Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Level 80 - Login get my Frost emblems, rinse and repeat, Help

outfctrloutfctrl Member UncommonPosts: 3,619

ok, I have been playing since release, not steady, but playing off and on.  My company layed me off for a few months so I was bored and started an Orc Hunter.  Got him to 80 pretty quick. Now, my gear score is only 4989, no one lets me into the 10 and 25 man.

So everyday I log in, get my two frosts (5 man) and do a few more for Triumph emblems, then log out.  Anyone have any suggestions to relieve my coming up boredom?  What else can I do to get with the big boys or just have fun again?  I am back to work now and dont have allot of free time.

Thanks all

Comments

• karat76karat76 Member UncommonPosts: 1,000

Your server is a bunch of arses then. That gear score is fine for VoA,Uldar or ICC 10 mans on normal. Probelm now is that people want others to be over geared. I have seen people asking for a 5.7k gearscore to do normal ICC10.

• Joshua69Joshua69 Member UncommonPosts: 953

Yea my alt has that same problem. gear score about 5K and people tell me to do ToC 10 man to get better gear for ICC but uhh who the hell is doing ToC anymore? so yea you are pretty much ** sorry. Just collect Heirlooms. thats what im doing. I have over half of them lol

• FreeBooteRFreeBooteR Member Posts: 333

They should rename the game to World of Gear Score.

Archlinux ftw

• SuperXero89SuperXero89 Member UncommonPosts: 2,551

Originally posted by Joshua69

Yea my alt has that same problem. gear score about 5K and people tell me to do ToC 10 man to get better gear for ICC but uhh who the hell is doing ToC anymore? so yea you are pretty much ** sorry. Just collect Heirlooms. thats what im doing. I have over half of them lol

That's funny.  I have around a 5.2k GS and am at least usually in the middle of the field in terms of DPS.  If I'm 3rd or 4th DPS on a 10 man what sort of total crap gear score do those other 5 people have?  Most of the time, they don't have crap gear.  Most of the time the either have the same gear as me or slightly lower. I'm not trying to brag on myself as I consider myself an average player, but I'm simply trying to make the point that players can certainly be competitive in ICC with only a 5k GS. Even with that gear score, I have made it past the blood queen, and after that, how many true bosses are left in ICC before the Lich King?

Secondly, you could just do what my friend does.  Occasionally raid leaders do not actually check your gearscore, so he actually completed the first wing of ICC with like a 3.2k GS and got some nice loot.  By inviting himself to raids he really shouldn't have gone on, he's right up there with me after only a week of play.

• gauge2k3gauge2k3 Member Posts: 442

This is world of warcraft now.  You can't get into a raid in which the only upgrades for you are in the raid until you have gear from that raid.  It's a catch 22.  No one wants to do a raid with someone who hasn't done it before or is not completely overgeared for it.

As far as the emblems go.  WoW destroyed it's community entirely with the addition of those combined with the looking for dungeon tool, and the elimination of any progression whatsoever.

WoW is a stat/loot game.  If you want adventure, otherwise known as interesting content, you need to look to another game.  These other games may have flaws that do not exist in WoW.  So you have to make a compromise.  Do you want flawless gameplay or interesting gameplay?  The choice is yours, I choose interesting gameplay.

• outfctrloutfctrl Member UncommonPosts: 3,619

Actually, I think my gear is pretty strong, buit still I get kicked.  They are checking gear scores left and right now.  I do a shit load of damage and can hold my own in many situations and know how to play this guy.  Look at my toon.  Where is he messed up?  I cant figure it out.

WOW ARMORY

It is very frustrating.

• neonakaneonaka Member UncommonPosts: 779

LoL I just seen a few nights ago some moron wanted 6k+ GS for the Sarth Weekly!

He was looking "LFM Healers and DPS [weekly] PST!

So I sent him a tell (6.1k Holy Paladin)

"hey man I will heal it send an inv pls"

Reply: "You have over 6k gs?"

"Um yes I do but it's just OS10 Sarth you could do it with like 4k or so"

Reply: "Well I am only looking for players with 6k+"

"Why in the world would you need overkill like that on such a simple encounter?"

