Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

How to setup the gamepad controller

VikingGamerVikingGamer Member UncommonPosts: 1,350

So I tried to use a controller and it turns out that there is no default setup for the controller. It does absolutely nothing without being first configured. I did eventually find the config utility after googling. The problem for me is that I have no idea where to even start with configuring this thing. I don't know what a standard or default layout would be. I don't play console games since the original Atari. Being able to customize is great but I would like to be able to start from somewhere and then adjust things to my liking as I go. I tried once to set it up but it started doing screwy things like moving me and opening a menu at the same time.

So could someone help me to either:

1. Find the default settings if I simply missed them.

or

2. Show me exactly, button for button, joystick for joystick where you map things.

I have a ps3 styled usb controller. A Steelseries 3GC. 

When I configured it earlier I found that I had 10 buttons that could be configured but there are 12 actions to give buttons to. So which 2 are not as necessary and can be skipped?

I also found that the dpad and the left stick both gave the same signals. Is that normal? Do you really only get 2 actual sticks and not really 3? Because the config tool clearly has room for 3 to be configured.

All die, so die well.

Comments

• cukimungacukimunga Member UncommonPosts: 2,258

Well the best part about it is you can make it however you want it.  Just try a layout and see how it goes and go from there. 

Here is my set up IDK if this will help you at all. But I'm using a 360 controller.

• VikingGamerVikingGamer Member UncommonPosts: 1,350
    OK so it looks like your three sticks give you actual axis responses. and all three are different. I get axis 5 and axis 1 from both the dpad and the left stick. and then I get buttons 1-4 from the right stick. That makes sense of why it was doing screwy things. Any ideas why it would give such odd signals to the config tool? I have installed the 3GC driver.

All die, so die well.

• 42352fr342352fr3 Member Posts: 19

here's my setup

Will the actual sony controller plug into a pc? do you need an adapter?

how do you tab/move the selector to the next target?

how do you use your hotkeys for abilities from the controller?

And thanks, that layout makes sense and I didn't even know you could press the sticks as buttons.

All die, so die well.

• PhoenixFhirePhoenixFhire Member Posts: 33

Originally posted by VikingGamer

And thanks, that layout makes sense and I didn't even know you could press the sticks as buttons.

If you have a PS3 controller, it's just a regular USB port, so yes.  However, to use a PS2/PSX controller, gotta get an adapter.  There are some additional steps to make it work though.  Here's the instructions for the PS3 controller installation: http://www.ffxionline.com/forums/game-setup-tweeking-optimizing-q/72898-ps3-controller-ps3-ffxigamepad-config-setup.html

• xcaliburxcalibur Member Posts: 571

Originally posted by PhoenixFhire

If you have a PS3 controller, it's just a regular USB port, so yes.  However, to use a PS2/PSX controller, gotta get an adapter.  There are some additional steps to make it work though.  Here's the instructions for the PS3 controller installation: http://www.ffxionline.com/forums/game-setup-tweeking-optimizing-q/72898-ps3-controller-ps3-ffxigamepad-config-setup.html

The ps3 drivers were too much of a pain for me so I got an xbox controller...

However, FFXIV supports pretty much anything, so if I were getting a controller ONLY for FF, I'd go get a $15 logtech/thrustmaster ripoff of the ps3 controller and plug and play.

• LohdownLohdown Member UncommonPosts: 78

If you are in Beta you can log into the Beta Test Site and find all of the keyboard, mouse, and gamepad controls here.

https://dev-na.ffxiv.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=19116#Post19116

The moment I read "It's like" or "WoW" is the moment I stop reading your post.

• lightningjaclightningjac Member Posts: 92

Originally posted by PhoenixFhire

that driver is not doing anything for my PS3 gamepad, its still not even turning on.

• lightningjaclightningjac Member Posts: 92

how do i put axis 3,4,5,6?

I tried an xbox controller and it seems to work well. 

The only think I don't like about the xbox controllers is that the dpad and the left stick are switched.  I like the two sticks to be down below and the dpad to be off to the left. Oh well. It works for now. I might look into that logitech controller, it looks pretty sensible.

All die, so die well.

• skeaserskeaser Member RarePosts: 4,180

I tried an xbox controller and it seems to work well. 

The only think I don't like about the xbox controllers is that the dpad and the left stick are switched.  I like the two sticks to be down below and the dpad to be off to the left. Oh well. It works for now. I might look into that logitech controller, it looks pretty sensible.

Only downside with my logitech is that I've had trouble with some other "Games for Windows" type games. Worked perfect for FFXIV though, even used 4 (triangle / y) for PTT in vent.

Sig so that badges don't eat my posts.