willing to rationalize a really bad system as something positive.  As always, if you enjoy this, more power to you.  But, in reality, you are simply rewarding Sony's unwillingness to provide sufficient content.

As for myself (a fairly casual gamer), I do get to play most nights for an hour or two, and there are some weekends (every 2nd or 3rd) where I can devote some down time to just playing a game.  It would tick me off to no end to get to a point of playing my character the way I want only to find that at some point during the weekend, I will no longer be able to progress as I see fit.

Sony and the FF fanboys can spin this as something positive until they are blue in their faces, but it is nothing short of laziness on Sony's part, and is exactly the opposite way that most gamers would like to go.  Again, this is just another nail in the Sony coffin if they were looking to pull in non-FF fanboys into the game.

• dirtyjoe78dirtyjoe78 Member Posts: 400

edit:

If more people reach end game content, it also means end game content creation will receive more time from developement.  It the long run, it will benefit everyone.

edit 2:

If you still don't get "why we care if some powerlevel" here is the low down:  WE DON'T. However, we care about how long it will take US to reach max level.  get it? 

OK you care how long it will take you to get to max level and the way you stated it the fatigue system will never bother you so again why is it there, why limit those that want to play different.  For you people being in the 90% of people this will most likely never effect you sure bitch and care alot about how the 10% want to play.  Your arguement still does not justify the system being in place.  Even if you took the system out by all accounts you need at least one sub job leveled and some crafting to be a decent asset to any group.  If you took the cap out and someone played enough to max their main job they still have to go back and level 1 or 2 sub jobs as well as crafting so even if it took the most hardcore a couple weeks to max one job thats still another month or more of leveling crafting and other jobs before they are ready to do the end game content effectively.  So again why limit players choice on how they do things it seems to me that you are going to get there the same speed no matter how you level things.

Edit: Spelling

OK you care how long it will take you to get to max level and the way you stated it the fatigue system will never bother you so again why is it there, why limit those that want to play different.  For you people being in the 90% of people this will most likely never effect you sure bitch and care alot about how the 10% want to play.  Your arguement still does not justify the system being in place.  Even if you took the system out by all accounts you need at least one sub job leveled and some crafting to be a decent asset to any group.  If you took the cap out and someone played enough to max their main job they still have to go back and level 1 or 2 sub jobs as well as crafting so even if it took the most hardcore a couple weeks to max one job thats still another month or more of leveling crafting and other jobs before they are ready to do the end game content effectively.  So again why limit players choice on how they do things it seems to me that you are going to get there the same speed no matter how you level things.

Edit: Spelling

Again: if they remove Fatigue, they will muliply XP required by level.  If they multiply XP per level, It will take me longer.

• RenoakuRenoaku Member EpicPosts: 3,157

Not as bad as they said it would be but even if I did play this game, I would like end up maxing out all classes in a matter of a day or two.

Also here is the real question on this video.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=abE09-tqhoM

Does actual EXP/Leveling up only occur when people are fighting a monster, or does this include just logging into the game, or running around for one hour like a retard? This is the real question that has not be answered by anyone yet.

Also what advantage is this going to give group players compared to solo players?

• AIMonsterAIMonster Member UncommonPosts: 2,059

Originally posted by Renoaku

Not as bad as they said it would be but even if I did play this game, I would like end up maxing out all classes in a matter of a day or two.

Also here is the real question on this video.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=abE09-tqhoM

Does actual EXP/Leveling up only occur when people are fighting a monster, or does this include just logging into the game, or running around for one hour like a retard? This is the real question that has not be answered by anyone yet.

Also what advantage is this going to give group players compared to solo players?

I believe it's a set amount of EXP (what SE thinks is about the average in that amount of playtime).  So, you'd have to be doing things that get you EXP.  Not sure the rate of decrease when not using a class, but it was very slow in beta 3 and I only noticed it be lowered by the weekly resets.

It gives no advantage to grouping over solo play.  If anything getting surplus may hinder grouping, because if someone you need to group has massive surplus on their main class they'd be less inclined to group and level that class.  Honestly, the game needs more incentives on group play period, right now there is almost no reason to group at all which is really bad for a MMORPG.

• EricDanieEricDanie Member UncommonPosts: 2,238

If the leveling curve was reduced to fit the fatigue system, then this is actually quite good, especially as it directs you into horizontal growth, something most wouldn't even touch before they reach the maximum vertical growth (aka people rushing to the final level in other MMOs before working on their gear, reputation, PvP or anything else).

• kray0nkray0n Member Posts: 26

Why doesn't WoW have a multi-class system? Why restrict me to one class? Why is there an XP curve? I want it to be exactly like FFXIV!

• Joseph_KerrJoseph_Kerr Member RarePosts: 1,113

What a second rate manipulative grind this system is.