Reply: "I only want good players, and I don't want any wipes or anything, better to use high GS players"

"Ok your a moron, and people now only us GS as a tool to get themselves carried through the game, I'll wait for a group who aren't full of idiots."

Reply: "Suit yourself"

Now can anyone tell me why the hell you need a 6K GS for OS10? 6K GS are for 25man ICC yet he wants a full 10man OS in 6K GS. What a f***ing noob.

Some of us still try and defend players who just need to be given a chance to show they can play the game without a number attached next to their names... Wow or wow what have you become.

Originally posted by outfctrl

Actually, I think my gear is pretty strong, buit still I get kicked.  They are checking gear scores left and right now.  I do a shit load of damage and can hold my own in many situations and know how to play this guy.  Look at my toon.  Where is he messed up?  I cant figure it out.

WOW ARMORY

It is very frustrating.

See your gear is fine, I would totally take you into ICC10m for a shot at some gear. Just reroll to my server bro, we will f**k shit up!

I guess my underlying questions is: How do I get better gear if no one will let me in their 10 and 25 man?

I just got those boots in the last few nights.  It was a 5 man (lucky drop).  Now, I cant use anymore drops in the 5 man.  I pass on everything!!

I guess I will keep trying to get in a 10 man.  Another issue is, I am not in a guild.  The last one I was in there was like two (2) people on at 8 pm EST!!!  Every night it was the same thing, hardly anyone on, so I quit. 

I thought about just doing battlegrounds for awhile, but is there any point to that?

I guess my underlying questions is: How do I get better gear if no one will let me in their 10 and 25 man?

I just got those boots in the last few nights.  It was a 5 man (lucky drop).  Now, I cant use anymore drops in the 5 man.  I pass on everything!!

I guess I will keep trying to get in a 10 man.  Another issue is, I am not in a guild.  The last one I was in there was like two (2) people on at 8 pm EST!!!  Every night it was the same thing, hardly anyone on, so I quit. 

I thought about just doing battlegrounds for awhile, but is there any point to that?

like another posted stated its a catch 22, but it really sounds like you are on a very bad server. You are equipped enough for:

10 and 25 VoA (for extra frost badges)

25 ToGC

10 ICC

and honestly I would let you in a RS10 also.

So I really do not know why it is going so bad for you. You can get 2 piece T10 just from VoA 25 if you lucky.

Only other problem I see that you have is your class. Hunters are a dime a dozen for dps. Everyone and their mother has one, and the majority that do have one play them very poorly which gave the name (huntards) I know on my server at least hunters are typically glazed over on that view alone. Even still you shouldn't be having that hard of a time.

• drbaltazardrbaltazar Member UncommonPosts: 7,856

ya most of us are slowly trickling back since gnomer fight and other stuff were made avail!but the true number will show up when cataclysm is released!

• RydesonRydeson Member UncommonPosts: 3,852

welcome to gearcraft.. so some call it..  

You my friend have hit the wall like so many others before you..  I hit the wall last year, cancelled and not looked back.. There is always hope that the Bliz devs will wake up and make some changes, but I won't hold my breath..  The game needs more global events that do not restrict players due to raid size or gear..  I have given Blizz those suggestions in detail and never heard back.. Shame, is that our entire guild, which was small, but was 20 strong all loved it and wanted something like that in the game..

Congrats tho for getting back to work..  The economy needs you more then Bliz does.. :)

Originally posted by Rydeson

welcome to gearcraft.. so some call it..  

You my friend have hit the wall like so many others before you..  I hit the wall last year, cancelled and not looked back.. There is always hope that the Bliz devs will wake up and make some changes, but I won't hold my breath..  The game needs more global events that do not restrict players due to raid size or gear..  I have given Blizz those suggestions in detail and never heard back.. Shame, is that our entire guild, which was small, but was 20 strong all loved it and wanted something like that in the game..

Congrats tho for getting back to work..  The economy needs you more then Bliz does.. :)

We had a warrior in our 5 man that had a gearscore of over 6700!!!  We ran through the dungeon, and I am not kidding, in like less than 15 minutes.  He outdamaged me and still tanked.  I am usually #1 or #2 in DPS and Damage.  He smoked me.

I took a screen shot of this guy.  He has been the only one that I have seen with a GS of over 6700.  BTW...what is the highest gear score you can get?

As far as work, yeah, I was off for 2.5 months and was draining my money market account of $800.00 a week.  They only said I was going to be off for like 3-4 weeks, so I didnt collect unemployment.  2.5 months go by, then they called me to come back.  It really sucked. ow I have my resume  out there and will quit in a heartbeat.

• stayontargetstayontarget Member RarePosts: 6,519

ok, I have been playing since release, not steady, but playing off and on.  My company layed me off for a few months so I was bored and started an Orc Hunter.  Got him to 80 pretty quick. Now, my gear score is only 4989, no one lets me into the 10 and 25 man.

So everyday I log in, get my two frosts (5 man) and do a few more for Triumph emblems, then log out.  Anyone have any suggestions to relieve my coming up boredom?  What else can I do to get with the big boys or just have fun again?  I am back to work now and dont have allot of free time.

Thanks all

My first question would not be about the gear but is it FUN with the big boys these days or are you just wasting your time trying to get gear with no rainbow at the other end......what say you big boys!!   yea or nay ?

Velika: City of Wheels: Among the mortal races, the humans were the only one that never built cities or great empires; a curse laid upon them by their creator, Gidd, forced them to wander as nomads for twenty centuries...

• jdnewelljdnewell Member UncommonPosts: 2,237

My suggestion is to play something else. World of Gearscore is an apt description of what this game has become.

WOW ARMORY

It is very frustrating.

I don't think you should raid in marksman until you get better gear, but outside of that, you have almost the exact same gear that my hunter had when I started raiding ICC. PUGs will naturally expect people to have a higher GS than they need (though the level to which this is true varies from server to server), so the only real advice I can give you is to try and find a guild that will take you to ICC despite your somewhat low gear score.

If you can't find a guild that doesn't mind taking you to ICC, and you can't ever find a PUG raid, my only suggestion is to change servers, because I know for a fact that not every server is quite as anal about gearscore.

• solocronosolocrono Member Posts: 173

This is the wall I'm at with 80s I have.  The only thing I can do with any of them is grind 5 mans and get alll the emblem items I can, after that, I can't get invites to any Raids.... any.  Which is why I just enjoy myself leveling all my alts to 80 and waiting for Cata, so at least maybe I can Raid at some point in that expansion.  And hopefully when they redo everything and make the game play a little differently it'll be more fun to Raid again, and not have to rely so much on that stupid Gear score crap.... but that probably won't happen. 

And I like what that example was of the conversation  "We only want good players"    LMAO, so a  "Good player" constitutes someone who has a 6k gear score?    Awsome mind frame that 95% of the WoW population has....   awsome.  It's reasons like that I don't even like to deal with the population anymore, I just play and do what lets me enjoy myself in the game, which as I said, is just leveling all my alts to 80.  Nothing else.  

You also asked about PvP.... nah, it's pointless too.... you just grind your BG's until you have all your PvP gear, then there's nothing to do after  that either.  It's actually amazing that this game has so many players the more I think about it.....

Originally posted by SuperXero89

WOW ARMORY

It is very frustrating.

I don't think you should raid in marksman until you get better gear, but outside of that, you have almost the exact same gear that my hunter had when I started raiding ICC. PUGs will naturally expect people to have a higher GS than they need (though the level to which this is true varies from server to server), so the only real advice I can give you is to try and find a guild that will take you to ICC despite your somewhat low gear score.

If you can't find a guild that doesn't mind taking you to ICC, and you can't ever find a PUG raid, my only suggestion is to change servers, because I know for a fact that not every server is quite as anal about gearscore.

I am dual spec'd, but I like Markmanship the best.  I like the buff I can give everyone.   I know it is stupid, but I feel like I am helping.

• MMOman101MMOman101 Member UncommonPosts: 1,786

WOW ARMORY

It is very frustrating.

I have not played WoW in about 3 years and this sounds just awful. 

Why are people PUGing this stuff.  I thought Raids were suppose to be Guild content.  Is it like UBERs used to be where people Pug it to get into guilded raids?  I am sure the game is very strange to me know.  Glad I left.  Good luck in finding a home so you can do the content you want to see. 

Also, if Pugs can do it can't you get in a guild that runs out and see the content like that. 

“It's unwise to pay too much, but it's worse to pay too little. When you pay too much, you lose a little money - that's all. When you pay too little, you sometimes lose everything, because the thing you bought was incapable of doing the thing it was bought to do. The common law of business balance prohibits paying a little and getting a lot - it can't be done. If you deal with the lowest bidder, it is well to add something for the risk you run, and if you do that you will have enough to pay for something better.”

--John Ruskin

• AmarandesAmarandes Member Posts: 104

Thanks all

Have you tried joining a guild yet. People in guilds should not ask for GearScore when running with each other. And if guilds ask for gearscores on their application...well, then they're idiots.

• sadonalsadonal Member UncommonPosts: 6

You should try forming your own raid/guild. Gathering like minded individuals around you is what makes online games worth playing.

• MMOman101MMOman101 Member UncommonPosts: 1,786

Originally posted by Elidien

The PUG/random system has killed the needs for guilds. ICC is so easy now with the 30% buff that its a cake walk. Remember, we are in the last few weeks/months before an expansion so its to be expected.

If cat is that cose, is it really that important to get into 10 mans that are Pugs anyway?

“It's unwise to pay too much, but it's worse to pay too little. When you pay too much, you lose a little money - that's all. When you pay too little, you sometimes lose everything, because the thing you bought was incapable of doing the thing it was bought to do. The common law of business balance prohibits paying a little and getting a lot - it can't be done. If you deal with the lowest bidder, it is well to add something for the risk you run, and if you do that you will have enough to pay for something better.”

--John Ruskin

Originally posted by MMOman101

WOW ARMORY

It is very frustrating.

I have not played WoW in about 3 years and this sounds just awful. 

Why are people PUGing this stuff.  I thought Raids were suppose to be Guild content.  Is it like UBERs used to be where people Pug it to get into guilded raids?  I am sure the game is very strange to me know.  Glad I left.  Good luck in finding a home so you can do the content you want to see. 

Also, if Pugs can do it can't you get in a guild that runs out and see the content like that. 

Yeah, you're now able to PUG the endgame raids -- at least the first couple sets of bosses.  PUGs usually wipe at some point after the first wing, but on rare occasions, I've seen them go all the way to Sindragosa.

• JoarnajJoarnaj Member Posts: 258

My guild fell apart and I tend to think that, at least in part, it was because of Gear Score and those who lacked it. I now have a 5500 gear score but honestly I'm not that interested in joining a PUG for ICC and my current guild is a noob guild that doesn't raid, which is also fine. I'm now splitting my time between WoW and other games - currently LotRO and DDO and I also have a RoM account. My WoW time is now spent trying to get Loremaster before Cat drops, although I may try to pug ICC eventually just to down the Lich King.

To answer your question, though, like many others have suggested you should see if you can find a guild. It's probably the absolute worst time to try to get into one that is active since player involvement is at a minimum now that all content has been downed, but it is your best bet.

As for pvp, I hate to say it but if you want a good gs for pugs you should probably do some pvp. It will take no time at all to replace your low gear score items with 245 or 264 items and this will pop your gear score up to 5500. If you were guilded this would probably not be necessary, but if you are looking for pugs it's essential. It makes no difference if the pvp gear is actually better than what you have (although in many cases it will be, if only slightly) you just need the score. This probably won't work in most 10 man pugs since the leader will likely be actually looking at your gear, but in 25's you could almost certainly fly under the radar as long as you can do your job with a little competence.

Sorry about the troubles. Believe me, I feel your pain.

I was pleasantly surprised when I went from Apprentice to full 5 star Elite in under 2 months. I was pleasantly surprised again when I went from Elite to just barely Hardcore in 2 weeks. Apprentice, here I come!

• Oracle_FefeOracle_Fefe Member CommonPosts: 221

If you are a hardcore gamer, you could attempt pvp to get the gear or join a hardcore raiding guild with training ICC progression runs.

If you're a casual gamer, thats probably it for you. Blizzard has been giving casual players the cold shoulder and expect them to waste five hours along with the hardcore gamers to do a raid (Which they will likely replace the casual with another hardcore.)

Or you can roleplay, if you find other people like that..its nearly impossible for me.